Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Canada

loonieloonie Posts: 18
Hi,
Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes but I thought with a lot of us Canadians on this board that we could have our own forum. This way we can talk about our buying experience from a Cdn viewpoint as well as any issues specific to Canada and sightings of other Mazda 3's and general chit-chat.

Comments

• loonieloonie Posts: 18
    Well yesterday (Sat, April 04), I walked into my Mazda dealership just expecting to test drive the 3 and to see what deals they are offering. To make a long story short, I walked out the proud owner of a new Mazda 3 GT Sport in Sunset Orange with auto, AC, & Moonroof.
    I have posted here before and was deciding between the Mitsu Ralliart and the 3 and some of the replies I got help me choose the 3.
    Anyways, just to give some more details of my buying experience, the guy I dealt with was fairly nice. I asked right away that I wanted to test drive and he quickly got us a car to drive. When we went to negotiate I think it was to our advantage that we weren't planning on buying it today. Our initial offer I think was fairly low ($23,000) so we upped our buying price ($23,185). He went to see his manager and came back with a counter offer ($23,685). We said, "we'll think about it" and got ready to leave, thats when he said "how about $23,290?" Since our threshold was $23,300, this was doable(sp?) and waited for the manager to approve. Guess they were scared of us leaving and we had a deal. By the way, the price is before all taxes, freight and pdi.
    The other good thing was our car was on it's way here and I could pick it up this wednesday the earliest. So, if anyone sees a sunset orange driving around Markham and Scarborough thats me.
    By the way, I think I can mention the dealership I bought from, it was Markham Mazda.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Congrats! I like to test drive the one I'm going to buy and going to drive daily instead the demo.
  • ianehianeh Posts: 2
    Just put a deposit down yesterday and there was no talk with the salesperson about undercoating/rust protection?

A few questions.

Does anyone know the cost that Mazda and Ziebart charge to do each of these? I live in the Vancouver area.

Are both of these highly recommended to do with a new car?

If I were to do only one or the other, which is more important?

Thanks!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Consumer Report does not recommend them. This just help dealer to make more money. Car manufacturers have standard rust-through warranty.
    Mazda does have a rustproofing package/insurance. Not sure how good it is but it sounded good but I did not get it.
    Basically it's supposed to be a new way of providing rust protection. This protection must be inspected every two years. If somehow the car still ends up getting rust, the insurance will pay for the value of the car. Not sure how it will really qualify for insurance but I'm sure there's a lot of small print. The cost for this is $695.
  • dhmcdhmc Posts: 6
    There is a good article about rust proofing in Canada where we have to deal with high salt environment:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=11
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Other than the models and equipment being a little different, there's not that much specific to Canada about the Mazda3. You think we don't have salt on the roas here in the US?

Maybe there should be a "Mazda3 USA" topic.
  • ianehianeh Posts: 2
    The original post asked about undercoating/rust proofing and the costs of this in the Vancouver area.

Is your point that I should not have posted this in the Canada area, or there should be no Canada area?
    I think having such specific topics in the Mazda3 boards is not necessary.
    Or maybe we should have a topic for "Mazda3 undercoating/rust proofing and the costs of this in the Vancouver area". ;)

Seriously though, in answer to your question, no, I don't think there should be a separate "Mazda3 Canada" topic. I just don't see that there is that much unique to the Mazda3 (or buying it) in Canada to warrant this. Sure, the models and prices are slightly different (isn't that something we are talking about?), and Canadians are probably interested in undercoating than somebody in Arizona (but not Minnesota, New York, etc.), but I think it's counter-productive overall.

Otherwise you could argue for a separate topic just for those people that live in hot, humid areas (i.e. Houston or Miami) and are having problems with their AC.

Just my $.02 (or maybe $.03 in Canada)
    As I said, did not mean to step on anyone's toes but with quite a few of us Canadians on this board felt that we could discuss some of our issues in a familiar environment. Rather then sifting through a lot of messages to find something pertaining to Canadians (ie, we don't have navigation systems, we don't have models "i" and "s", cdn currency, etc).
    I remember reading a few posts where our American couterpart keeps thinking we're paying too much for our cars.
    Anyways, sorry again, did not mean to snub you.
  • Although I've seen a number of posts about CDN pricing, I haven't seen any posts about people leasing a Mazda 3 in the Montreal area and what type of lease payments they're getting.

I've managed to negotiate a local dealer down to $345/month (taxes in) for a Mazda 3 GT with GFX (basically everything except leather)no money down, but a $4000 multiple Security deposit, bringing the lease rate down to 4.4%.

Any feedback appreciated.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I kind of liked the input that was coming from Canadian owners -

From the world political perspective it seems like Canada and the USA have been at odds - I saw where a 15 year old American girl participating in some school event (by carrying the USA flag) was met with boos - same thing last year during some little league hockey game. Kind of sad that we can't get along better - maybe the Mazda3 could improve relations! At least it is something we can both agree on.

BTW - I have been to Canada at least a dozen times between 1988-1995 and always felt welcome.

I see no need for all the different topics - I read them all anyway - but it would be easier if they were under three topics - The buying experience / price paid deserves its own - one combined topic for Mazda3 VS all the other second rate cars and one general MAZDA3 topic.
    I agree. I'm not sure what value having such a narrowly-focused topic is. Is it so the Canadian buyers don't have to bother reading posts from folks in the US, or is it so US people don't need to bother with the Canada-only topics? Personally, I like to hear what's happening on both sides of the border. Hey, wasn't there a guy in Guatemala who bought a Mazda6 hanging around here for a while? Maybe he could have his own "Mazda6 - Guatemala" topic. That would be a hoot.
    I did not know Americans were so sensitive. All I wanted was for us Canadians a place to discuss our Mazda 3. Maybe some of us wants to hang out. Get a Mazda 3 club going. Maybe there's a particular dealership one of us finds worthy of attention. I wasn't trying to shut you guys out just wanted an easier place to discuss Cdn related issues.
    Not sensitive and no offense taken, just don't see that the value of it outweighs the effort required.
    Like always, just my $0.02 ($0.0262730 in Canada). ;)
  • jandd1jandd1 Posts: 35
    in Quebec was recently invited back to - I believe Nova Scotia where all her expenses were paid and there was a formal apology to her and her family. I suppose that wasn't reported - didn't make the 'is it sensational?' cut on CNN or CNBC or whatever.

I remember when that happened and it was at the height of the insurrection into Iraq...some idiots decided to express their disapproval towards the war by taking it out on the US contigent at whatever tournament their kids were participating in.

We were shamelessly booed at a hockey tourney in Granby, Quebec in 1995 at the height of the separation referendum...for being English Canadians...c'est la vie!

Having a Canadian only from is really unnecesary, however if Loonie want to start continue this thread and others want to participate then that is their perogative...or right, or something like that ;-).
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    "Hey, wasn't there a guy in Guatemala who bought a Mazda6 hanging around here for a while? Maybe he could have his own "Mazda6 - Guatemala" topic. That would be a hoot."

Yes, his name is Barry and he's an expatriot of Canada who worked in North Carolina 40 years and retired to Guatemala, now wishes he had retired here. He drives a Mazda Protegé5.

What's wrong with an Canadian forum? With their own they don't have to convert metric and Canadian dollars and can use their terminology and slang terms. We can read it or leave it. I, personally, enjoy it. Canadians should not have to share a forum with US buyers as if they aren't a country.

fowler3
    Well, this is interesting. All I wanted was some Canadians to discuss about their issues and experiences that other Canadians could relate. Instead, we have a little debate about patriotism and a cry to be united. If I had paid a little more attention during my Sociology classes I swear this was in one of my chapters.
    Anyways, as I said before, this wasn't a big deal. I figured if Canadians wanted to use this forum, so be it. If the Americans didn't like it, don't read it. It's like tv, don't like what you're watching, change the channel. If it's too much effort for someone to post here or to read here then they won't do it. No need to remind us how much work it takes. We're just as lazy as the next person.
    Anyways, I really don't want to continue arguing about the validity of a Canadian channel. I'm sure we've scared off anyone who wanted to post here in the first place. However, if they want to they are welcomed to. Hopefully, we can coexist and maybe one day we can all get together at Tim Horton's.
    Just my $0.02 ($0.0137 in US)
  • jandd1jandd1 Posts: 35
    Is an Insane coffee shop found on most corner/ in most cities/towns/villages/hamlets/crossroads in Canada - but moreso in the east.

The coffee is priced relatively cheap and is really good.

I say insane because they put something in their coffee that makes people (addicts) look for a location despite passing 2 other perfectly good other brand coffee shops along the way.

There are major crosscroads where there is a Tim Hortons on 3/4 corners. They have infiltrated Esso (imperial Oil) and are often attached to their convenience shop and most have a drive through. It is joked that owning a Tims is a licence to print money.

They are currently having an annual 2 month contest where you roll up the rim to win 1 of $28 million worth prizes. Sadly - Yes it makes me buy more coffee.

They have now nearly 200 stores in the US as far south as Kentucky and West Virginia.

Their parking lots are notorious for being a car lovers hangout, and is often the nexus from where drag races are set up in the summer months.

Tim Horton who open the first store in the 70s was a tough as nails Hockey player who played for the Maple Leafs and died not long after opening the first one.

Being invited for coffee at Tims is an honour ;).