Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Canada

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I hoped you or Karen would see this forum and make it official. ;)

For one thing, having a Canadian forum helps people in the states to become more familiar with metric values bringing us closer to the rest of the world. And it's a way to travel abroad without leaving home, although, Toronto is only 1 1/2 hours away by Air Canada from North Carolina. May make a weekend trip there some time.

Now, on with the show!

fowler3
  • jandd1jandd1 Posts: 35
    I have the 2.3 with a 5 speed and I too noticed that the light comes on way early. My last tank came on at 460 odd kms and I continued to drive it to 540km and when I filled up I still only got to 52.3 litres.

Why is this important - because in Toronto you've got prices fluctuating from .64 cents a litre to .77 cents a litre in the span of 24 hours.

And personally I'm so pissed at the collusion on prices that I'll push the car to the gas station rather than pay an extra 6.50 to 7.00 dollars per tank because my timing was off...although I would rather not!
  • loonieloonie Posts: 18
    Well, it's official. I am picking up my brand spanking new 3 wednesday night. I can finally get rid of my Dodge and finally move into imports. Do you guys recommend using a higher grade gas then regular, at least for the first few fillups? I hate paying 0.80 a litre just for regular as it is but if it helps the car, although today I think gas was 0.65.
    Also, can anyone recommend a company that will tint car windows in Markham or Scarborough?
    Appreciate your support.
    If you use higher than recommended it does nothing, and can hurt the engine since it has addatives not required. Use regular unleaded.

Just drive moderately for the first 1000km, no fast starts, no hard braking and don't drive at a steady speeds for long periods of time. Vary your speeds and keep the rpm below 3000.

fowler3
  • lavaorange3lavaorange3 Posts: 128
    I have the 2.3L with the five speed. I've run 6600 miles so far, approximately 15 tanks with premium, 5 tanks with regular and now two tanks with premium again. Say what you will, but seat of the pants tells me the car revs smoother and quicker, and displays more immediate torque using the premium. It tends to hesitate on regular. So while this is a topic of much discussion, at least for this car, I say run a few tanks of each, and judge for yourself. My butt tells me premium brings out the potential of the motor better...
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    From what I have read using premium does not improve performance in an engine designed to burn regular unleaded. This assumes of course that the engine is running properly -

The myth is higher octane = more power - that is not really true - it depends on the engine design - if your engine was designed with a higher compression ratio (say 10.8 to 1) then premium fuel gives more power - because it was designed to use higher octane.

This is just an engineering fact - the seat of the pants test is just wishful thinking.

The final proof came a few years back when some of the gas companies (Chevron and Exxon I think) were advertising premium gas in a way that lead the consumer to think it was "better for your car" and gave you more power. The FCC requested proof of these claims - the gas companies could not give any proof that higher octane was better for you car. FCC made them pull the ads off the air.

If their was any benefit at all - even a 1% improvement don't you think the gas companies would know about it and be using it to get people to buy more expensive - higher profit margin premium fuel?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    FX Auto

11 Heritage Road in Markham
    Call for an appointment: (905) 471-7555

Make sure to get the Premier film. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for the HB and $225 for the sedan, including taxes. Ask what is the price of the Toronto Protege Club only after negotiating yourself. If it's cheaper, go that way.

http://www.fxauto.com/

Dinu

PS: Mine is as new and the film has a lifetime warranty. These guys are pretty good IMO.
    87 all the way! Don't waste cash for no reason - especially with our prices than go from $0.67 to $0.80 in a matter of hours.

Dinu
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Just a friendly reminder ... The rule here is you CAN'T POST 'Person's Name' and/or 'Phone No.' Name of shop and address is OK.
    Please check link at top of page "Rule Of The Road"
    Little new to the tint world but is the price for tinting negotiable? And, is the price you quoted for 5 windows? Do you think a HB would look good with only the 3 rear windows tinted?
    Last question, what is the Toronto Protege Club and would they ask proof that I am in it?
    By the way, how long does it take for them to tint windows? Do I have to leave my car overnight?
  • 3owner3owner Posts: 29
    On the way into work this morning the ESSO was charging 62.9 a Litre, not bad, so I decided to fill up. The bonus ... they had run out of Regular and Mid-level, so they had to supply the Premium for 62.9. This has happened to me a several occasions and I must say ... I love it. I really feel that I'm screwing them over, especially when its usually the other way around.
    On a side note .... my airbag light went on again. Replaced it in January, and it appears that the fix was with the old sensor. I'll be back in the shop in the next day or so to get it fixed ... sigh ...
    PS) Seeing more and more 3's in the GTA, we gotta start some sort of a club or recognition system. Like putting a stupid foam cowboy ball on our antennas from Canadian Tire ... heehee .... now I was just kidding on that example.
    I certainly hope you were joking about the foam cowboy ball. Everytime I see one of them I want to rip it off.
    Anyways, I think it would be cool to meet once in awhile with all our Mazda 3s. That would be quite a sight.
    ...first of all, if you haven't driven the Mazda3 with different grades of gas, then you don't have a basis upon which to comment...and is often the case in life, it's best to experience something yourself rather than rely on the opinions of those who perhaps are guessing. I'm not saying premium makes the car run better. I am saying after 22 tanks that premium makes the car run best. If any of you want to run regular, that's cool. All I'm saying is try a tank or two or premium and judge for yourself. Too much hand-holding, paranoia and mindless economizing on this board...by people who don't own the car.
    Tint: They should not charge more than $25 more for the HB. I recommend you do ALL the windows save the windshield - obvious (I think). As I said before I would look for Premium/Premier film and pay $225 for the sedan or $250 for the HB. Some have gotten it cheaper. As for the Protege Club, they don't ask for a reference. Just tell them someone with a Protege refered them to you and he (like most members of that club) got his tints done there.

Dos and Don'ts: I know the rules, trust me. Over the years I received my fair share of Pat-O-Grams :) I've been posting here for about 2.5-3 years now. Now I mainly read and post answers to local questions as there is another Mazda3 forum I participate in.

The tel# is listed on the website under contact us. I am allowed to list the site since it's not a competing site to Edmunds, just a service provider (of tints). Also,. it's not a car dealer but an aftermarket supplier :)

Dinu

PS: As a note to everyone here, it would be helpful to have an email address to write you at with more info (such as contact #s, etc IF Edmunds decides that my previous post was unnacceptable).
    I put 89 with 67.X at Dufferin/Steeles and even here in Scarboro (Morningside/Sheppard) gas is cheap :)

61 to 63 cents at all stations along Finch and/or Steeles from Morningside to Keele - went to York U. today and returned on the 401.

Dinu
    Any word on it? Are they bringing it back? Because with the quietness of the 3 that wouldn't be a good thing.

Dinu
    This is just an engineering fact - the seat of the pants test is just wishful thinking.

You are right, as in it runs better after it's been washed. Ever notice that? ;)

If the manual says regular unleaded use it. Try other brands, that can make a difference too.

fowler3
    The manual says regular or higher grade.
    I tested out the Slam locks .... it didn't work. I was standing out there slamming the door for a bit but the doors never locked. Don't think I could slam it any harder either! Could Slam locks be something else, like if you have something caught in the door ie) leg/finger it automatically senses this and stops closing. WOW, what a safety feature ... LOL ... I'll keep fooling around until I discover why its so important to be listed as a feature of the car. Its not available on the base unless you get the CP package. Standard on the GS and GT. Any ideas??

I find my 3 drives much better after a good cleaning too fowler3 ;o)

Hey Dinu, Morningside is a great locale for getting good priced gas. The Petro at Ellesmere and the Sunoco at Military Trail are usually really good, the best place I've found though is a Shell on 9th line in Markham.
  • jandd1jandd1 Posts: 35
    go to http://www.torontogasprices.com - make sure you get the latest results.

I decided that every time I find real cheap gas (can you believe we're calling 60 cents 'real cheap' ) I buy a lotto ticket with the savings.
    Did you mention the Shell at 9th line in Markham? Are you one of the crazy guys who will line up for hours to get at probably the cheapest price in Toronto for gas? I live north of there and I see lineups everyday for that place. It's crazy. For ownly 0.03 cents more on Markham and 14th at Sunoco or Canadian Tires you don't have to wait in line and they have a lot more pumps.
    Saw at McCowan and Middlefield at the PetroCanada 0.58 and that gas station is known to gauge(sp?) customers. So, I'm sure it's a lot cheaper elsewhere but under 0.60? Wow, haven't seen prices like that since the Blue Jays won the World Series.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    First of all I have used premium gas in a vehicle designed for regular 87 octane. I was trying to improve the 1/4 mile performance of my car - I had run the 1/4 dozens of times with 87 octane - I tried a few tanks with premium expecting an improvement - guess what - no improvement! I just assumed that octane must be good - so more octane must be better. I did not understand that octane is actually a measure of how much compression a fuel can withstand before it burns. High octane fuel is needed in high compression engines to prevent the fuel from igniting during the compression stroke. That would be preignition which is bad - you can tell this because your engine will knock under load.

But even if I had no experience with using premium in an engine designed for regular - I would still accept the opinion of petroleum and automotive engineers - but maybe they are all wrong - the lavaorange3 seat of the pants test must be correct! You should publish an article in popular mechanic!
    I spent the first few week-ends in March cleaning the rims really well. Religiously scrubbing them down and using rim cleaner. I think it has really paid off. There is significant brake dust accumulated that if left untouched will cause some real discolouration and corrosion. The past 2 weeks I've noticed that there has been very little dust. I think after about 6,000 KM's you'll notice a significant decrease in the dust. My suggestion .... don't do nothing, a little scrubbing will go along way.
    No I'm not crazy like that loonie. I never line up for gas thats more than a car deep. I figure the waiting time and the idling eliminates any savings ... especially when across the street its a cent more and no cars are lined up. I don't get it, average fill up between 40-45 litres your only saving 40-45 cents yet people will line up for 10-15 minutes to get it. It may be for principal, but saving time is more important to me.
    So if no foam cowboy ... then what? LOL
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Your post was fine...I actually clicked on the link and the number was available from that site (we had someone posting a phone number once to his ex-wife's house...kind of put the rule in place).

Anyway - post away - and thank you for the resource!
  • gandrigogandrigo Posts: 87
    I finished cleaning the 3 and noticed that the side sills in front of the rear wheels are all chipped as others have noted on this forum. When I put the summer wheels back on 2 weeks ago it was nowhere near as bad leading me to believe the goodyears throw alot more debris than my snows. I am wondering if other Canadian owners, specifically in the Ottawa area are seing the same damage. Is this specific to my car/colour (3 hatch titanium), or do we all suffer from it? This issue might be more quickly addressed by Mazda if we approach it as a group. I plan on getting the area fixed and then covered with some form of paint protection, but would obviously prefer not having to pay for damage that should not be there. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
    Again, you're not listening closely. I'm saying it runs better on premium than regular. Not necessarily faster. Just better. Smoother, less hesitation. Maybe the 5 tanks of regular I got from five different stations was lousy...or maybe I got the one car that is programmed to run better on premium, like the MZ3's in Australia. Their compression ratio is also 9.7:1 like the U.S. models. And if I write an article, I'll write it for Popular Sarcasm, or maybe Car & Idiot. Meantime, I'll drive my car, and ya'll drive yours.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    My car also can tell the diff. of regular and medium grade gas. She is smiling, smoother.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I think the only way to resolve this is to have a "blind test", where somebody else fills up your car with the different fuel grades and then you try to figure out which fill-up is which grade. ;)