Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 1,283
    Another one -

For 2007, Infiniti has packaged options together so that in order to get HIDs on the M35x, you have to not only purchase the Tech Pkg, but also the Advanced Tech Pkg. So, the $800 stand-alone HID option requires the addition of $5,500 of other extras, including nav, surround sound, lane departure, etc.

HIDs should be standard on such a car, or at least an easily attainable stand-alone option.

Seems to me BMW does a pretty good job at letting you pick and choose. Most things can be ordered on their own, and are not tied to other options or packages.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Dewey's link fixed (again) Mercedes-Benz E 320 BLUETEC (USA).

Dewey, I'm gonna start billing you for doing this. ;)
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Yikes I heard those link Url repair bills can be quite hefty. ;)

Thanks for fixing it. I will be more careful next time.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Exactly.

I have this pipe dream (along with a diesel 3 series wagon available in North America within a year or two) that, in my lifetime, all options will be available a-la-carte & the vehicle will be delivered in 8-16 days, not weeks. The technology exists today for all of it (with an allowance for transport time).

For now, part of the reason BMW, Audi & MB may enjoy some sales/leasing advantage over the Asians is the ability to (more nearly) tailor the vehicle to what's wanted. As most of us know here, the Germans rarely offer packages of options -- pick what you want.

The Asians. . .not so much. Yet their systems are probably more capable of delivering the right tire/wheel/audio/suspension/color/interior combination without fail & quickly. OTOH, they have learnt that the lowest common denominator is the way to the best ROI.
    have this pipe dream (along with a diesel 3 series wagon available in North America within a year or two)

A diesel BMW wagon? It's so nice to know that there is at least one other person in North America that shares my pipe dream.

I wonder if we will ever find a third person with such a pipe dream.;)
    Probably, but it'll take a lot more than 3 of us. The next few years should be interesting in terms of who offers what in the way of diesel options.
  • Diesels put out higher NOx (acid rain) and particulates (carcinogens) than gasoline engines, so they face significant hurdles in meeting U.S. emission requirements. Even the brand new Mercedes diesel system will not meet California and Northeast U.S. emission standards without a separate urea system that is currently not commercial and will require refilling by the user.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    If I remember the article correctly, the ammonia compound is used at about 1/100 ounce per gallon of fuel. The tank is sized so that you typically need the vehicle serviced before it runs dry. It doesn't seem like it is a big deal. Don't know what it costs, but it shouldn't be a bunch. You could probably refill yourself, if you wanted, but there is no need to do it on a very regular basis.
  • Another interesting article about diesel vs gasoline in the Globe and Mail
    link title
    Thanks 2001gs430,

I read the article yesterday. This is a pretty good argument for diesels. Although I dont think BMW diesels will sell at cheaper prices than equivalent gasoline models in N. America. The new emissions technology required for diesels will make diesels a bit more costly here than in Europe.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,842
    A large national newspaper is doing a story on how cars increasingly are computers. The reporter is looking for people with cars that have had difficulty getting repaired because of the knowledge needed to fix them or the code requirements needed to fix are often not provided to non-dealers, or the cost to fix was outrageous. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 13, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you currently own and the issue.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Can anyone chime in on whether they think this $1,200 option is worth it? I just factory ordered a 2007 530xi )with satellite radio) and I'm now having misgivings that I didn't order premium sound. It might not be too late. Opinions ASAP? Thanks.
  • brodsky,

I recently discussed with two different dealers about a 2007 525i, and both told me that the Prem. Sound pkg is no longer available. The available pkg is the base stereo or Logic 7. Prem. pkg included the 6 disc changer w/ Logic 7, now its just Logic 7 w/o changer. If you want the changer you have to request that the dealer install it later. (possibly w/ an extra charge) Ask your dealer if they got memo sometime around June or August concerning this issue.
    For what its worth, 13 speakers (2 of which are sizeable subwoofers) seems worth it; especially if you enjoy listen to music at a level of high quality.

Good Luck.
  • The direct answer is yes. The stock system leaves much to be desired. One of the reasons that I got a 2007 E350 was because it has a Prologic system that in my opinion is even better than the 5 series Prologic system. The Benz also comes standard with the CD changer. With an Ipod connection and Sat radio, it is not essential but it is nice to have. I think that BMW quit offering the CD changer since it took up alot of valuable space in the glove box. The Benz changer is built into the dash but you would never find it if you did not know where to look.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Here is a interesting comparo of the European "Honda Legend" and the A6 and 5-Series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260KL9nls30

M
    A little bit off topic here, but you guys were talking about diesel, well here is an Audi diesel to end all diesels:

Audi is proud to present a world first – the first twelve-cylinder diesel engine in a series passenger car. This six-litre V12 makes its debut in the Audi Q7. It produces a colossal 500 PS and 1,000 Nm of torque. With this engine Audi has opened a new chapter in diesel history.

The V12 TDI is reminiscent of the engine featured in the new R10 Le Mans racing car – it catapults the driving performance of the Audi Q7 into the echelons of top-class sports cars. The car sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in just 5.5 seconds, and has an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h. Maximum torque is available from just 1,750 rpm. The high-tech diesel engine, with the world’s first 2,000 bar Bosch Common Rail system, provides the high-performance Audi SUV with superior power reserves in any situation. The impressive sound of the new Audi is provided by the ultra-modern piezo-injection system. The V12 TDI transmits this power through a new six-speed tiptronic gearbox to the quattro permanent four-wheel drive system.

Good Lord is all I can say!

Full Article

M
  • . . .and, hopefully, you know the next part of the song.

From Thursday morning until Sunday noon, my wife and I spent most of our waking hours at the BMW Performance Driving School near Greenville, SC (Greer, SC.)

Some of you may know my personal passion for manual transmissions -- and BMW makes some of the best, of that there is much consensus. But, some of you may have gleaned that my wife is beyond passionate about manuals. She switched brands, from Audi to BMW -- for at the time (mid 2005) there were no new A4 Audis with stick shifts (Audi's loss.)

I watched (and participated) in two days of driving exercises in a class with two instructors and only 6 students -- and I watched my wife actually announce to the class (after having noted before the class the opposite) that an automatic BMW is NOW on her list.

The auto has come a long way, baby, for this to happen.

Imagine, if you will, there were NO manual transmission BMW's to be found in the entire performance center (or if they were there, they were certainly off limits to students.) I expected the auto to dominate in quantity here in Auto-America, but NO sticks?!

Now, nearly a year a half later with my 6 speed tiptronic experience and [now] two days worth of driving BMW V8 equipped cars with autos -- I am (and my wife is too) ALMOST to the place where I can imagine an auto trans equipped car is not some sort of punishment for some past misdeed, or almost feel that nothing is being given up with an automatic.

They could've drugged us, but I doubt it.

As I gather my thoughts and let the excitement wear down a bit, I will post the review of the experience over on the X3 forum.

Just like with the Audi driving experiences, though, I can't wait to go back to SC to drive someone else's cars doing things I would never imagine I could do in a car.

P.S. Saw the new X5's pretty much up close and personal.

P.P.S Our primary instructor spent the first 10 minutes of our classroom experience explaining his recent experience with BMW's turbo diesel motor and explaining that we would see a lot of the BMW lineup offer diesel motivation. The small but enthusiastic crowd cheered.

:shades:
    P.P.S Our primary instructor spent the first 10 minutes of our classroom experience explaining his recent experience with BMW's turbo diesel motor and explaining that we would see a lot of the BMW lineup offer diesel motivation. The small but enthusiastic crowd cheered.

Now THAT is excellent news. Any timing?
    Based on the R & T October edition there is no mention of an upcoming twin turbo 535i series?

I find that somewhat strange especially when there is a twin turbo BMW 335 coupe and sedan?
  • In the not too distant future we will see diesels and X3's built in America and even the engines mfgr'd here, so said our instructor.

When?

"In the not too distant future."

If I said anymore, I'd have to make it up.
  • markcincinnati, they generally don't use manual transmissions in those schools because they would be changing clutches after each class. They would rather you burn out your own clutch!

Sounds like that was a lot of fun anyway ........ one of these days my wife will be giving me one of those for my birthday!
  • This is my fifth class and the first one that used automatics.

Full disclosure: the first four were actually IN Germany/Austria.

I mean, c'mon, they are BMW's -- and I am of the [former]persuasion who would [past tense] remark: why get a BMW if you are NOT getting a manual?

Before you attack that remark, do recall that I am driving an A6 6speed tiptronic. However, at THAT time, I woulda got a stick would one have been offered in that class car WITH AWD. Alas, no 530xi was "on sale" on June 23rd, 2005.

NOW, however, I think I am either a kool aid drinker or the new breed of 6, 7 and 8 speed autos have all but banished the problems I can all well attest to with EVERYONE's 5 speed autos (at least everyone's from Europe!)

Sorry if you own one, it is one person's opinion.

My 2003 allroad was quite possibly my last stick shift.

On the bright side -- I am becoming of a mind where I can actually think I might NOT even miss it other than for completely "joy of driving" (via shifting) reasons. Other benefits may -- probably -- offset the drawbacks.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    NOW, however, I think I am either a kool aid drinker or the new breed of 6, 7 and 8 speed autos have all but banished the problems I can all well attest to with EVERYONE's 5 speed autos (at least everyone's from Europe!)

Infiniti's rev matching 5-speed is VERY good for an autobox. The new TL TypeS also offers a 5-speed, paddle-shifted rev matching automatic. I don't think its the 5-speeds thats the problem.
    Based on the R & T October edition there is no mention of an upcoming twin turbo 535i series?

I find that somewhat strange especially when there is a twin turbo BMW 335 coupe and sedan?

That will likely have to wait until the 5-Series facelift, probably next spring as early 08' models.

M
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Not to mention a 300HP 530i would severely cannibalize 550i sales at this point.
    Not to mention a 300HP 530i would severely cannibalize 550i sales at this point.

Good point. In the 3 series categorty a 335i will not cannibalize sales from the new V8 M3.

After hundreds of test drives I've never felt as excited about buying a car as the BMW335i. I hope I can negotiate a reasonable deal this week.
    That will likely have to wait until the 5-Series facelift, probably next spring as early 08' models.

No need yet for such a face lift with the 5 series outselling the E Class.

Also I would like to point out that we are soon approaching the deadline for our E Class vs. 5 series sales bet. I am kind of disappointed that this was only a gentlemen's bet with no legal tender wagered. ;)
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419

At least in BMW's case the 550i would still have more horsepower. The 2007 GS430 has 290hp with the new SAE spec. The GS350 has 303hp. According to Lexus, 0-60 is identical between the two, 5.7 seconds, and 1\4 mile times are also an identical 14.2 seconds. The GS430 starts at a little over $8K more. For that you get... uh..
    No need yet for such a face lift with the 5 series outselling the E Class.

Ha, ha Dew!

Also I would like to point out that we are soon approaching the deadline for our E Class vs. 5 series sales bet. I am kind of disappointed that this was only a gentlemen's bet with no legal tender wagered.

Yeah can you feel me sweating? I'm starting to cringe as I read the sales reports, but I won't lose faith until Jan 1 and the sales figures are released! ;)

M
    That makes me think there will be a 2008 GS460 on sale around Jan 2007, there has to be IMO. The GS lineup doesn't make sense as it stands for "2007".

M