Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Canada

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Good discussion in that the 3 being either #1 or at worst #3 in sales in Canada so far this year, this is an important car for us.

Discussing Canadian prices and options is more relevant than talking about how the local dealer in Arkansas has 50+ on their lot whereas local dealers here have less choice and are not giving them away - which in itself is unpsetting to read about 0% financing and $500 loyalty rebates and $500 or so grad rebates in the US :)

I'm done now :)

Dinu
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    having a discussion about the Mazda3 in Canada. Are there issues that Canadian buyers of this vehicle face that are a bit different than US buyers?

Make yourself at home - and if you want an owner's club for the Mazda 3 Canada - just let Karen or I know and we'll set one up for you.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Nice call!
  • 3owner3owner Posts: 29
    Does anyone know what slam locks are?
    It's listed in the features of the Mazda 3. Does that mean if I slam the door hard enough it will lock automatically?
    Fuel Consumption
    On my last fill up I got 620 KM's on 50 litres. 60/40 in favour of Highway driving. Just passed 7,000 KM's overall.
    If we are gonna have a Canadian forum, we had better use it wisely. I for one was a bit surprised that one was created, but if we use it for discussing prices, features, mileage (kilomeage)and not try to justify its existence, then we Canadians and the forum will be better served. IMO ;0)
    You can hit the locks in the "closed" position (ie: slam them) and the door locks???

No clue really :)

620kms out of 50L is impressive if you have the AT and go above 110km/h or so! Do you have the 2.0 or 2.3 and is it MT or AT? I usually get 8.5L/100kms on trips with the 2.0+A/T in the Protege. I drive at about 125-130 km/h...

Dinu
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Are slam locks only on the Canadian models? Why wouldn't they put them on for the US too?
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Posts: 166
    620 kms on 50 litres, that's awesome!!!! My 1.6L Protege only gets about 500kms on 50 litres these days.
    http://www.vangadgets.co.uk/index.html?security_door_locks_for_co- mmercial_vehicles.htm

For Rear Door or Tailgate door - Door is locked automatically when you slam the door, so you don't have to worry about whether you lock the door or not. Good for delivery car.
  • carjobcarjob Posts: 7
    I have a 2.3 liter auto Sedan and I get about 500km per tank - or at least until I fill up again.
    Funny thing, I notice that the low-on-fuel light comes on when there's still about 10 liters left in the tank. I know this because when I fill up I can only put about 45 liters in and the manual says the tank is 55 liters big.
    Anyone else notice this? To me it seems that 10 liters out of 55 isn't really "low" on fuel. It's really only just below %20 of a full tank. I can still get about another 80km out of a low tank. I guess they want to give you plenty of time to find a gas station.
  • 3owner3owner Posts: 29
    Dinu, I have the 2.0 AT Mazda 3. I have been VERY impressed with the consumption of fuel. I usually drive at least 120KM on the highways ... but I frequently get caught in bumper to bumper traffic.
    Thank you bigdadi118, I'm gonna give it a try and see if its working. With the keyless locks its a little overkill, but I guess it could be useful in certain conditions.
    Carjob, I to notice that around 45 L the light comes on ... I drived and worried about running out, and when I filled up it topped out at 50 L so I really had another 50 KM's to go ... but its better to fill up with gas in the tank than with none at all ;o)
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I hoped you or Karen would see this forum and make it official. ;)

For one thing, having a Canadian forum helps people in the states to become more familiar with metric values bringing us closer to the rest of the world. And it's a way to travel abroad without leaving home, although, Toronto is only 1 1/2 hours away by Air Canada from North Carolina. May make a weekend trip there some time.

Now, on with the show!

fowler3
  • jandd1jandd1 Posts: 35
    I have the 2.3 with a 5 speed and I too noticed that the light comes on way early. My last tank came on at 460 odd kms and I continued to drive it to 540km and when I filled up I still only got to 52.3 litres.

Why is this important - because in Toronto you've got prices fluctuating from .64 cents a litre to .77 cents a litre in the span of 24 hours.

And personally I'm so pissed at the collusion on prices that I'll push the car to the gas station rather than pay an extra 6.50 to 7.00 dollars per tank because my timing was off...although I would rather not!
  • loonieloonie Posts: 18
    Well, it's official. I am picking up my brand spanking new 3 wednesday night. I can finally get rid of my Dodge and finally move into imports. Do you guys recommend using a higher grade gas then regular, at least for the first few fillups? I hate paying 0.80 a litre just for regular as it is but if it helps the car, although today I think gas was 0.65.
    Also, can anyone recommend a company that will tint car windows in Markham or Scarborough?
  • loonieloonie Posts: 18
    Appreciate your support.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    If you use higher than recommended it does nothing, and can hurt the engine since it has addatives not required. Use regular unleaded.

Just drive moderately for the first 1000km, no fast starts, no hard braking and don't drive at a steady speeds for long periods of time. Vary your speeds and keep the rpm below 3000.

fowler3
  • lavaorange3lavaorange3 Posts: 128
    I have the 2.3L with the five speed. I've run 6600 miles so far, approximately 15 tanks with premium, 5 tanks with regular and now two tanks with premium again. Say what you will, but seat of the pants tells me the car revs smoother and quicker, and displays more immediate torque using the premium. It tends to hesitate on regular. So while this is a topic of much discussion, at least for this car, I say run a few tanks of each, and judge for yourself. My butt tells me premium brings out the potential of the motor better...
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    From what I have read using premium does not improve performance in an engine designed to burn regular unleaded. This assumes of course that the engine is running properly -

The myth is higher octane = more power - that is not really true - it depends on the engine design - if your engine was designed with a higher compression ratio (say 10.8 to 1) then premium fuel gives more power - because it was designed to use higher octane.

This is just an engineering fact - the seat of the pants test is just wishful thinking.

The final proof came a few years back when some of the gas companies (Chevron and Exxon I think) were advertising premium gas in a way that lead the consumer to think it was "better for your car" and gave you more power. The FCC requested proof of these claims - the gas companies could not give any proof that higher octane was better for you car. FCC made them pull the ads off the air.

If their was any benefit at all - even a 1% improvement don't you think the gas companies would know about it and be using it to get people to buy more expensive - higher profit margin premium fuel?
    FX Auto

11 Heritage Road in Markham
    Call for an appointment: (905) 471-7555

Make sure to get the Premier film. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for the HB and $225 for the sedan, including taxes. Ask what is the price of the Toronto Protege Club only after negotiating yourself. If it's cheaper, go that way.

http://www.fxauto.com/

Dinu

PS: Mine is as new and the film has a lifetime warranty. These guys are pretty good IMO.
    87 all the way! Don't waste cash for no reason - especially with our prices than go from $0.67 to $0.80 in a matter of hours.

Dinu
    Just a friendly reminder ... The rule here is you CAN'T POST 'Person's Name' and/or 'Phone No.' Name of shop and address is OK.
    Please check link at top of page "Rule Of The Road"