Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Exterior: A6
    Interior: M45
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I have always felt a similar way as you and lexusguy about the RL's center stack, but I certainly wasn't going to be the first to say it! :blush: At least, not in this forum. All the buttons and switchgear on it look cheap and dated. Come to think of it, they feel that way, too. However, barring the bargain basement center stack, the RL overall has a quite attractive interior. :shades:
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    It's attractive, but it doesnt quite measure up to the other cars in the class in terms of looking and feeling like a real luxury car. Its fine at `$40K, but I dont think Acura could expect to get $50K+ for a V8 version (if one was offered). I think the RL's interior level is closer to the Passat 3.6 than the A6.
  • Myself and other RL lovers have resigned ourselves to the fact that we are in the minority as far as this awesome car goes. The sales certainly reflect a minority as well.
    However, and I don't mean to be offensive, but it seems a bit silly to rag so much on the RL looking like an Accord when there is so many styling similarities in the following
    Toyota Avalon/Lexus GS...The roof line and the trunk.
    Audi A6 {which I love but has nothing to do with styling}/Volkswagen Passat...Body lines, trunk, oh hell the whole thing.
    Infiniti M/G35-Nissan Maxima-Altima... Body lines, hood, not the trunk but the tail lights.
    Just my two cents, and I'm sure most don't see it. I sigh to myself, and look lustfully out the window at my brother-in-laws beautiful 05 RL. :confuse:
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    You know what, the wheels are the only real difference I think. Like a lot of designs in the last few years, the M is wheel and color dependent to look its best IMO. Yes just the Sport model is what I'm thinking about. The optional aero kit looks ok, a lot better than the RL's "A-Spec" stuff, IMO.

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Oh my, they do look similar don't they!

M
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Nice Post dhamilton, a good reply...
    simply put and unoffensive.

"Tis the day before Christmas
    and all through the house
    not a creature was stirring
    except maybe Merc1's mouse."

:) Merry Christmas everyone! :)
  • Thank you jjacura, and a truly merry Christmas to all and a happy holidays
  • I like the RL very much and will be going in this week to battle the dealers for one. Can someone in the know tell me how many units they did sell last year. I assume they will tell me that it is a hot car and they cannot do invoice or close.

Interesting how one comes to make choices at this level car. I test drove rl, m35 , gs300. I like the RL best for one simple reason. In my opinion it has the nicest interior. The interior is the part of the car I see the most. I initially was enthralled be the pep of the M and actually own a Jag 4.2. As almost all of my driving is around the streets of my hometown I have concluded I just dont need all that power that the Jag has and what I need is more creature comforts and better technology. You guys ever sit in the seats of a Jag. I think the leather chairs at Starbucks are higher quality. Another expensive lesson learned. You are never too old to learn.

Thanks for your help if you have that stat for me. I want to whip it out when they hit me with that baloney about how hot the car is.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Actually, the RL is not setting the charts on fire at all. It usually fights the Audi A6 for last place in the segment (and often loses), and wont deliver the 20,000\yr that Honda was expecting. The last time I was at the local Acura shop, there was at least 15 of them sitting on the lot. I dont think you'll have any trouble getting a good deal.
    Interesting report, and I think for the most part dead-on, although personally I would reverse the positions of the A6 and M.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    And I would unsurprisingly reverse the positions of the BMW and Audi.
    Yeah they basically said the same thing as in a lot of other reviews, great car, too much $. But as Mark has said at length, when you lease, the picture changes. How many people are really paying $70k for a 550?
  • I had my eyes on the M35, but after reading this forum, I included the RL as an option, only because with discounts it was close to the cost of a M35. I had the opportunity to live with each for a week and that clinched it for me. The RL was more comfortable, had a much nicer interior, and the best ergonomics of its audio/gps system. I bought one a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. Don'tknow their sales number, but with the discounts offered it can't be as high as they would like. :)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    They may not be paying $70k but they are paying $1000 a month on a 36 month lease; not exactly chump change.
    To pay $36k and then have nothing to show for it after 3 years.
    Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Stories like yours trickle in and make me feel good. I know you have to really be excited. Another guy that ended up buying the RL after making difficult comparos...That's great. Congratulations Phil... :)
    Maybe somebody can come forward and really NAIL the reason it's better to lease but I have yet to be convinced why.
  • I don't have a hard financial answer for leasing, but I will take a swing.
    1. Because it depreciates so quickly. I have no desire to make two payments on a car, one to credit union, one to mechanic.
    2. For some a car is more than just a tool. Driving is a hobby as well as recreation. Do you have a hobby that requires money? Do you always buy the thing that makes the most financial sense.
    3. Just because you sell a car after paying it off doesn't neccisarily mean you've made money. Repairs, time off to take care of service all add up to money. There is still a cost to operate regardless of leasing or buying.
    I'm not going to say leasing makes more sense than buying all the time for everyone. I will say that for me a car is an investment in my happiness. Cars are a blast. Vacations are a depreciating asset {especially in Vegas} but they do a body good.
    Not for everyone but it's for me ;)
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    Here is a simple reason. The residual value of my 2005 545 (MSRP $64,220, 3/15K lease) is $38K. By the lease end the real life wholesale price for the car will be around $29K at best. So, what we have: $9K savings on residual only + 2.3K sales tax savings. Plus no accident related (if any) value loss. Plus no upsets by small dents, scratches. Plus new car every 3 years. What more to ask for.