Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think you are misreading drtravel's intent. He's just echoing some things said here earlier about how the posts that genuinely critique - not just praise - the poster's own vehicle are often the most valuable and most informed.

I don't think he meant any offense.
  • drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    Picked up my M35 on April 15 - got one of the first ones off the boat. Have driven it for 9K miles and have averaged about 19 MPG city/highway driving although sometimes SoCal Freeways feel like city driving.

Within the first week of ownership I noticed a squeaking sound from the head liner and a pinging sound from the exhaust system during cool down. Fortunately I was accustomed to doing "battle" with the service guys from my BMW and M-B ownership days so I readily went down to my dealership. They called in the Infiniti Engineers who were eager to hear about any problems with the car. They came up with a fix and two TSBs. They said it was a flaw which only affected a small number of vehicles (lucky me) but all Ms produced after the TSB were tweaked, so none had these problems anymore. Not sure if I should classify this incident as a reliability problem or a design bug. All brand new designs have some issues. I was treated quite well by all parties involved including follow ups by many. Have had no other problems with the car.

On my JD Power survey I gave the car an "average" rating for Road Noise. I attribute this to the notoriously noisy Goodyears. Someone at Infiniti Corporate read my survey and gave me call to set up a meeting with several engineers to discuss this. I took them for a test drive and then they added some "strategically placed" insulation to see if that helped. Not really - changing the tires is what I suggested. I did drop big hints but they didn't offer any new tires. They did however give me a $250 gift card for my time. My dealer also comped my 7.5K service so I guess I'm getting free maintenance? I'm very impressed with the company's dedication to this car - they actually care about what the customer wants. I have a feeling that future generations will be much improved.

After the fix for the initial problems the car has been solid. There are a few minor design annoyances (i.e. no automatic self-locking doors, I wish I could permanently turn off the self-dimming rear view mirror) but these are trivial and no more than found on any other car. The road noise issue is tire related. Wind and engine noise are like my old BMW and M-B although my Lexus was extremely quiet. It's only noticeable on concrete road with grooves. I've grown accustomed to it plus I enjoy listening to my high quality stereo loud!

So how does my first 7 months of ownership compare to that of my other LPS? My Lexus had no problems and although I have grown to appreciate the Ms interior even more I still thought the Lexus interior was the finest. Outstanding customer service. My BMW had more problems and for my actual driving I still rate both cars equal in their road manners. Average customer service. My M-B had alot more problems (it was also the first year of a new design) although their customer service was excellent. Now remember these are my actual experiences....yours will probably vary.

Whenever I pull up next to a 5-series I never think that I should have chosen the BMW. Of course I have owned one before and I can see how for someone who has never owned a BMW before they might have a different take on the situation - don't get me started on that badge thing. What a valet thinks about my car is irrelevant to me. I expect to get treated well regardless of what type of car I drive.

The owner of my dealership says Infiniti is ecstatic about their sales thus far. Corporate is expecting the car to increase in sales every year - just like the G did for it's first three years. How many luxury buyers even think about Infiniti?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    jo2 specifically referred to the M's loud engine, not tire noise.
    I drove the M35 and M45 twice each and each time upon acceleration, the engine made a very loud noise. Like a race car.
    I, for one, would not be able to get used to that and I passed on the car(s).
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Whoever said VW luxury died with the Phaeton.

Coming soon to a dealership near you, a VW coupe that will compete with the Benz CLS500!

I am not kidding.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103630
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Apparently VW didn't learn their lesson....
    I dont think VW will any lessons until they get rid of source of all their problems:

VW Chairman Piech

I am willing to wager that this coupe endeavor is one of his new self-destructive pet projects.
    Pardon my bad anglish on the last post.

Key complaint about the current VW Passat is that it is a bit pricey to the competition.

So what does VW do? They will introduce a far more expensive Passat as a coupe version. :confuse:
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Posts: 119
    Hpowers,

You are not the target market for the M. Generation X does not mind, even prefers, to hear the engine every now and again. It is a hallmark of Nissan's sport cars, NISMO, and now Infiniti to design a little bark in the exhaust note of their performance cars.
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Posts: 119
    Believe it or don't, a Bangle 5 series pulled into the parking lot at Target yesterday, a father and son got out and oogled my M45 Sport, then drove away. My neighbor with his '04 530i constantly bemoans his 225 HP when we compare car notes and almost acts embarrased when we pull out of the neighborhood together.

I guess the question should be asked both ways....
    Well BMW listened and now the 2006 530i is a much more competitive vehicle.

I also look when I see an M. Problem is I don't see too many.
    My E60 is also a rarity. Nobody around here seems to drive one.

You are right. I am not the target person the Infiniti M is designed for.
    But I really do love powerful cars.
    When I enter the highway in my 545 and step on the gas to merge, the effect is quite intoxicating...
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    And how does your BMW service department treat you when you show up munching on a Palm steak? Gimme a break! Give us all a break. I like my E39 530 a lot, but for God's sake it's just a car.
  • . . .the M's several times.

At the time, April 2005, ordering an M35x with Journey and Technology seemed the ultimate smart thing to do.

Drove like a German car, close to the BMW, perhaps slightly better than the A6, had the AWD, great electronics, and great deal.

Seemed plenty powerful, especially compared to the then anemic 530i.

Seemed like a better deal than the Audi -- AT THE TIME.

I ended up because of the deal alone with the Audi, which was my first choice, but not for $200 per month more than the Infiniti.

I have had, for those newcomers, over 2 dozen Audis -- but I felt they had priced themselves out of the market.

Perhaps the deal I got was unique, if so, this may be my last Audi.

But it will not be because of the car -- it has been great in every way.

At 9,000 miles, I love driving it.
  • Pardon my ignorance, but is Palm Steakhouse the Candian version of Ponderosa?

LOL The restaurant wasn't very popular but they released sales figures indicating that they sold more porterhouses than rival steak houses. Now the restaurant is flooded with people seeking the steak that comes with a cute little badge that reads "Ultimate Feeding Routine". You need only pay 20% more to enjoy too.

Jo2, the M does emit a rumble under acceleration. I actually enjoy the note and even if I didn't I don't find it noisy enough to be bothersome. It is a performance sedan. As with a previous post, I generally have the music loud enough that I don't hear it anyway.

Will you feel envious of a BMW when it pulls up next to you? Only you can answer that question. If what others think of your car is that important you may need the little propeller. I'm with drtravel in that it doesn't mean much to me. The only compliment that I'll pay to BMW today is that I only needed to twist their arm, not break it, to buy back my defective 7er.

Have fun with your choice.
  • I think it's great that Audi stepped up to the plate and showed that they viewed you as a valuable customer Mark. It's unfortunate that they waited so long to do so but at least they did it. My 20+ year loyalty to M-B,unfortunately, was not appreciated as was yours. Perhaps they've bought back enough cars that they've drawn a line.

I've been meaning to ask you a question about a problem that you had mentioned with your A6. Now that the higher- end cars are seemingly headed in a push-button start direction, were you dead in the water when that part failed? I've really grown to love the feature as I've had "Keyless Go" on the M-B and now the similar feature on the M. I was just curious if there is a work around should that part fail.

Happy A6 motoring!
    Never cared much for either of my 2 BMW service departments I've had to deal with.
    Never met a BMW service employee who wasn't cold and impersonal.

I never show up at the service dept. munching anything. I always save room for the Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies and the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted.
    Both courtesy of the service dept.
    I wouldn't be surprised If some folks just go in there off the street and munch for free.
    Who really checks?

Believe me, I know it's just a car. Most of the time I am deliberately being provocative to stir up the pot and most of the time I succeed.

You'll have to excuse me but I must place a call to order a 32 oz. t-bone before the Palm closes.
    For me, they will deliver! I am after all a BMW lessee.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I've read in magazines that have years and years of experience with the VQ that it has gotten somewhat gruff and coarse in its old age from so many displacement increases. While the sheer muscle of the engine is undeniable, it pales in terms of refinement to pretty much every other engine in the class, except for the S-type which is stuck with the poor old Taurus engine. If the rumored 3.7L for the next G is a new from the ground up engine, there's a good chance the M37 will be much more refined.
  • I wish I could permanently turn off the self-dimming rear view mirror

Just out of curiousity, why do you dislike this feature? I've really liked this feature on both my RLs.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A journalist working on a personal finance story about auto insurance is specifically hoping to find some people who pay enormous amounts in auto insurance. (For example, perhaps some young males who own pricey performance cars.)

If you're someone who's paying several thousand dollars annually in auto insurance, or has a son or daughter who is, please respond to pr@edmunds.com before the end of the day Weds., Nov. 23, with your daytime contact number.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    I wish I could permanently turn off the self-dimming rear view mirror

Just out of curiousity, why do you dislike this feature? I've really liked this feature on both my RLs.

I have tinted windows. At night time when you combine that with a self-dimming rear mirror - it's pretty dark back there. I turn it off and can see just fine. It's just when I turn the car off and start it again, the mirror is back at it's self-dimming mode. I don't dislike the feature - just let me control it some more.
  • I have tinted windows. At night time when you combine that with a self-dimming rear mirror - it's pretty dark back there. I turn it off and can see just fine. It's just when I turn the car off and start it again, the mirror is back at it's self-dimming mode. I don't dislike the feature - just let me control it some more.

That makes sense - I didn't think of that since I don't have tinted windows. Actually, I'm surprised you can't turn it off. In my RL, and other cars I've driven with this feature, there's a button on the mirror that turns it off. Since it's electrically activated, I would guess you could disable it even if there's not button to turn it off.