Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• hihomikehihomike Posts: 111
    Why not go a few steps further? A high-voltage electrical charge would eminate from your car to the car whose door hits your car, singing the paint on the culprit's vehicle. Or, pehaps a special sliding door (like your gas cap door) would open and spray gooey, sticky stuff all over the culprit's car. Or, your car could be equipped with a series of still cameras and Video Cameras and would flash a multitude of shots of the culprit, the car, the tag number, etc., as evidence for small claims court.

Quite frankly and honestly, we don't have a hope or a prayer of keeping our new luxury vehicles dingless and scratch-free so long as we park in shopping malls, shopping centers, etc. And what about those SOB's who purposely key your car because they are jealous over the fact that you can drive a new MB, Bimmer, or Lexus and they can't?

So...I just drive it, pray it won't happen, and when it does, I just get "sick!"
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    There already is a company that manufactures products for people like us.
    The company is Roche and they manufacture Valium! ;)
    How about all coupes and sedans having sliding doors like vans?
    But there is no defense against being "keyed" by the jealously insane.
    Unless a metal alloy can be blended that is both ding-proof and scratch-proof.
    This will only happen if some genius metallurgist has his/her LPS dinged and keyed.
    I hope I live to see such an innovation.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    "I agree...Never, never, never park next to a two-door/coupe."

I once parked inbetween a CL600 and what appeared to be a just-off-the-lot 645Ci. Both 2-door coupes. No problems :) Change them to say, a Celica and a Mustang, and yeah, bad idea.
    I just read some interesting specs on the new M5 scheduled to be available this fall. 500 horsepower, and for just a mere $80,000+ with options. The only add to the body that I noticed from the pictures I saw was an air intake/outlet just above the front wheel wells. Special colors, as well, for interior and exterior. I must admit, if I thought a new BMW M5 would give me "gobs" more of what I bought my 06 530i for, I'd buy it. But for a car that looks the same for just the horsepower and performance, I don't think so.

I noticed it will be equipped with two sets of tires - front and rear, so rotating tires would not be an option on the vehicle. But if I had one, I'd probably run the tires through the tread before I could rotate them anyway.

Definitely going to make the headlines for performance and handling, but where I live on the southeast coast of Florida, unless it came with pontoons, exceeding 75 mph on any roads down here would be like committing suicide. And I now worry about dings and my car being keyed by jealous wannabees, I wonder how I would ever get the courage to pull into a shopping mall.

On the other hand, if BMW would like a south Floridian to demo the car for a few months, I would not have any difficulty volunteering.
    hpowers, you are correct. Unfortunately, valium just addresses our "symptoms." Now if Roche produced a "force-field" to surround our new luxury vehicles, they would be producing a product that deals with the "problem" rather than the jitters.

Come to think of it, wouldn't that be a great invention where one could make millions. Just set your "deflectors to the on position" and no one could come within 3 feet of your car without being jolted. Then, when you want to access your new luxury vehicle, press the "deflectors off" button on your remote, and voila, you have access. Hmmmm...not a bad solution if I say so myself.
    How about just paying someone to sit in the car whenever you park so you can go about your business and return worry-free. A car-sitter for LPS's. A new business!
    Any problems, the sitter writes down the plate number of the person from the other vehicle.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    The 545 with SP also comes with two different tire sizes for the front and back. 245/40 R 18's in front and 275/35 R 18's on the back. So I can't rotate them either. I do have winter tires though so that buys me some time. I do think that the M5 is a bit overpriced given that my 545 came in at around $62K. $18K more for 175 more HP and only 50 more ft/lbs of torque sounds like a bit much. But it is a newer, more innovative engine and there are some other enhancements other than the side vents!
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Uh, Rich? "18k more for 175 more horse and 50 more lb-ft sounds like a bit much"...Didn't you spend about 15k more for about 100 more horse (okay, a few more than 50 lb-ft with the V8 over the 6)? Maybe I'm undershooting the cost of last year's 530 a little, though.

I'm just pulling your chain a little...
    Actually, the 06 530i (which I have) has 255 hp. Thus, the 545 has only 70 hp more with the torque for 15K or so. But going from 52665.00 MSRP (which is what mine stickered for) to over 80+K - I think the only way I would do that is under general anesthetic and a morphine drip for as long as owned the M5 - that way I wouldn't know, wouldn't care and would be very, very, very "happy!"

Enjoy your BMW's guys - I sure do!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,202
    Yeah.. but, hpowders lease on his '05 545i is probably less than the lease on a comparable '06 530i...

So, 70 hp for free!!!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well, I didn't lease mine, I bought it - and you are right - BMW is subsidizing the 545 leases for 05's. I don't think there are many new 05 530i's out there on dealer lots, but they would probably lease as well considering the 06's are out there.

As for 70hp for "free", for some reason, I don't think one could consider anything on a BMW, or for that matter, any luxury car in this class, "free!" - EXCEPT THE DINGS, AS MENTIONED ABOVE. But if you fix the dings, then you "pay!"

Enjoy guys!!!
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Instead of free, how about dollars per HP per month? So, assuming a 2005 545 with a really nice lease deal...$2 (and change)/hp/month? (Sounds a little like ground chuck.)

What are the 2006 530's leasing for?
    Mine is an '04 so I wasn't talking about the '06 530. I don't know that the HP of the '07 550 will be off hand, but it will probably be about an 100 HP difference again between it and the '06 530. Anyway, to tell you the truth 325 HP and 330 ft/lb are enough for me! I'm still surprised that the new M5 will "only" have 383 ft/ls of torque though. I would think it would be higher than that. Oh well, I'm sure it makes do just fine with what it's got!
    Honestly, I really don't know. If you look at the posts for BMW 5 series, buying experiences and pricing, you'll see several posts up for leases.

The reason I didn't lease this time was because I got my 06 530i for about 1250.00 over invoice and an interest rate from Wachovia on a 15,000 balance at 3.99% for 60 months. I just like low monthly payments on my vehicles - 278 per month for 60 months is something I can manage considering I am fast approaching 61 years old and have retirement coming up fast, if you know what I mean.
    You had to point that out huh? :-)
    That is exactly why KYFDX, I got the 545i. I'm basically a 3 series guy hangin' out in the wrong neighborhood but BMW made me an offer I could not refuse.

You were right about the gas mileage. OUCH!

I will probably return to my beloved 3 series after I get this 5 series out of my system.(Translation: I sold my soul for 3 years and I gotta wait!!)

You think BMW will have the Comfort Access push button starting system by then?
    :)
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Speaking of horsepower the new 06 Lexus IS Sports Sedan is getting raves from Auto Week (Latest Issue Aug 8). They say BMW Beware! The IS will come in a 250 or 350 HP engine and Lexus plans to take their IS sales from 12,000 units to 40,000 units per year. (Also rumored is an IS430 model powered by a V-8. Lexus officials say "We are thinking Bigger and also think that might be what it takes to pull some of those BIMMER owners out of their 3 series seats.
    MORE HORSEPOWER seems to be the direction Lexus is taking which has to translate to their other models.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm working on that, give me some time - I'll get this back in the E-Class world, but I need some consultation on what to change/drop due to the interlinks all over the main site.

Good things come to those who wait ... patiently. Right? :P
  • lexi300lexi300 Posts: 36
    All these suggestions are great.

But when I bought my new GS300 AWD, I got a dent repair contract with it. Does anybody have any experience with this? It's a thrid party, but they camp out in my dealer's service department, so they can de-ding your car every time you bring it in for an oil change. I figured I could rest easier knowing I'd already got it covered without having to treat every ding like a collision.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The new BMW 10-cylinder is a lot like a Ferrari engine. Gobs of horsepower, a screaming red line, not so much torque. To get AMG torque, they'd have to go with forced induction, as AMG does with most of their engines.
  • I like the child seat thing very much

OTOH, the kid in the car seat probably isn't opening the door. It's older (but not too much older) kids who tend to open the door with too much enthusiasm.

Disposable sticky rubber strips that you can apply to all protruding points or the door edge of adjoining cars.

Does anyone remember that back in the 70s or so cars had rubber strips along the sides? They were right at door-contact height, and served to protect against the Dreaded Ding. But like all good ideas, they went the way of the dinosaurs.

I wonder whether the state of the interior of the car is a better indicator of whether the driver is likely to ding his neighbor...a neat freak probably wouldn't but if it's messy, watch out.
  • mqueen1mqueen1 Posts: 5
    My one month old M35x received a huge ding in the door. I was parking at work in a garage that was designed during the 70's as each space has enough room for an economy car. I knew when I walked up to the car that the SUV parked on the passenger side was too freaking close, but I was too lazy to check out that side of the car. I saw the ding when I got home and am pretty pissed about it. On the other hand it is now easier to drive and park it now that it is less than perfect. I now park in a spot that has a garage support post near the driver side, and as a previous poster mentioned park with my driver door next to the passenger door of the other vehicle. Odds are pretty good of no passenger being in cars that are in an employee lot. One other thing I have done every once in awhile, if I think there is a possiblility of the car I am parking next to pulling out and clipping my car I will take a picture of the other vehicles license plate with my phone (just in case)
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    Just drop the GS...it's got not one class leading feature...it's slow,small and did the worst in the CR comparison. Other than Lexus loyalists, who in their right mind would consider this car when you've got choices out there like M35, Audi, RL and BMW. I think Lexus didn't realize as most of these car companies didn't realize how tough this car segment would heat up this year. Should be good for shopping though.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    To get AMG torque, they'd have to go with forced induction, as AMG does with most of their engines.

Have you seen the new 6.3L AMG V8? 510hp and like 464lb-ft of torque, naturally aspirated. I'm reading on other boards where the supercharger on the current V8 is too tall for future MB's to pass Euro pedestrian safety regs. The hardest point of the engine must be a certain distance from the hood to allow for more crush space if a pedestrian dents the hood. That and it is lot to keep it up to date emission wise from 2007 onwards in Europe. The specs on the new V8 read like a racing engine, and its probably no coincidence that its tech-heavy like the new V10 from BMW.

M
    If you take a photo of an SUV's license plate that you have to park next to and you come back later and have a ding, how do you prove that it was the specific SUV that you photographed which dinged you?
    Here's an interesting article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8840360/

I knew Mercedes was having some problems, but not this many.
    One interesting part is though we were just talking about how well the E Class sells it can't be all that good. Sales for the E and C Classes are apparently down 30 to 35% for the past year if the article is accurate. The article's take on BMW is interesting as well.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    :.....the kid in the car seat probably isn't opening the door."

No, but the parent who is unfastening and lifting the kid is bent down and his/her hinee may slam the door into your precious ride ;<( .