Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• redptcredptc Posts: 78
    Got the sedona repaired last week. Took about a day and a half to fix.The dealer changed the timing chain tensioners,changed the oil and put in fresh anti-freeze.Sounds good now.Great dealer in central ohio. :) :shades:
  • I have a 2007 Entourage with the same engine, and the same lifter rattle upon start up for about 30 seconds or so. I'd rather live with the noise than have it torn apart. UNless there is some sort of mandatory TSB, but with a 10 year warranty why bother?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Any thoughts on this? We may end up trading in our 2002 EX and buying a new 2006 in the next week or so. I haven't done the research yet on all the differences between the 2006 EX and LX. Dealers seem to have plenty of LX but very few EX. My preference would be EX, but willing to consider LX because of the lower price. Dealer is offering to do aftermarket leather and heated seats on an LX. They have one with the Power Package which would be a must-have for my wife as we are moving up from the manual sliding doors of the 2002 Sedona EX.

I'm sure the dealer would love to unload a 2006 LX and I won't be pulling the trigger unless the price is definitely 'right' which in my mind would be $7000 off MSRP. We haven't gotten into numbers yet.

Dealer let us take home the 2006 for the night, which was a nice touch.

Normally I sell my outgoing vehicle privately, but we may trade in our 2002 EX for simplicity and because I don't know how long it would take to sell it privately. We'll see tomorrow what the dealer's appraisal is.
    The 2006 Sedona EX we are considering purchasing at a local dealer has a build date of Nov. 2005. Is this one of the earlier 2006 units that were built? It seems like it, although I don't know the production date range of the 2006 model year Sedona.

My preference is NOT to buy a vehicle that has been on the lot so long -- in this case, more than a year.

Any thoughts on what problems the early 2006 units exhibited vs. the later 2006 units?

What advice does anyone have with purchasing this vehicle? My initial thoughts, if we decide to buy it, are to have the dealer do the following:
    1. Oil and filter change -- van has only 550 miles but the oil is more than a year old.
    2. Perform all open recalls.
    3. Address any TSBs that I want handled before we take delivery. I'm not sure if dealerships will actually do this sort of warranty work prior to customer delivery.

In particular, I'm concerned about the vibration at highway speeds that so many owners reported on this board. Is there a TSB that explains how the dealer can fix this problem?
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    I'm sure the dealer would love to unload a 2006 LX and I won't be pulling the trigger unless the price is definitely 'right' which in my mind would be $7000 off MSRP.

See messages on "PRICES PAID" forum for more on this. $7000 off MSRP is the starting point low offer from internet people around me. Some have done better ($7500 off, possibly $8000 off).

On your other question about the 11/05 build date, that's what I saw on an EX too. Personally, I'm a little skittish on something that old as new.

Local dealers here have a lot more LXs delivered later, most of them with May 06 build dates. Still not late enough for all of the TSBs, but 6 months better than 11/05.

Your EX vs LX is a tough call. Just depends how much you really want those power sliding door / hatch options (not available on the LX IIRC).

As for me, I can't figure it out. I do think there will be similar deals for 07's at some time (there's already $1k on the 07 SWB).
    Wife decided we won't buy another minivan unless it has power sliding doors, so that crosses the 2006 Sedona LX off our list. Still deciding whether to take the current deal on the table which is $7,265 off MSRP on an '06 EX with Power Package and $5,500 in trade for our '02 EX.
    I bought a 2006 LX in may 06,it was a build date of 11/05.The thing about it was that it had recently been delivered to the dealer,and it still had the white covering on it.It just takes a while to get over here from Korea.The latest build date i seen were May 2006.Good luck on which one to buy. :) :) :)
  • rgochoargochoa Posts: 17
    I purchased an EX with power sliding doors and even better, a power tail gate. Got 12000 and have had it 6 months. Real pleased with it so far. Only complaint I have is that it takes one week to schedule an oil change at my dealership. I guess they sell a lot of vehicles. They are a standalone KIA dealership. Pay attention to wife--get it with power.
    I`am going to our kia dealer tomorrow,thier having a great sounding sale on 06 sedonas. So mabe i can upgrade to a EX model if the price is right.Good luck with your new EX. :shades:
    What type of pricing is your dealer advertising?
    They are advertising $5000.00 off after your best deal is made.We`ll see how much it is this A.M..
    Sounds like they are keeping the rebate(s) separate -- i.e. negotiate your best deal ignoring any rebates, then they will deduct the rebate(s) from that price. Seems sorta strange to me for them to advertise it that way, but whatever sells vehicles, I suppose.

I didn't really get an answer from my local dealer if there truly is a nationwide $1,000 dealer incentive in effect, on top of the published $4,000 customer rebate. Sounds like it probably IS for real, as typer_801 has explained and your post and the price I was offered seem to support that.
    We picked up our new silver 2006 Sedona EX last night. Its only option is the Power Package. Overall, this is a much more substantial minivan than our 2002 EX, which I really enjoyed owning and driving for 5 years.

In the near future, I plan to post here some observations regarding differences between the 2 vans. It is interesting to note that although the 2006 model is better in almost every way, there ARE some aspects of the 2002 interior which are superior. For example, the 'standard' EX sound system is better, the interior lighting is nicer with separate lights over each outboard 2nd/3rd row passenger, the existence of the center-mounted storage bin on the dashboard, the front doors each have 2 storage trays/pockets vs. 1 per door on the 2006, the dash and other materials have a higher-quality feel in the 2002, etc.
  • That would be good to hear.
  • HI Blue, Yes you are right about all the features in the older vans vs the 2006. The one i miss the most that i did have in my 2004ex was the defroster on the front windshield. It was great in icy weather to keep the wipers from gathering ice. I love the bowed inside front doors and my favorite is the stow n go well in the 06. It is so great to put groceries in there and not have them flying around the back of the van! :) BTW...i do not miss the steel frame of the 04 and the wear and tear on the breaks! I like the lighter, more flexible van.
    Bought a 06 sedona EX last monday.It`s a gold EX with power doors & a trailer hitch.It also had some dealer installed items to,bug shield, window visors,&mud flaps.Paid $20,590.00 plus tax,& fees.Traded the old 06 LX. Seems like a good deal i hope. :)
    We had a really good experience with our '02. I had forgotten about the front windshield electric defroster -- will add that one to my list!

The brakes on our '02 did not require ANY work until 65,000 miles -- and all we needed at that point was new front pads. We traded it @ 75k miles and I was sad to see it go.

If our 2006 does as well on brakes, I will be thrilled.
  • brian1brian1 Posts: 25
    So far I like everything about the Sedona EX except the cheap looking plastic fake wood trim on the center console. Does anyone know if this can be switched out for the black one that is in the LX? I looked on an online KIA part catalog search system and could not locate this. My last resort is going to ask the dealer but I know they will charge me a fortune to make this change. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks
    So far I like everything about the Sedona EX except the cheap looking plastic fake wood trim on the center console. Does anyone know if this can be switched out for the black one that is in the LX? I looked on an online KIA part catalog search system and could not locate this.

Someone [DocRXGLS] did this and posted detailed how-to instructions:
    Sedona Dash Trim Change

Before picture:

In between picture:

After picture:

Parts needed:

Left & Right vent trim pieces:
    84780-4D100-OA
    84783-4D100-OA

Bottom console cover:
    84631-4D020
    It is NOT very attractive. The fake woodgrain in our 2002 EX looked richer and more authentic.

This is not a mod I would ever do -- too much trouble for a simply visual benefit.

dbt, thanks for posting that how-to. Very nice information.

Actually, I don't like the black dash in the LX any better. We test-drove one for a good 4 days and I decided the black has a fairly cheap look and feel.
    Actually, I don't like the black dash in the LX any better. We test-drove one for a good 4 days and I decided the black has a fairly cheap look and feel.

One thing I forgot to point out in this mod was that Doc was actually using the grey replacement parts from the Hyundai Entourage. So those part #s are Hyundai numbers, not Kia ones.

I agree that the black is not so good, and like the grey (from the entourage) better. I doubt I'd go through this trouble myself either. But it's nice to know it's possible in case I every got really sick of the fake wood. If only there were a Jaguar part that would fit :)
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize from the pics that it was gray, not the black from the Sedona LX.
    Front windshield deicer on page3-135 of the owners manual of 2006 sedonas.I was told by my salesman that this is suppose to de-ice the wipers.Haven`t used it yet so i don`t know if it works or not. :blush:
    Can anybody answer these questions for me regarding the 2006 Sedona. Ours is an EX but I think the LX model uses the same fob:

* How many key fobs can be programmed to work on a single van?

* How is the key fob programmed? Is this a procedure that requires a dealer, or can this be done at home? I have not looked at my owner's manual yet.

* How much does a replacement fob cost?
    2 key fobs can be programed .You have to go to the dealer to get it done.(about $40.00 if not in warranty)Go on e- bay sometimes you can find one, A lot less then the dealer would charge. :shades:
  • Hey red...completely forgot about that one...since i live in NE and we have barely had any bad weather this winter! Thanks for the reminder on this one! :)
    Yes, but can a 3rd fob be programmed? Or is two the max that the electronics on the 2006 Sedona can support?
    According to KIA only 2 can be programed max.
  • What maintenance is required on a Sedona with Automatic Transmission? Is there a break-in change of the fluid required?
  • My Kia Sedona also threw a check engine light. Any Advice?