Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    That is the amount of the check I have to write every month. Ohio requires the payment that you make to be the net amount, the final amount -- the taxes, thank you Govner, were prepaid, so the check is $669, the Inifinit as noted would have been $677.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    Just got home tonight. Love driving the new A6. Have one question though. The Bi-Xenon adaptive headlamps are supposed to light up the side of the car or sort of to some degree of an angle when you turn. They don't do much for my eyes. My parents Lexus LS 430 does a great job of lighting up the side front of car when you turn. I was driving their car recently and noticed a big difference when compared to my A6. Not a huge deal though...
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    Drive down a dark road with your headlights on. Play with the wheel (not while other cars are around you) -- the headlight's beam will turn left and right with the wheel. The effect is real and is subtle. My wife's new X3 has this feature and it too is subtle but real.

Not knowing how other car's work, I can simply say the effect has value -- yet unless or until you can test this out back to back with a car that does NOT have it, you may think nothing at all of this feature. It just seems to be as Mr. Tucker wanted those many years ago.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    The M has it, too. At first, I didn't see much of a difference; it is subtle as Mark says. The xenons have such a wide beam that it makes the adaptive lighting somewhat superfluous. Does your parent's car have xenons? I would bet it is far more noticeable on standard headlights.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    The xenons have such a wide beam that it makes the adaptive lighting somewhat superfluous.

Might this explain why I barely see my fog lights (02 530)? The ones on my Lexus are much more noticeable.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Possibly. Because they are so much brighter, xenons are normally directed somewhat lower (to protect oncoming drivers) than standard "low" beams--kind of a cross between fogs and lows.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    When I read your interview in Business Week Mr F. the thought stayed with me that as time goes by it would be an interesting situation to watch. Good for Audi! They did the right thing! And so did you. :)
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Perhaps the following figures are of interest to some of you. They refer to the total-sales numbers in May and the accumulatives of the year, both in Europe. (In brackets, the increase over April sales.) They are pretty close to each other, aren't they? Though MB keeps loosing ground this year. Sorry, I have no data for other car makers.

AUDI 56,298 (+17,2%) 270,388
    MERCEDES 53,870 (-12,7%) 283,178
    BMW 57,779 (+22,7%) 272,847

Best regards,
    José
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    The difference is a bit more than just subtle. Some of you may be expecting both lights to turn at the same time. That is not the case. Only the light on the inside of the turn will move, i.e. if you're turning left, the left light will swivel, if you're turning right, the right light will swivel. Next time you pull up to your house at night, just turn the wheel from side to side and you will see it.

Another factor is the degree of turning that the lights can do. If I recall, the A6's lights can turn up to 15 degrees, 17 degrees for the Infiniti M, and 23 degrees for the Lexus LS/GS(?). Those numbers are from rough memory from my testing all the cars and reading up on them. One really cool feature I like on the A6 is how the self leveling system will dip the headlights down and bring them back up when they first come on. Really neat looking; almost like the car is taking a bow for you. :-)
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The C class is really old compared to the 3 and A4, even more so than the E is compared to the 5 and A6. I think the drop in Mercedes sales is to be expected. Once they have a new C and a new E, they should bounce back.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The C class is really old compared to the 3 and A4, even more so than the E is compared to the 5 and A6.

Yeah the C is old compared to the new 3, but to the A4, they're only a year apart in age. The E-Class will get a facelift sooner or later, but the drop off in Europe has more to do with engines being reshuffled, both diesel and gas, plus a new 3-Series, an even bigger event "over there".

The current E500 will no doubt get the 388hp V8 from the new S500 within the next year.

M
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    May be UK car brands are no more owned by UK firms. Yet UK both engineers and motor passionates are still at the top. ;) Here there is a link to a UK website with the 2005 International Awards to the best engines.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/

Best regards,
    José
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    "Next time you pull up to your house at night, just turn the wheel from side to side and you will see it."

With the M, make sure the car is in drive (the lights don't swivel otherwise), and only the right one will swivel while stopped. The left swivels only while in motion, though I'm not sure what the minimum speed requirement is.

All in all, it's a useful function when taking sharp turns in dark settings.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    That's interesting. I didn't realize all the provisos with the M's lights.
  • chidorochidoro Posts: 125
    I guess it makes sense. There's no point in giving the car the opportunity to accidentally blinding an oncoming car
    Well, the A4 is substantially more "new" for '05 than the C is. Except for the new C350 and the revised interior, did they change anything else? You really cant tell from the outside, which cant be said about the '05 A4 vs. the '02.
  • Sounds almost identical to the way the system works in the Acura RL. The documentation says that the left headlamp doesn't swivel from a stop so you don't blind traffic facing you. The only time I can see the swivel when stopped is when I start up the engine and the system does a quick test.

If you really want to see it work, find an empty parking lot after dark.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Kudos for the Infiniti M35/45 in this recent New York Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/automobiles/26AUTO.html?pagewanted=1&8dt&emc=dt
    Infiniti is definitely on a roll, except (imo) for the QX56. In old style Infiniti tradition, its a little too close to the Armada. Its not nearly as luxurious as the LX470
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    No question that the M is a big seller. And so is the G sedan. But other Infiniti models are not exactly doing so well. I would not categorize the Q45 as an example of a car that is "on a roll." Infiniti sold 78 of them in May, and sales are down -32% YTD. Sales of the FX35/45 are also down -9% YTD, and sales of the G35 coupe are down -10% YTD.

Infiniti's total performance is mostly being carried by two models--the M and the G sedan. (The QX has also sold relatively well---with sales above 6,000 units YTD--in spite of its Armada gene pool.)

Until Infiniti rolls out a true flagship to replace the Q45, and given the questionable staying power of the FX, I'm not sure we can conclude that Infiniti is on a roll quite yet. But thanks primarily to two models, Infiniti sales are up +5%, which is very decent overall.

Nissan is the bigger winner. Their car sales are up +8%, and truck sales are up +30%! Total Nissan/Infiniti sales are up +16% YTD.

Now, Ghosn gets to try to do his magic with Renault. A bigger challenge, for sure.