Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,197

Spotted a white Chevrolet SS in a driveway near the SE corner of Palmetto and Stanwood in NE Philly.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,603
    edited August 3

Ok, I'll need some help here. 2 days ago, we were driving through Death Valley and happened upon an interesting sight. A tent was set up on the side of the road with 4 vehicles: 2 camouflaged Benz cars along with a Chevy SUV and Benz SUV support vehicles. We pulled a quick u-turn and pulled into their camping spot to say Hi. The one man who spoke had a German accent of course. I didn't want to put them on the spot and ask about the vehicles and we didn't get out of the car.

Anyway, one was fairly heavy disguised but I can only think it was an SLR. Are they coming out with a new one soon? The other was more lightly camouflaged but I'm still not sure what it was only because it was partly blocked by the other vehicles. It was big, but they just intro'd a new S class. I then thought maybe a new CLS? Any other ideas?

Then about another 15 mins down the road, we saw a 3rd going the opposite direction back to camp. This was heavily masked but the shape was obviously X6-like, so the upcoming Benz competitor. Needless to say, this was all a very cool experience for me personally.

Funny enough, we got to Furnace Creek in the middle of the Valley and there at the gas station were 3 more disguised vehicles filling up. These, however, we're not Mercedes. Based on some of the cues, I thought Chevy, but then thought I could make out a Toyota symbol under the tape on one of the wheels. Before I ever mentioned my first thoughts of Chevy, the wife said she believed she saw a Chevy logo under tape, so I think we'll go with that. These seemed to be all the same car and pretty much the same car and about Cruze size. Now, they are working on the 2016 Cruze, but what is a bit odd is that the ones we saw were far more disguised than the spy photos Car and Driver already published. Doesn't look like the same car.

hopefully this link works

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,968

That looks like the next Volt.

edited August 3

Hmmm...interesting suggestion. Not sure how/why they'd be testing that in Death Valley, but you never know.

Edit: just checked and I think you nailed it. Looks like the C&D spy photos they say is the Volt.

edited August 3

M-class coupe
    GT AMG

I gues those are what they are being called for now. Still not sure on other car. Thought S coupe but I see now that has been revealed. Could it have been the C63? I dunno. Seemed bigger but maybe cause it was next to the sportscar.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,179

Yup it's official, MB is going for the BMW and Audi "sausages of different lengths" design ideal.

@qbrozen said: or maybe this next E

@qbrozen said: Hmmm...interesting suggestion. Not sure how/why they'd be testing that in Death Valley, but you never know.

Edit: just checked and I think you nailed it. Looks like the C&D spy photos they say is the Volt.

It needs to have the AC and cooling systems tested just like any other car and of course the cooling system for the batteries.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,427

last year we spent a night at a hotel on the outskirts of Columbia, SC. in the parking lot, was a fleet of disguised cars (I think on trailers at that point? but under wraps). I was going to pump the desk guy for info or go peek, but my wife gave the stare of death. In the AM, they were gone before we went down for breakfast.

I suppose they could have been one of those touring caravans where the dealers bring in competitors to drive. At this point, my mind is mushy so I can't swear they had cammo on!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,923

@stickguy. There were probably BMW's. Their plant is not far from Columbia, maybe Spartanburg?

Saw a new Genesis today, parked at the dealer. Looks good, parallel universe Audi (previous model, a parallel universe E60 BMW).

@explorerx4 said: stickguy. There were probably BMW's. Their plant is not far from Columbia, maybe Spartanburg?

They make "trucks" in Spartenburg (and have their test track there), though that is about 2 hours away.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

oops

@robr2 said: It needs to have the AC and cooling systems tested just like any other car and of course the cooling system for the batteries.

Not sure they do that for all cars since the Escape we rented did not fare too well. For a good stretch, we had to turn off the AC as the temp gauge started pushing its way north, then even had to turn on the heat inside the cabin (while it was 120 outside) to help keep the engine safe. I was pretty worried a couple of times.

@qbrozen said: Not sure they do that for all cars since the Escape we rented did not fare too well. For a good stretch, we had to turn off the AC as the temp gauge started pushing its way north, then even had to turn on the heat inside the cabin (while it was 120 outside) to help keep the engine safe. I was pretty worried a couple of times.

Oh c'mon q - you're smarter than that. Your focus group of 1 doesn't apply to an entire product line. All HVAC systems are tested to withstand extremes. I'm guessing the Escape you had may have had a problem with the AC.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,702

Golf wagon? Today in downtown traffic I passed what appeared to be a VW Jetta Sportwagon but in place of the "Jetta" lettering in the rear it said "Golf" and it wore the "TDI" designator on the right as well. I've read that Volkswagen is planning to introduce an AWD version of the sport wagon to be badged as a Golf (as they are everywhere but North America). I looked on the VOA website and could find no evidence of such a vehicle in the current lineup

The car I saw looked otherwise identical to the current wagon but I didn't get a good look at the front.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

@andys120 said: Golf wagon? Today in downtown traffic I passed what appeared to be a VW Jetta Sportwagon but in place of the "Jetta" lettering in the rear it said "Golf" and it wore the "TDI" designator on the right as well. I've read that Volkswagen is planning to introduce an AWD version of the sport wagon to be badged as a Golf (as they are everywhere but North America). I looked on the VOA website and could find no evidence of such a vehicle in the current lineup

The car I saw looked otherwise identical to the current wagon but I didn't get a good look at the front.

The 2015 Sportwagon is being marketed as a Golf and not a Jetta but is not expected until after the new year.

If it was the current Sportwagon, it's possible some "enthusiast" changed out the nameplate so he could be "oh so Euro."

Someone in my building just got a new Mazda 3, kind of a dark metallic red.

edited August 6

rob, my comment was tongue in cheek. Just pointing out I'm not terribly happy with the performance of the new Escape.

But, seriously, how many people are driving a Volt through Death Valley? Just seems silly to me.

@qbrozen said: rob, my comment was tongue in cheek. Just pointing out I'm not terribly happy with the performance of the new Escape.

But, seriously, how many people are driving a Volt through Death Valley? Just seems silly to me.

Got it on the Escape.

How often is anyone driving anything through Death Valley? Tongue in cheek as well. Death Valley is used because it's a naturally hot area - it's cheaper than building a climate controlled test track.

Saw a Kia K9 today, dealer plates so likely not a rental.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,197

Spotted a silver Tesla at Magee and Bingham in NE Philly.

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 371

New Sonata at the National rental agency in Knoxville, TN. I opted for the Mazda6 as I hadn't driven one of those yet.

Saw a Tesla today - not unusual at all here, but this one was being lifted onto a flatbed tow truck.

Also saw a new Sonata, rental with QR stickers, likely National or Alamo, I think.

New C-class is on the MBUSA site, and I know of someone in Houston who has posted pics of one at his local dealer. I might go annoy the local dealership about the car tomorrow.

Stopped by the local dealer, lo and behold, their W205 demo arrived yesterday. Moderately equipped C300 with a "5" VIN and a 50K sticker.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,264

@andys120 said: Golf wagon? Today in downtown traffic I passed what appeared to be a VW Jetta Sportwagon but in place of the "Jetta" lettering in the rear it said "Golf" and it wore the "TDI" designator on the right as well. I've read that Volkswagen is planning to introduce an AWD version of the sport wagon to be badged as a Golf (as they are everywhere but North America). I looked on the VOA website and could find no evidence of such a vehicle in the current lineup

Up here in the Great White North, VW Canada re-badged that model as a Golf Wagon a couple of years ago, no more Jetta wagon which is what it started as. Probably a visitor from up here.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

the new US version I think is due out around the end of this year. New Golf though is on the ground.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,669

Saw a new Sonata - meh...it's gone from being my favorite for a clean (if boring) design two generations ago, to a flashy/over-styled design last generation, to a Fusion knock-off with a crude/too-large grille that's a cross between the Ford's and Audi's. Wonder how it will do.

Saw a new Genesis today, which is now an XL Sonata. Looks like the pretentiously-named-by-deliriously-overpaid-exec-types "fluidic sculpture" is going out without a peep.