Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• cowbellcowbell Member Posts: 125
    To any other MKZ owners out there; when you hit the trunk release, how high up does your trunk lid go?
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    You're correct. My mistake. I only listed the new colors for 2008. The Vivid Red, Silver Birch, Dune Pearl, Light Sage and Black colors are also available. :)
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Just barely open. It's hard to tell that it is open.
    That's what mine does too. I wonder if there's anything that can be adjusted to get it open enough to put some groceries in there with out having to manually lift it.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    With the old hinges you could actually adjust the spring tension but I don't think you can do that with just the struts.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    My trunk also barely opens. This is ok with me however if it had an adjustable option that would be nice.
    Hi, I have experience a drop in mileage down to around 14 mph. I cannot say that it seems like the vehicle is sucking down gas. Any ideal what is going on?
  • ilrndudeilrndude Member Posts: 14
    gregg,

I did not realize the MKZ did not have stability control. (I had assumed it must be an option. And had not researched this car prior to test drive. It was one of those spur of the moment things.)

Lack of stability control ended up being what caused us to decide against the MKZ.
  • And others as well. Lack of stability control on a 2008 luxury car is a design error, especially when it comes standard on a run-of-the-mill car like the 4 cylinder Hyundai Sonata.
    This was the result of not using a 4 channel ABS system which is required to have individual control of all 4 brakes. Instead they chose a 3 channel ABS system. It was either a supplier problem or a cost cutting measure but even if the Fusion and Milan didn't have it the MKZ should have. From what we hear it will be fixed next year with the 09 refresh.
    Well, it's a shame Ford blew this, whether supplier problem, design error, or cost cutting measure. It implies lack of attention to an important detail. (Makes me wonder what else got missed?) I won't be waiting for an 09 refresh. We ordered an Audi A4 earlier today.
    It's more a case of having to pick and choose where the limited money went. Ford chose to spend the money on AWD and a hybrid powertrain (coming next year). Some people would prefer AWD over stability control.

Now if they don't have it for 09 then that would be a complete disaster. For now it's just a mild disappointment.
  • A mild disappointment that is causing some people to buy a competing model right now. Ford could have had AWD and stability control, like the other companies that offer AWD cars. My 2001 Audi had both, so it should not have been a revelation in 2005 that perhaps the marketplace wouldn't see one as a sub for the other. Thank goodness they will fix this for 09.
    I'd like to eat steak and lobster every night, too, but that doesn't mean I could afford to do so.

Don't forget that in 2004 Ford was developing 3 new platforms and 9 vehicles (Mustang, CD3 - Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/Edge/MKX, D3 - 500, Montego, Freestyle) plus a mild refresh on the Focus, Explorers and Expedition/Navigator. All this after the Firestone debacle.

I agree that they should not have been in the position where they were forced to cut costs and choose between features but that was the reality back then. With the car platform solidly established again (except for the B car) and with the cost reductions and changes that Fields has instituted I don't think you'll see those things happening with the 09 models.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    I saw in another forum that the EPA fuel economy estimates for the 2008 MKZ are better than for the 2007. I looked it up myself and these are the numbers on the EPA site.
    AWD-
    2007:16/24
    2008:17/24

FWD-
    2007:17/25
    2008:18/28

All of these numbers are using the new EPA methods that are in effect starting for 2008 model year cars.

As far as I can tell the 2008 has the same engine and transmission as the 2007. Did they get this increase by re-tuning the car? Can these changes be made to a 2007 car?

Anyone hear anything?
    I think the 2007 numbers are just mathematical estimates so there is some room for error there. But I do think they've improved the FE of the engine with revised software. The 3.5L was really rushed out the door last year so I'm sure there was room for improvement. We saw the same thing with the new Taurus vs. the old 3.0L Five Hundred.

It's also possible (but not confirmed) that they switched from the Aisin tranny to the new 6F Ford/GM tranny that is in the Taurus and Edge which is supposed to be more fuel efficient.
  • makigrlmakigrl Member Posts: 19
    I enjoyed your comment but why compare a Saturn aura, Honda Accord, or Chevy Malibu to a Linclon MKZ? Isn't a Lincoln MKZ meant to be a near luxury or upscale car? Not in the same category as family sedans out there like the Camry or Accord?
    I can understand a comparison between the MKZ and a Camry or Accord. Mainly because the price ranges overlap.

A 2008 MKZ FWD ranges from 30,175 to 35,850. A V6 Camry ranges from 23,640 to 33,884. A V6 Accord ranges in price from 25,960 to 34,592. You get the Accord even more expensive if you added things like a spoiler or other unusual accesories.
  • Isn't a Lincoln MKZ meant to be a near luxury or upscale car? One would think so. That's why it's a bit disappointing that the plebeian rides offer standard features that you can't even get optionally on the MKZ. Excuse me, I'm busy beating a dead horse.
    A car is car. If the MKZ was completely the same as it was now, but badged as a Ford and called a Super Fusion, would that make you happier? I think if you take out the names and look at what you get for what you're paying, the MKZ is a good car.

By any chance, is that dead horse named stability control? And yes, the MKZ should have stability control, but that seems like such a real obscure horse to be beating. Of course to each their own. Some people would never consider getting a car without stability control and some would never considering getting a car without AWD.
    My MKZ has stability control. My arms on the wheel and my feet on the brakes!
  • Yes, the dead horse is stability control. Stability control and AWD do different things. I would like BOTH on my car, but if I had to choose, I'd go with stability and traction control over AWD. So do apparently a lot of folks who buy cars. Stability control is practically standard on all AWD CUVs and SUVs for the reason that it can help you out if the confidence of AWD actually gets you into trouble. But enough of that (beat, beat)...it is personal preference. (Of course it is proven technology that will soon be mandated on all vehicles, period.)

The MKZ is a good car. Where it falls down is on the little things...the feel of controls and switches, the cheapness of some interior trim, the lack of a headrest for every position, the darn hood prop rod. Those who don't care so much about such details can have a very rewarding ride nonetheless.
    We've ordered an Audi A4. It has both AWD and stability control. In addition to lack of stability control the MKZ cut too many corners compared to the Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, and, heck, even the Cadillac.
    The A4 is nice but it's also significantly more expensive than a MKZ.

We'll see what next year's refresh brings. I think and hope it gets the MKS interior and features.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The 2009 will have stability control, but probably no significant improvement or modernization of the interior. You can probably expect slight color changes to the interior trim.
    Do you have inside info or is this just a guess?
    Ford already said they would add stability control on 2009s.
    Even the Ford Fusion should have it as an option for 2009.
    They also do not have a history of major interior changes in only 3 years and there is no reason to expect differently this time.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    akirby what do you by "refresh"? Is it facelift similar to changes from Taurus '99 to Taurus '00 or just slight change in accents like from Taurus '03 to '04?
    They also do not have a history of major interior changes in only 3 years and there is no reason to expect differently this time.

Correction - they USED to not have a history of major changes period in 3 years.

The 09 Fusion gets a revised front and rear plus a revised interior for 09. The Fusion debuted in 06, got AWD in 07, Sync for 08 and now a significant update for 09. 09 also adds a hybrid, new 2.5L I4 and 3.5L V6 engines. I'd say that's pretty significant and unheard of for Ford. The new Taurus also got interior upgrades although not as big. Ford has vowed not to let the Fusion rot on the vine and they're proving it.

Based on that and the MKS interior (which is different from the current Lincoln interiors) I think it's at least 50/50 that we'll see a revised interior, hopefully like the MKS which debuts first. I also expect the MKZ to get a MKS/MKR like split front grille.
    See previous post. I expect significant changes inside and out plus the 3.7L V6.
    Depends on what you consider "major." FordSync is not a major interior change. It is just a new electronic handsfree phone and music gadget option that is tacked on to the car.
    Totally new interior styling with a new look to the entire dashboard, seats and door panels would be a major interior change.
    Don't expect that.
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    I write to join the brotherhood of people who like much about the new Lincoln MKZ who also own one (now). Just picked up my light sage fully loaded MKZ yesterday and just love the way it feels driving it. I mention, also, that I have converted from Lexus, having driven an ES 300 for 12 years. I still like my ES, but I just find the MKZ more elegant and attractive and, frankly, a much better buy. Hearing about the auto insurance and government investigations into Lexus acceleration issues and air bag issues while hearing very positive reviews about initial ownership of the MKZ, I just feel that the MKZ is a much smarter buy for me. I'm hoping Lincoln will continue to offer discriminating buyers a real--and real good--alternative in the near luxury and luxury market.
    Hey Dennis - don't you mean "we" purchased a new MKZ?

;):blush:
    It's true, akirby, just like the Beatles said: "I get 'buy' with a little help from my friends!"

:D:D
  • tiger16tiger16 Member Posts: 54
    Don't know if the Ford decision makers look at sites like this but, it might not be a bad idea for us Zephyr/MKZ owners to come up with a list of "tweaks" for the next revision (hopefully in 09). Here are my most desired:
    Bigger fuel tank - when your work commute per week is several hundred miles, a 17.5 gal. tank just doesn't cut it. I'd like 20.
    Better gas mileage - the preliminary EPA for 08 indicates an improvement. We shall see.
    Smaller turning circle - I find the extremely wide turn a bit of a nuisance.
    Revised interior/exterior - "love it OR hate it" styling doesn't translate into good sales numbers. One reason why Lexus always succeeds is that their styling never goes below "love it or it's OK."
    Better interior materials - they currently just do not match the competition. The new CTS blows away the MKZ.
    Ride - sorry but, I love the "freeway cruiser" ride. Nice and comfortable. I've driven the MKZ and I like my Zephyr's ride better. The MKZ is a little on the stiff side for me. Maybe something in between would work for everyone.
    Many of those things cannot be changed without a full redesign of the car.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    I monitor several sites on behalf of Ford and as you can imagine it is a daunting task to review all the postings as there are hundreds of threads on Edmunds.com alone. However, I assure you Ford is interested in your feedback. One of the best ways to share your comments on vehicles, both future and current models, is to go to customersaskford.com. Type in "feedback" and follow the directions. Your comments and input will be forwarded to the correct department for review. We appreciate the time you take to share your views with us.
    Wow, someone from Ford actually reads these threads. That is very encouraging. There are many out here who want the American car companies to win. I am one who is with you till the end. I only drive Ford and Lincolns. My two sons both have Mustangs and said a Ford is all they are going to drive. Wishing you guys well in the upcoming negotiations.

Just returned from France and Germany and saw all types of Fords I never heard of. Also noticed in the stores in France that there was very little made in China stuff. They elect to pay higher prices to keep the jobs in the homeland.

Anyway, I will go to the site mentioned to put in my future comments. The main item I want is better fuel economy or a hybrid or electric version!
    I agree with all the items on Tiger16's wish list. I really like this car (actually love some aspects of it) and feel more connection with it than I did with my Lexus ES 300 BUT...I would like to see (1) better rear visibility; (2) better seat support (in the buttocks area, if I have to be specific) and better "finish" (e.g., carpeting looks cheap not high-thread count like Lexus; back side of glove box is 1/2 open.

Overall, though, I think Lincoln came close to nailing it with the MKZ. It's a great car!
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Kudos to Ford for watching this site ... and responding!
    Just purchased '08 MKZ fwd( replaces '03 Saab ), considered Lexus ES 350, but after trade MKZ was 5k less and my wife liked the color (silver vapor). Didn't need the AWD since my other car is Subaru Tribeca.

My first Ford since my '65 Mustang.

Jerry
    Thanks to fomocona for responding to my post and to calidd for the positive input. So, Ford listens but, do they respond? Case in point - the hood prop rod and lack of console rear vents have received numerous complaints. These are easily corrected, however, 3 yrs on now and still nothing has been done.
    Anyway, I thought I would add to the growing list of tweaks:
    Taller tires - all other things being equal, the more air between the bottom of the wheel and the road, the smoother the ride. The MKZ uses series 50 tires - too low. I checked the MKZ's competitors (Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW) and ALL use series 55 tires. One might then assume that the 55 is the best tire for handling AND ride. Personally, I prefer a 60.
    Hood shock - this has been beaten to death so, I'll only say if Lincoln wants to be considered a luxury brand, the prop rod has to go.
    Console rear vents - takes too long and difficult to maintain a comfortable temperature for rear passengers without rear vents. Again, are you a luxury brand or not?
    I would like to commend Ford for an overall good first effort and for providing a lot of bang for the buck. It's now time to bring the MKZ to the next level. I would also like to thank Ford for making the moonroof an option and not standard. Some of us don't like them and at 6'2" some of us find them a tight squeeze. When I got my 06 it came down to the Zeph and the ES. Couldn't get the ES w/o the moonroof so I went with the Zeph. Making the moonroof std. is nothing more than a money grab. Keep it an option.
    Also, I'm disappointed in the lack of activity on this site. Some of the other sites I peruse are jammed daily. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of Lincoln passion out there right now and that doesn't bode well for this nameplate. Sites like this MAY be an opportunity to wake Ford up and elevate this car. Keep the comments coming!
  • The MKZ was never meant to be a car that inspires "passion." It was stop gap only. The LS was the last time Lincoln has tried to leapfrog over the pack.

The MKS should be a better effort, but the time it has taken to bring it to market is shameful, especially since there has been nothing else sedan-wise in the pipeline--until the very recent decision to get a RWD sedan up and running in a "few years."

It was over five years ago that the Continental concept was shown. It will be SIX years from there to Job 1 on the MKS. And it will offer nothing much that hasn't been available via Acura and Lexus and Audi for years.

Passion would be the MKR. Passion would have been the Continental in 2005. Passion is not MKZ and MKX, a new nose on the Navigator, or the laughably neglected Town Car.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Tiger, you originally suggested MKZ owners describe what tweaks they would like. I would add that those of us who considered an MKZ but did not buy could provide insight as well.

I agree with your list of tweaks. In fact, a couple of the shortcomings you mentioned are exactly why I am not driving an MKZ. I would, of course, add the D-L shifter as another big turn-off for me. The lack of stability control has been beaten to death but I will give it another whack.

As for the suspension tuning and tires, it would make sense to have a standard set-up with ride compliance the primary goal and an optional sport package with the firmer suspension and more aggressive low profile tires. Why not give buyers the choice?

I think it is a good bet that many of the shortcomings will be addressed in the next rendition of this car.
    What happen to all the talk from Billy Ford about Hybirds and Fords committment to them? My main wish is for better fuel economy.
    They were waiting for the 2nd gen hybrid system which I think just arrived with the Escape/Mariner hybrid. The CD3 hybrid (Fusion/Milan/MKZ?) will arrive next year.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    "They were waiting for the 2nd gen hybrid system which I think just arrived with the Escape/Mariner hybrid. The CD3 hybrid (Fusion/Milan/MKZ?) will arrive next year."

Huh? What 2nd gen hybrid technology? The Mariner/Escape have the same hybrid tech this year as they've had for the past several AFAICT. I looked on Mariner website and nothing says anything has changed for 2008.
    As you know I'm sure, Ford's hybrid technology is not Ford tech, it is licensed from Toyota and Toyota controls the supply of parts in the sense that they buy more and get first dibs. For Ford to do more hybrids, the supply of components will need to increase.
    That's why I said "I think" - apparently that was wrong. The 2nd gen hybrid system won't appear until next year with the Fusion Hybrid.

The 2nd gen hybrid system is more modular and more flexible and can be used in a variety of applications more easily.

As for Ford using Toyota's technology, you're incorrect. Ford developed their hybrid system on their own, then licensed certain parts from Toyota because their own internal design was very similar to Toyota's and they didn't want to risk a lawsuit for patent infringement. In return Toyota also licensed certain technologies from Ford. They also buy certain parts like transmissions from Toyota for the current hybrid Escape/Mariner - not sure if that's the case for the 2nd gen systems. I do know they use the same battery supplier as Toyota and batteries are the limiting factor right now.
  • steprov1steprov1 Member Posts: 8
    This forum could use some new blood. I wanted to read ALL of the previous posts & reviews (you can read my review, #120)before I checked in. I've now had my '06 Zephyr for 5 months & about 3K miles. I still think it's a great car for the money. I've had no problems whatsoever. The MKZ must be a nice performance upgrade as I have found 221 h.p. with the 6 speed to be very satisfying. Before I saw this car on the lot, I was unaware that Lincoln was producing a car in this segment. I was ready to purchase a CTS. Lincoln has a winner here. I'm glad to see they are advertising it. All that remains is to add lowcost standard features like a trunk closing strap, backup sensors and protective side molding. Stability control should be added ASAP to keep the car competitive. And yes, the prop rod has got to go. Add features that make a Lincoln special! A Lincoln should offer features (including an engine)not available on a Mercury. A Mercury should offer features not available on a Ford...