Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well you know I didn't want it to come here anyway so....

M
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Yeah, I know.

Ya big snob. [-P

:)
    Hey I'm in counseling for my problem....lol!

M
  • It's already out in Europe. I've returned from Moscow last week, and saw the CLS at a dealership there. Looks like a trimmed S-class.
    Its out here too, they sold over 700 of them last month in the U.S.

M
    I'm reading where the E55 AMG is available as a wagon starting in March. The 604hp S65 AMG goes on sale in March also. Good Lord. Somewhat closer to reality the E350 sedan and wagon go on sale at the end of this month.

M
    Kriste can we change to title of this thread to Mercedes Future Models and get rid of the why part, since there are other topics for other brands about new models? Though this started out as a bashing topic, can we just use it for talk about new models?

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Why not, indeed. It's done!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Question: Does anyone know anything about the 2006 CLS500? I can't decide if which car to get; the CLS or the BMW 6 Series. The merc has beautiful lines, but not sure if the kinks have been worked out yet. The BMW had problems with the new car last year, but supposedly has it's kinks repaired. It is a great looking car also. Let me know. Thanks!
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050223.006

New models:

C240 becomes the C280 (227hp)

SLK280 (227hp)

CLK320 becomes the CLK350 (268hp)

CLK lineup gets a facelift and new diesel Cabriolet model for Europe only.

The E240 becomes the E280, but is a Euro only model.

Ditto for the new CLK280 model.

C230 stays a "C230" but now has a 2.5L V6 with 200hp instead of the previous 1.8L supercharged 4-cylinder.

M
    Just noticed your question. It really depends on what you want. A true, sportier coupe or a sedan that thinks its a coupe. The CLS to my eye is somewhat better looking than the 6-Series. Its the rear of the 645Ci that "messes" it up for me, but the front is pure, mean BMW.

I say drive both and go from there. Neither car is going to set the reliability charts on fire. BMW usually ranks higher in reliability, but that is for their other models, I haven't seen anything on the new 6, and of course the CLS is a new model, but it does use mostly existing E-Class hardware, which has been greatly improved from the E's 2003 intro.

M

(kidding)

M
  • Thanks, I did drive both. The mercedes has a smoother drive and the rear window view is better, and it really looks great. Thank you for your advise.
    Well let us know what you decided to get. I'm sure you'll be pleased with either, but my vote is for the CLS, of course.

M
    Mercedes for 2005 and 2006, new models:

2006 E350 (on sale now, 268hp V6)
    2006 E55 Wagon (not confirmed yet)

2006 S65 AMG (On sale next month)

2006 CLS500 and CLS55 AMG (on sale now!)

2006 C350 (268hp V6)
    2006 C280 (227hp V6)
    2006 C230 (200hp V6)
    All 3 on sale early summer/late spring 2005

SLK280 (227hp V6) On sale this fall.

ML350 (268hp V6)
    ML500 (302hp V8)
    Both on sale last week of April 2005

CLK - facelifted model range, including new CLK350. On sale this fall.

R-Class - debuts at New York Autoshow and goes on sale late fall/early winter 2005.

S-Class - debuts at the IAA (Frankfurt Auto Show) in Sept 2005, debuts here at Detroit 2006, goes on sale first quarter of 2006.

M
    From a MB board, the supposedly S-Class engine lineup:

A S600CDI V12 diesel? Gee whiz.
    At Geneva there are also SLK and SL diesels:

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/mercedes_slk320_cdi.html

"A new V8 engine generates 231 kW/315 hp in the Vision SL 400 CDI and provides the eight-cylinder’s crankshaft with an outstanding torque of 730 Nm. The SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo, meanwhile, can generate an impressive 210 kW/286 hp and 630 Nm of torque from three litres of displacement (70.3 kW and 211 Nm per litre of displacement)."

M
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    Clearly there are many points of view on where the diamler boys are steering their ship these days, both from cultural, and a business perspective. What mercedes is facing, as time goes on, is the same problem many manufacturers are. How can they put the younger generations behind the wheel of their product at a young enough age to make them lifelong drivers. That's the way they're looking at it, anyway. One could see it from the other angle: why not stay hyper- exclusive, and remain the prize to one day strive for. The suits over in the motherland have their reasons, I guess. Toyota has really turned them on their ear, though. Some of us are really fussing about the more recent MB designs, but they were forced to take their style in a new direction to distinguish themselves again. From a distance, it's hard to say if it's an LS, a legend/RL, or an S or E class. Other than a rear view camera, toyota hasn't produced an original idea that I can think of, they're just grifters with bargain basement prices. Engineering isn't enough, now it's a tech war, and because MB is at the front of it, they pay the price when their stuff breaks.
    I'm very disappointed in you...lol! You didn't tell me that Mercedes was going to re-launch the S350 in the U.S.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=S350V

Have you recieved one of these yet?

M
    Indeed! How could I have forgotten?! That's a special car to some, myself included. My first one is in production as we correspond. It will be a short run, maybe a few thousand cars. Short wheelbase only, and will probably price around the mid 60's. That will make a really cool car for someone who otherwise would have settled for the E500. Sorry for the oversight! LOL!
    You are forgiven.

Any word on when the new C350, C280 and V6 C230 will arrive? I'm so glad to see that I4 "Kompressor" engine leave the U.S. market.

M
    My database allows me to configure 2006 280's and 350's. That doesn't mean much until I actually get allocations and brochures, but it is likely that by this time next year those engines will all be here. SLK280 also. Things can always change, tho. A month ago I could build an '06 B200, but that stuff all vanished from my system, as you well know. All of these new engines are very exciting.

BTW, I really like the current I-4 Komp in 1.8 liter guise, but in addition to my normal bias, it's also because the prior 2.3 liter motor was so much more rude and crusty.
    Yeah I had read where all the new V6 models would be here by June, but the next generation V8s are the ones they aren't saying anything about. Its a big secret. It is about time for these new 6-cylinder model imo, the current V6s were being overrun.

I suspect if the Euro/dollar situation ever changes we'll get the B-Class I wouldn't be honest in saying I want it here. Wale_bate1 calls me a snob for this but I can't help it..lol.

M
    There are a few naysayers out there with regards to the R-class, but it is a gorgeous vehicle, and will be just what a lot of people need as well as want. I can't wait for it to get here, either. It's too bad that $20k paint job won't be coming along ;(
    The only thing that worries me about the R-Class is the constant rumor about it being priced like an S-Class or in between the E and S-Class. That seems too high to me. It should be priced like a few thousand above the corresponding M-Class imo.

M
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Comments can now continue in the R-Class discussion.

Thanks!
    I saw this on another board:

Through an official confirmation, the 2006 C-Class will be available in June 2005 at your local MB dealers. The new 2006 models are as follows:

C 230
    C 280
    C 280 4MATIC
    C 350
    C 350 4 MATIC

The prices should be within the range of the current 2005 models.

Sound about right?

M
    Yes it does, and the slk will also likely carry that 280 engine, but pricing is still unknown on the roadster. If I had to guess, it will probably price near the old slk320...high 30's plus options.
  • fila54fila54 Posts: 1
    Do you have any accurate data on when the 2006 E500 will be released. I know the E350 is available now. I personally don't think the E500 will get any changes for 2-3 more years. This is to soon historically.
    Thanks
    There SHOULD be an unchanged E500 around the 1st week of september for the '06 model year. However, there are substantial rumors that all of the V-8s will be changing over in the not too distant future, and the 5 liter will grow to 5 1/2 liters, and more output of course. Probably won't see it in '06, but early as an '07 with a new engine, is likely.
This discussion has been closed.