Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• bigtbigt Posts: 412
    With gas prices as they are, who even is driving these days like a bat out of hell. Makes no sense this emphasis on acceleration. Heck a GPS is more important to me these days then being able to race some kids!
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    My two cents...
    236 hp is pretty good, I think. Especially in a 3.2. I happen to like that Ford and Volvo are remaining separate in terms of most engines and platform designs. I like that the 500 (highly modified from the Volvo platform) offers a 3.0 that has less hp than the 3.2. I still think they should offer it to those customers who don't want a bigger engine.

I don't think it is Volvo's fault that Ford took so long to develop an engine competitive with offerings from other companies. It is not just the 3.5 delay. Where is Ford's Hurricane engine? Where is the hot engine for the Focus? Why isn't there anything bigger than the 3.5 on the horizon for the 500? Where's any diesel for American Fords? Why are the hybrid models so far behind Toyota and Honda's offerings? Why can't they put something competitive in the Town Car?

The Zephyr will now get the 3.5, but what will be offered above that and when? The Fusion will soon need the 3.5 to be competitive (the Escape as well), and so how will the MTZ stand out? Volvo's I6 and V8 on its flagship seems a good range by comparison.
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    I have the THX stereo (but no nav). The tuner button also has a icon on it that looks like a phone. Any idea what that is for?
  • Yeah the blue pearl color looking Zephyr is really nice but I can find a color online? Do you know where I can a find of the blue/purple lookng Zephyr? But yeah I see to many Toyotas on the road, and only a few Zephyrs. But I'll pray about it. Thanks and God Bless.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother God about such a superficial thing as my choice of a near luxury sedan...but then maybe that's just me. God bless you too.
  • Well I see God as a Father I try to talk to him about everything :)))))) But thanks for the choice, this is really a hard decision. greg if you had to choose which one would you get? Both are great cars. God Bless
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    I Peter 5:7

I would choose the Oxford White Clearcoat with Dark Charcoal leather. Magnificent color combination!
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    Chief, did you see any new/unique color combos for the 07?
    I'd get the MTZ. The Avalon is an awfully good vehicle, and has more toys than the Lincoln, but it is even more an old guys' car than the MTZ...and it is a bit bigger than I like.
  • rolo77rolo77 Posts: 31
    Sorry, the overseas dealer stated most all new Specs should
    be on the July disk, so I can do a complete build for a MKZ 07, I will update all Specs on this site, if they become available in July

Chief
  • Yeah but I was trying to stay under $30,000, the mtz is about 33k right?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    MTZ??? I guess this new naming scheme isn't catching on. Did you mean MKZ?
  • turbo/Supercharging is a cheap and inferrior way of getting engines performance levels up. Don't get me wrong, its not bad that the 3.2 will have boost, but imagine what would happen is the toyotas had boost? 400hp v6? Its hapenning to the nissan.

The point is, that boost is good in a sports car, but to make your engine turbo JUST TO KEEP IT competetive? Thats not good news.

No one is driving like a bat out of hell, but if i can get 50hp more for the same money than that will HEAVILY influence my descision. 10hp i can undrstand, but 50? That smells bad.

Also, don't forget that the toyota engines get close to of above 30mpg hyway while still delivering close to 300hp. In this age, Ford should have collaborated with volvo, released a 300hp VVT DI engine, and finally lead the competition.

ANT, engine "exclusivness" takes second place to bieng able to compete.

I know your defending it, and i understand why, but Ford got licked this time, by themselves. I do not think many people at lease here in the US will choose a V6 volvo that gets mid 90's power levels when for the same fuel economy they can bet 50 more hp in a toyota (and now GM and even some other Fords).

Unless they make that 3.2 make 270 hp without steroids, then this engine was a colossal waste of time and money, no matter how 'smooth' it is.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    I wouldn't want a Toyota, or any other FWD vehicle with a 400HP V6. I can tell you, the Camry chassis can't handle power past 300HP according to the rigidity. If so, the result is a body/engine that flex, and can actually soften the whole platform making it literally unsafe.

I personally would have preferred the Yamaha 4.4L on something like an S60...reality is, the weight over the front wheel would create a sloppy handler. Boosting resolves those issues, without having to compensate in other ways.

Yes, for must less money there's other like Nissan and Toyota, but for whatever "X X X" reasons, people will not choose them. It's all about their personal taste and what their requirements are.

I do understand your frustration, I too wish that everything had massive engines under the hood. Unfortunately Ford is putting out many wildfires at the moment, an unfair exchange rate with foreign rivals, UAW, etc. And for Volvo, at this time, it's needs, it's customers, it's allowance, it's purpose, the 3.2L is what will work, with an "R" boosted model later.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Where is Ford's Hurricane engine?
    It's debuting in the next F-series coming up in 2008.

Where is the hot engine for the Focus?
    Which engine would that be?

Why isn't there anything bigger than the 3.5 on the horizon for the 500?
    The 3.5L can be bore/stroked to 3.8/4.0 easily...BUT, why increase weight when the 3.5L with DI can accomplish it in a simpler fashion.

Where's any diesel for American Fords?
    There's the Powerstroke Diesel that have existed for years on the F-series. There's a larger one coming up soon. As for vehicles, Ford has a Diesel team studying the posibility of using it in sedans provided current emmission standards are phased in.

Why are the hybrid models so far behind Toyota and Honda's offerings?
    The supplier (Sanyo-which Toyota uses as well and favors supplying them over Ford) can't produce enough battery packs, therefore they are tapped out. Ford is seeking other alternatives here in the U.S.

Why can't they put something competitive in the Town Car?
    Do you really want to increase the rate of store-front accidents caused by grannies with 350HP on tap who claimed the car leaped and lost control?....

Although I agree, and have been frustrated about that. Slamming a 300HP 4.6L in there is long overdo. But that platform won't be around for long...
  • If Lincoln wants to be perceived as a player in the near-luxury class segment with the MKZ, a news report on the ABC Evening News tonight touting the importance of ESC may force the issue. In this competitive market, perceptions are important. I can see now the buyer who heretofore hadn't heard or cared about ESC asking about it when car shopping and leaving when told it's not available.

While it may be a worthwhile safety feature, especially for those drivers distracted by juggling their Big Mac and their mobile phone, the lack of it probably wouldn't be a make or break for me. But I'm wondering, is ESC going to at least be offered on the '07 MKZ?
    In a word, no.

I had hopes for Mark Fields. All he has done of a positive note was kickstart the Hurricane engine program again. Whoever made the decision to suspend it should be fired.

While GM is speeding up introductions, in some cases by as much as a year, Ford is using their troubles to go back to the drawing board, delaying some introductions by as much as two years. How does such ineptness get to run big companies?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    Fields needs to be making long term changes, not short term fixes. What little we've seen so far seems promising.

The problem is that in some cases Ford either doesn't have anything on the drawing board (B car e.g.) or what they have just isn't right, so they don't have much choice other than to start over. Ford can't afford to do it wrong - they have to get it right even if it means waiting.
    I beg to differ. Ford does not know how to get it right. They have some some clues, guesses, and some consumer research (which to date hasn't been as useful as they would have liked). Nothing they are planning is a sure winner, and their track record of knowing winners beforehand is at best spotty.

Like other car companies, Ford needs to get quality stuff out there and see if it takes. If it doesn't, they need other ideas waiting in the wings. I'd sure hate to see them delay the B car, for example, until 2010, and then either find that the marketplace had moved on, or the design itself receive a luikewarm reception.
  • On the other hand, look at the damage to reputation done by introducing the Five Hundred and the Zephyr: horsepower generally bashed by the car mags (both) and with bland styling (Five Hundred - matter of taste, that, - I like the styling) and no ESC (Zephyr). They can drop in more horsepower, tweak the styling, and add the goodies, but consumers' perceptions will have been made.

Maybe it is better to wait a couple of years to get the product right, or more so, before introduction. It's kind of a case of "darned if you do; darned if you don't."