Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,271
    Yes indeed, my 380SE is all done depreciating. It's even relatively cheap to license at this point. I do keep getting gentle reminders that the California DMV offers rewards to people who junk older cars, but that ain't going to happen.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    My car probably hit its depreciation floor around the time I was born. Of course, it hasn't appreciated much - but that's not the point. And with year of manufacture plates and classic insurance, those costs are nothing.

Cash for Clunkers claimed numerous W126, I just hope they were heaps.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    Both of you guys need to not worry about anything being silly. It's about what you like when it comes to hobbies and fun, not a cost benefit analysis. If a time comes to part with it, your gut will know. So just enjoy what you have now and keep us all posted on your experiences. Trust me, when you get into my age range you get a much broader understanding and appreciation of what really matters in life!
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,271
    Cash for Clunkers claimed numerous W126, I just hope they were heaps.

When a car was turned in under the Cash for Clunkers program they put a silica concoction into the crankcase and ran the engine until it seized. I wouldn't do something that messed up to the worst of cars, much less a Mercedes, and much much less my Mercedes.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

I like to think the old MB claimed in that experiment were at least stripped of useful parts and went on to keep other cars going. But knowing the feds...
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Knowing the feds, it was probably a pristine W126 that would put cars in the Concours d'Elegance to shame. Good God, killing a car like that is like euthanizing a beloved and perfectly healthy pet. I've had bad dreams about something happening to my 1989 Cadillac Brougham and waking up with tears in my eyes. Deliberately murdering a beautiful car with that concoction would probably give me a heart attack.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nah, remember the incentives weren't that big. Would have to be less than the (perceived) value of the car.
    edited January 2013
    I think the credit would be like $3500 or $4500. Those values for the guzzlers that would have qualified would keep out the best cars - although maybe some fairly decent ones would have been included, esp if trade in values were used. It's a shame to lose old quality material like that, but at the same time, those turning in the cars probably hadn't cared for them in a long time, and deferred maintenance can easily exceed the value of the car. I still see plenty on the road, anyway - so not all was lost.
    Killed a lot of donor/parts cars.
    I was thinking there was a period when parts could be harvested before sent to scrap. So maybe the good stuff got saved anyway.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,942
    When we were thinking about clunking our minivan, I was ready to rip out the radio and some other interior bits. From what I recall, mostly the trade-in had to make it onto the lot under its own power.
    Hope so, it is that odd piece of trim that'll keep you from finishing a restoration.
    edited January 2013
    Luckily only a lunatic would restore a W124 or W126, and there are MB hoarder/parters out there who keep things. For some of the less upscale cars that were clunked, maybe not so much - but I doubt anyone will be hunting down a piece of trim for a 92 Exploder.

For new cars, saw a rental Altima.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,159
    edited January 2013
    A truck load of new Mazda 6's. All different trim levels, the loaded ones with either 18's or 19's really look good. Might be the best looking midsize in the segment.

Also a few new ES350's with the Predator Grill, nice looking car otherwise.

The new (updated) Subaru Outback seems to be doing well, I've seen quite a few of them (Only giveaway that they are new is the new Blocky Foglight surrounds harkening back to the original Outback.

S60 T6 in what Volvo calls "Rebel Blue". This one was an R-design with Gun-metal rims, and lower valences around the rear exhaust tips. The nose on those is a bit too long, but otherwise a great looking car.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...deep blue Cadillac SRX spotted at Bleigh and Oxford Avenue in NE Philly and a white Cadillac XTS in the parking lot at work.
    Now why does a mid size sedan need 19s?

Overkill all the way. Think of the unsprung weight and all the extra work the brakes do to stop all that rotational inertia. I bet you could shave half a second off the 0-60 time if 16s fit on there.

Not to mention tire costs.

Sorry, end rant.
    edited January 2013
    Not to mention ride quality, either. Unless it is a leviathan old Bentley or has some amazing air suspension system, a modern car can't wear the sidewalls on a 19" wheel to make it ride acceptably - especially for a middle of the road sedan.

Speaking of new, on the 10th, Lexus announced via facebook that it would release something related to the IS Sportcross in "6 days". Today is the 24th, nothing.
    Yeah, a large car or SUV with some sidewall could handle it, but this is going to have those rubber bands for tires.

Lexus pulled off an elaborate joke to fool you specifically. ;)
  • 19" wheels come on Toyota Venzas, Tiguan SEL, etc, etc... You can't get away from them...

Poor suckers buy Venzas and Highlanders, and can't understand why they are so bad in the snow... It's ridonkulous..

A friend of mine bought a used Mazda CX-9.. had to have the Grand Touring for all the toys, but the standard wheel on that trim line is 20"!! Sucks to be him when he has to replace those $350 tires...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I think Murano has 20s.

Style over substance.