Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Ugh I'm a style type person so a car's looks are somewhat important. I just think the new Matrix is ugly with squared off and round lines erverywhere, no real theme or specific style to it. And the Prius C is even uglier in my opinion. Just an oddball car. I know for most people it's a reliable appliance but I just think they're gross. :lemon:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    It's what's inside that counts. :)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    Expanding on the Crosstour a little further, I've read lots of comments about how the TSX wagon is a much smarter buy than the Crosstour. I'm not so sure. Bear in mind that the TSX Tech and the Crosstour EXL 4wd are within about $1k of each other and both have Navi:

TSX pros-
    More overall cargo volume
    Slightly better over all mileage (22/30)
    Better warranty
    Likely sportier handling (haven't driven one)
    Real roof rails (hey, I'm a skier)
    Lighter

TSX cons-
    4cyl/5AT combo only - 200hp
    Rear shock tower housing eats up a lot of cargo space
    Fwd only

Crosstour pros-
    V6 is meatier and comes with the new 6AT- 278hp and actual torque
    AWD
    New 13 Accord tech like hondalink & apps, blind spot camera, forward collision and lane departure warning integrated in crosstour / not avail on TSX
    More rear legroom

Crosstour cons-
    Less MPG (19/28 for V6 AWD)
    Less warranty
    Less total cargo volume
    NO roof rails
    Heavier

To me, a loss of 2mpg would be worth the extra power, torque and awd. And actually, I think the power/MPG ratio is pretty respectable on the xtour. The overall cargo volume is less obviously due to the sloping back, but given that the length and width of the cargo area are pretty similar, I don't know if most people would be losing a lot in the real world.

The other competitors here I suppose are the Outback and Venza: Outback is more practical, better awd system, similar price in LTD H6 form, but has a cheaper interior quality, less power and mpg, and less interior tech. The Venza has the power and space, but also has a cheaper interior quality, less MPG and forces you into those stupid 19 and 20" wheels.

Anyhow, I guess I'm saying I'm not seeing the worldwide Crosstour hate. Your mileage may vary...
  • Couldn't have said it better myself.........and when comparing 2012 vs 2013 Crosstours, its like comparing 2012 vs 2013 Accords.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think Honda missed the boat in the last 10 years of not offering a Civic sized hatchback (Insight and Fit doesn't count)

I'd test drive one if they had it.

Fit's gas tank is puny, otherwise I'd at least consider it. 10.6 gallons vs the Mazda3's 14.5 gallon tank. The Mazda will go a lot farther per tankful.
    I like the Prius C. It's supposed to be an oddball. They should all come in that traffic cone orange color.

They put the battery under the rear seats and that squeezes fuel capacity, thus limiting range.

Good city car, anyway.
    edited February 2013
    Rear shock tower housing eats up a lot of cargo space

Isn't that the case with the Crosstour also?

I measured the width of the cargo area and it's very weak in that area, in fact the Outback was a full *foot* wider there.

You expect an inch or two, sure, but a foot?
  • Those shock towers are a problem IF you need the space.If you do , you won't get a Crosstour. They don't bother me ( I have 3 trucks if I need to haul much)
    but wouldn't do for some. I think of my CT as a large 4WD hatchback sedan.........a fairly unique design that suits me, but apparently not too many others.
    I like the CT but the kids will veto it due to the small back seat.

People don't realize it's not a Prius clone, it's actually a lot smaller.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,758
    I like the CT but the kids will veto it due to the small back seat.

When they add value to the equation, then they get a vote.
    Well, I won't let them choose what car I get, but I do take the family along to see how they like it.

Did I tell you, they liked the Prius V (back seat roomy, reclines, awesome panoramic moonroof) and the Jeep Wrangler TWO door (cool factor). I can't think of two cars that are more opposite.

Plus both are too big and not really city cars, not at all what I'm looking for.
    10 gallons, ha, that's a smaller tank than my 04 Echo hatchback daily driver. :surprise:

CT200h...these too spendy for your search? I like the look of them; see them around here, but not as much as the A3.

Sidenote: Audi says they are killing the A3 hatch for slow sales in the US. If true, the ones they do sell must be mostly to the bay area...I see them everywhere. There are 4 on my street alone.
    A ton of them in Vancouver as well. I wonder if the A3 will be pulled here too.

Sidenote: Audi says they are killing the A3 hatch for slow sales in the US.

True - the A3 sedan will be the new base for Audi.

Remember, Americans like their luxury models - even the entry level ones - to have a trunk. There will be an A3 wagon but not for us.
    Remember, Americans like their luxury models - even the entry level ones - to have a trunk.

Except in SF, apparently. The rest of the US sees the bay area as communist, anyhow. And they're probably right when it comes to Berkeley.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,563
    Plenty of A3s around Seattle, too. Even diesels.
    Except in SF, apparently. The rest of the US sees the bay area as communist, anyhow. And they're probably right when it comes to Berkeley.

Well we here in Boston are a pretty deep shade of blue as well.....
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    Speaking of blue, how come it's tough to find a nice blue these days unlike a few decades back? Most every blue car I see is either dark ink blue, or light silver blue. How about a nice medium blue with a ivory, beige or saddle interior?
    I love the "quartz blue" offered on C and E class from 2010-2012. Sadly, it's gone now :sick:

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,174
    edited February 2013
    I saw that exact combo a few weeks ago. That color looks fantastic on the E.
    There's what I can afford, and what I want to spend...about $20k or so.

I'm a cheap skate, but I'll stretch the budget if I find a strong value. I'm considering recent used cars as well.

Will share more in CCB.
    If I could find a bluetec with a light interior, pano, P2, I'd be very tempted to go for it. It's pretty rare even for gas - kind of a Florida color. Goes well with my old car.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,595
    edited February 2013
    I saw my first Caddy XTS outside of a car show today, it was the same metallic red that shows up in their ads. Nice looking car but too big IMO for a FWD sedan
    (AWD is optional).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• berriberri Posts: 4,157
    That's what I'm talking about! There are really very few nice looking blues today and when you find one, it is often on a luxury car. That wasn't the case a few decades ago. GM in particular had a lot of very nice blue hues back then. Why not today?
    I saw one on the road about a month ago. Agree with you it's an odd duck to be FWD in such a large car. The Deville/DTS it replaced, which was also fwd had better proportions.

Just look at Acura and their dismal sales of the RL, partially because it's a bland FWD based V6 "premium luxury sedan"

And MB dropped it. I think they still have a dark blue (no thanks, hard to maintain), and a silver that kind of has a blue tint to it. But that quartz blue was cool, like a modern version of my fintail.

There is a color called "universe blue" offered on the upcoming CLA that might have potential.

On the car front, saw a new Accord today, in traffic behind a 96-97 Accord. Reminiscent of a new Accord with a Crosstour behind it, my how they have grown.

Also had a current style A4 in front of me in traffic today, it was smoking like an 80s MB diesel (not a plume, but definite emissions off the line). I wonder what was wrong.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,595
    BMW used to have a gazillion shades of blue, my '00 5er is Steel Blue (Stahl Blau)
    which used to be on about every third Bimmer.

They also had LeMans Blue, Topaz Blue, Estoril Blue, Laguna Seca Blue, Montego Blue Avus Blue, Fjord Blue and many more. Sadly they now only offer Deep Sea Blue (dark blue) or Water Blue (light blue) for most models. Like everyone else they now offer four shades of grey or silver, black, white and red.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Why not today?

According to one article I found:

White, black and silver are "tech" colors - those colors are sleek and modern.

Boredom - since people keep their cars longers, that flashy teal might be nice today but not so much in 7 years.

Resale - who's going to want to buy that orange car you had to have 6 years ago?

Vibrant colors do better in Asia while the basics listed above are popular in North America and Europe even more.
    It's made the palette so dull, though. There are hardly any colors out there.

I wouldn't mind a red or yellow car next time, if it's the right model for a flashy color. I'm kind of tired of blues.