Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• vikdvikd Posts: 187
    ...the GTO is simply a watered down version of the Volvo C70. I appreciate that Pontiac did away with the cladding theme on the GTO, but they could have made the vehicle just a bit more striking in appearance as would befit the GTO badge. It is one heck of a "sleeper" though! Lots of folks getting fooled at the stop light drags I'll bet...

Still waiting to see a 300 on the street; saw one on the turntable at the auto show but that's it. Looking forward to see ing the Magnum in person as well.

Regards... Vikd
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    ...I'd get a GTO and put one of those little "E" Enterprise car rental decals on it and fool people into thinking it's a rental Grand Prix.
    ...I didn't go that far but I know what you mean...yaawwnnn...

Regards... Vikd
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,011
    has a son who works as a tech at a Chrysler dealership. He said that the 300's are in stock now. They only got a few of them though, and naturally, they're loaded to the gills. <sigh> Looks like it's gonna be the Pacifica/K-car/Volare all over again!
    that's a sick idea, but I kinda like it! It'd be a nice practical joke...maybe if one of my co-workers ever shows up with a GTO, I'll do it to them! ;-)
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    I dunno. That 300c (specifically the "c" version with the V8) intriques me. I might, in a year or two, get a new car and I'm mulling the idea of a big cruiser that might still be a little fun. The 300c is the only version of the 300 I'd be interested in. So I'm hoping they have a bunch of loaded c's in stock (ok minus the sunroof) in dark blue ;-)

Actually, I'd probably just order it from the factory.

it's weird, but there's something about the 300c that draws me too it. Can't quite figure it out. I'll have to go drive it to see if I might get one, or hate its size enough not to be tempted by it.
    the 300C intrigues me too! When I made a reference to the Volare/K-car/Pacifica though, what I meant was that they still seem to be repeating their old habits of only offering fully loaded-up models at first, which tends to hurt sales. They made that mistake with the Volare in '76, and almost botched the launch of the K-car by only offering loaded models to begin with, and did the same thing with the Pacifica.

I agree though, that the Hemi C is probably the only model I'd be interested in, but I'm also not ready to pay $30K+ for car yet! My Intrepid came out to about $22.3K out the door, and looking back, sometimes I wish I hadn't spent that much, and just got a used one instead.

With a 3.5, the 300 might not be TOO bad, but this car just screams out for the Hemi! And I think I have a rough idea of about how a 300 with the 2.7 will peform. Probably about the same as my Intrepid with 4 people on board and a trunk full of luggage. Umm, no thanks!
    oddly enough I had a talk with the wife over breakfast this morning about a...(ahem) hypothetical situation if I was to buy a new car in a year or so about how much she'd be comfortable with me spending. (Hey she runs the checkbook and does a hell of a lot better job than I can/did!). Specifically targeting the 300c optioned out the way I want (approx $35,000 MSRP). Well she didn't have a problem with that. So woo hoo.

Then she turned around and said "This isn't about that Chrysler you've been looking at is it!?!?! No! No way you're spending that much money on a Chrysler! A Chrysler?!?!?" She then proceded to rattle off a few "suggestions" as to what other cars I should look at in that price range ;-)

I'm going to look around at quite a wide range of cars, but I'm going to give the 300c a fair shake. I think she has a little issue with the Chrysler name though ;-)

*To be fair, she works for a law firm that handles bankruptcies for DaimlerChrysler, so I think she's also burnt out on the name.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I worked at JDRP for ten years, I don't regret my move from law firm slave to bartender one bit!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    ...turns out to be all that, I might consider one as a cost-effective alternative to a new STS. The only problem is, I'm happy with Cadillac and Cadillac service in general. I've only owned one Chrysler vehicle - a 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue - and it turned out to be one of the best I've ever owned. However, the one experience I had with Chrysler service was awful. I needed a new wheel lock wrench and the surly guy behind the counter gave me a response as if I just told him I slept with his wife. Fortunately, this dealer was bought out by somebody else so maybe things have changed.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,643
    Automobile sez the 300C comes with a 3.5 V6
    and is only 2.5 sec slower to 60 than the V8 which puts it in the mid 7s.

I'm anxious to see one of those.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

yeah, I just read my issue of Motortrend last nite, and in addition to the 300C with the Hemi, which gave 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, they also tested a Magnum wagon with the 3.5, and got 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.

I think that's actually pretty impressive, considering that with the 300M/LHS/Intrepid R/T, lighter cars using the same engine, 0-60 was more like 7.8-8 seconds or so. In the RWD Magnum and 300 though, the 3.5 uses the same 4-speed automatic as the Jeep Wrangler and the V-6 Dakota/Durango. Maybe the RWD tranny is just more effective at putting the power to the wheels? I've heard that with the FWD tranny, they designed it so that it doesn't make the most use of the engine's power...if they did it would shred it!

I think the 3.5 now also has a revised intake that gives it a broader torque curve, so that might help, too. The 3.5 (and 2.7 and 3.2) in the LH cars tended to be pretty "peaky" when it came to power.
    ...at the Chrysler dealership. It was the Limited with the 250 horse 3.5. I asked my salesman why it was sitting in the corner of the lot, he replied that it was sold within 3
    hours of it's arrival!

I really like the vehicle after having walked around it a few times. The doors were open and I was allowed to sit in it. The rear seat accomodations are more than adequate for even someone my size. The overall feel of the vehicle is muscular and purposeful. The salesmen milling around kept referring to it as the "Chrysler Bentley". This may be a turn off to some but I can appreciate the departure from the same old-same old that the vehicle represents. The interior is also very nice with most surfaces feeling of high quality and soft to the touch. The steering wheel has a thick solid feel to it along the lines of say, an M5 and the like.

This Limited stickered at around 33k with a 2995 adm tacked on.

Regards... Vikd
    looks like I might have to go 300 hunting this weekend. I don't plan on bagging anything on this little safari (I'll make sure to leave the checkbook at home, but hell, they take credit cards nowadays!), but I'd like to at least give the car a test-sit and if I'm lucky, a test drive!

• wimsey1wimsey1 Posts: 201
    Heres a thought for Chrysler, Give it a manual trans. and some suspension work and under cut the CTS-V with a special model. It's only a few ticks away on acceleration with the auto trans and I think AMG could make it handle even better than it does now.
    For all my snarling at the 300's styling I think it could turn out to be a winner for Chrysler. America likes BIG.
    ...I agree. Though it is far too early to make any predictions, the fact that the few 300's that have hit dealer lots are being snatched up so quick is a good start. My salesman at the Chry shop said that the only reason the Limited wasn't delivered yet is because they are waiting for premier night to do it "in style".

Regards... Vikd
    coming at me, but didn't get a good look cuz it was going in opposite direction, it was either
    a DB7 or a Vanquish.

It looked sleek, low and very fast with nothing boy-racer about it, just the way I like cars.

Amen! Looking at an Asotn is always a good experience.
    Just looked at a Chrysler 300 today (only had the base model which is not what I'm looking for). Since it wasn't the "C" version, I didn't bother driving it, but the car looks well put together and thought out. Salesman really turned me off though. Hopefully this was just a bad salesman, but wasn't a good start for Chrylser trying to change my image of them.

Looking forward to giving the 300c a whirl.
    but I sat in two 300's today. I hadn't planned on it originally...I was supposed to do some stuff around the house, but one of my buddies asked me if I wanted to ride with him to the dealer to buy a new headlight assembly for his '95 Grand Marquis.

I said what the hey, and rode with him out to the dealer in Annapolis. Well, I knew there was a Chrysler dealer nearby somewhere, so I said let's go see if we can find it, and see if they got the new 300's in.

It didn't take long to find the dealer, and as he pulled in, I spotted a silver one. What I did next kind of embarrassed my buddy, and I dunno if he's ever going to go car shopping with me again! I just pointed at it, and like a little kid, shouted "MINE!!"

My friend, who's a high school teacher, made some kind of comment about my juvenile behavior, but I was out the door before he even stopped the car! Just to get on his nerves, I think I even blurted out "MINE" a few more times!

Anyway, this one was just a base model, with the 2.7. I think it stickered for around $24,500. It was silver with kind of a charcoal-ish interior. The salesguy let me sit behind the wheel and try everything out. Finally, I was able to lay all my fears about legroom to rest. Previously I'd been a bit worried because the specs rate these cars at around 41.8", whereas the outgoing Intrepid/Concorde/300M are 42.2". Might not sound like a big deal, but I wish my 'Trep had more legroom! So I was afraid these things would simply be too small for me. Thankfully, this was not the case. I was able to get the seat into a position that was perfect for me. In fact, it was so far back that the steering wheel was out of my reach! And I have long arms, so that's really saying something!

It does have a tilt-telescope feature, but in base models it's activated by a clunky lever that feels like it could get stuck or break. The 300C has power controls. The tranny hump does take a pretty big bite out of the footwell area...much more than the older RWD Mopars like my '89 Gran Fury or '79 New Yorker, but it was still good enough for my needs. Also, they may say that "Cab Forward" is dead, but the base of this car's windshield was at least as far away from me as my Intrepid's.

Admittedly, the interior is a bit cheap. Lots of hard plastic. In comparison, my Intrepid, with cloth and carpeting inserts on the door panel almost seems like a luxury car in comparison. There's no carpeting on the door panels (although I think they also dropped that from the Intrepid in 2002), and the carpeting on the floor is a really cheap grade, probably about on par with what's in my roommate's '98 Tracker. The seats were also made out of this weird cloth that made me think of outdoor furniture, or maybe what would be in a Jeep.

In the back, with the front seat set to where I'm comfortable, I could fit back there, but truthfully I think my Intrepid is more comfortable. The center spot in the 300 is also almost unusable, at least to my way of thinking. The driveshaft hump isn't a problem. In fact, while the tranny hump up front seemed pretty big, in comparison to RWD Mopars of years gone by, the driveshaft hump in back was pretty small. But the center spot is still poorly padded, and feels like it's raised up a bit, and the pull-down armrest really digs into my back.

The trunk's rated at 15.6 cubic feet, and has the spare tire stored underneath, like most FWD cars...or a Dart! It's not bad, but down considerably from the Intrepid's 18.4 (the Concorde is 18.8). But the seatbacks do fold down, to improve versatility. And the hinges are the strut-mount type, so you don't have those "gooseneck" hinges to mess with your luggage. The battery's in the trunk too, in the well with the tire. Much easier to get to than the LH cars, where it's buried in front of the right-side front wheel well, under the air filter.

Under the hood, the 2.7 looks like it's a bit more serviceable than it does under the hood of my Intrepid. When my Intrepid needed new belts, I didn't even attempt to tackle it myself...it was such a tight squeeze that I knew I'd end up with bruised knuckles and a bad attitude, and probably end up sending it to the repair shop anyway. With the 300 though, I might actually have the guts to tackle that job! Changing the oil might be a pain, though. I couldn't find the oil filter, but if it's in the same place that it is on my '00 Intrepid, then on this car, it looks like there's a big plastic cover you have to take off of the bottom of the car. It was most likely put there to improve aerodynamics.

While I was looking at this silver base model, the other 300 they had, a Magnesium 300C Hemi, came back from the test drive. It was pretty well loaded, with a sunroof. Nicer carpet...better than a Tracker, and about on par with my Intrepid. More chrome accents and the fake tortoise shell (I love reptiles though, so if it was made of the real thing I'd boycott it!), and leather really dressed up the interior.

I've been able to find a lot of nitpicks with the 300, but dammit, I want one!!

Oh yeah, they also had some Pacificas, and I finally got to sit behind the wheel of one, and adjust the seat to where I'm comfortable. At the auto show, they yank the battery cables, so you can't adjust the power seats. I was able to get comfortable in it. I kinda like 'em, but all of a sudden, I do have a lusting for a 300C! The Magnesium example they had, though, stickered for about $35,000. They are currently offering a $1000 rebate for current Mopar owners, but I think I'm going to wait for the 0.9% financing +4,000 cash back! ;-) Or just wait till they start hitting the used car market. I learned, first-hand, with my Intrepid how fast a new car can depreciate. I dunno if I want to go through that again!

But still, the only thing that's going through my mind is "MINE!!"
    Did you ask them if they'd have a New Yorker version done up for you with cushy, button-pillow red velour seats and a vinyl roof? ;-)
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    Just saw the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox at the Chevrolet Dealer and it was silver with the 17" wheels, it looked real nice, i saw one too at the Local Auto Show in my area and the car is very nice but the front is a little akward. Also saw the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible on the road.
  • JPhamJPham Posts: 148
    A Skyline from the rear ... looks exactly like a G35.
    almost forgot, they did have a PT Cruiser 'vert on the showroom floor at that Chrysler dealer I stopped off at on Saturday. Nobody was paying attention to it though, because of the 300's, I guess!

They also had a Viper, for only $80K, and a Crossfire.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    Tonight I saw my first Cadillac XLR on the road. The roads were wet because of the downpours we've had all day, and it was dark, but I could still tell that it was an XLR. Between the darkness, the wet roads and dark color of the car, the scene looked like something straight out of an advertisement. The car really stood out, with the taillights looking especially distinctive.
    Local Pontiac dealer has had a GTO on the floor for a few weeks now.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Came across a Chrysler Crossfire in a school parking lot today. Interesting looking beast. Certainly stood out from the vehicles around it. Haven't quite made my mind up about liking the looks or not... perhaps I'll see it in motion one of these days!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

...I wasn't impressed. It's awkward looking from behind, certainly not on a par with the other 3ers in looks.

• I saw TWO silver 300's within minutes of each other in Laurelton, Queens on Thursday. The driver's were both woman and I thought it was the same woman at first!

Driving behind it on the parkway... I felt like I was driving behind a car... you know a REAL car like from the day?