Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Nissan Xterra

tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
edited March 22 in Nissan
Anyone have any new info or spy pics of the next-gen Xterra? I can't believe there's nothing out there!

Comments

• player4player4 Posts: 362
    The 2005 Nissan Xterra is going to make its World Debut at the 2004 New York Auto Show. Thats all I know.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    I'm glad to hear that's still on!
  • scotryanscotryan Posts: 4
    According to nissannews.com, info on the new Xterra will be posted after the press conference on 4/8 from 9:00am-9:30am on their website. Hopefully, Edmunds will pick it up as well...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    Thanks, scotryan - I've posted that information where our management can see it. Hopefully we'll get an update as well.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2fastdre2fastdre Posts: 59
    There are 2 official pictures and specs on the autoweek.com New York show page. We don't know what the back looks like, but the front and interior are clear. I think it looks good, although its a little too much like the new Pathfinder. There is an official statement that it will have the same 4.0 VQ V6 and that every dimension grows a few inches (Except the overall length)! The wheel base is stretched a couple of inches but the overall length is the same due to a shorter front overhang. It will come with a 5 speed electronic auto or 6 speed manual.

Regards,
    2FastDre.
  • 2FastDre, i think you're mistaken. I didn't see any 2005 Xterra pics on autoweek.com. Can you post the direct link? maybe you were looking at the land rover.

thanks
    casper7777
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    http://www.nissannews.com/

I like everything I see here except for two things: (1) It's using the rear axle/suspension from the '05 Frontier, and not the '05 Pathfinder, meaning solid axle and leaf springs; and (2) it's (still!) using a part-time 4WD.

On the plus side:

* Great evolutionary looks with the new Nissan truck face.

* Super engine and trannys from the '05 Frontier and Pathfinder.

My grade: B+ to A-

Bob
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    So basically a different exterior but the same interior with less luxuries than the Pathfinder? Cool. I like how they kept the original profile but evolutionized it to keep with the times. Another seller here!
  • btate2002btate2002 Posts: 64
    I had looked at the first XTerra twice to buy, but the interior really turned me off. I think they fixed my gripes with this new one. The exterior looks great. I'm glad they didn't depart from the original design too much. I'll have to take one of these for a test drive next summer....My list just keeps getting longer!
  • ropedartropedart Posts: 163
    The look is good but almost predictable DNA application of Nissan front truck grills. It looks the same. Why mess with success. The interior is bland as if to say "you want more bling let me show you the Pathfinder or Armada, and bring your second checkbook with you" the upsell is built into the truck lineup as intended. Why still the carpet? Why can't you take out the rear seats? Why no Aux in? Didn't anyone learn from the Honda Element? With a ladder frame they could have made the whole back end removeable like the Envoy to load big bikes. Good parttime 4WD offroad ability for those who spend 7 percent of their time in the dirt. Lots of power. I wonder what the fuel mileage is like.
    Put that front grill and roof rack on the X-Trail and you got a customer.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    Uh, oh! Another contender! I LOVE it! It's the perfect update to a great truck, keeping the essence of the 1st generation, but giving it the necessary upgrade it deserves. And check out the engine! Finally, the same powerful 6 that the Pathfinder gets!!!

Well, I've ruled out the '05 Grand Cherokee, after seeing the new pics. Now, the only problem is, do I get the 4Runner (with a 2" lift) or the Xterra, and are the '05 Pathfinder and '05 H3 still in the running? Hmmm...such a dilemma...
    the "Auto 4WD" mode from the new Pathfinder, as well as the '05 Pathfinder's IRS, it would be perfect.

Bob
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Seems like many of the comments here are of the genre "if it just had the Pathfinder's (fill in the blank)"

Then it would essentially be a Pathfinder, and how could Nissan justify selling strikingly similar vehicles with very different pricing?

Nissans renaissance is almost complete. If we could just get rid of the anachronistic (though still dynamically competent) Sentra... any word on this one?

Will anyone be in attendance at the NY Auto Show? I was thinking of heading up this Friday, and if theres going to be any edmunds.com guys/gals there, Id be happy to meet up.

Very impressed by this new XTerra, as I have been by the 2005 PF, Fronteir, and revised Altima.

~alpha
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Wouldn't git bit over a 4Runner, but this is more of what I had in mind when the 1st one came out. Not as plasticky, better engine, more room and safety.

I would guess it would take sales from Liberty and Sorento, not established trucks like 4Runner and Cherokee. It could approach 100k sales. Good job.

Like it better than the new pathfinder. Looks like a lunch pail!

DrFill
    Seems like many of the comments here are of the genre "if it just had the Pathfinder's (fill in the blank)"

Then it would essentially be a Pathfinder, and how could Nissan justify selling strikingly similar vehicles with very different pricing?

How do you figure that? The Pathfinder is larger, seats 7, and is much more luxurious? It's also aimed at a different audience. I see no overlap whatsoever.

Bob
    That's the Pathfinder's mission.

Bob
    Isnt THAT much larger, and in the SE trim- its a stretch calling it luxiourious. Build your own SE on nissandriven.com -its still typifies the "sport-utility" designation.

My point was that if Nissan used all of the exact same drivetrain and suspension components in the XTerra as are used in the PF, I feel this would cannobalize the lower trim PFs. Not everyone needs 7 seats, and it is yet to be seen how well Nissan differentiates the *new* PF and *new* XTerra in terms of demographic target and subsequent advertising.

(Nissan has strutted this road before- and new Maxima sales are consistently below prior years sales as well as expectations).

Bob, Im not saying youre wrong, Im just offering a different point of view.

~alpha
    Funny you should mention that model. Nissan just introduced an Altima SE-R that's been tweaked from a performance standpoint. It should most definitely cut into Maxima sales.

Back to the Pathfinder vs. Xterrra. I understand what you're saying, but I really doubt Xterra SE customers will (seriously) cross-shop the Pathfinder SE, and vice-versa. And even if they do, I bet the SE Xterra will have lower content than the SE Pathfinder.

Bob
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Thank goodness they didn't name it the Pathfinder Xterra like they did with the Pathfinder Armada - that was a stupid name. Armada would've been just fine.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Posts: 59
    The only reason why I bought my 2001 Pathfinder SE with a 3.5 VQ (I got it used) was because the Xterra was underpowered for the towing I wanted to do. With the new Xterra having the same awesome engine as the Pathfinder, I would and probably will go for the Xterra next time I am faced with a choice. But that's just me. There can be other differentiations between Xterra and Pathfinder that can separate the two: like DVD players, more or less legroom, etc.

However, I still think that the top line models should have a more powerful engine option to sufficiently separate from the lower lines. Like if the Maxima and the Pathfinder had a 4.5 V8 options. Then Nissan would really be in business.

2FastDre.
    Will anyone be in attendance at the NY Auto Show? I was thinking of heading up this Friday, and if theres going to be any edmunds.com guys/gals there, Id be happy to meet up.

Ah ha!!!

Juice sent me an e-mail yesterday mentioning your name. He and I were going to go together on Friday, but he's unable to make it. I'm still going, if you want to hook up. I'll be at the Subaru area around 1 or so. I'll be driving up from Maryland.

Bob
    Small world! I just checked your profile, and see you're from New Brunswick, NJ. Well I grew up in Highland Park!

Bob
  • 4x4buff4x4buff Posts: 12
    http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NStaticLoader_path-@ni- ssan@future@static@futureModels,00.html

Does 05 Xterra has rear diff lock in available off-road package ?
    Anybody been to NY show ?
    Along with Alpha01 and hypov (Subaru Crew). The vehicle looks great in the flesh!

Interesting... I picked up a teaser brochure on the new Xterra, and in it there is a small picture of the dash of an automatic version, and the 4WD switch does have an "Auto 4WD" mode like the '05 Pathfinder and Armada. Yet the vehicle on display, a 6-speed manual, did not have that Auto 4WD mode. The Nissan news web site is also a bit unclear about that. One sub-link there mentions Auto 4WD, yet another mentions part-time 4WD.

Bob
    I noted the same thing after looking through the teaser (which I thought was otherwise well conceived). I wonder if the Auto 4WD is for the automatics only, and perhaps only on upper trim models?

This Xterra was one of the models I was most impressed by at NYIAS. Would you agree?

~alpha
    And it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday! :)

You said you were going back with your dad. If so, check out the Camp Jeep display, which we missed earlier. It's in a separate building annex near the Dodge truck area, on the lower level. The new Grand Cherokee is there as well as the revised Liberty. It's a pretty neat display, with an off-road course. :)

I left the show around 6:30 PM yesterday, and didn't get home until 12:30 AM! Traffic on the NJ Turnpike was horrible in south Jersey, and right after the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-95 south was closed due to an accident, so they had to re-route traffic on to local roads!

Bob
    It was excellent to meet you as well, Im very sorry to hear about that ridiculous ride home. Hopefully it wont happen again next year!

I will make sure to check out the Jeep display, did they have any info on the new Diesels (named "CRD", I believe).

Im such a car nerd, I already sent in the business reply card for the XTerra!! (I know you can do it online, but I still like the snail mail, especially since the X was just debuted here at NYIAS).

best,
    ~alpha
    and there's a small flier on it too.

Bob
    I was just comparing pixs of the all-new Xterra, from the teaser brochure I picked up at the NY show, with pixs from the '04 model brochure.

In profile, when comparing the images side-by-side, there is a huge difference. The front axle has been move further forward, so that it's much closer to the bumper. The angle of approach on the '05 model is vastly better than that of the '04 model. Also, while the styling is very evolutionary, there is not one panel that's interchangeable with the old model. Everything is new. Even from the rear, where the change looks to be the least, there is nothing that is carried over from the old model.

Bob
    It seems like Nissan has most of the SUV markets covered extremely well with their new (and upcoming) products. However, there is one (perhaps two) glaring omissions that I would like to see addressed:

(1)
    I would love to see Nissan take the new Xterra, and make a shortened ultra-off roadster to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. Hmmm... Xterraster?

(2)
    They should bring over the X-Trail soft-roader to compete with the likes of the CRV, etc.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.