Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "With the right re-style and upgrades, the LS could have moved upmarket where it would have had more prospects for making a profit."

Ford did. If you noticed the pricing on the LS the past 2 years, it has gone up quite a bit in comparison to the loaded $41K pricetag when it debuted. My '05 came in at $53K...Obviously, I paid less than half. And to bring in the Zephyr in '06, Lincoln made the LS only available on V8, and killed the V6.

"My guess is they'll move Zephyr production to wherever they're making the MkX and Edge freeing up more production for Fusions/Milans and allowing more MkZ production"

Good guess, although let me toss another one your way. Zephyr/MKZ over to AutoAlliance, along with the Mustang and Mazda6. Well, new '08 Mazda6 that is.
  • Care to drop in the Mark LT thread?
    I did, nothing happening there though.
  • What happened to the freshened Mark LT they said would be unveiled at the NY Auto show?
  • Understated and bland are two different things. The 1961-69 Continentals may have been understated, but few saw them as bland. Furthermore, time has been kind to the design. On the other hand, time will find the 500 as forgettable in 20 years as it is today.

Agreed on the first part. The '61 Continentals were pretty much hailed as a welcome change from the excess at Cadillac.

On the other hand, I for one happen to like the 500's design much better than the Chrysler 300, just because it is bland and doesn't get tiresome to look at. If only it had more power. And, IMO, my LS is classically understated, not bland.

Now, back to Zephyr....
    I do not know much of what occured with the NY Auto Show, although I did here something in relation to that issue.
  • I was wondering how many people do you think the lincoln zephyr can fit? Can it fit 5 people in the car comfortably, to anyone to owns the zephyr. Thanks and God Bless.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Depends on how big they are and for how long. There is room for 5 for short trips - no problem. Longer trips are probably ok unless it's 3 full size adults. That might be a bit tight.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    2 adults and a teen fit fine in the rear seat. 2 in the back with the cup holder folded down in the middle would be better for a long haul. It has a huge trunk so plenty of space there. I am starting to see more and more of them on the road. No problems with mind as I approach the 5k mark. I use to own the 300m, I was over looking at their threads and all they are talking about over there are mechanical problems with the 300m. My Zephyr is doing just fine! :shades:
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    You are starting to see more and more of them on the road?? I am a car oriented guy living in an urban area, and I have seen exactly zero that were not on dealers' lots.
    And of course it is the concept car, not the real Zephyr, that is used for the illustration.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    'The LS was just the first part of a bigger plan for Lincoln that included a 3 series and 7 series competitor plus European exports. Then the Firestone fiasco hit, Lincoln's budget got cut by 70% overnight which killed the other new vehicles. This drove up the cost of the DEW98 platform even higher with only 1 Lincoln vehicle using it. Then they were kicked out of the PAG and export plans were killed. When they discontinued the Continental the LS was forced to fill that void in the dealer lineup which led to even further price reductions, ensuring the LS was losing money on every sale. THAT's when they stopped advertising it.

The sad part is they had at least a 2 year headstart on Cadillac back then. The LS was tested on the Ring way before the CTS.

Blame Firestone, lawyers and stupid SUV drivers."

Exactly right, akirby - and it's a real shame. If Lincoln would have stayed on course, like Nasser planned (the possibly one thing he did right at Ford), I'd probably be driving the 7-series version today, instead of a Lexus.
    And to follow up on the generous lease incentives...

Our local dealers are advertising new Zephyrs for $25,399 before any dickering. This includes rebate, FMCC rebate, discount, etc. That's $4,300 right there for an allegedly hot product in short supply.

Of course that discount pales in comparison to the TC discount: the MSRP is listed at $43,000 and the sale price as $28,995. MSRP joke, I'd say. With new Grand Marquis' going for less than $16,000 and Mariners a bit more than that, is it any wonder Lincoln Mercury (and Ford) is not making any money?

It's a bad precedent that the Zephyr is setting for the better equipped 2007 MKZ. With some exceptions of course, most people are going to demand big discounts as expected, or go elsewhere
  • Well, I consider myself a car-oriented guy living in an urban area, and I've seen at least 4 distinct Zephyrs on the road in the last two months. It's taken a while to see any not on the lot, though. 4's not many, but at least it's something.
  • caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    Anyone know what the gas mileage will be on the 3.5 engine in the 2007 MKz? Is mpg likely to drop substantially?

Also, how will the increased HP (not AWD, just increased HP) on the 2007 MKz affect MSRP of the MKz as compared to the 2006 Zephyr?
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    FWIW - The following is from Automotive News 4/24/06, the article requires subscription so I don't know any more than this..

Renamed Zephyr will get higher sticker
    Lincoln's entry-level model will top $30,000
    Lincoln plans to raise the price of its entry-level sedan when it renames it the MKZ for the 2007 model year. That car, which debuted as the Zephyr for the 2006 model year, is being renamed this fall to align with Lincoln's new alphabetic naming scheme. story Published: 4/24/06 6:00 AM [SUB][$]
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Unless they include other current options as standard items I wouldn't expect the base price to rise more than a few hundred dollars. Fuel mileage should be very close if not identical to the current model.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    Also, how will the increased HP (not AWD, just increased HP) on the 2007 MKz affect MSRP of the MKz as compared to the 2006 Zephyr?

The new 3.5L Duratec will improve mileage over the present engine by 7% which is very significant, particularly in view of the substantial increase in power:

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_lincoln_zephyr_duratec_2/index.html
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    There is NO direct comparison to the Duratec 3.0 in that article. And the "as much as" language could also mean there would be 0.00001% improvement...or none at all.