Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    and a CLA with aftermarket wheels, that was quick

Well since they probably leased the car they might be doing rent to own on the rims.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    I don't know if the highline lease crowd is the same as the rent-a-rim crowd, at least in my part of the country. Even a lease on one of these is probably going to be too dear for that demographic. They might be cheap Chinese wheels of debatable metallurgic quality, however.
    edited October 2013
    I don't know if the highline lease crowd is the same as the rent-a-rim crowd, at least in my part of the country.

It's a CLA not a CLS.

The driver is probably a $30K millionaire living in his parent's basement financing $15 martinis on his Green Card.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    Did a walk around on a 2014 Impala this AM. I dunno..nothing earth-shattering here...it sort of says to me: "Oh, GM finally gets it and is making cars that look like they were built in 2014".

edited October 2013
    And a 35K car (as most will be) is still above average, and out of reach for the majority of buyers. At that level it is really no different than the classic base C/3er/A4/IS/G etc that has been a lease favorite for eons. It just has more flash.

You still need good credit and some cash flow to lease - not as easy for youngsters as it once was. Unless mom and dad sign for it or something.
    edited October 2013
    Compared to the previous one, which was a mediocre at best 2006 car still being made in 2013, it's a leap forward.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,413
    yeah, it does look up to date. I didn't drive it, though, because the salesman was hovering over me like a yellowjacket on a piece of chicken. Very annoying. The man was hun-GRY.

The cars change, the tactics don't. In an area like SF, I have to imagine such a car is a slow seller, so anyone showing interest will be pounced upon.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    Just read a consumer review today where the dealer "lost" the customer's car keys.

And yet, after a five hour ordeal, the customer still purchased a car from them. Just makes me shake my head. That trick must be as old as me.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    That's why you always bring a spare set of keys.
    You still need good credit and some cash flow to lease - not as easy for youngsters as it once was. Unless mom and dad sign for it or something.

One doesn't need that much cash flow to be approved for a $349 lease - especially if they are living at home.

I know you are partial to MB and probably dislike the idea of MB reaching out to the bourgeois.

:)
    edited October 2013
    You'll also need a few grand up front, some kind of income, and good credit. In this devolved economy, those all exclude a lot of people.

It's nothing new, I do find it funny that someone is trying to denigrate the car or its customer base when it is a segment that has existed since boomers started weaseling their way up and ran to 3ers and 190s 30 years ago.

:P
    I can believe it. And that gets me too - dealer treats you like crap, and you buy from them anyway? WTH?
    It's nothing new, I do find it funny that someone is trying to denigrate the car or its customer base when it is a segment that has existed since boomers started weaseling their way up and ran to 3ers and 190s 30 years ago.

I just had to with your remark about the "highline lease customer base." You and I both know that the CLA is being offered in order to bring less affluent buyers into the brand. There's nothing highline about the CLA, S3, forthcoming 1 series and IS250.

Now those 3's and 190's from 30 years ago - those were highline.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    That's why you always bring a spare set of keys.

Have you priced replacement keys and fobs lately?

What you bring is your cell phone, and then you call the cops. You might be talking grand theft in some states. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Nothing highline about a base C/A4/3er/IS, etc either. This is nothing new, and real world pricing will be the same as an existing base C. MB is desperate for the illusion of youth, and this will do the trick. Seeing as the car has been a virtual sellout so far, it looks like the plan is working as intended.

Those basic cars in the olden day boomer yuppie era had vinyl seats, no toys, no real higher spec than the modern cars and no better image other than maybe that the brands were less common then.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's a big, cushy ride, with a smooth engine. I think you need to drive it to appreciate it, perhaps even on a long trip.
  • ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    What you bring is your cell phone, and then you call the cops. You might be talking grand theft in some states.

Nah, not necessary. I stand in the middle of the showroom floor, and let rip in my loudest voice:

I WANT MY CAR KEYS. NOW

Take a very deep breath, let the words come out from your diaphragm. Deep, solid, loud, reverberating from the rafters. Repeat every 10 or 15 seconds until the car keys are in your hand.

Pay absolutely no attention to anyone trying to tell you, "Please calm down, we're looking for them." Go for deep and booming, not shrill.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    Sounds like a Toyota. So when do the domestic fans start referring it as an "appliance"?

Bet it never happens once.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well if you want a sports sedan you get an ATS or CTS. The Impala doesn't pretend to be anything but a competent full sized car.