Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    good info, thanks. That's a big improvement versus the '02-'05 Sedona, which is impressive considering the '06 has a much bigger, much more powerful engine. But once again, Kia is 'catching up' to the acceptable range of other minivans, but they are a bit late. 17/25 is just fine, but other vans were doing that 3-5 years ago. I'm sure the other companies' new minivan models will best those numbers. The '05 Ody already does, and I think the current-generation Sienna does too.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    OnStar is a great idea and a nice safety feature. We could have gotten it when we were picking out a Chevy Malibu Maxx last fall, but decided it was not a crucial item. 17 bucks a month for the service is ridiculous, in my opinion.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    $17 a month for peace of mind plus a reduction in your insurance. OnStar has the ability to locate a missing or stolen vehicle. Knowing I will automatically get help in a crash is worth how much?
    17/25 is weak. My 2006 Odyssey is rated 20/28. The engine being used in the new Sedona is once of the largest for a minivan.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Are Ody's actually getting that in the real world, though? Early on I heard they weren't.

Considering the old one was 15/20 IIRC, this is a big improvement. And if it can manage those numbers in the real world, I think it'll do fine.

-juice
    So far for the first 900 miles I am averaging about 21 mpg in mixed driving with my Odyssey.
    AN just released a breaking news story - they say the Hyundai van is back on. That means we might see an Entourage after all.

artgpo: 21mpg aint' bad, but it's not up to EPA estimates. Then again, what car is, right?

-juice
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    not bad, but not great.

Add nav to the Entourage, and the deal could be sealed.

That Sienna XLE Limited sure looks appealing though...

My 2002 Odyssey can sometimes go above EPA estimates, but right now its facing some issues. (see the Odyssey Problems board)
    Especially with AWD, it's my favorite van. But add leather, DVD, Nav, and a few other options and the price gets downright scary. Loaded ones can hit $42k.

If Hyundai can deliver that for an MSRP under $30k, and a real-world price still close to $5 grand lower, I'd be impressed.

$5 grand buys you a lot of gas.

-juice
    the Sienna Limited just feels like a Lexus.

If Hyundai can emulate the Sienna Limited in an Entourage Limited, and price it to move at $30K (or even $33,500) I'll be seriously interested.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    17/25 is a big improvement, but as stated not quite up to Honda and Toyota. I think part of the reason that Honda did so well on the EPA tests is that the tests average 48 mph for the highway portion. This is a speed where the engine is just loafing along.

If you are driving 80 mph on the highway the ECO will definately not be on - just too much wind drag. In fact the non VCM Odyssey would probably get better mpg at real fast highway speeds because it is geared taller.

The Sedona is very interesting, but I could not wait and wound up getting a Sienna (actually it is being built tomorrow). The Honda had some advantages, but for the way I wanted the vehicle configured it was about $3,000 more expensive (had to pile on a bunch of things I did not want to the Honda). The best features of the Honda in my opinion is the 7+1 seating and the extra room in the third row.

I will drive the Sedona when it comes out just to see what it is like - always fun to compare.
    I thought it was interesting that in CR tests the Sienna actually used a tad less gas than the Ody.

-juice
  • Let me ask you a questions where are you going every day that you need to have a navigation system? Isn't there enough to worry about when you drive that you also need to have a navigation system to look at. and also items like that only ad to the price of the vehicle and offer no real value.
  • Here the definition of a minivan according to must dictionaries

A small box-shaped passenger van; usually has removable seats; used as a family car

A small passenger van having a boxlike shape, side and rear windows, and typically removable rear seats for cargo.

Now here is the definition of a minivan according to my personal experience

A box-shaped people hauler with mediocre space and semi-confortable seats usually purchased when a married couple finally realises that the little toyota corolla is not sufficient to carry all the kids and their junk around usually used to take the kids shopping and for supermarket or even that dreaded costco ride or if you can't afford to buy that denali that the neighbor has.
    It is also used as a garbage disposal for the kids oreos cherios mcdonald fries and to hold cups in every cocievable hole that is avilable it is not ment to be fuel efficient and is not meant to replace daddy's vette.

Thank you
    For my family:

A comfortable, reliable road warrior that also handles trees, bagged mulch, furniture, and relatives with ease. It offers value, decent MPG numbers, and a nice foldaway 3rd row.
    Oh my, where do I start? I feel almost the exact opposite, in so many ways...

I'll try, and I'll keep this polite.

Where do people go every day? Well, with Points-of-Interest included, NAV would tell you where the gas stations are, and it can find the 5 closest pizza places if the kids get a craving for pizza. Not to mention directions to unfamiliar places (imagine if you had a sales/delivery job).

More worries? Actually, not at all, you have far less to worry about. You can sit back and relax, knowing the NAV will warn you in advance of the next turn. Never miss a turn again. More importantly, never stress out over possibly missing a turn again. You worry far, far less.

No real value? I'd argue that's not true. I'll give several examples:

1. We were in Ocean City, MD, at Sunfest, and the parking lot was closed for the festival. They told us to drive to the Convention Center (dozens of blocks) and then pay to ride the bus back in. Round trip we would have wasted over an hour, and $8 for bus fair. Instead I used NAV to find alternate parking lots nearby, the NAV even supplied the phone number so I called in advance to make sure it was open and had vacant spots. Parked at a meter for under $2 and saved at least an hour of time. That's only $6, but we had a friend with us, and they saved a similar amount of money.

2. Needed gas in Leesburg, VA, unfamiliar area to me. This was back in September when prices went nuts. I was near empty and saw gas for $3.29, ouch. Used the NAV to find that there were 3 more gas stations within a couple of miles. Found gas for $2.99. Without NAV, I would have paid $.30 cents more per gallon, at 14 gallons that saved me $4.20. More importantly I was never stressed because I knew that gas was readily available, the NAV even gave me directions.

3. Same thing, with gas, going to Williamsburg, VA. Saw that a Wawa was close by, and not only do I love those places, but they also always seem to have cheap gas. Save another few bucks plus found a clean bathroom in the middle of nowhere. Now that was priceless!

4. Kids got a Big Mac attack, I was able to locate the nearest McD's, not only that but I could actually see it on the map and knew that it was not far off the exit. My pet peeve is when those road signs send you 3 miles off the highway for a pit stop that you'd want to do quickly. Saved us time and helped us find McNuggets for our picky eater that would otherwise have gone hungry.

There are more but you get the idea...

When you start using the points of interest, you find things that you use *every day*, not just then you are lost or need directions.

I paid $404, and I'd argue that given the time and aggravation it has saved me (time is money), I've already broken even, and I only got it this summer!

JD Powers said that 47% of shoppers want NAV in their next vehicle. They won't all necessarily spend the extra money, but they want it. Tom Tom and Garmin only now started advertising on TV. NAV is going to really take off.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    I would like to have nav, and would even pay $404 for it, but unfortunately some vehicles package things so that it is a few thousand dollars. That is a little steep.

Might be different if I still lived on the East coast, but now the state I am in has about 1/10th the population as the metro area juice is in. I pretty much know all the roads in the whole state - there are not that many.

BTW cavalieri - nice collection of unsubstantiated generalizations. I could offer a similar rambling towards an SUV, but I won't bore everybody with the obvious.
    I like it too especially since my PDA set up works well and costs little.

It still doesn't have the ease of a factory unit, but its great when a co-pilot is in the car and can type in the addresses or dig up the POIs.

I'll be looking for it in my next van from the factory if possible. Otherwise, I could get an aftermarket dedicated navigation system. I saw those at Sam's for $999 or something.
  • In today's paper Len Hunt, new executive vp of Kia Mtrs Of NA said the lineup will be revamped over the next few months. There's a new Sedona minivan coming in FEBRUARY, a new midsize Optima sedan in April and then face lifts for the compact Spectra sedan, Sorento SUV and midsize Amanti sedan next summer. A new vehicle "that we aren't talking about yet" arrives next fall. Kia is also toying with a product intro for the Chicago Auto Show in February.
    I have not been on this forum for awhile so I don't know if there was still some confusion as to when the Sedona would be out.
    He came from VW, and should do great things at Kia. I look forward to seeing it.

-juice