Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• I wish they'd had one at Houston Auto Show a few days ago. What I DON'T like about the sketch is that slot in the body for the sliding door (like the Odyssey). Why wouldn't they leave it hidden as a track at the bottom of the window, like on the current Sedona, Sienna and T&C? While overall I like the sketch, I hope this 'slot' is not on the real deal.
  • xvrmxvrm Posts: 10
    The sliding door slot on the '06 is no longer hidden ... it's on the real deal ... and, for me, it's the real deal breaker. Yuk!

Keeping my '04 for a while, I guess.

Robert
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Indeed, that sketch looks very sharp. Keep in mind they're always more aggressive looking than the real thing.

I prefer hidden door tracks, too, but even the new Ody doesn't have that.

-juice
  • Yeah - and it's the only thing I DETEST on the new Ody. Honda has always had the 'take a chainsaw to cut a slot in the body look'.

Toyota finallyn removed this ugly slot, when they redesigned the Sienna in 2003.

Chrysler was the first to get this right on the 1996 minivan redesign.

Ford follow suit back in 1999, getting rid of the body slot on the second generation Windstar.

Kia will be the first auto manufacturer to UNHIDE the door track after having it right the first time. For the life of me, I don't understand why they messed this up....

Looks like I may wait until 2007 to replace my wife's '97 Dodge GC. Thought the new Sedona would be a contender...now might wait to see the upcoming Mazda MPV and redesigned Chrysler minivans.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree except for one minor point - Toyota actually did it first, with the Previa. That had a black stripe around the entire back but it did hide the track right below the window.

Chyrsler only perfected it.

-juice
  • I forgot about the Previa. So like, Kia, Toyota 'unhid' the sliding door track, before reversing course with the newest gen Sienna.

I will be interested in seeing the real photos from the Chicago Autoshow in a couple of days.
  • slovanslovan Posts: 10
    go to link and read all news and see pics!

http://www.newswire1.net/NW2005/C_KIA_CA/KIA3001253_021005/index.- html

(www.chicagoautoshow.com)
  • xvrmxvrm Posts: 10
    Chicago Auto Show photos and text available now at www.autoweek.com. Bigger engine, fold down 3rd row seats, roll down windows on sliding doors (available with power; also powered lift gate.) If they hold prices, they're gonna eat SOMEBODY's lunch.

Robt.

'04 Sedona LX
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Honda and Toyota owners will still Kia Bash even with a van just as good or maybe better.

The question for me now is will I trade my '04 on the '06??

Wonder how my dealer will treat me.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Just reading that newswir1e.net link, and there's a lot to like about the 2006 Sedona.

It sounds like Kia has pretty much caught up completely with the competition in terms of features, as of the 2006 model year. Roll-down 2nd row windows, available power liftgate, available power sliding doors, power adjustable pedals, DVD entertainment system available heated front seats, MP3 compatibility on Sedona EX, Homelink on EX, available backup warning system, etc.

The interior pic shows that things are even more upscale than the 2002-05 Sedona, which is saying something.

Tons of safety equipment, all of these standard: 4-channel ABS with EBD, front seat front and side airbags with head curtain airbag for all 3 rows, front seat occupant sensors for airbag deployment, active front head restraints, tire pressure monitoring system. ESP and traction control are optional. That's a pretty impressive safety feature lineup.

The engine - 3.8L DOHC 24V V6 - will be the largest high-tech minivan engine out there. 240+ HP and 250 ft-lb will be very competitive with the class leaders.

4 wheel disc brakes and 16" or 17" wheels instead of the current disc/drum and 15" wheel setup are nice, and needed, improvements.

Bottom line: the list of reasons why people don't choose Sedona as their minivan has shrunk considerably.
    that newswire1 link mentions kiamedia.com. To log in there, you are supposed to be a 'journalist.' Turns out the ID is kiamedia and password is optima.

There are some preliminary specifications - fairly detailed ones - there if you poke around.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    WOW...Just like the high-tech 3.5L in the current KIA Sedona that has 195 HP @ 5500 RPM and 218 lb-ft @ 3500 while the same size Odyssey engine has 255 HP @ 5750 RPM and 250 lb-ft @ 5000 RPM?

The higher powered Odyssey also has MUCH better gas mileage than the Sedona.
    Han,

I'm not sure of your point. Your comparing your Oddly to the '02-'05 Sedona. This thread is about the redesigned '06. It appears the Sedona is going to take alot of sales away from Honda and Toyota.

BTW, from what I've read on the Minivan gas mileage thread, doesnt seem like the Oddlies get much better real world gas mileage than the Sedona.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
    KIA high-tech engines are NOT fuel efficient as indicated by the comparison of the KIA 3.5L V6 to the Honda 3.5L V6 (which, by the way, has more HP than the new 2006 KIA 3.8L V6).

BTW, the 1999 Odyssey EX delivered the BEST average MPG of the long term minivans tested by Edmunds.

Hopefully, KIA will have improved the performance and fuel economy of the engines for 2006. If KIA does, they will become a more competitive product.
  • Ha! I'm a CS major with an interest in computer security, so I'm always amused when someone protects a "secure" site with a bad password. Did you guess that, or did someone tell you?

Anyway, the new Sedona looks pretty impressive. In my opinion, the exterior styling is as good as or better than the similar Sienna and Odyssey. The features list looks impressive, too. I noticed the press release says that the weight will be "less" than the current model, but it doesn't say how much less. I hope it's hundreds of pounds and not, like, three. The current one is really a van'o'steel, which is kind of cool really, but the fuel economy is abysmal.

-Andrew L
    Andy,

I typically get 18 city and as high as 23 in all highway driving(with no A/C). Compared to most other minivans its fairly typical. Most Sienna and Oddly owners report similar number.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • Bottom line: the list of reasons why people don't choose Sedona as their minivan has shrunk considerably. <<

I does look impressive. However I think they are making a mistake in a brand new model w/ no available navigation (Unless I am missing something on their press release). Especially when it seems like they have added just about everything else. It seems like NAV is becoming more and more popular with Minivan buyers, many of whom are doing road trips frequently. Hyundai (sister company) is offering it in the new Sonata, so they can do it. It's still a big leap over the current offering, and will sell a lot more, but no NAV will be one reason for some to cross it off the shopping list
    hansienna, what a silly comment.

Sure, the current 3.5L Sedona engine makes less HP - by quite a bit - and less torque - by not a whole lot - than the competition's 3.5L motors. Still, this motor clearly has the high-tech pieces, save VVT-- 24 valves, DOHC, etc.

And we aren't talking about the '02-05 Sedona engine, anyway.

Are you forgetting that the '99 Odyssey did not have anywhere near 255 HP when it debuted? I believe the number was 205 or 210.

And Sedona is already competitive enough to be doing quite well in the U.S. minivan market. Not sure if you have noticed that. The '06 Sedona appears to have Kia poised to gain even more minivan market share, and compete with the big boys even more on product and less on value than in the past.
    hansienna, you seem to be ignoring most of the real-world fuel economy findings from Sedona owners. The numbers are typically better, oftentimes MUCH better, than the EPA ratings. I think this is one reason why the EPA ratings were bumped upward slightly - in '03 or '04, I can't remember exactly when.
    Would be nice if Edmunds purchased a Sedona for a long term test so we could read an accurate test result for the Sedona.