Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• bigtbigt Posts: 412
    I will be taking a good look at the Milan Hybrid. If it gets over 30 mpg I am switching over!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,671
    It's basically the same drivetrain as the 2009 Escape hybrid. I'd figure slightly better highway FE (more aerodynamic) - maybe 30/34.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    The 2009 Escape Hybrid does 34 city/31 highway, so I would expect that the Milan will best that by a mile or two at least.
    Highway, yes because it's more aerodynamic. But I think the Fulan is heavier than the Escape so city mileage might be slightly lower. Also not sure they're using the same transmission. But it should be close.
    The Fusion is not significantly weavier than the Escape, It ought to do better than the Escape's already good numbers.. If not, someone was asleep at the switch,
    Weird but despite the high prices I have yet to even see a Ford Hybrid on the road anywhere.
  • cowbellcowbell Posts: 125
    They must all be in metro DC. It seems about every other Escape is a hybrid.
    I am in in Northern Va and have not see one every. I am starting to see more MKZ's. Almost every day. There is no doubt that traffic is starting to drop on the roads.
  • badhugobadhugo Posts: 10
    Anyone know when 911 Assist will be available on the 2009 MKZ?
    It's either a Job 2 item later this fall or it may wait for the 2010 model that rolls off the line in December, on sale in January. From what I hear it's worth waiting for. Mini-MKS is the term I've used.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 21
    I am looking at a used 2006 Zephyr with 85k km. I travel avg 55k km/yr (mostly hwy) I have heard the gas mileage isnt so great. Consumer reports says 30 mpg hwy. Can anyone give me an idea of some real world numbers?

Thanks
    Scott
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    Never have gotten better than 26-28 with my 08 MKZ ... that is at 65-70. When possible I travel at 75-80 mileage drops to 22-23. Have 15k after 10 months, no problems, love the car.

Jerry
    It's not a gas saver...it's supposed to be a near luxury sedan. Why would you look at 30 mpg as not so hot? That is really good for a midsize. The 06 was really just a Fusion with some extra lipstick. It should get that mpg if you drive judiciously. The 07 has a bigger engine and AWD option, so mileage will be less. If you want really high mpg, why look at a Zephyr at all? And if you want something with a few more bells and whistles, then mpg won't be your first priority.
    I've heard the 2010 MKZ referred to as a "mini-MKS" which would be a good thing. I really think they should offer a 4 cylinder version and a hybrid. No need to give up the little luxury items just to get good fuel economy.
    Well....the wife wants a 4 banger! Gas up here in Canada is a killer ($5.11/gal)!!!
    I use this as my office, so I think I can justify the extra cost. Have an '02 Buick Rendezvous AWD avg. 21mpg now. Looks as if I'm still better off.

Thanks
    That's not bad at all. I can travel 74 mph here without any worry of a ticket. The '08 has a bigger engine than '06 as well as AWD correct? Therefore, I should do better.
    Thanks
  • rablawrablaw Posts: 16
    I am deciding whether to lease a 2009 MKZ, Mercedes C 300 (or E350) or the new 2009 Acura RL (although when I drove tested the 08, I thought the ride comfort was way too rough for a "luxury" car and my 58 year old body, plus I am concerned about getting a car thats been re-designed too much in its first generation) -- which brings me to my aging eyes.

Just how effective are the xenon headlights on the MKZ. Can anyone tell me how worthwhile they are. How they compare to other brands?

I prefer to buy an American car. I thought the MKZ's ride was very good and you can't beat the price.
    Thanks.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    The HIDs on my Navigator are great.

But the MKZ is a Mexican car.
  • cowbellcowbell Posts: 125
    I have an engineer friend in Dearborn who helped design the car who might disagree with calling it a Mexican car. ;)

But yeah, it is disappointing that the final assembly point is Mexico. I've also heard the hours per vehicle number for that plant is pretty bad. But I guess when you're paying $9 an hour (which includes benefits) you can afford to be a little less productive.
    You want the xenons if you can afford them. Period.

The RL is more competitive with the MKS. This is not the "first generation" and it was overdue for a refreshing. A totally new one is coming in a year or two. You can get a great deal on an RL...it is much more car than the MKZ.

The 09 MKZ will be a short run...the 10 should be out in January, with a much better interior, and a bit more differentiation from the Fusion. Have you looked at an Infinity M series? Remember with all of them that ride quality is greatly affected by the wheels/tires you choose.
    I understand that the forthcoming "911 Assist" feature for Sync equipped Ford vehicles can automatically call for help if the Fuel Cut Off switch is activated in addition to air bag deployment. This could achieve about the same function as the
    OnStar AACN system that uses sensors located around the car to activate an automated call for help even if the air bags do not deploy.

Based on one rear end accident with very little damage to my Taurus it seems that the fuel cut off device is very sensitive, at least if your rear ended.

My question is, how sensitive is it to front and side impacts? Any real world experiences out there?
    Not sure, but it doesn't really matter because it notifies you verbally before dialing 911 and gives you 10 seconds to cancel the call.
    Yes it does matter because I want to know if it can reliably call for help if I'm unconcous even if the air bags do not deploy like OnStar AACN.
    I thought you were worried about unnecessary calls. I can't imagine you'd be knocked unconscious without the airbags deploying. Don't forget side airbags.
    A friend of mine was rear ended driving a Buick. Broke his neck. None of the air bags deployed.
    Fuel cut off too. See syncmyride.com - Coming Fall 2008 - 911 Assist - System Limitations.
    Barely avoided a huge accident today on DC beltway. Crusing about 65 everyone in front suddenly stopped, i stopped put on flashers saw a ton of traffic coming up fast from behind, car in front of me pull off to the side and revealed a large bike. I could not drive over it, I was stuck had to make a move, no choice off to the left I went, pedal to the medal. The MKZ had the right stuff. I cannot wonder what would have happen if all those cars hit me. Unfortunately I do not know what happen to everyone after me as you cannot just drive over a bike!
    That is precisely why Ford has new head restraints. The ones in older cars were a joke as far as safety is concerned.