Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    cove,

Lexus sold 2529 LS, which is best in class.

The info is available at autochannel.com.

lexusguy,

Yep, the RL seems to be doing fine. However, the big test will come when the GS and M come to the market, as they will undoubtedly be the biggest competitors.

It does look like the A6 took some sales away from the 5, as I'm sure that people who prefer the "German" image and steering feel would have cross-shopped those cars.

There really doesn't seem to be any duds in this class. Even when the GS and M come out, I expect the RL to sell about 1500 per month, and the GS and M somewhat above that. It's a great time to be shopping in this class.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Well, the biggest gain for november was A6 with 1500 new sales, and the biggest loser was BMW with 800 lost sales. I think that means you can figure a good portion of those 1500 sales that went to Audi considered the BMW 5 and passed on it.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I think some of the "Lost" sales are wait sales. I myself am putting off a purchase until I can get an model with an updated engine.
    Is the 5 getting the 255-hp 3.0L engine next year?
  • I believe the new 3.0 will be available in March production cars.
    enough teasing Infiniti! Bring on the car!
  • ha ha. I wonder if they put those pics out sincea red m45 was just spotted on the road and pics appeared on another forum on Thursday. :)
  • r2917r2917 Posts: 67
    The new M sounds like it will be a fantastic car but I am just not feeling the interior. For the most part I like the exterior but the interior layout just looks weird to me.

I don't like how the stereo controls are totally surrounded by wood and it looks way out of place compared to the nav/climate controls.

I do like the wheel & instrument cluster housing though.

Rob
    I actually think the new M has one of the best interiors in the class. Its got the elegance of the new GS, but more flash and pizazz. It doesnt make the mistake of being in a giant's shadow like RL, and it doesnt try to be a HAL 9000 like Audi A6.
    I read from a very reliable source on another board that the official horsepower of the M45 will be 335, and not 340. He said that the decrease in hp enabled them to raise torque and still meet EPA requirements. Anyways, the increase in torque resulted in a very impressive 0 to 60 time. All the figures will be release at the Detroit Auto Show.

Looks like they are hell bent on giving the 545 a run for its money.
  • Does anyone know when the 2006 Lexus GS300 is scheduled to arrive in showrooms? I am considering a new BMW 530 or Acura RL. I have until 4/05 to decide.
    It should be sometime in late march or april, about the same time as the new Infiniti M35\45 is launched. Between the BMW and Acura, get the Acura.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    When I attended the NE Int'l Auto Show in November, the '06 GS was there. It received absolutely no attention although I checked it out. While an improvement stylistically over the current version (a styling mistake not quite on par with a CTS but just an odd assortment of shapes and sizes. I always think of an egg lying sideways in an egg holder when I see one...?), it still disappointed me.

The M45 was not available at the show to compare/contrast. The Acura RL was drawing a nice crowd.

I did get some nice Scion key chains and a very bright red Toyota hat...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Yeah. I saw the new GS in Tampa and it looked disappointingly bloated when viewed from the side. Right-like an egg. Can't wait to see and drive the new M45 in a few months. Photos of the M look much better than the GS.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    The new GS looks like Quasimoto. The butt on the M45 is hideous. Those tail lamps have to go.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    As observed in the above posts, I also was disappointed with the new GS seen at my local auto show.

The car from the side is a bloated looking Maxima. The interior (at least in black) was not up to the usual stylish Lexus standards.
  • Bingo. I saw both at the DC Auto Show yesterday. IMHO, the GS is the nicer of the two. Aesthetically, the RL beats them both IF you have the spoiler. Otherwise, the RL is also pretty ho-hum. None of them were getting much attention. The A6, on the other hand, was pretty popular. Huge crowds, and there were 3 on the floor. The Acura had the next largest crowd. While I was there, two or three people were looking at the GS, and nobody was looking at the M--and there was nobody handy to pitch either.

BTW, I agree with the earlier post that the RL beats the BMW.
    It may all depend on the time, and wether there's any kind of presentation or not. When I was at the NYAS, not a single person was paying any attention to the RL, it was just sitting on the floor with no kind of anything to point out it was a brand new car. The GS and M were on huge rotating platforms, and during the presentations both got big crowds, though the GS's was the bigger of the two. The A6 had more attention than the RL, but not by much. Mercedes was the only area that was mobbed, basically because of the SLR McLaren.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Why is it so difficult for some automakers to design appealing vehicles? Why can't they show photos of prospective designs to people like us and get feedback from real people?