Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    If you'd bothered to read the text you'd see that he acknowledges that would be a better test but he wasn't able to do that because the cars were at a dealership. This was the next best solution.

Obviously it would be better to actually measure the interior temperature of identical cars, but for some reason we can't find that type of experiment, at least not with a google search.

If you walked up to a car and wanted to know if the interior of the car was hot or cool before you opened the door, what would you do? Look for an interior thermometer or feel the glass?
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    I am on Scooter's side of this, because no matter how reasonable a "theory" (hypothesis) may sound to some people, it has no real basis until it is tested. Auto glass is insulated to some degree...and to what degree has not been determined by this article. Even that is beside the point, because it is the interior where people sit (not the glass that they touch) that anyone cares about.

Most people who lives in very hot, sunny climes will continue to eschew black interiors. And the Zephyr happens to have an attractive light one. But I say, give it up, guys. This is definitely one of those discussions not worth a hissy fit.
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    I took it in for service and they declared that nothing is wrong with the airconditioner. However, they claimed that the calibration of the AC was set wrong (allegedly, this vehicle was set for "a colder climate" than here (San Jose California), and they recalibrated it.

Never heard of this before but whatever they did has made a big difference. The air blowing out is much colder - if I set the auto climate control at 67 as I used to, I'm freezing by the end of my 15 minute drive to work. It's now set at 70 degrees.

BTW, I still haven't seen a single other Zephyr on the roads here. MPG midway through the third tank is now 15.6 - doing a little more city driving, but I'm wondering if I have a chronic lead foot and/or the AC adjustment has made the MPG worse!
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    Since I sparked this discussion with my AC question (now resolved), I should add for the record that I have the tan interior.

The window temperature will have a positive correlation with the inside temperature but it's unlikely to be DIRECTLY proportional. The outside panel of an oven that is set to 500 degrees isn't twice as hot as that of the same oven set to 250 degrees.
  • 06zephyr06zephyr Posts: 32
    I have had the car since Dec. and I love it. No issues at all,knock on wood, and a pleasire to drive. MPG is around 22-25 on the open road and about 18 in stop and go. All I have gotten is compliments and WOWS from so many people.
    BTW....the 221 HP is fine even for entering highways and passing other cars

:)
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    I have always received 19-20 average MPG since I owned. I get 28-30 on the highway. I start the air around 72 and later move it up to 75 as I am freezing after about 15 minutes. The power in this car is just fine. It is a little noisy when accelerating. I drove a Chrysler 300 this week and you do not notice any noise when you accelerate. I was driving the touring version, not sure what type of engine was in it. I know it would price out more than the Zephyr. Can't wait for the 2007's. I wonder when you will be able to pre-order them?
  • Glad to hear 221hp is enough for you. I mean i guess even last year it was mederatley enough, but with toyotas new 268hp and 305hp V6 221 ain't gonna cut it.

Its very good to know Ford has that new 3.5 on the way. Are you considering test driving the MKZ when its out? You would have only had your car a year and could trade it in for what seems like a more advanced car with the same shape.

I don't think the 3.5 is oing to do much worse than the 22-25 you mentioned, thats the whole point of why it takes automakes a while to make a new engine, they up the power while keeping or increasing MPG.

This car should be a REAL threat to the ES350 since engine power is the same but the MKZ will have so many things going for it... as long as they DON'T up the price :mad:
  • caliddcalidd Posts: 60
    I just drove from Maryland through Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama to Nashville, Tennessee. Through all this traveling, I saw only one Zephyr. What's up with that?
  • 06zephyr06zephyr Posts: 32
    No im not interested in trading this one in for more HP.The car is a pleasure to drive just as it is and the HP is plenty to get on to highways and pass other cars. I have a sports car for the HP rush and the "luxury" one is fine just the way it is. Unless they do something with the torque im not so sure that an extra 29 HP will be that noticeable to the everyday driver.

:)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    They're selling great relative to production capacity but they've not sold that many to date in total numbers, so you won't see that many, especially in rural areas.
  • Yet another reason to buy the MKZ. Its very good to see that at least some us cars don't give upmuch to the competition.

Hopefully there are some interrior revisions as well.

It will be interesting to see if they have dealt with torque steer from the FWD version, since that much power might have some.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    Now the Lincoln boys need to get going and cannot sit on winning best cup holders. Just saw in the new redesigned Chrysler Sebring that they will have heated and chilled cup holders 140 - 35 degrees!

The battle continues. It never ends and hopefully we (the consumer) will continue to benefit! :shades:
  • hondacbr1khondacbr1k Posts: 12
    Well the one nice thing about 221hp in a front wheel drive car is that it is much more controllable. I had a 2004 Maxima with 265 HP and that thing had really bad torque steer. The Acura TL the same thing. I'll trade a few ponies for more composure. I just can't use the HP I have anyway between fear of tickets and no place to open her up.
  • rolo77rolo77 Posts: 31
    Does any one know the Ratio of the AWD, front/rear power and with 263 HP, I would think the AWD would have no problems with Torque steer, also with the extra weight of AWD drive, how much would that effect MPG (2 to 3 highway ?) and 0-60 times maybe (.3 to .4 second slower ?)

just weighing pros/cons AWD vs FWD
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    "Designer Anthony Prozzi is putting his touch on a new interior for the next-generation Lincoln Zephyr (to be called the MKZ). It's quite a challenge -- especially considering that the current model has won accolades for interior design." No specifics, just clues!

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23722
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    It may have won accolades from some quarters, but anything Lincoln can do to stand out or lead will be even better. The current interior is a great improvement over what had been offered in American designs, but it still doesn't have the refinement of Audi or the coming S80 Volvo or even the 2007 ES350.

As I was driving by the Lincoln store today, the line of Zephyrs at a quick glance looked like Fusions with a Lincoln front end. CTS Caddys certainly don't look like gussied up Malibus. So jazz up that interior and try to hang in there until Lincoln has enough money to make Lincolns look like Lincolns again.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    While dates are always subject to change, today is reportedly the last day of Zephyr 2006 model year production. 2007 model year MKZ production reportedly commences on 9/4/06..
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    I would hope not, since Malibus and CTS are totally different vehicles in different platforms.