Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited November 2012
    When your argument loses on merit, best to go childish in your attacks.

I'm surprised to resisting using the word "soul".
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,496
    AMG was an independent company slowly absorbed, that chose to to tune mainly (but not exclusively) MB products. The Lexus tuning group is simply a branch set up in a place where performance tuning of cars is perfected to a greater level than in the homeland. Apples to oranges.

When such a car can be bought at my local dealer, let me know. Until then, prototype.
    What merit was lost? Put up or shut up. I am not the only one to scrutinize the "different for the sake of being different" front end that the bland L has adopted.

And another red herring distraction, nice.
    I wonder what kind of frankencar could be made out of a toy hauling minivan. The low step up is key, SUVs and soft roaders won't work. Put something else under the hood too, might be amusing.
    Your criticism, not mine, specifically said:

The one developed by a German tuning division, as the existing people couldn't get it done?

Ironically that applies better to AMG.
    I prefer to evaluate a machine based on merit, like lap times, not some vague and subjective measures like "soul".

You say you will accept it once they're available for sale but that's not true, then you'll whine about cost or sales volume or some other excuse not to accept cars that earned their keep.
    I wonder what kind of frankencar could be made out of a toy hauling minivan

Renault F1 Espace, but it was just a concept.
    edited November 2012
    But maybe not, as MB wasn't even trying to tune its own passenger/road cars before AMG rolled around, and never tried to compete with any independent tuners - unlike Toyota (does anyone even care to want to tune a Toyota?). I guess F-sport wasn't good enough for this LS, send it off to Germany to be done properly.
    edited November 2012
    Who used "soul"? It's a quote, right? It's the name of a Kia, strangely enough. Fun distraction, bad tactic.

Lap times are only worth so much, as well - lots of variables there. A few seconds here and there can also often be a driver issue.

Once they are available, do you have info lacked by everyone else?

"Earned their keep" - once you can leave the US and see one on the street, maybe. Until then, a barge that makes a base LS/A8/7er look downright exhilarating, and appeals mostly to bland Americans who think those cars are just a bit too edgy thank you, now where is my vanilla ice milk and tax break? :shades:

Espace would be a good hauler, not as big as a normal minivan. Once again Europe gets the useful stuff, we get CUVs.
    FT86 was just named the tuner's choice at SEMA.

The island of Japan is too narrow for a twin turbo V8. Hit the gas going east or west and you'll hit water. :D
    First tunable Toyota in what, 25 years?

One prototype Lexus based on an old model with no definite signs of production isn't enough to change things just yet.

But hey, they are trying.
    The point is Lexus has had success with the IS-F and LF-A yet you still refuse to acknowledge them.

Perception lags behind reality. 5 years or so is the amount of time for people to come around.

I imagine you'll take a lot longer. :P
    25? Supra, MR2, Celica, all came within that time frame.
    I suppose the IS-F wasn't rejected anyway, although maybe not a runaway success in the market, especially globally. Zhe Ghermans aren't really scared.

IS-F came out for MY 2008, I think. So we are there.
    edited November 2012
    Who tuned a new MR2 or a Celica in maybe the past 20 years then? They became older peoples cars.

I'll give Supra as an exception, but mostly as a used car - too expensive for 99% to modify when new.
    We are there and Lexus seems poised to announce a new division...probably not a coincidence.
    edited November 2012
    MR2 and old people's car? :confuse:

Supra was produced til 98 I think so that's a 10 year gap.

Through your German-engineered glasses that's 25 years. LOL
    The 2002+ or whatever, yes. Seemed to go to middle aged and above men, while its competition motorcycle engine S2000 sold to younger.
    2002 saw the SMT introduced so I won't even argue that point. It ruined that car.

At least the engine was used in the Lotus Elise, that car I started eyeballing at that point.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,138
    I've seen some pictures of the next Toyota RAV 4 from the LA Auto show. It's nice that it dropped the backward hearse gate in the rear, but from the front it looks like someone punched it in the snot locker.