Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Dye your hair gray? Seriously, since you're considering image and impressions then maybe "smart money" has nothing to do with it. IMO the 530 works best in that scenario. Most importantly... confidence!
    Well, his list is really limited in that regard, no? Again, he has to weigh his preferences.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    SIMPLE SOLUTION

1)Ask all senior exec clients what cars they favor.

3)Forget the car that you favor.

3)Buy the car that your senior exec clients favor!
  • i was also thinking of using grey hair dye and walking with a pronounced shuffle.
  • Perhaps a 2003 Audi A6 quattro is the answer. It offers executive presence, style, cargo space and awd. The concerns there are cost, reliability and residual.
    Indeed, good choice. I overlooked that one. Sorry, it's hard trying to get work done and baby sit for you guys at the same time.

;)
  • dan339gdan339g Posts: 56
    If you're willing to take a chance on reliability, how about a MB 320 4matic. Of course, you risk your clients thinking you borrowed your father's car :-)
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Are we really saying compacts simply can't provide sr.exec presence? So I should either give up the S4 Avant idea or try to go back to a jr. exec. position?

Oh my, this is a blow.
    ;)
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    Do you have to have a sedan? Another option which would give decent space in the back seat might be the Infiniti FX.
  • diesel3diesel3 Posts: 18
    let me begin by saying i enjoy this forum so much as i have learned a great deal with all the different opinions. Being the indecisive person that i am, i cant make up my mind with which car to get. I am going to lease a car within the next month and my options are the IS250AWD, G35x, RL (if priced right) and the 325xi. I need awd b/c NY gets hammered sometimes. I am 27 and i want a sports luxury sedan. I am not a fanatic with speed so horsepower isnt the end of the world but i would still like to pass by cars, ya know. The IS looks great in the pictures and i dont care about the size or room in the backseat, but 200hp isnt the best. What do you guys think i should go with as i am looking to spend in the high 30s. I need navigation and some bells and whistles. Thanks alot
  • At the risk of being booed off the planet -- I will pose a Chrysler 300 AWD -- I think it is possible since your are buying pre-owned (this may take a little longer) to even get a 300C AWD. Fully loaded new they were MSRP'd at $40K. Employee pricing probably took a few thou off of a new one; either a demo or one of those cream puff used ones that every dealer seems to have (somewhere) might do the trick.

Of the things on your list perhaps a G35X (and maybe even a 2005 once the 2006's are out -- would be in the Range$)
  • Although this is the LPS forum, I will answer: the BMW, if you like the "ride and the view."

It will not be the zippiest, but it will be a very fine driving car -- still the benchmark if that means a hill of beans to you.

You didn't mention the A4 2.0T -- but I add it to your list because it seems to fit most of your criteria and is the least thirsty if that matters.

The BMW and Audi have maintenance included -- do not think this is a minor deal, there are posts here and elsewhere about these cars' routine maint expenses being the equivalent of a 13th car payment every year.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think you'll find more information on those vehicles in the discussion at this link: Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans. That's where we are talking about how they all stack up against each other.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Hahahaha! Nope, unfortunately I'm not "officially" in the auto biz. I dont think I'd really want to be either, at least not in one of the top spots. I'm sure the stress of my job would be a walk in the park for guys like Schremp, Peich, Ford, or Wagoner. Though something tells me that Katsuaki Watanabe of Toyota currently has things a little easier than they do.

Its much easier to sit on the sidelines and yell at them when they make mistakes. The fact that the Passat 3.6 has a lot more power than the A6 3.2 doesnt really make sense either, but at least Audi has the excuse that they cant use the VR6 engine because of its layout. Perhaps Audi should've increased displacement over the old 3.0 by more than 1120cc or so.
    That perception would be incorrect. I've been in the back of an S60. Unless the front seat is all the way foward, its a very unpleasant place to be.

Personally, I highly recommend the G35x. Very fast, plenty of rear legroom, AWD, and its a blast to drive. Leasing one is also pretty inexpensive thanks to its super strong residual value.

I also agree with another poster that recommended a previous gen GS. A loaded, CPO GS430 with NAV and ML should be under $40, and the CPO warranty covers it to 7\100K, so theres no worries about used car problems.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    as much as the Acura logo looks like a design engineer's compass,
    could one become confused and think it were symbolic chastity
    appurtenant to maidens during the dark ages?(there is no motocon for a poker face?)

http://store1.yimg.com/I/united-states-flag_1865_18192856
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, I'm not sure we need to go there. Why don't we just stick to talking about the cars and not speculate on "chastity appurtenant to maidens during the dark ages?"

(Signed, the host, who is not sure I want to go figure out what the heck "appurtenant" means, even though I think I can extrapolate it from the rest of your comments. :P )
  • I have come to the conclusion that my luxury/entry luxury sedan must have AWD.

Thus, what are your under $33K recommendations, taking into account: luxury, executive presence, value, reliability, style, driving impression, rear seat room, cargo space and residual:

2005 Infiniti G35x
    2003 Audi A6 quattro
    2003 Mercedes C320 4matic
    2003 BMW 330x
    2004 Infiniti FX35

Thanks for the responses!
  • Hi Diesel3, my vote is the 2005 Acura RL. Right now they have a manufacturer incentive of $2500. I have a quote for $40,800 in SoCal. That is probably the lowest you will get at this time. This is $9,000 under MSRP. My second choice is the BMW, but beware of maintenance issues. To bad, you can't find an M35 for under $40,000. That would be my number 1 choice for you.
  • Folks,

I'm ready to replace my 2002 BMW 530i which Iove, but really want AWD for the snowy/rainy winters we get here in New Jersey. I've driven both cars, and really up in the air on which one to get....

The local Acura dealer quoted me 43,200 for an 05 and I'm still waiting on the BMW price, but looking for that car with sat radio and navigation. The Acura has my attention simply because the price is probably going to be 10K less than the BMW. I'd really like to hear from others what made you select which car and why. With my family growing, this is the last luxury car purchase I'll be making for a number of years, and want to get it right.

Thanks!
    L3
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    WOW....the forum was busy today......have you ever been half asleep and answered a post that was 2 pages old...whew! Pat...I still have to get my "forum entrance" updated so it shows the most recent post. can you please e-mail me with instructions (I know it is in the preferences but have not been able to make it work for me). Thanks, JJ
    PS: Appurtenant.....relating to something that is added but not essential. (Sort of like Live-Traffic for me!)
  • dan339gdan339g Posts: 56
    I think the G35x is your best bet. It addresses all of your criteria quite nicely. Although I have never thought of them this way, they could be perceived as a vehicle favored by the "Jr. Executive", but so what. If you can't afford something new in the premium class, then you ARE a Jr. Executive, and there is nothing wrong with that. At your age it is more important to demonstrate sound judgment by driving a car that best suits this chapter of your life, as opposed to buying a car that portrays a particular image that does not reflect reality. Most people aren't stupid, and they know a "poser" when they see one. Good luck :-)
    Go for the G35x. The A6 is unreliable, and has a lousy NAV system. Its also a slug unless you get the turbo or the V8. The '03 Audi A6 has much worse CR reliability ratings than a '97 Infiniti Q45. Thats just embarrasing.

A '03 M-B would make me very nervous. Also, '01-'04 C-classes have Hyundai level interiors. Not worth the money. Also, at 33.0", the Benz has less rear legroom than the Volvo or BMW.

The BMW is a great car, but at this point its quite dated in terms of features compared to cars like the G. NAV is also lousy, and if you get it you're stuck with a tape deck. The back seats wont make you any friends.

The FX is currently the closest thing Infiniti has to a G wagon. Keep in mind that it basically has no off-road abilities whatsoever, and not much cargo room either. The dash design is also not so great. Stick with the G35.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    I don't think you need AWD in New York City. I lived in New York for years and had no problems with either front drive or even RWD. On those 3 days a year when it snows heavy, take the subway. With RWD you'll save a couple thousand bucks, get better gas mileage, and have a faster car.
  • mexibecmexibec Posts: 114
    > With my family growing, this is the last luxury car purchase I'll be making for a number of years, and want to get it right.

That's exactly where I was when I sold my '99 528i (best sedan ever built?), plus the desire for more kick. Peace of mind being a factor, I had to eliminate early on BMW & MB, despite being remarkable cars. Any choice among Acura RL, Lexus GS, Infinity M is a solid choice for many years to come. If you narrowed it down to the RL and 530xi, and you want a luxurious & reliable car for 5+ years, go with the Acura. You an I need to wait for the next generation of German cars to seriously consider them.
    Have you considered the M35x? It basically has 98.5% of the BMW's capabilities, with Japanese reliability. A bit more money than the Acura, but still a lot cheaper than the BMW.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    And with a family, it (the M35x) will give you more back seat room.
    You an I need to wait for the next generation of German cars to seriously consider them.

So all German cars are unreliable? Or do you mean just VWs and MBs are unreliable?

I certainly hope you are not including BMW 5s and 3s among them? Because if you are then please look at CR and JD Power stats! If you do look at the stats you will find that reliability is a non-issue for the 3s and 5s. Yes BMWs are not the best in terms of reliabilty but they are certainly not the worst in reliability as most forum members here believe.

BUY THE CAR YOU LOVE TEST DRIVING! DONT GET DISTRACTED BY STATS THAT WILL ONLY MAKE YOU BUY A LUXURIOUS AND COMPETENT APPLIANCE OF A VEHICLE VERSUS THE CAR YOU REALLY LOVE DRIVING.

Before looking at the financial consequences of car maintenance, it should be recommended that all potential buyers look at residual values since depreciation is the NUMBER ONE financial killer in car purchases. Oh and by the way, BMWs are NUMBER ONE in terms of residual values!
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Posts: 119
    Hmmm, M35x has 98.5% of a BMW 530xi? According to almost every review and my own experience, the BMW has 95% of the M35x capabilities with less reliability, customer satisfaction, and residual value. And, the M35x runs pretty close to 530xi pricing when you consider BMW's free maintenance and subsidies, although you do have to take into account the BMW is predicted to depreciate more than the M35x.

At ~$41K loaded, the RL is a great deal. If I didn't have to have the V8, the RL would have been real hard to pass up.
    Just curious,

what BMW530xi vs. Inifiniti M35x reviews are you basing your opinion on?