Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Easy Driver, Great Teacher - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Mazda
imageEasy Driver, Great Teacher - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is the easiest manual transmission car to operate, which makes it not only fun to drive, but the best car for learning how to drive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    " I'd argue it's also the easiest manual transmission car to drive, which makes it the best car to learn in."

I'd also argue it ruins every other manual-equipped driving experience for the rest of her life.

i learned in a mazda b2000 truck, then drove a manual mazda protege, and it's been downhill ever since except for the rare honda manual driving experience over the years. our z3 isn't terrible. my mustang is ok, but i have to concentrate for a smooth start and that is annoying.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    What's bad is when you go from driving a manual transmission truck to someone's manual transmission economy car. You get so used to a heavy clutch, that a light clutch makes it sound like you're trying to blow the engine.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Great story, Jonathan! Thanks for sharing!
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Great story, Jonathan. It reminds me of my first time learning a manual transmission-- which was also in a Mazda with my girlfriend (now wife), except she was teaching me!
  • jelfalanjelfalan Member Posts: 14
    s197gt said:

" I'd argue it's also the easiest manual transmission car to drive, which makes it the best car to learn in."

I'd also argue it ruins every other manual-equipped driving experience for the rest of her life.

i learned in a mazda b2000 truck, then drove a manual mazda protege, and it's been downhill ever since except for the rare honda manual driving experience over the years. our z3 isn't terrible. my mustang is ok, but i have to concentrate for a smooth start and that is annoying.

I don't disagree with this. I have a Z3 M coupe that I love dearly, but after stirring our ND's gearbox for a few days, it's a hard transition back to the BMW.

I do stand by the approach of learning the ropes in the easiest setting, just as grasping the concepts of skiing on a bunny slope will be easier than on a black diamond.