Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• chad_c_uchad_c_u Posts: 8
    Again, I am not sure why everyone thinks incentives will be needed to sell this car. Every near luxury segment car is currently attacking the BMW 3 series. Lincoln is focusing on the buyers who are attracted to the new Fusion, but would like a smooth ride and interior refinement. The investment for Lincoln is reduced! If Lincoln holds a slightly positive profit and the Milan/Fusion are huge successes, Americans may realize that domestics are attractive cars. If Ford pulls off a recall free launch, Americans may decide that the big three have competitive products. The alternative is watching American white collar workers being sent home, so we can support the Japanese economy! While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie.
    The second generation THX certified system in the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr offers the following:

14 speakers

600 watts of amplification

12 channels of digital signal processing power providing:

Individual speaker EQ

Three optimized seating position modes (Driver, Front Seat, All Seats)

THX patented configurable speaker array processing

Surround processing of stereo CDs

Updated Press Kit Info

THX II-Certified® audiophile six-disc CD/MP3 player with ten speakers

ANT, please tell me the system did not get changed! The info was taken from the Jan 6, press release between THX/Lincoln...The second was on the updated Press Kit Info. If Ford made this change, I will be extremely upset!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    A) Ford sometimes counts 2-way speakers as 2 speakers instead of 1. So it's possible that they just changed the terminology and not the physical layout.

B) If they did take out 4 speakers from the original plan, it's because they weren't needed. 10 speakers is MORE than enough.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm sure it will sound GREAT!
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The quality of the speakers and the reproduction of sound, is the highest of it's type in the factory automotive stereo industry.

This is the 2nd generation of THX that will be introduced on the Zephyr, I believe it's like 10.1 or something for it. I read an interesting report on it, but I misplaced it, now I can't find it around me.

But you could probably contact THX.com and ask them specifically what the changes entail. Supposedly the speaker count goes down to 10, but because the quality of the speakers and reproduction of sound is much more precise that 14 wasn't needed, last I heard.

You can email Nick Twork ntwork1@ford.com and maybe he can give you specific details.
    Thanks for the information I sent the email this afternoon. Do you have any comments on the wood changes from the auto show model or colors of the current gauges? Also, do you know when dealers will receive promotional booklets for the Zephyr?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Oops, my bad, John. Apologies. Glad to hear the 500 is holding up well.
    "Mind you, I dont think the Taurus is a bad car, and it might be the best value ever as a Certified Used (seeing as how its so long in the tooth, what problems could there really be!!), its just very dated. And for 06, the Duratec goes away and the Vulcan is the sole power."

Keep in mind, that Taurus is currently relegated to Fleet sales primarily. Retail sales of this car are incidental at this point. But you're right - I bought an 05 with 15K miles on it 2 months ago for $10,500 - virtually half price, current year, barely used. They are a terrific certified or used buy right now. Frankly, although I didn't buy it for my daily driver, I really enjoy the little car and take it whenever it's available. Saves gas, saves miles on my Navigator, and is kinda fun, and there are no defects in the car whatever, everything works great, and the A/C is kick butt. It has the Vulcan, and it's no race horse though, especially in second gear. If you put your foot in it, it'll go pretty well, but otherwise, it's set for economy mode.

Finally, regarding the mighty have fallen? You are so right. I keenly remember the introduction of the 86 Taurus, which made instant old news of the Chevy Celebrity - you couldn't give a Celebrity away to someone. As soon as I sat in a Taurus, I had to have one, and ended up buying a fleet of them for my company, and a Sable for me. The Taurus of today doesn't even drive like that one did. Let alone the ergonomics, seat quality, etc., have all gone to the wayside. It's a cheap little car now, a good value, but nothing special.
    "While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie."

Amen to that!!!
  • "While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie."

Remember when the "US" car companies used to blame their poor products on the shoddy workmanship of American workers? And they could never compete on price because American workers were overpaid?

I guess as the Italian saying goes: the fish rots from the head.
    I'll try and find that out, currently I'm still not in my house yet ...I keep hearing the "two more weeks"... senario.

Once I settle down, I can give you more accurate answers since I'll have more items at my disposal.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    Ford Motor Co. moves from pre-production to officially begin building the 2006 Ford Fusion, Lincoln Zephyr and Mercury Milan today, Aug. 1, at its plant in Hermosillo, Mexico. The plant had been down for six weeks during the changeover.
    This should answer all your questions including how many/what type of speakers.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/features/805thx/
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    I've been reading posts, as well as some articles in different magazines about the Zephyr. I see that it'll have a 210 HP 3.0, or something close to that. A while back I think I asked you about the 3.5 being ready for the Zephyr, or whichever car will get it first. Will we have to wait until the spring, or later, for the new engine?? I'm almost positive you gave me a ballpark as far as the date, but I'm old, and I forgot. Any new info will be appreciated..........thanks, John
    Ant may have better data but the reports have been that the Zephyr will get it first for the 2007 models and it's still up in the air whether the standard Fusion/Milano will get it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    When is Ford going to move toward the new calculations for HP and TQ? I dont believe any of the current figures are SAE certified, and it seems only GM, Toyota, and Honda are moving toward the new standard....although the engines havent changed at all, most have lost a few hp here and there, and I'd love to see what the Duratec 3.0L REAL figures are.

~alpha
  • When you only have 200hp in a 4000 lb car, you can't spare even one pony.
    FDcapt,

As Akirby said, Zephyr gets it first (by a few months) then the Milan/Fusion receive it. Although, that can always change depending on various other factors.

Alpha,

All depends upon the application for the 3.0L Duractec, there's various versions as you know. The Mustang V8 for example, has consistantly measured higher HP/TQ than what advertised (315-320HP). There are some vehicles already following SAE. Although I personally dislike this, 221, 193, 201, 157, 292 that some vehicles are sporting...I prefer more rounded 225, 200, 205, 160, 300 numbers....
    With gas prices heading up - Ford may want to see how much grunt their 4-banger can put out in this car..... ;)
  • haironghairong Posts: 153
    You got your anwser today.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm

"But Twork said Ford does not expect significant drop-offs in horsepower as the new test is phased in. When Ford unveiled its midsize Fusion sedan in January, it projected 210 horsepower. When it was tested under SAE's official protocol, the engine received a 221 horsepower rating, Twork said."

As it turns out, it was toyota and honda playing the "HP" game. Ford has been conservative and understating ever since the Cobra rating gaffe.
    Yes, it's going to be interesting to hear comments on how even the larger Toyota 3.3L V6 really makes 210HP, while that "crude and unrefined" smaller Duratec 3.0L does 221HP...
  • theman123theman123 Posts: 170
    Lincoln has finally made a link featuring the 2006 Zephyr on there website.

Click the Link go under vehicles on the upper right side of the screen, you'll see the 2006 Zephyr. It allows you to play with the colors and tells you a bunch of stuff about the car.

Lincoln site
  • "it's going to be interesting to hear comments on how even the larger Toyota 3.3L V6 really makes 210HP, while that "crude and unrefined" smaller Duratec 3.0L does 221HP... "

The answer will be the conspiracy: Detroit bribed government to come up with new HP protocol. And there still is mighty Hyundai Sonata...
    So Detroit bribed the government? ... then suddenly the protocol was changed from one year to another to make the foreign brands look bad, when realistically the SAE has been the standards by which many others measures their figures ? Is that what your stating?...

Not to mention that some of these offending manufacturer's have other vehicles in their brands which they have tested and reported correct using SAE method numbers as well ...
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I believe you missed the sarcasm? :)
    Sorry, I've been painting the past 2 days...the fumes will do that to me :) but sometimes, ya never know...

Actually for anyone doing the research on it, it's SAE standard J1349 which describes testing procedures and what's allowed, and not allowed, etc.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    I've been checking many articles, as well as posts here concerning the supposed HP for the Zephyr. Even on a few of Ford's articles there is a difference in HP. I read something the other night in a Lincoln article that conflicted itself as far as the proper numbers. On one page it says 201 HP, a few pages ahead, it says 221 HP. It's not only confusing, it's aggravating trying to get the right answers. Ant, can you give us a heads up on what the real deal will be? The car, along with the Milan and Fusion, looks to be a nice trio, and I hope they live up to all the hype. Most of us remember last year's "Year of the Car", and the problems that 201 HP caused in the 500/Montego. I'll wait for some flaming from certain members here, but I like the attention.......... :P
    I too have seen various reports that the F/M/Z's were supposed to get 200HP. This was an assumption by various publications believing that because it traditionally has made 200HP since it's debut in '96, that it would carry over into these vehicles. When the vehicles were officially released at the autoshows, Ford made mention that it would have around 210HP, and they carried that (safe number) for awhile. They didn't wish to over-promise on the numbers. This pertains mainly to the Mustang Cobra of a few years back. Set numbers were expected, but last minute retrofitting of exhaust components yielding lower HP results without realizing it, placed into production without retesting again... and we all know what became of that.

In the case of the F/M/Z, everything went according to plan and before production, 221HP was realized instead.

Now that the story broke that some foreign automakers have been overstating their horsepower (something I have hinted about in the past in other forums and no one believe me... :P ), the 221HP is REAL according to SAE standards, while others were using a method that would overstate their numbers. Notice how the Mazda6 dropped this year to 210HP.
    The 201 was obviously a typo. It's 221 as ANT stated.
  • What were they thinking with the name?;

"Hey Bill, how about a name that most people can't pronounce, that reminds people of that miserable Mercury version of the Fairmont"

"Well, If we call it the Zephyr, the Mark LT will no longer have the worst name in the industry"

"Let's see, the name looks odd, has a negative connotation and is unpronouncable--Let's do it!"