Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Aren't they! This is reason why Mercedes didn't fall off like Cadillac or others, they never stopped building great performing, looking, well engineered cars. They just go carried away with electronics and didn't take the time to make sure everything was up to snuff. Fingers crossed, but I haven't read anything bad about the new S-Class yet as far as quality/reliability so I think they're getting the reliability demon under control. The design, safety, performance and everything else never left.

M
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    I'd have to agree on the quality front,too, judging from my experience with my R-Class. Knock wood, it's been perfect so far.
    Nearly everyone here has said the same thing about their R-Class, but the R was the problem child in the lastest survey at JD Power. Go figure.

What I'm waiting to see is what Consumer Reports says about the new S-Class. I haven't read more than one or two complaints about the car on 3 diffferent mesg boards about the car. It at least appears to be the most trouble-free launch of a new Benz in many years.

M
    Sales were up 14 percent vs June 2005.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/03/013542.html

The E,S,SLK,SL and GL all did their part. The R-Class continues to be the laggard of the bunch.

M

A continuing tradition: the new model variant SLR "722 Edition" is a homage by Mercedes-Benz to the unforgettable victory won by the British racing legend Stirling Moss and his co-driver Denis Jenkinson in a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR with the starting number 722 (indicating a start time of 7.22 a.m.) at the Mille Miglia in 1955. With an output of 478 kW/650 hp and a corresponding performance, the new super sports car, which goes on sale on July 11, will not only make the hearts of car enthusiasts beat faster.

Article

M
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    Checking for updates on the arrival of the R320. Also, does anyone have any news on the price of same, and the gas mileage expected? I am hoping that MB would like to sell more Rs and that they won't jack up the price of the diesel so high that it negates the better gas mileage.
    I'd say around Oct. or so because of the fuel requirements the new V6 engine has, and the new low sulfur diesel has just started being used in some areas.

M
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    Thanks. You always seem to have your finger on the pulse of things. My dealer is very small and always slow to get vehicles, and not much faster on info! I do love the new GL, but don't want to spend that much money. I may have to "settle" for the R to get size/space and diesel. I continue to read good things about the R, but surely JD Powers used it to send MB ratings plummeting. I sit and wait!
    It appears the first pics of the CL63 have been put up on one of MB's websites:

It appears that the CL63 will have a 525hp version of the new 6.2L V8, naturally aspirated.

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    Thanks for the pictures: sales are going great. We should see a solid double digit increase this year.

Have a look at today's Autoextremist - is this true? If so, who came up with the idea?

Homogenization and decline of Mercedes image: upcoming DCX "Phoenix" V-6 corporate engine program will see identical engines in Chrysler and Mercedes...

The once-hallowed Mercedes-Benz brand "blended" into the vast vagueness that defines Chrysler

An E class, an SLK, a Sebring and a Dodge pickup all using the same drivetrain?!

Details at http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml
    Well the autoextremist often talks out of places where people shouldn't.

There is no way a Chrysler and a Benz are going to have "identical" engines.

They may start out with the same block or design at some point down the road, but you can bet the MB version will be high-end throughly different from the Chrysler version.

M
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    I wouldn't be so definite.

They are using the same trannies in some instances, right?

And just look at Nissan's use of the 3.5 across the board. It doesn't seem to bother them.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Well anything can happen, but I can't ever see that because they aren't going to produce such a V6 to be used in the same trim/tune across the board, it would be too costly for Chrysler if they had an engine up to MB specs.

Yes certain Chrysler use a version of MB's older 5-speed automatic, but most MB's have the new 7-Speed trans now.

Nissan and Infiniti is a whole different ball game from Chrysler and Mercees-Benz.

M
    My reason for concern is that MB management in Europe don't seem to understand MB's position in the USA.

In Euro markets the A class, taxi-spec C and very basic E class cars co-exist happily with the S, SL, CE and other premium models.

They may not perceive the image dilution that component sharing with Dodge/Chrysler would bring here in the USA.
    Thanks for the pictures - but you make me feel old!

I remember picture #2 coupes on the road and picture #3 coupes in the showroom.
    My reason for concern is that MB management in Europe don't seem to understand MB's position in the USA.

I wouldn't say that, because we only get the high-end models here and in the best trim. I just hope someone understands that a MB and a Chrysler can't ever be interchangable!

M
    This thing is really hot:

First Opinion:

"The SLK 55 Black Edition proves that track-focused specials don’t need to compromise on style to really impress. Generous equipment confirms that the maker has thought hard about the demands of potential customers. But it’s the AMG’s performance that remains the biggest surprise. It’s certainly the best driver’s car Mercedes has built in this class, and one of the most thrilling, too."

Article

M
    Well I only go back to the 80's W126 "SEC" coupes myself...lol!

M
This discussion has been closed.