Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Yes, I'm a little surprised it took so long so make that simple but brilliant, Rainman-like observation.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,422
    I didn't say (or mean) Cadillac's scheme has a lot of continuity. I can just see some.

BTW, XC is shorthand for Cross Country (like MK is purported to be for "Mark"...which I still don't see).
    And that raises another question:
    who is or was Mark and why is Lincoln insisting on naming all their vehicles after him? ;)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "They would be looking good right now if they had brought the AWD NaviCross to market. With styling that sells now (a la Chrysler 300) yet with Lincoln look and heritage, giving those who want to move back to a sedan from an SUV a unique choice. Oh well."

That's funny - you just described me to a tee. I've been in Lincolns since 1990. First Sedans, then the Navigators, now I wanted to go back to a sedan, but not the Town Car.... The Navicross would have been perfect for me - and alas, it's not built. Neither is the new Continental concept built. Neither was the Mark 9 concept built. What does Lincoln have for a guy like me? A compact, baby, underpowered close of a Fusion...... And that's not gonna do it for me. So, I had to leave. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Lincoln, and would love to own another one, but it has to be special. It's gotta have WoW factor, and presence (that's SIZE) to get me.
    "Mark-Z" sounds like a former member of Menudo or someone on the cover of Tiger Beat.
  • I was just at the Lincoln Dealer and he quoted my 3.9% financing for 5 years and $1000 cash bonus incentive. I don't think they have the 0% for five years incentive on this car anymore. And the warranty of 6 years was for 07 models only, at least according to the salesman.

Now If I could of bought this car 1 month ago for 0% financing (same model year) why would I agree to pay 3.9% now?
    You should never depend on a car salesman to give you accurate information about anything. That's why you have this machine (a computer) in front of you. Click on that Lincoln ad on the left side of this page. You are in charge of knowing the facts before you get to the dealership.
  • caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    I think the 0% financing is still available but for 3 years, not 5. Lincoln.com tells you.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The new engine, which the 1,000-employee factory started producing a month ago;

http://tinyurl.com/o6xwn

Notice the large "Z" in the MKZ on the drivers door..
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    If memory serves me, (and it probably doesn't), Mark was the very helpful transmission engineer that helped develop the tranny for the '00 LS. That was in the good old days when Lincoln actually was getting everything right and gaining market share and outselling Caddy. Between Mark, Jim Rogers and other Lincoln execs and engineers, we could actually get answers to our questions and make suggestions that were listened to.
    PS- Mark is mkovalsk on these boards, and is still active in several Lincoln discusions.
    Ahhhhh- the good old days (early Y2K) :surprise:
  • bigtbigt Posts: 413
    It is so hard for me to figure out with all our technology and designers why we cannot 'One-up' the other auto manufactures. I am not in the industry but I am in the software industry and once you look at the competitions features you study which ones the customers are asking for or buying, prioritize them and put them in ASAP. Its always been a balance of power and efficiency but now it is getting down to the "neat" features especially in the 30-40k range. Folks want fancy styling, plug in's for their IPODS or MP3 players, they want fancy rims, cold/hot cup holders, AWD, etc. Look at the changes GM has done and look at all the new models they have now. I have to agree with some of the discussions I have read here. Ford better get moving! :sick:
    The way the emblem on the door reads; "Mk" with a big 'ol "Z" really highlights the McDonalds "McZ" issue.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,722
    As great as Mr. Kovalsk is (and I've know him for at least 10 years), I don't think he was the inspiration for the 1956 Continental Mark II. ;)
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    Ford insisted that the new model names be pronounced "Mark X" and "Mark Z," rather than simply citing the letters.

Ford said it got an earful from people who thought the new naming scheme was downright confusing.

"The customers and dealers were unanimous in telling us that," Ford spokesman Jim Cain said. "We decided with finality that we're going to launch these vehicles as the MKX (pronounced em-kay-ex) and the MKZ (pronounced em-kay-zee)."

The decision was made last week.

http://tinyurl.com/zxpqg
    It's agreed that the whole Mark-whatever scheme was just ridiculous, but how can they be so flaky?
    It's just pathetic.
    What a mess.
  • theman123theman123 Posts: 170
    Hey I was messing around on Google and found this Video Review of the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. Another great review. What do you think of it ???? :)

Zephyr Video Review
  • theman123theman123 Posts: 170
    Well somebody at Ford is paying attention to what we have to say. I found this article on the web. It's official the MKS concept is going to replace the Town Car. It's suppose to show up as a 2007 model. Thoughts ????

MKS Sedan

:)
    "Although this dramatic sedan is officially a concept, what you're looking at is the all-new replacement for Lincoln's LS, due in 2007."
    They've also moved the date out to early 2008. The car was shown at the Detroit auto show in January.
    That is old news.

First of all, the MKS is the LS replacement. The Town Car replacement has been canned, and there is nothing in the pipeline right now to replace the cancelled replacement. Very, very bad planning. It is no wonder Lincoln has sunk so low. They can no longer blame the Firestone fiasco for Lincoln's failure to have a flagship sedan in 2008. And, by the way, lest anyone think otherwise, the MKS will not be a 2007 model. It won't be ready yet. Hopefully, they can still introduce it in 2007 as a 2008.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 413
    Nice review. I also like the way the MKX looks!
  • While the MKS looks cool, I have a few reservations...

first of all, the MARK name should only be used in two door coupes, such as the Mark VII, or Mark VIII, and if Lincoln has anything in its pants, they will make a Mark IX, out of the current mustang, only fit the Aluminum 5.4 as the base engine and give it nav, HID, LED, the turning lights, ETC.

Second, the MKS will come out the gate inferrior, with a Japanese V8 that barely compets with the calillac (315hp Vs 320) and Cadillac will probably update that engine soon.

please don't give me the 'its not all about power' routine we have been though it already.

The interrior of the MKS looks so old I need to join the AARP just to get in.

Exterrior looks nice, though. I don't understand why they will can the LS when they could invest in the 3.9 V8, up it to 4.6 or 4.8, and have it get at least 350hp, then make the MKS your flagship, not midlevel sedan.

I drove an LS with the 3.9L, very smooth and responsive engine.

It seems they are screwing this up like they did the CVT (now watch nissan make some money off of it) and many other things. Makes a USA fan pretty sad :sick:
    Well, at least it is NOT a Mark anymore. Official pronunciation is now Em Kay Ess.
  • some light at the end of the tunnel. You know its there, you just can't see it yet ;)
  • ace35ace35 Posts: 131
    I drove an LS with the 3.9L, very smooth and responsive engine.

Agreed, what a smooth and potent engine. What lincoln should do instead of shelving this high revving masterpiece is install it in the MKX crossover to differentiate it from the edge, or at the least make it an option.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    I gotta admit, I can't see much reason to buy a new Zephyr when a new LS can be had right now for about the same, maybe a bit more, money.
    Rear seat legroom, more trunk space, better fuel economy, regular fuel instead of premium. There are a few. But if you're talking about performance, handling, power and amenities then an 06 LS is a downright steal at $15K or more off MSRP.
  • Ford does not have to resort to a foreign engine, when they can have (what i believe is) their own, or at least mostly their own with the 3.9, especially the one in the 2003 and up LS, I mean THE LS IS exactly what most people want now, V8, RWD!

Why not just make a new fresher LS, put in the 3.5 V6 with 265hp, them upgrade the V8 to 4.6 or 4.8L's and have it make 350hp, as i said B4?

WHY NOT? Is it b/c ford does not want to sell cars anymore? Or b/c they agreed with GM to stop making RWD cars so Cadillac can do better, and Cadillac will stop with the FWD?

Who knows. The point is that all the LS really needed was a power boost, and to have more suspension damping, so you don't hear the bumps as much. It is a great car otherwise IMO.
    Even though your question has been answered before (the DEW98 chassis is simply too expensive to make money in the LS price range, and it is now out of date as well and in need of expensive re-engineering), your question is still a good one. Using the LS as a base, Ford could have engineered a less espensive RWD architecture (as they did with the Mustang). They could also have moved the LS upmarket with more Continental concept styling and amenities, etc.).

But they won't be doing those things. No leadership at the helm apparently--at least none that understands what Lincoln ought to be.

So we will get McZ and soon McX and some time after that, the McS (which will be middling-of-the-pack-to-obsolete by the time it is belatedly introduced)...none of which bear any relationship to the others stylistically, or as obvious placeholders in a range of luxury automobiles.