Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    When I get my first HDTV soon, I do believe I will switch to satellite.
    Everytime I fly on the only decent airline out there in the USA, JetBlue, I am amazed at how clear the Direct TV feed is on such a small screen. Intoxicating!

No doubt about it-with the sorry state of commercial FM radio today, I have and will be continuing to bypass my E60's radio in favor of my extensive CD collection. I won't be paying for satellite radio anytime soon.
  • Sat radio is bound to kill AM and FM unless they do something.

I am on my third HDTV since 1999 and it, too, just keeps improving. HBO and Discovery in HD are amazing.

I am watching SURFACE as I type this from my HDTV Tivo in 1080i with full AC3 surround sound.

The content from Sirius is wonderful, the fidelity, decent and with the BOSE system, the surround sound is addicting.

I even listen to AM rebroadcasts in Sirius due to the sound quality.

XM, too, I understand is an epiphany.

Directv or cable isn't free either.

There is room for all this content.

No commercials are cool too.
  • XM, too, I understand is an epiphany.

XM is wonderful. The main thing I like about it is I'm not limited to my CD collection (and I don't have to cart around a case of CDs) and I'm always discovering new artists I've never heard of.
    I am usually the last kid on my block to buy into whatever the latest technological innovation is-in this case HDTV.
    Next issue of CR, which should be out in a few days, should have some new reviews of the latest sets.

Speaking of commercials-so many on cable.
    Attempted to watch a movie on FX and gave up in disgust-7 minutes of commercials, 7 minutes of movie. To add insult to injury, the same commercials are shown over and over. Who devised this devilish form of torture? Is anyone running this station?

The local news station here-a feature of Bright House Networks which brags that you can't get on satellite-is a joke. Whenever I tune in, all I get is commercials.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Actually, Home Theater just reviewed six rear-projection 1080p HDTV sets this month. I wouldnt bother with CR for electronics, they don't know much more than the average Best Buy salesman.

The current leaders in digital rear-pros are Toshiba with DLP, and Sony with SXRD (they took 2nd and 1st place in the HT round up). HT mag gave a slight edge to the Sony, but the Toshibas come in around a grand cheaper. (Typical Sony inflated pricing).

As for plasmas, Panasonic and Pioneer are still the best. Flat panel LCDs continue to get better and cheaper, but unless you desperately need a hang on the wall set that can double as a computer monitor, Plasma still looks better and costs less.

The analog cut off date appears to have been pushed backwards again, probably until 2009, so there's still no rush just yet.
    Ouch!
    So Home Theater magazine seems to be what I should be looking at.
    Yes, I know Panasonic has been getting raves for plasma and Sony XBR for LCD.

Thanks for the info Lexusguy!
  • HD Tivo cures lots of the commercial issues. The best DLP's at the best prices are the latest and greatest non-1080p sets. Today there is no 1080p content -- if you go 1080p, however, there will, eventually be such content, but today you will pay more.

Bigger is better, generally. Start at 60" -- if you've the space.

===== Back to the subject:

Why do these LPS cars with their screens mid dash, truncate the info from Sat Radio? There is plenty of room left to display all the info apparently. Is this a manufacturer's call or the broadcaster's call?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I think it's a broadcast thing. Notice that RDS info on "free" radio scrolls, but satellite info is truncated. Why not scroll the satellite info?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Have you considered Phatnoise?

http://www.phatnoise.com/

:)

-Paul
    It will scroll. Well, it does on my Alpine head unit in my Jeep.

-Paul
    Your satellite radio song/artist info scrolls? Is that a factory unit or aftermarket?
    Aftermarket. :) My Jeep came with am/fm radio. No cd and only 2 speakers. I've fixed that. hehe

I believe those vehicles with displays like iDrive will show the entire song and artist w/o having to scroll. That's what my friend with the new BMW tells me. Markincincinnati has satellite radio in his Audi, so maybe he can chime in on how MMI handles it.

-Paul
  • MMI (Sirius) Truncates the text. Wife's 2005 BMW X3 with Nav system and 16x9 screen also truncates.
    Screen has plenty of room, makes little sense to me.
  • vchiuvchiu Posts: 565
    > 1) No manual transmission... Damn shame that.

well , Alpina want to position it with comfort in mind. the auto box is coming from ZF, so it should be a pretty decent unit. the available torque should solve many issues anyway.

My choice car would be a 7 series with the same engine, the B7. more tests reports on www.alpina.de

My choice car would not have all the Alpina spoiler and gimmicks. i would look like a stock BMW.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "well , Alpina want to position it with comfort in mind."

Well, in my mind at least, there's nothing so comfortable as well engineered slick shifting manual transmission with an honest to goodness clutch pedal. ;-)

"the auto box is coming from ZF, so it should be a pretty decent unit. the available torque should solve many issues anyway."

It could be the finest automatic transmission in the worls (ala. Audi DSG) and I still wouldn't want it. IMHO, no luxury perfomance car should be offered without at least a manual gearbox option. Apparently BMW agrees as they've reversed themselves on the new M5 and are now going to offer a version with three pedals.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I think the true manual option is only for the States.
  • Shipo, couldn't agree with you more. Even the S4's over at the Audi dealer are just as likely to come with 6M and 6A anymore. :cry:

Even worse at the BMW dealer where only ordered cars come with the stick shifts. Once in a blue moon it is possible to find one that a customer ordered and passed on -- there was, as I recall ONE 525xi so equipped.

Back in the day the Audi dealer would order one or two stick shifts totally stripped "as if" someone would want the stick but no premium or sound packages.

Speaking only for myself, Shipo, I am a dinosaur. The DSG or SMG may be super sweet; ditto the Mercedes 7 speed auto -- but the "p" stands for something doesn't it?

If the upcoming B8 Audi A4 actually comes with a manual option (as does the current BMW 330xi) I may be in my last Luxury "performance" Sedan.

My wife is now worried the next gen X3 will only come without a clutch.

I keep hoping this "ain't so."

I do wonder, however, if this is market driven. If the main purpose of offering the 3's and 5's with stick shifts is to say "we offer stick shifts" well, what are we going to do?

I believe it would be darn near impossible to go to the BMW store and find a 530i or xi with a stick to test drive.

If you find one here in Cincinnati, I would assume the dealer cap cost reduction would be huge just to get rid of it (at least based on what they tell me, which seems "eeewwww who would want a stick shift.")

Crying, screaming voices in the wilderness, Shipo: you and me. :confuse:

Truth be told, I am not confused -- the market, apparently has spoken.

As Firesign Theater once said, "I said live it or live with it!"
    "I think the true manual option is only for the States."

For the moment at least, I believe that you are correct. I must then ask the question, "Why is BMW providing a manual gearbox for the North American market only?" Of course given the rhetorical nature of the question I'll now provide y'all with an answer: DEMAND!

My bet is that other countries will follow suit. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I do believe (maybe naively so) that there is something that we can do. Over on the 3-Series and 5-Series boards a few of us three pedal stalwarts have convinced a fair number of folks to opt for a manual gearbox over a Steptronic or SMG. If we can just keep getting the word out about the pleasures of having a heightened level of involvement with the driving experience, I think (hope?) more folks will opt to stir their own. It's kind of like a pyramid scheme, sell a few, have them sell a few, and have those sell a few more...

Regarding BMW dealers and sticks, the dealership that I ordered my 328i through told me that over 50% of the 3-Series cars they sell are manuals, and over 20% of the 5-Series cars are so equipped. Of course this was seven years ago and so maybe the numbers have changed somewhat, however, more recently the dealership where I ordered my 530i through told me a different story. When I turned said 530i in at lease end, my now local dealership (I've moved to a different state) couldn't wait to get their hands on my 530i 5-Speed, SP, PP, Xenon, Premium Audio car and CPO it for their lot. Why? "Because," according to them, "it will command a higher price than a like equipped car with an automatic." Sure enough, they were correct, they sold my three year old car for only $7,000 less than my ED price!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    "If we can just keep getting the word out about the pleasures of having a heightened level of involvement with the driving experience, I think (hope?) more folks will opt to stir their own. It's kind of like a pyramid scheme, sell a few, have them sell a few, and have those sell a few more..."

Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking. I've taken out a Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa for a test drive every year its been on the market. The first year, the SMG was pretty crude, and they told me most people bought the stick. Now, the SMG is very slick, even in full-auto mode. Just about all of the jerkiness from those year one cars is gone. The Cambiocorsa option is also a lot more popular now, so I'm told.