Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,102
    . . .rich folks vs really rich folks. One group of rich folks has good income, some wealth and decent cash flow, they are usually under 40. They drive the Audi, BMW and Mercedes high five and low six figure cars, if they are the more gregarious types (not that there is anything wrong with that.)

The really rich folks seem to drive nice, but oddly inexpensive or older versions of expensive cars that they got years ago. I don't personally know the most recent (former) owner of the Cincinnati Reds, but he eats at the same medium upscale restaurant as I -- he has a Rolls.

Other very well off people based on either reputation or personal knowledge drive, for instance, the most expensive Lexus made but it has over 200,000 miles on it and it has been repainted twice and had lots of TLC to keep it going.

Another such individual drives a Honda mini van and has a very nice SRX with all the toys on it. The third such person I know drives an Avalon. The president of a software company that I know drives BMW's -- one at a time, has had a two seater, followed by a coupe followed by a five then a 7 and now back to the Z car. He is all over the board. Once a $75,000+ car then a $39,000 car.

Another guy buys Audi A6's w/ the 4.2's probably topping out at $63K.

The guy who owns the BMW store is often seen in his 1997 M3 or his 2006 X3. Who knows what's what.

The [former] owner of the Audi store has an A6 and a Boxster. The sales manager, however, has an A8L.

The guy that sold me mine had an A6, now has an A4 avant.

My millionaire next door cousin drives ONLY cars that cost "a couple of thousand dollars." Yet he has a million dollar apartment in Venice, Italy and more commercial real estate than he can remember.

Now HE bothers me, for his cars are literally rickety and have bald tires and barely working accessories, such as the wipers.

Takes all kind in this LPS world.

OK, so I sit here today on casual Friday with my Tissot watch but wearing my Prada Shoes -- shoes bought and paid for by Audi of America in recognition of my long and loyal patronage. What makes them worth nearly $400 -- thanks to Audi for buying them for me with a Nieman Marcus gift card!

To repeat: takes all kinds.

"Odd" though that there is a paucity of Japanese cars in the list, don't you think?

Have a great weekend, spring, here in Cincinnapolis, is in the air.

:shades:
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    There are actually some pretty interesting cars in my neighborhood, including a Z8, a 911 GT2, and a 360 Modena. These are all owned by very well off people obviously, but none of them are super rich. I dont think billionares have time to think about cars.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Not only is there not a singele Japanese LPS, there isn't a single LPS at all! Lincolns and pickup trucks won the day. We are all driving the wrong type of vehicles; that must be the reason why we are not as rich as they are ;-)
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Here's my theory as to why these bajillionaires don't drive the seriously upscale cars.... They know they depreciate heavily. I'm sure they have plenty of valuable property and realize that it will probably appreciate, too. Perhaps they are just more wise with their money and put into something that grows rather than withers away.... Any thoughts?
  • hithit Posts: 26
    Well.. I decided I've worked my [non-permissible content removed] off hard enough and earned the privilage to buy myself a nice car. I started off driving an early ninties 740iL as my 2nd car, and that's what got me hooked on what it is to ENJOY driving, as opposed to what other cars do: get you from point A to point B. I have a 03 Honda Accord v6 coupe now, and I'll be selling that.

But my question is this: what is the best car to get for me? I'm 21 yrs old -- looking for a luxurious and enjoyable ride.. but I want a bit of kick in the car as well (so 525 is out of the question, and I'm not a fan of the new BMW styling anyway). My primary focus right now is on a m45 sport, but it seems many people here are fans of Audi and Lexus. I will be leasing, and ~700 a month is my cutoff... so unfortunetly I can't really allow myself an E55 or a 750 just yet.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    It depends on your needs. If you don't need a large car, you can get a lot of kick out of a 330, or G35 (I love the coupe, it's just not practical for me). If you want more luxury, then you will probably have to move up to the M35/45, 530/550, A6, RL, or GS. Any vehicle discussed on this board will give you luxury and some kick to varying degrees.

The next big question is how much a stick is worth to you, because that shakes out most of 'em.
    I think you'll like the M, its about as close as you can get to a 550i without actually getting a 550i.

Personally, I'm not that big of a fan of the new A6, but if you want a V8 and AWD, the Infiniti is automatically out.

If you like the M45 sport, I dont think you're going to like the GS430. The computer brakes and computer steering take away just about all the fun, and while technically VDIM can be shut down (using a fun 13 step service code every time you start the car) its not the right car for the performance minded driver. The GS300 is actually more fun to drive, too bad it has just 245hp.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    I`m telling you `They are into planes` Mr Buffet --a good many years ago--finally allowed his company to get a small jet....He was quite agast at it`s cost but relented as it permitted him to get around more conveniently..Eventually he got into the plane leasing business--although I`m not sure it is profitable...That led into pilot training equipment... At the private airport the parking lot is mostly Suburbans ...Go out sometimes and take a look for yourselves -and report back what you see...Tony
  • hithit Posts: 26
    I can defintely live without a stick, the auto w/ manual shift is good enough for when I want to have fun with the car.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Maybe it's that those who have the serious money don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops; they're not trying to impress anyone, and anyway, everyone knows what they have. So they drive whatever pleases them/serves their purpose, regardless of the cost. Those who just want everyone else to think they have a lot of money might be more inclined to make ostentatious purchases.

Also, when you literally can have anything you want, any time you want it, it kind of takes the fun out of getting it. So why bother?
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Or maybe we're all analyzing too deeply here, and for at least some of them, a car is simply something to get you from point A to point b, so why spend a bundle when something perfectly acceptable can be gotten for a (relative) pittance?

And then there's D) all of the above. ;)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,102
    I spent all of the 68 miles I drove today in tip-tronic manual mode. Someone kill me now, it is so lame, bogus, wimpy, flaccid, tepid and any other weak and limp words I could ever imagine. "S" mode, at least reacts reasonably close to normal -- tip-manual mode is like watching a movie with lip synch problems. Who had this bright idea anyway?

Unless I left the dang thing in 2nd or 3rd gear I was NOT feeling EVER I was in the right gear. Now, you long time posters and readers know that I have had dozens of stick shift cars -- the manu-matic isn't even close.

I do not fault your want for a car that reduces the things you have to do to drive it. Frankly I can even understand this want/need.

I just want to be able to have a car with the lux and power and AWD performance of an A6 that comes with the OPTION of a stick shift. I do not want to impose my personal lunatic fringe desires on you.

But PLEEEEESE don't tell me the manu-matic is even close to a stick shift. My 6 speed tipronic is the best automatic I have ever had. This is like telling you the last root canal I had was the least painful of the root canals I have had in the past 54 years. "Well, that may be true, but it is STILL a root canal."

Now, having said all this (and repeated it often), I actually "like" my tiptronic. Having driven the DSG and CVT (both in Audis, one of them with the wonderful 3.2 engine), I could almost certainly learn to LOVE the DSG and soon forget the tiptronic or as some call these things, "slop-tronic" transmission and the manual transmissions.

Forgive me but I find it difficult to imagine that anyone who took a long test drive in a BMW 5 series with the stick or an Audi S4 or even A4 3.2 with stick shifts, would find the automatics currently offered "superior" in ANY way, unless you MUST use a hand held cell phone (which will be outlawed within this decade, I am confident.)

Yep, I am the screaming voice in the wilderness.

For I would actually pay MORE for a stick shift version of an A6 SLine or a BMW 530xi sport (if one actually would be brought to this side of the Atlantic.)

On the other hand, I am, despite my protestations to the contrary, not unwilling to just "go with the flow" and buy the auto versions.

I have met the enemy and it is ME.

Of course those of you who think the "P" should be completely removed from the LPS cars remain, unsympathetic and unempathetic -- and the latter "un" is the most disconcerting.

Whatya gonna do? :confuse:
  • rayngrayng Posts: 70
    Cars are just for transportation. Those who want to go in style a little faster, tend to have their own planes.

The point though is that we much of the appeal of LPS is the symbol of success that we thing we can show to ourselves, family, or neighbors.

If we were really rich, why would we buy bmws or Benz? Before each of these rich guys became rich, I bet they didn't drive the kind of cars we own now.

We are the suckers that pay the high profits enjoyed by investors like Buffett.

My 911 has already depreciated $6k since I bought it two weeks ago. :cry:
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    The super rich may have average cars

Before each of these rich guys became rich, I bet they didn't drive the kind of cars we own now.

a car is simply something to get you from point A to point b, so why spend a bundle when something perfectly acceptable can be gotten for a (relative) pittance?

Maybe it's that those who have the serious money don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops;

Most the billionaires on the list do not own average cars that are worth a pittance. In fact most their cars are ostentatious:

Porsche 911 convertible
    Porsche 959
    Bentley Flying Spur
    Bentley Continental GT
    Rolls Royce Phantom
    Hummer H2( I would not call this SUV a humble vehicle)

Oh yes there are the exceptional billionaires like Warren Buffet. Dont forget Buffet has to live up to his folksy and humble persona. Can you imagine how many Buffet fans would be turned off if he bought himself a Maybach? Warren would not ruin his folksy reputation by buying a Maybach even if owning such a car is what he truly desires.

Another exception is Alice Walton. This is a lady rancher who is not afraid to break her nails. What sounds more appropriate for her: a elegant silky soft luxury car or a pick up?
    And Jim Walton her brother. Yes his cars are modest but have you noticed that his car collection includes a 59 Cadillac. If this Cadillac is in mint condition it may be worth even more than the newest Rolls Royce.

The one exception I cant explain is Ballmer. He desires to buy the upcoming Lincoln Zephyr(a ostentatious version of the Mazda6). Maybe Ballmer is a Buffet fan :confuse:
    Just don't take that m5(6) on a road trip. The amount of time you'll spend filling your tank will enable that turtle-slow Accord to catchup and pass.

After receiving a real nasty speeding ticket two weeks ago the most practical thing for me to do is forget the sports car and just buy a turtle slow i4 manual Accord.

Unfortunately I am very unpractical.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Also, when you literally can have anything you want, any time you want it, it kind of takes the fun out of getting it. So why bother?

Oh, is that so? Are you speaking from genuine experience or are you really just making your best guess?

:P

TagMan
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    The Infiniti FX 45 and an Acura Integra were listed. While not neccesarily considered LPS they are certainly premier japanese makes...

What was more surprising was no BMW's in any ones garage.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I agree. I think we should stay away from generalizations about rich people. What if said really rich person enjoys driving? He/she is going to get a nice car. If you love driving a Ford pick-up is hardly going to suffice. Having grown up near Greenwich, CT I can tell you that there are plenty of old money, ultra rich people there that drive really expensive cars. Just look at what dealerships are in the town (just about every really expensive brand in either in Greenwich or close at hand). They have to be selling those cars to someone, and Greenwich is one of the richest towns in the nation.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Having grown up near Greenwich, CT I can tell you that there are plenty of old money, ultra rich people there that drive really expensive cars. Just look at what dealerships are in the town (just about every really expensive brand in either in Greenwich or close at hand). They have to be selling those cars to someone, and Greenwich is one of the richest towns in the nation.

I lived for a year or two in Norwalk, CT, and I drove up and down Putnam Ave in Greenwich a few times just to admire the amazing dealerships there... Wow! The Rolls Royce "palace" on the corner is just a beautiful sight. You can see all of the world's finest vehicles in just a 1-2 mile stretch. Awesome for any car lover.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    Sounds like Newport Beach/Laguna Beach, CA. Last spring while waiting at a red light in that area (in my rental Taurus), I saw a Lambo Murcielago and a Porsche Carrera GT in the space of 20 seconds. The GT turned a corner and floored it. It sounded like a jet fighter spooling up, only faster.

The maids drive 330i's.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Sounds like you are badly in need of a Valentine One.
    Just follow the arrows....
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Sorry about the ticket---I haven`t had one in a really long time, but I remember it well --right now-- Tony
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    The one billionaire I know personally, drives an 93 Buick station wagon with fake wookgrain side panels. But then, he is 89 years old, and I know he had a 911 when he was much younger.
    I've not had good luck in the past with radar detectors. I'm more than happy to go 85 in a crowd, but when the roads are more empty, I try to keep it to no more than 12 over. It works pretty well, at least in PA.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,594
    ...drives a white Bentley Convertible...

He is in his '80s, and you can still see him regularly, tooling around with the top down...

He is a self-made billionaire.... started from scratch..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Just got back from a cruise through Greenwich. Stopped on Greenwich Ave for a Toffee Nut Latte at Starbucks. It was over 60 degrees here today. The drop-top Bentleys, Rollers and sundry, hoi polloi, garage-queen Porsches were out yawing after their winter slumber. I also had a Lambo sighting. But after this week’s LPS forum they can no longer fool me—I was asking Ford-pickup owners for their autographs.

;-)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,705
    Former Westport denizen here (no, I am not one of Staples High most famous graduates, Marilyn Chambers...), worked for a year in Greenwich on Putnam Ave. I, too, used to enjoy the Putnam Ave. stroll! I actually bought my first new car in Greenwich, 1985 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo. Replaced my first car ever, the beloved '78 VW Scirocco purchased used from a cabinetmaker in Nyack, NY if memory serves. Now, I'm getting misty...

I now live a stone's throw from an "Automile" which while having all the usual suspects, will be enhanced this spring with a brand spankin' new Porsche/Audi and Jaguar dealer. Oh, boy! Which, to post somewhat to topic, will have Luxury Performance Sedans... :D

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Lexus announced that the GS300 will become the GS350 this fall, estimated 305hp, and the GS430 will become the GS480 next spring. This has been much anticipated and is now official.
    This makes no sense unless the 08 LS460 becomses a LS480.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    "This makes no sense unless the 08 SL460 becomes a LS480."

Why not? BMW for years has offered the same engines in the 5-series as the 7.