Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,804
    First tunable Toyota in what, 25 years?

One prototype Lexus based on an old model with no definite signs of production isn't enough to change things just yet.

But hey, they are trying.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The point is Lexus has had success with the IS-F and LF-A yet you still refuse to acknowledge them.

Perception lags behind reality. 5 years or so is the amount of time for people to come around.

I imagine you'll take a lot longer. :P
    25? Supra, MR2, Celica, all came within that time frame.
    I suppose the IS-F wasn't rejected anyway, although maybe not a runaway success in the market, especially globally. Zhe Ghermans aren't really scared.

IS-F came out for MY 2008, I think. So we are there.
    edited November 2012
    Who tuned a new MR2 or a Celica in maybe the past 20 years then? They became older peoples cars.

I'll give Supra as an exception, but mostly as a used car - too expensive for 99% to modify when new.
    We are there and Lexus seems poised to announce a new division...probably not a coincidence.
    edited November 2012
    MR2 and old people's car? :confuse:

Supra was produced til 98 I think so that's a 10 year gap.

Through your German-engineered glasses that's 25 years. LOL
    The 2002+ or whatever, yes. Seemed to go to middle aged and above men, while its competition motorcycle engine S2000 sold to younger.
    2002 saw the SMT introduced so I won't even argue that point. It ruined that car.

At least the engine was used in the Lotus Elise, that car I started eyeballing at that point.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,202
    I've seen some pictures of the next Toyota RAV 4 from the LA Auto show. It's nice that it dropped the backward hearse gate in the rear, but from the front it looks like someone punched it in the snot locker.
    Spy shots have been zoomed up too close.

Looks better in these shots:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/2013-toyota-rav4-la-2012/

Anyone else think the shnooz looks better on the Auris/RAV4 vs. the Camry/Avalon?
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Just catching up, funny to see that a few of you were the euro midwest recently. I was in Switzerland again for 3 weeks; my company is based there so I go a few times a year. Noteworthy sighting this time was the new CLS shooting brake thing, in white. Looks nice, not practical, and the local going rate is CHF 125000. The swiss don't finance cars, BTW.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

That was me. I saw several shooting brakes in suburban Stuttgart, and an AMG in the fancy showroom attached to the MB Museum.

What I noticed in dirty money respitory/tax avoider paradise (but so clean and orderly and easy to get around) Zurich was Astons - I think I saw multiples of every model, some of them parked amusingly. Lots of high end Porsches too. No worries about ~$8/gallon gas.
    Reminds me of a Mazda from the side.

Almost anything looks better than the front end of the Avalon. This new Toyota corporate face loses something on bigger cars.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,826

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Zurich is not a low tax Canton. At all.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

I see a bit of Escape, but then again when the Escape came out I saw a freshened RAV4.
    Compared to Zug?

Money doesn't rush in because of the scenery.
    edited November 2012
    I see Mitsu in the front profile. The car looks alright, but it's not really grabbing me - but maybe that's just Toyota styling philosophy. I'm sure it will sell better with the more conventional tailgate set up though. The inside seems much improved.
    Saw a new ES today, driver was a 20-something looking male.

But...car had the factory adhesives all over it, and driver was wearing a dealer uniform. So, the car was just out being fueled or tested. Still, probably one of the youngest ever to drive a new ES - even if the ads show drivers not much older :shades:
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Actually we are... this is an article about the JPN model coming here. It looked similar but with what I could tell, it had better lines.

link title

Odie
    Lift gate is a big improvement over the wrong-way door that blocked the curb and need too much space to open all the way.

Toyota should make a power liftgate standard just to emphasize how much easier the new one will be in daily use.

The 2GR V6 is gone, sadly. :(
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,853
    Toyota should get rid of those gated shifters. I automatically turn my nose up at any vehicle with those.
    Shuttle Hybrid costs about $5k less than the Toyota Prius V in Japan

Sounds good. Unfortunately the C Max is way below my expectations for real-world MPG, so nice to have more options in that class.

Would also like to see a Mazda5 SkyActiv (gas or diesel).
    How 'bout a manual? Better yet, a V6 manual?

Works for the Lotus Evora. :D
    In a nice granite metallic color, very sharp.

I gotta say, the Audi style LED lights look better on a squared off car like this one than they do even on Audis.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,826
    Unfortunately the C Max is way below my expectations for real-world MPG

My wife noticed a bunch of reports like that doing a net search on the C-Max last night. She was especially bummed that some reviewer couldn't get better mileage even using hypermiling techniques.

So the bank account will be solvent for a while longer - thank you Ford. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    Hyundai Sorrento and a Mercedes M-Class in a collision at Oxford Avenue and Tyson in NE Philly.
    Spotted on CR's test track:

Honda seemed to address their primary gripes.
    edited November 2012
    Lemko, Who won?