Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Perhaps this motor will also find a home in the A6, before the next update of that model?

I read that it was supposed to slot in the middle of the A6 range, replacing the old 2.7T. Audi has to know that their 265hp 3.1L really isn't enough these days.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Has anyone ever used BG 44K fule additive or BG MOA oil additive? If so, are they any good?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Some folks swear by BG products, however, many other folks (me included) regard these products as snake oil, products designed to separate folks from their money. FWIW, the odds on bet is that your Owner's Manual clearly recommends that no oil and fuel additives are to be used on your car at all. Why do you suppose that is?

The fact is that the individuals that designed and built your engine designed it to run hundreds of thousands of miles with just the recommended maintenance, and the use of after market additives will, if anything, be at least as much of a detriment to that engine as they will be as a benefit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • your Owner's Manual clearly recommends that no oil and fuel additives are to be used on your car at all. Why do you suppose that is?

Funny thing, the Owner's Manual for my 550i says just that... not to use additives. Yet BMW makes an additive for the gas. I think it has more to do with getting customers to buy a car company's own additives vs. others. Personally I have had some really good results with BG products.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,364
    Honda has announced the recall of 43,000 Acura RL sedans. The recall — which affects 2005-2008 model year cars — is due to a faulty power steering hose that can crack and leak fluid onto the catalytic converter, possibly leading to fire.

Earlier this year, Honda recalled 182,756 Civic sedans, making it one of the most recalled automakers of 2007.

Despite the recent recalls, Honda still maintains one of the lowest recall rates in the industry.

Regards,
    OW
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    As a manufacturer starts seriously pumping out cars there will always be recalls made because of the big numbers of cars produced. It's just the law of averages.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Don't know what addatives they suggest, but one that comes to mind is a gas addative to take care of moisture in the gasoline. Depending on where you live, the temperatures, and the quality of the gasoline, it is very possible to have moisture that could lead to a frozen gas line. Areas where they are adding alcohol to the gasoline already are not likely to need it, though.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    Especially if the alcohol is GlenLivet 18 year old single malt Scotch...:):):)...man, I just slay me...
    I use Johnnie Walker Blue to reduce any moisture!

Regards,
    OW
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    Blue???...hey, you're too rich for my tastes...the best Johnny Walker I ever had was Gold, which, I believe, is 18 years old...
    The Blue is stunningly smooth and satisfying. It is worth the $175.

Regards,
    OW
  • Thanks to everyone for their feedback! This is a great forum.

After a lot of research and legwork, I ordered a BMW 535xi. It was the first car I test drove and nothing I tested after it put the same smile on my face. I was a bit hesitant about getting a car with the iDrive system, so I focused on it the second time I test drove the 535. I found that I really enjoyed the way the iDrive worked, but the menus are slightly confusing. That will just take a bit of time to learn, but shouldn't be the problem that reviewers make it out to be. It might have something to do with my being comfortable using computers.

The actual testing and buying experience was more pleasant than I expected - for the most part. The BMW salesperson, and everyone I dealt with at BMW Gallery in Norwell, MA were great. I got a great price on the car and was happy with the trade-in amount they offered for my Camry. The salesperson actually talked me out of a few high priced options I was considering, and in hindsight, he was correct. Plus, I have heard good things about the BMW Galleries service department.

The worst experience was at Herb Chambers Lexus - high pressure sales and they called me at home at least 5 times after I test drove the GS350. I got the feeling that they would tell you anything to make a sale.
    og, best of luck with your 535xi. It is a really great car and please let us know what you think about your driving experience.

Regards and Happy Holidays,
    OW
  • Thanks OW, and happy holidays to you and yours! I will keep the forum updated. This is the first time I have ordered a car - the waiting period (6-8 weeks) is a little bit like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid ;)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,579
    Congrats on the car. You'll love it. My ordered car was in my grips within 6-7 weeks and was well worth waiting for.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all !!
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124676

"What this means to you: It still can't run with the big dogs, but..."

Will it matter?
    "What this means to you: It still can't run with the big dogs, but..."

Will it matter?

I would say no. I think they've made it look worse and even more Accord like than before. That MDX grill does not help the front end. Unfortunately that's also probably what the next TL will look like from the front. This will help the RL better compete with the other big sixes in the class like the GS350 and the 535i, but it still is no match for the V8s. I also don't see fuel economy improving without an extra cog.
  • I wish the RL's were more competitive with BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi. It is too bad they just keep turning out models that aren't that different from the Accord.
    I wish the RL's were more competitive with BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi. It is too bad they just keep turning out models that aren't that different from the Accord.

There's only so much you can do with a shared platform. The BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi are all riding on bespoke gear. Each offers several engine and drivetrain choices as well. Acura's "one size fits all" approach worked more for them when their cars were several thousand less than the competition. Now that they are approaching parity though, customers want more choice and Acura can't deliver.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ...customers want more choice and Acura can't deliver.

They can deliver. They just refuse to do so. That has always been the Honda way. Try custom ordering one. The salesman will tapdance for an hour trying to "locate" one that meets your criteria (and actually send you on your way if he can't) instead of just ordering the dang thing.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,870
    LG, didn't the old Legend and maybe the original RL have its own chassis and then the Accord was adapted to it later? I have never been quite sure about this.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

LG, didn't the old Legend and maybe the original RL have its own chassis and then the Accord was adapted to it later? I have never been quite sure about this.

Good question. The original Legend wasn't related to the Accord, and I'm not entirely sure exactly how closely they relate currently. The Vigor/TL though was based directly on the Accord from day one, which is why new TLs always come a year after new Accords.
  • art234art234 Posts: 103
    The Vigor was indeed based on the European version of the Accord back in the early 90's. The first two generations of Legend were on their own platform. I had an '88 Legend Coupe (should have kept it!), and a '91 Legend sedan-first year of the new body...it was nice, but I believe Acura was all downhill from there.

I drove the RL and GS before buying the M35X I have now. The GS was small inside and had limited trunk space, and I did it before the 350 came out. The RL was just lackluster, and in my opinion did not justify the cost.

That said, the Lexus dealership here on Long Island was the most professional of all of them, and the Infiniti service is on par with a Nissan service center, not Lexus.

Owning both a Lexus and Infiniti (wife has RX400h), there is a clear difference in service philosophy, but both cars are running well and relatively problem free.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    Funny... I owned a 1992 Acura Vigor GS. It was my first "luxury" car. It was also my last Acura because it was absolutely the most unreliable car that I've ever driven of any kind manufactured on any continent.

This thread brings back memories of endless visits to the shop and of tow trucks hauling my Vigor from the middle lane of the highway in rush hour traffic because it happened to rain that morning, which stopped the Vigor dead in its tracks.

And let's not forget that the Vigor put the torque in the term "torque steer" for front wheel drive vehicles. You easily could end up in a ditch on the side of the road if you didn't keep a firm grip on the steering wheel during hard acceleration by its inline 5 cylinder engine, which I believe made a whopping 176 hp if I recall correctly.

Way to make a first impression, Acura.

I realize that was 16 years ago and one of the first Japanese forays into the luxury market along with the Legend. But I do note that early model BMWs can be considered "classics" while early model Acuras are... junk?

But my disgust with Acura lead me to buy my first German car and I've never looked back. So for that, I thank Acura (and so should BMW and Audi.)
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    My daughter, who lives near Kalamazoo, MI, has always wanted to own a high-performance sedan. Several years ago, she had a chance to buy a used M-5, but bought a Bimmer convertible instead. Since the lease on her Bimmer is up June 1st, she is revisiting that muscle car itch again. She asked me to look around the Chicago area for one. I finally found a 2004 E55 AMG in the price range she wants at a dealership near my home. I went over and took it for a test drive. Needless to say, it ran like a rocketship. The car is in pristine condition with only 39,000 miles. I'd like to know if any E55 AMG owners could suggest looking for any particular problems with this vehicle. I know nothing about Mercedes-Benz cars except they're supposed to be well built, extremely reliable, and trouble free. Thanks.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Posts: 151
    I know nothing about Mercedes-Benz cars except they're supposed to be well built, extremely reliable, and trouble free.

This used to be true. Starting in the later 90's, however, the reliability of Benz automobiles has suffered greatly.

I had driven nothing but M-B's for nearly 25 years and found them to be totally reliable and built like tanks. That's why 50, 60, and 70 year old Benzes aren't all that rare. My first post '95 Benz was a 2000 CLK430 which had a few recurring electrical problems but none that totally soured me on the brand. The 2003 SL500 I purchased, however, was a different story. Truly an electrical nightmare which resulted in nearly every advanced system that M-B has implemented (ESP, ABS, SBS, ABC, etc) failing at least once during the time I drove the car. The problems were not limited just to electronics. The air conditioning failed, parts rattled, and many other "un-Mercedes" like things happened. I researched free CarFax reports online for 2003 SL's and found that a full 40% of those listings which included lines for service visits displayed problems like those found on my car. My frequent conversations with the service writers at my local dealership revealed that problems such as those I experienced were not limited to the SL model. Unfortunately, the problems were every bit as prevalent in AMG variants.

I would highly recommend that you carefully examine the complete service records of the car you are interested in and also suggest that you check to see if an extended maintenance agreement is available for the car. To give you an idea of how outrageously expensive repairs can become, my service writer estimated that had my repairs not been under warranty, I would have racked up over $15,000 in repair charges before I ever made it to the 5,000 mile mark.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    [quote] I would highly recommend that you carefully examine the complete service records of the car you are interested in [unquote]

I'm positive the warranty company will ask for the complete service records of the car before approving any extended maintenance agreement. My wife recently purchased an extended warranty for her 2000 Regal GS and the service manager told me he had to submit complete maintenance records to the warranty company.

[quote] and also suggest that you check to see if an extended maintenance agreement is available for the car. [unquote]

The salesman told me his dealership does offer extended warranties through a company that deals exclusively with Mercedes-Benz. He said that the premium is much lower if the used car has less than 40,000 original miles on it, which it does.

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply.
    I know nothing about Mercedes-Benz cars except they're supposed to be well built, extremely reliable, and trouble free.

2002 - 2006 or so are the riskiest years for any used Mercedes product. Just absolutely horrendous quality that Mercedes is only now starting to recover from. Mercedes during that time had more lemon law buybacks than every other luxury car company combined.

I would suggest considering an '04 or '05 Jaguar XJR. They are very quick, quite affordable, and unlike the E-class, reliable.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180

They have not been any of those three things in about 15 years. Since around 2000 they have even been relegated to "junk bond" status.