Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Yeah, yeah, I know. (And in my own case, I was schlepping not only the kid but an oxygen tank attached to her that was like lugging around a dead body. And while we had a handicapped pass, the spaces were not the cavernous affairs they are now. It's a good thing I was [and am] a small person able to negotiate very tight spots...) But it takes all the fun out of the thread to get too technical. :P
  • On the other hand it is now easier to drive and park it now that it is less than perfect.

Exactly. Once you've been initiated, subsequent dings sting less.

But (and let's not get technical here :blush: ), some areas make a bigger deal out of carpooling than others, and if you live in one of them, those passenger doors will get a workout too.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    The real luxury car is a 1995 Dodge Neon with 135,000 miles. How is that a luxury car? Because the owner has the luxury of not caring where he parks or what happens to the car. That's real luxury. That's freedom!

What's not a luxury car? All the cars on this board, because one is putting $50,000 down on the street every day and worried to death about all the damage that can be done to it. That is no luxury!
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Unfortunately, much of this is true. But when I get behind the wheel of my 545i, it seems to almost even out.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    By the same token, you can live in a house full of fiberboard wal-mart furniture so you dont have to worry about theft, floods, etc. Dings, paint scratches, brake dust, rock chips, etc. are all annoying, and to a certain extent all inevitable if you drive the car long enough. Putting 25K or more a year on a '95 Neon, on the other hand, would be a lot worse.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,240
    Well, it's been interesting reading about the "ding" situation.

I buy my cars & keep them for 4 - 10 years. Dings happen. I drive a lot, too. That's why I enjoy cars that can do it well.

I'll not say more. I put a whole paragraph in here about getting a life and such, but it's gone now.

Would you rather look at the car, or drive it? That's the question that I've caused more than a few discussions asking, in several boards. Is it an art object (see, I left out the French equivalent), or a device to help you get somewhere and/or have have a lot of fun doing it?

Yeah, it ought to look good, but. . . The reality is that if you use a car every day & drive it 15 - 20K per year. . .it'll get dinged. Duh.

Do you drive it the way it was meant to be used, or do you park it, hoping for an appropriately appreciative response from some third party?

If I saw an M3 or M5 that was dinged all over, complete with bugs aplenty on the forward surfaces, I'd want to sit with the driver and discuss where they'd been, and how they liked it, and a (possibly) better route the next time. Drivers enjoy comparing notes. The folks who appreciate art probably look at it differently.

Note that I said if, not when.
    The analogy (between a cheap house and a cheap car) doesn't quite work. The logic isn't quite there. For one, a house appreciates, a car depreciates. Also, I don't know anybody with a million-dollar house who sits around worrying about it being damaged (as people here are worried about their cars being dinged).

At the moment (before I drop $50,000 on one of these cars), I have a '97 Maxima with 91,000 miles, and have the luxury of parking it in the closest space to wherever I'm going, without checking out the cars on either side, doing some demographic analysis on the driver, hypothetizing about whether there's a passenger, checking out the interior of the other cars looking for car seats, taking pictures of the license plates of the adjoining cars, doing DNA screening of the drivers adjacent, etc. Frankly, I don't care who's parking next to me. That's luxury. Of course, when I succumb to the big $50,000 temptation, like the rest of you, I'll be parking a half mile away from my destination, and staying home when it acid rains or hails (God forbid).
    I WISH I could only park a half a mile away.
    By the way, how can I do the DNA screening? Walmart has a kit for that?
    Sometimes the photos don't come out because I gotta snap the plate while facing the sun.
  • FWIW

I think that adding the E only as the AMG would make sense for the 'performance' nature of the forum. The E350 which accounts for 80% of MB's E class sales, is NOT a 'performance' sedan, though it might drive 'nice' by some folk's standards.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    I may be misreading things, but I assumed that all the ding posts (and I know mine were) were all intended as tongue-in-cheek/less-than-completely-serious. While I do try to park where the car will not run a greater than average chance of damage, I am not blind to the fact that it will get dinged. When I drove an Accord with 80000 miles, I did the same thing (although to a slightly lesser degree).

My wife DOES think I'm nuts, though.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Here's an interesting article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8840360/

I knew Mercedes was having some problems, but not this many."

Great article - and I just took the S-Class off my list of possible Sedans to buy. :sick:
    Well it seems a lot of folks don't seem to mind being struck by that Bangle board as sales of the E60 are up 15.8% since September 2004.
    The car is simply gawjis!
    "If I saw an M3 or M5 that was dinged all over, complete with bugs aplenty on the forward surfaces, I'd want to sit with the driver and discuss where they'd been, and how they liked it, and a (possibly) better route the next time. Drivers enjoy comparing notes. The folks who appreciate art probably look at it differently."

You have a great outlook cdn. Cars are made to drive and be driven. It should be about function. However, I must admit - I get my bugs washed off quickly and a lot - and I fix dings. BUT, I do drive the cars, and park anywhere and take my chances. Generally, I do ok.
  • I think this is one of the better assessments of the state of the problems at MB. The new CEO has his work cut out for him.

U.S. year-to-date sales data indicate that the market here has finally figured out that the MB isn't such a smart buy (or lease) these days. Can you imagine going to a cocktail party in the Hamptons and bragging about your new MB? I can just see the polite smiles and hear the quick "excuse-me's".

Finally, the caché has crashé.
    All of my friends who have recent S-Classes, are pretty angry about the problems they are chronically having. Some of them have dumped them for a Lexus.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. At least with my LS anyway. If I need to park the XK I may look for a "safe" spot, but its not something I'm going to pull my hair out over. "The things you own end up owning you".
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I enjoyed ALL the DING posts even the tongue-in-cheek stuff. (and hpowders...Walgreens currently have the DNA kits on sale!) Strangely enough my last car, a 2000 TL went 74,000 miles without a ding. The secret....retirement.:blush: However for 30 years before that I parked in the same lot where we were stacked like sardines and dings and even bumper bruises happened routinely. My company reimbursed me for parking and mileage but not body damage. :sick:
    You guys missed the real ding danger: SUPERMARKET CARTS! I parked my car at the downhill end of the parking lot far away from other cars one windy day at the supermarket, and I was hit by a runaway cart which caught the wind and went wild. My car looked like it had been hit by another car.

Bill from my body shop: $1,100.

I told my insurance agent that this must be the first with something like this, and he said, "Are you kidding? This happens every day."

My advice: never park downhill in a supermarket parking lot.
  • jeff721jeff721 Posts: 80
    What is an LPS?
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Good reminder about the carts bartalk3...happened to my wifes Accord...she parked next to a cart CORRAL on a windy day and one got loose and nailed her door...we discovered the damage at home and it took a while to figure out what hit her.