Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    What if Lincoln came out with a RWD sedan with a supercharged 5.0L engine that beats a CTS-V? Would that change your mind?
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Allen said:
    Could they sell a lot of vehicles if they cut prices? You bet. And what do you think that will do to resale values and how much harder will it be to increase prices later?

This is what I think. Cutting prices could easily help resale value. Right now, Lincoln prices are set much higher than actual transaction prices, and THAT is what is hurting resale value at present.

Meanwhile, Ford has shown that you can increase prices AND resale value, if you have a vehicle like the Taurus that people believe is worth the asking price. Lincoln does not have such a vehicle, and until they do, they should not be asking so much money for their cars, when they actually sell them only with big discounts.
    Cutting prices would put Lincoln in the same price range as some of the Fords - how is that going to help?

If this was the end game for Lincoln then I would agree with everything you're saying. But it's obviously not. The plan is for much better products that justify the higher prices and until they get them they're just going to settle for lower volumes without cutting prices too much or putting huge rebates on the hood.

There is no wrong or right here - they could go either way. But I think the way they're going currently is setting them up for where they want to be in 3 years and cutting prices would go against that.

You're thinking now and Ford is thinking 5 years from now. Will it work? I think so but we'll have to wait and see.
  • carjimcarjim Posts: 155
    AKIRBY's question was ignored, but not by me.

I would definitely consider a Lincoln if it is rear wheel drive, or rear-biased all wheel drive. Because it is neither at present, it can never be on my shopping list. My spouse and I currently drive Infiniti vehicles because we love the handling.
    I fell in love with real Lincolns when they came out with those slab sided models back in 1961, I believe. What Ford did to the brand since is a travesty.
    Have they learned anything yet? After Ford trashed Jaguar attempting to make it a volume car with the X Type I am not holding my breath.
    There is hope because

1 - Ford is making money and can afford to splurge a little on a low volume vehicle
    2 - Ford has turned the engineers loose to make the best cars possible
    3 - Ford Australia has a nice RWD platform with V8 power readily available
    4 - Ford management is totally different than it's ever been
  • carjimcarjim Posts: 155
    Check out Autoblog today (September 8) and you will find a road test of the MKZ Hybrid. While not a rave review it is a positive analysis.
  • tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    edited October 2010
    Bought a new 2010 MKZ, (only 19 miles on it) but the car was manufactured back in October of 2009. There are several roads in my area that have been open a little more than 2 years now and they are not in the database (it's as if I'm driving through a wheat field!!). So if these roads are not in there, there are obviously more that are missing/revised and then I'm wondering how out of date the POIs are!! Asked the dealer if they would flash a current map and they said I would have to purchase one for $199.00 to get a newer version!! I couldn't believe it!!! I also have a 2007 Tahoe and GM provide me 2 updates for FREE on the first and second anniversary of my purchase date!! I've complained to both Ford Motor Company and the dealer, no luck so far. Dealer told me the update can only be used once and can't be used again. Sounds like a little BS to me... Anybody out there get their dealer to give them an update without cost?? I'm not even asking for a deal like GM had, just a current version that should have been in the car when I drove off the lot!!! Other than that, love the car...
  • dmphildmphil Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the procedure to turn on or activate daytime running lights on a lincoln zephyr purchased in the US, but will be required in Canada?
  • There are so many posts for the Zephyr that this question may have already been answered. If so, feel free to simply copy the link from the answer instead of retyping. Anyway, I'm in the market to buy new tires for my 2006 Zephyr. I guess I should 1st ask, should I buy them at 53K miles. Winter is coming soon, and I don't expect to own this car for another 50K, so this would be my 2nd and last set of tires. With regards to type of tires, my dealership quoted me $878 for 4 Michelin P225/50R17 tires. I don't know which specific Michelins are currently on my car, but I'm assuming I was quoted for the best and most expensive. They did offer a $60 rebate, but that's not much considering the total. I know there are other quality tires that are less expensive. Anyone have any good ideas on other brands? Bridgestone?
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    Just replaced at 42k om my 2008 MKZ. Could have gone another 10k, but why not replace them now prior to winter. Expect to trade in 12 to 24 months and would have to replace tires , so why not use them now?

Uniroyal Tiger Paws are about $40 less per tire the Michelin and are made by Michelin, basicaly same tire . Comes with excellent guarentee. I like the tires. Jerry
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,609
    You can check out tirerack.com for the tires that'll fit the Zephyr. I'm happy with Yokohama Avid H4s tires on my ES300, good ride and handling, decent price.
  • Thanx Jerry and Texases for your input. Good to have some options. I'll check out the website.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,609
    Anyone have too much bass with the THX system in their recent (mine is a 2011) MKZ? I turn down the bass all the way and it's still too much.
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    mine IS GOOD HOWEVER ,isn't there a setting for Rock, JAZZ, concert, if so try changing them it makes a big difference in the bass and treble.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    If you recently considered or bought a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ hybrid, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, February 4, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Where the hell are the tests of the soon-to-be released 2013 MKZ? Maybe they should call it a 2014?
    I gave up ... With all the hype you would expect the 2013 MKZ to hit the street no later than August. Suspect there must be some production and / or labor problems in Mexico. I traded my 2008 MKZ for a 2103 Lexus ES. I am gone from Lincoln for good...
    Production was always scheduled for October and it takes a few weeks to get production up and running and get the cars delivered.
    Yes, I know I can count on you for a response, but this time your answer seems to indicate that you do not know the answer. If production began in October, and this is now mid-November, you would think someone somewhere would have driven an example by now. Anyway, embargo or no, we ought to be seeing some press soon, or the model might as well become a 2014...as long as sales begin after January 1, that designation is allowed. Hey, wouldn't it be great if the delay was to add something to the design or equipment not announced so far?
    Ford has been using the same intro procedure for several years now so this isn't anything new. They start building new vehicles and hold them for inspection until the plant builds for 5 consecutive days without a flaw. Could be one week - could be 6 weeks. Depends. The point is it's open ended and even Ford doesn't know how long it will be before they start shipping. In conjunction with a launch like this they provide the press with vehicles to drive but they embargo the reports until closer to the vehicle actually arriving at dealers and to allow the monthly magazines a chance to get their report out around the same time as the online stuff.

I presume the Fusion delays have also had an impact on mkZ production but nobody has come out and said that yet.

No idea why the mkz debut was so late in the year but I suspect it was due to the Fusion launch as well - not wanting to do both at the same time.

Patience, grasshopper.
    Assume most manufactures have the same quality control policy procedures in place. But why all the hype so early in the year and on the net as well. Seems like they could have coordinated Fusion release if necessary. Love my Lexus ES and the dealership envionment. If MKZ is to save the Lincoln brand Ford should reconsider upgrading dealerships many of whom seem to more devoted to truck sales ... If I wanted to purchase an entry level luxury car would I go to a Ford dealership? If you are considering the Lincoln check out a Lexus dealership ... What a contrast!
    This was the scheduled release. It was always planned for October.

I'm not aware of other mfrs using an open ended ship date. I believe most if not all do pre builds and inspections but I don't think they have the 5 consecutive day requirement with no specific end date to start shipping. It does make it frustrating for people waiting for the vehicles to arrive but it also ensures the best possible quality once they do start shipping.

I guess you missed all the reports of the Lincoln dealership overhauls. They're targeting stand alone buildings with a luxury experience similar to Lexus. 80% of the Lincoln dealers are investing at least a million bucks to do that. But Rome wasn't built in a day - give them a couple of years to get there.
    Yes I did miss upgrade info. No evidence anything underway here in Western Massachusetts. Perhaps they put the cart before the horse. I any event I wish Ford well, I loved my MKZ.
    Not every dealer has signed up and only a few have already started the changes. They're taking it slow and getting the details and the plan right rather than rushing it. Hopefully it works.
    I will be ready to trade my SUV in about 2 years, if the upgrade is complete I will take a good look at what Lincoln has to offer, otherwise it won't be on my list ...
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,862
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121121/CARREVIEWS/121129978

It seems to beat the new ES350 at its own game, and with a lower price to boot. Seems very well received. The downsides are few: while bigger on the outside, interior space is several cubic feet less than the Fusion. The ES350 offers more space. And like other reviews of this engine, the 2.0 liter four at full song does not sound like luxury. However, the V6 is available for those who want it.
    Seems to be a solid entry that should compete well especially with the hybrid drivetrain. Won't challenge BMW or MB but should do nicely against Lexus, Acura, Infinit, Audi and Cadillac.
    Now compare that review with the 2013 ES350 which is also based on a cheaper mid-sized sedan and which doesn't seem to have any advantages over the MKZ except maybe the sound system.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-lexus-es350-first-drive-review

No double standard there. Nope.