Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Well, Miss Manners will come down on me if I say you're wrong, so I wont say it.

What I will say is that it is my understanding that the Mustang was "partially" based on the LS, they tossed out IRS as being too expensive and modified the rest to not use aluminum or anything else expensive.

Mazda 6 modified for RWD does not sound reasonably do-able to me. If they have a RWD platform from the Mazda 6, what do they need the Aussi Falcon for? Doesn't make sense.

If you have quotable info to the contrary, I'm interested in seeing it.
  • I think thats what ANT said.
    Well, it looks like we've heard the last from ANT.

What about you, Allen, akirby, what's your understanding of the genus of the Mustang platform?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,690
    just look at a mustang, you have your answer for that.
  • Mustang actually does not feel so good when you try to turn around corner. I cannot believe it has any relation to LS.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    We've been through this before. The Mustang was initially going to be based on the dew98 platform but the only parts that ended up being the same are the floorpan and fuel tank. And it has no relation whatsoever to the Mazda6. savetheland misunderstood something somewhere.

S197 (mustang) is actually stiffer than the dew98 platform. The Tbird required cross braces behind the seats to make it stiff enough for a convertible - the mustang couldn't use those because it has a rear seat.
  • Yeah ANT possibly meant C1 or Ford Focus platform, aka in USA as Mazda3. The following is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D2C_platform

"The D2C (for "D-class 2-door coupe" and also known as DC2 and S197) is Ford's newest global rear-wheel drive automobile platform. The platform basics are a MacPherson strut suspension in front and 3-link solid axle in the rear with a Panhard rod. The 2007 high performance Special Vehicle Team (SVT) Mustang variation, called the Shelby GT500, will not include an SVT-designed independent rear suspension, but will also have the solid rear axle. Engines include a 4.0 L V6, Ford's Modular 4.6 L V8, and a supercharged 5.4 L Modular V8 in the GT500.

Despite rumours, D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type. The 2005 S197 Mustang was originally designed to use a "Lite" version of the DEW98 platform, but while that plan was eventually scrapped as too expensive, most D2C platform development completed prior to that decision was retained. This led to the carryover of several DEW98 chassis components. These components include the floor pans, transmission tunnel, front frame rails, and fuel tank design.

Differences between D2C and DEW98 are most noticeable in the suspension: The DEW98-based Lincoln LS uses a 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. The D2C platform's MacPherson strut front suspension and solid axle rear suspension are less expensive to produce than DEW's more complicated setup. D2C also shares components with other Ford platforms. These include Ford's global C1 platform, with which D2C shares front strut and rear trailing arm components.

Ford's current The Way Forward plan calls for Mustang derivative models to be launched in 2007 and 2008.

Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

2005-present Ford Mustang "
  • Regardless of which platform underpins what car, I'm still enjoying my LS.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 413
    Saw a Black MKX and it really stands out. I might go ahead and order one. I guess this means I could use my X-pricing and avoid the lines! :)

BTW: Z's are now being offered at Invoice by some of the dealers.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Yeah, big success. They don't have the production capacity to build even as many as they did the LS, and even with the limited production, the price is already falling close to invoice. Lincoln needs more punch and pizazz.

The MKX definitely does stand out more in the traffic stream (than the MKZ). Don't know how long that will last though, once 150,000 Edges are out there driving around.
    So you see a ton of Edges out there. That is a good thing for Ford. Did you see all of the Lincoln commerials last night. The MKX was all over last night game. Too bad that none of the dealers have any of them. I did spot a couple in the inventory one around 36k and the other around 44k.
  • Hi big t, Do you know of specific dealers selling at invoice? Appreciate your help.
    I've been seeing ads for the emm kay exx for a month or so. Have yet to see the real thing anywhere including my (ex)dealership.
    Yesterday I had occasion to drive all over the SF Bay Area on some delivery missions for my art business. I saw several billboards announcing the new Edge. Passed several Ford dealerships. Not one had an actual vehicle.
    Is this anyway to run a car company?

BTW, those TV ads for Lincoln now show their "family" of vehicles to be Navigator, emm kay exx and emm kay zee. They dont show the truck and they dont show the Town car. Why? Esp the TC - are they ashamed of it?
    Well, if they are not ashamed, they should be. What a shame to let a great car like that go completely to seed. Now, if they can just hang on with this motley little family until a few more members are born...
  • I saw a TV ad this morning, for the first time, part of Lincoln's holiday "dreams come true" advertising, for the TC. They showcased the navi and THX sound.
  • the 'sedan' will not be a new lincoln sedan, but the new Lincoln Mark IX!!!!!!!

I think the Mark VII and VIII were based on the mustang. There is not much engineering that ford would have to do to make a new Lincoln mark IX, and if its based on this musang, but perhaps have the F-150's Aluminum 5.4 in it, I will be very interested in taking a look.

This is what lincoln needs right now, an American made Coupe, that could capitalise on the economies of scale benefits derived from the Mustang by using its platform, but dressed in lincoln duds, with at least the option of the 5.4. Hell, even if they keep the 4.6 it would be good.

It would do allot for lincoln's image. I think the marks were great cars. This would be the only lincoln that should be called a mark anywhay. Oh man, do you guys think its true? This would be so cool.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    Just because a concept car is built on a mustang platform doesn't mean the production version would be. If it's planned for a new platform that isn't ready yet then a mustang platform would be the only logical choice for the concept.

IIRC (big IF), the first mustang concept was built on the dew98 platform.
    For several past designs and re-designs, the T-bird and Mark shared a platform (though they never looked alike). They were not based on the Mustang chassis. However, nothing wrong with doing that going forward.
    After months of flip-flop yesterday I wrote the check and today I pick up my new Vivid Red black on black with Nickel satin fully loaded AWD MKZ! I sold my Zephyr to a friend. Amazing that driving back on the highway I get caught in rush hour right next to another Zephyr with my exact same color. This is about the first time I have ever seen one in the area.

I love the color but it was the interior that sold me on this one. I really like the nickel satin accents throughout the cabin! :blush:
    "Vivid Red black on black with Nickel satin fully loaded AWD MKZ!"

Sounds beautiful. Congradulations.
  • Big t, where did you buy it and how was the deal. I live in Md.
    Thanks, and I love it! The nav is great. The ride is better than my Zephyr and around 70 mph you could whisper in the car!

The deal was from East/West in Landover. They were all professional. I asked for and received invoice without any haggle.

The red really stands out and lots of head turning during the drive. I couldn't be happier!
  • Did you buy or lease? I too want vivd red, how does the black interior look with this. I want to lease. So no need for xplan huh. Sounds terrific. You mean they just gave you invoice? What is up with that?
  • Did you buy or lease? I too want vivd red, how does the black interior look with this. I want to lease. So no need for xplan huh. Sounds terrific. You mean they just gave you invoice? What is up with that?
    I purchased the MKZ. The black interior really looks nice with the red. The satin accents are throughout the cabin and really look nice. I like this look better than black with dark wood.

I was also surprised how easy it was for me to get invoice. Heck now I am wondering if I should have asked for below invoice!
    I am about to go get some window tinting doe and have a few questions:

1. The window looks like it has some level of tinting already? Looks like 5-10% but not sure.

2. If you have a navigation system you have to get a different type of tinting. This is because the tint has some sort of metal in it and it interferes with the navigation system. In the past the sensor for the nav was on the dashboard and this makes sense. However on the MKZ the sensor for the nav and Sirus radio are on the roof. Seems to me that window tinting can't interfere with the nav now. The reason I as is the special tint (film) is about a 100 bucks more.

Any ideals on this?
    Found out the answers to this. There is an additional nav sensor inside the back window so no choice but to get the film tint. Well it really looks sharp now the darker windows on that vivid red.

The car really is nice to drive. I can really feel the difference from the Zephyr it has an additonal kick expecially going from 50 to 70.
  • caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    I have been having trouble finding a photo of the satin nickle trim (alternative to the two wood trims). Can anyone send me to one or direct me to where I could find one on the internet?

Many thanks.
    Here you go there are several satin accents throughout the cabin:

• caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    Thanks, bigt! Wow! That's sharp!

Is satin nickel offered with light stone interior as well? If so, do you know of any photos with the satin nickel trim and light stone leather? Thanks.