Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• albellalbell Posts: 185
    I think the S will be a huge hit. As to the R, I agree about the price/options issue. If I hadn't been able to secure such a great deal, I would not have bought it...or would have delayed purchase.

I do, however, think that MB marketing has gone awry...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    2007 S-Class

S550 is priced at $86,175.

M
    It appears that we're going to get a ML320 CDI, R320 CDI and GL320 CDI in addition to the E320 CDI, all with the new V6 engines using "Bluetec" technology. The article HERE

M
    The SL has gone under the knife. The first pictures of the facelifted SL are out:

Short Article

In short the SL500 (SL550 in the U.S.) gets the new 5.5L V8 from the S550, the SL350 (non-U.S.) get the new 3.5L V6 from every other V6 Benz and happily the SL55 AMG keeps the 5.5L Supercharged V8 with an extra 17 hp, which will put the U.S. SL55 at 510hp. There are now shift paddles on the AMG models instead of buttons on the back side of the steering wheel. Other small lights/bumpers changes and a new 3-slat grille like the CLK top off the exterior changes. Interior changes also, but at this point not sure what else has been changed besides the addition of new shift paddles on the AMG models.

M
    The new CL Coupe (kin to the S-Class) will be presented in March at the Geneva Auto Show. A few more spy photos have surfaced. See Article. Looks a lot more promising than the last batch of photos.

M

Article

In Brief: The SL500 gets the new 5.5L V8 from the new S-Class (382hp) and will likely be re-names the SL550 for the U.S. market. SL600 gets the same power boost as the 2007 S600 - 510hp for the U.S. market. The SL55 gets a power boost also - 510hp for the U.S. market. The SL also gains the second generation ABC system from the new S-Class, new steering rack, real shift paddles with the AMG Sport package (7G-Tronic). Many interior trim, exterior color changes and higher quality materials. The facelifted SL will be shown at the Geneva show the first week of March and likely go on sale in the U.S. around June or so would be my guess.

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    2005 was the tough year. The S has arrived to help out in 06.

I predict Mercedes will have its 13th consecutive sales increase this year: something in the order of 240,000+ units.

The facelifted E only needs to gain a bit of traction to beat 2005 totals.

The C is the weak link in the chain for the next two years.
    Correct on all counts. Going to be a long year for the C-Class. The only thing that will save it from falling complete off the charts is that it finally has some great engines that are competitive with the class.

Up next SL (facelift already been shown), E-Class facelift and the CL. All of these should be on the stand at Geneva the first week of March.

M
    very optomistic about Mercedes' future: more so than at any time in the last 5 years.

The CLS and new S are great. The other new vehicles seem to be on target as well. Also, over the last 6-12 months management has realized that quality and reliability problems are serious matters that need to be put right.

This is the first time in years that Mercedes, Cadillac, Rolls and Bentley are all doing well at the same time!
    I wouldn't count on the Jan sales figures though, they'll be in the 12-15K range if the typical Jan is anything to go by. Import luxury brands always seem to get off to a slow start. Mercedes in particular doesn pick up until like March-April. This year it might be Feb since the new S will go on sale around the middle of Feb. The new GL will arrive in March from all I've seen on it so far. The facelifted SL and E arrive in May-June along with the S65 AMG. The ML63 is due in April also. Not sure when the CLS, R and ML get the new V8.

M
    be slow, which is typical for MB.

My optomism is based on Mercedes doing well over the next several years. There may be a few weak months, but the new products are on target.

I too think the GL will be a serious player. The E facelift should boost late summer and fall sales. The SL is a profit center for DC: every extra sale that results from updating the big roadster helps the bottom line.

By the way: did MB deliberately choose the worst possible camera angles for early release S-class pictures? Your pictures from Detroit and others I have seen look so much better than those early ones.
    By the way: did MB deliberately choose the worst possible camera angles for early release S-class pictures? Your pictures from Detroit and others I have seen look so much better than those early ones.

I dunno, but the car looks so much better in real life and in real life photos than it did in those initial press shots.

M
    The details for the SL55 and SL65 AMG models have been announced.

Article

M
  • were up 3%. Quite impressive after the big December.

The CLS, M, G and R carried the ball for January sales: Some of the other models were down quite dramatically.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/01/209083.html
    I don't know if I'd call it impressive, but any improvement is good I guess. It is interesting though that the Jan numbers are like a third of the Dec 2005 number. The Feb-April numbers will set the pace for the year I think. That is when the S and GL go on sale.

M
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    The R, which I own and love, sold less than 1000. Ouch. I cant believe MB cant move these things.
    Well MB's Jan sales are always slow especially compared with the Dec that just past. I don't think the R will ever live up to Mercedes' initial expectations or 20-30K a year, but it will do better than Jan's total for sure. Jan is always a steep dropoff month for MB.

M
    Spy pics for the upcoming 2008 C-Class are all over the web now it seems:

another pic

one the road

The profile looks like that of the new S-Class, but the rear looks to be the same as the upcoming CL.

M
This discussion has been closed.