Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Maybe its just me, but I don't understand the X6 at all. It's like a 335xi coupe with monster truck tires. The proportions are all wrong, and of course the pricing is ridiculous.

Well put. My feelings about this, um, thing are similar. It's the answer to a question that no one has asked.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I must be missing something ;)
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    The spec sheet for the new Audi A4 says there's 40" of front headroom. Has anyone sat in one - is it really that much? My guess is that that value is without the sunroof, but, all of the trim levels INCLUDE the sunroof, so you could never get one without in the US, anyways. Way back when, I ordered an A6 without because it had nearly 3" more headroom and fit me fine. Couldn't get the wanted options in the current version if ordered without a sunroof, so I bought something else with more headroom. Might think about it, but wondered if anyone knows...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A large local newspaper would like to speak with consumers who currently owns or owned an Acura. The reporter wants to discuss why you stayed with Acura or decided on another luxury brand as your next vehicle. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• . . .must be passe, based on activity level here on this board.

Well, what the heck, I, too am no longer in the LPS life or lane, I am, er, in the NEAR LPS crowd, now that I have my, er, $49,000 "entry level" LPS Audi A4 (and the thing has a 4 cylinder in it to top it off.)

I must say, however, that I have sacrificed little. My outgoing A6 (2005) was about an inch longer in wheel base and perhaps 5 inches longer in overall length. Audi wisely widened the new A4 too, so even tho it isn't quite as wide as the outgoing A6, I don't miss it one bit.

Now, I am in a lighter, better balanced and more powerful car (258 pound feet of torque at sub 1,900 rpm vs 243 at over 3,200.) Of course the new ride is lighter, has RWD biased AWD, 19" wheels full sport everything and Bang & Olufsen 550watt sound system and "four golden rings," couldn't resist considering the upcoming season. The engine sips gas and with all the stuff at this price point, I even get the Audi Drive Select system and Blind Spot warning, backup camerat and an automatic power rear window sunshade.

Sport seats, sport suspension, sport this that and the other thing -- great great great sound system and paddle shifters, bi-xenons, full voice command and a much improved map system for the DVD nav (next guy will get the hard drive and new MMI). The CD player is an in dash changer which is a nice step up from the outgoing A6.

In any case, I dropped from a $53K+ car to a $49K car as equipped. I have made a major step forward in engine, handling, transmission, sound system and overall comfort.

I did not get a heated steering wheel, rear heated seats or a power actuated steering column (all of which I would expect for this much money.) I also had to buy my own tail pipe tips to round out the upscale look of a brilliant white paint job with 5 spoke 19" wheels with 255 wide tires on a 35 series shoulder.

This thing is seriously fast and quick -- and the smoothness defies and belies that it is a four cylinder powerplant. If fours can be made this smooth and this powerful and this frugal, who needs a six? (Well, the new supercharged V6 would probably change my mind in about 4.5 seconds, eh?)

This is the quietest car I have ever had -- and remember I have had an A8.

In full on dynamic mode, this thing is painfully capable of making you think "sports sedan." I keep it dialed down ONE notch from full on dynamic mode. I keep all the other modes, however, at full tilt boogie.

One dollar more per month on the lease than the outgoing A6. I had had the C6 A6 for 60,000 miles and it still felt new to me. I hope the same can and will be said about the new A4 which I leased for 50,000 miles (up 5K from the outgoing A6.)

I was considering the Infiniti G35X (which seemed cramped) and a 3 series BMW (ditto), an outgoing A6 was offered at a super sweet deal, but this 2009 A4 beats even my patriotic CTS choice -- by far.

So, I bid you all, as it were, a fare thee well and will be checking back from time to time to see if there is any activity here in LPS land.

Drive it like you live.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,903
    Congrats, and if that thing is not an LPS I don't know what is.

My LS 430 and LX 470 really don't qualify but I really like reading the posts here so I hope it livens back up. Keep us posted on how the two of you are getting along. :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    This thing is seriously fast and quick -- and the smoothness defies and belies that it is a four cylinder powerplant. If fours can be made this smooth and this powerful and this frugal, who needs a six? (Well, the new supercharged V6 would probably change my mind in about 4.5 seconds, eh?)

That's what makes me wonder what Audi will do with the A4 3.2. Will they replace it with the 3.0T, and then have the S4 with the same engine and not that much more power? Or will they leave it with the 3.2 V6 and be at a competitive disadvantage with Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, etc. who are all offering 300+hp V6s for the same money as the 3.2?
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    My last car was an A6 that I special ordered without a sunroof to the extra (2.85") of headroom over the readily available units with one. I fit handily in that car, but since that year, you couldn't get many of the nice bits unless it had a sunroof, so I went elsewhere for a new car. The spec sheet for the 2009 A4 shows more front seat headroom by a couple inches than before. I was wondering if they measured one without a sunroof. Any clue how much there is in reality?
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Mark,

It is great to hear from you. Enjoy the new ride.

Kevin
  • I read that the S4 (upcoming) will be at the price point of the 335xi sedan. My car, all equipped as it is, is priced content wise a tiny bit less than a 328xi (and the Audi has a lot more content than is offered in the 328xi, so the A4 actually seems quite a bit more car for the $.) The RS4 will be the M3 rival and as for the 3.2, I'll bet they'll be awfully difficult to move if the prospective customer has a chance to test drive the 2.0TFSI back to back with the 3.2FSI variant.

The only thing the 3.2 has on the 2.0 is a bit sweeter sound -- but the A4 is so quiet it is really hard to make that argument worth $3,000 -- especially since the 2.0T gets better mileage and is quicker due to its greater and more instantaneous torque.

There has been an argument put forth that demonstrates a 328xi equipped EXACTLY like an A4 3.2 are even close enough in price to not get the 3.2 to be put up against the 335xi.

I am pleased -- but I really liked the A6; and it was the most reliable car ever as far as I am concerned. 60,000 miles and it felt "like new."
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Hey, it's markcincinatti! :) I was just asking if you were still alive a few days ago. I haven't seen one of your dissertations around here in months. Where've you been?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,588
    The car sounds awesome. Keep us apprised of your experience with it and the best of luck with it.
  • Hello to everyone, I am new to the forum and looking forward to the future!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    this here or directly in the Jag section, but the knowledge here may be broader...

One of my potential purchases in the future is a 2007 Jag XJ8...

Are they only repaired at Jag dealers, of which there are few, or can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

It may be a choice between a 2007 DTS or 2007 XJ8...both cars have great luxury and good performance and mpg, and they both started out new at $50-60 grand and can be had, I believe, for under $30K at the 2-3 year old point...

So, it comes down to dealer service...and if only Jag dealers can fix Jags, we only have 2 in Atlanta, and, since I drive thru Alabama on my way to Mississippi, where there may be fewer Caddy or Jag dealers, the thought that maybe Ford dealers can fix the Jag would mean it would be easier, since every town has a Ford dealer...

Thanks for any thoughts...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,588
    can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

I doubt that mechanics that service the Taurus and Focus are trained to work on a Jaguar; I would say NO.
    Are they only repaired at Jag dealers, of which there are few, or can any Ford dealer fix them as they were a division of Ford until bought by Tata...

For minor things like oil changes, any decent independent shop should be able to do the job. For warranty work or any kind of major service, take it to a Jag dealer. As for the DTS vs. the XJ, it's not even a contest. The DTS is a FWD relic with an ancient 4-speed automatic and and equally old engine and platform. The XJ has proper RWD a state of the art aluminum body, and one of the best 6-speed automatics in the world. Despite the bargain basement price, it commands just as much respect as an S-class or 7 series.
  • I don't think the two cars would compare well, more like a bear vs. a Jaguar.
    I am not sure how you arrived at those two choices but....IMO neither is a good choice. Take a look at a good Certified Pre Owned Lexus LS, something in the 2004-06 range. They can be had in that same price range plus you get a great warranty. Just drive one and you will understand.

Take a look at a good Certified Pre Owned Lexus LS, something in the 2004-06 range.

I second the LS recommendation if long term dependability is a top concern. Also, I know from experience that Toyota dealers will be able to service an LS.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    We still have our 05 A6 and it has been okay... first one was totalled. But this one has had issues with faulty trunk latch sensors, MMI got soaked by Coke, and the front end has the persistent grinding type noise when turning at low speeds. My wife is keeping it until she graduates college, then will consider something else. As much as she loves the Audi designs, the little nits with the electricals keep her from wanting another Audi OR VW.

-Paul
    the little nits with the electricals keep her from wanting another Audi OR VW.

The '05 A6 had a few issues, but the model has really improved and is now among the top in class. My S6 hasn't had any issues as of yet, and despite the Q5 being a brand new model, it's so much better than anything else in that class right now that I'm willing to take the risk.

I would highly recommend taking a look at the M35x though as an A6 alternative. It's almost as much fun to drive as the 5 series, and is the most reliable car in the mid-lux class.
  • I just picked up my new to me 2006 M35 last week after comparing some Lexus LS430 models. I chose the M35 based on driving issues and I am glad that I made that choice. The drive and interior appearance of this car is amazing, Lots of cool electronic options without appearing as though they were trying to impress anyone. I feel like the car was designed with me in mind personally. I am enjoying this car immensely and look forward to finding out even more . I believe that Infiniti is a really well kept secret with much of the driving public not brand aware. I would have had to put myself in that category, because it seems as though I kind of stumbled into finding this car and everyone else here knows what happens when you see the car that you really want. The Lexus is a beautiful car, very smooth, but maybe a bit too smooth and refined to have any real driving experience. The Lexus does make one feel rather princely though. I guess people on this forum do share a feeling of camaraderie since they have all come to the same conclusion.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A reporter from a large business magazine would like to speak with consumers who have held off purchasing a luxury vehicle because of the economic uncertainty or because you’re worried about the image a luxury car presents right now. If you’ve held off purchasing a luxury car, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, December 10.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I just picked up my new to me 2006 M35 last week after comparing some Lexus LS430 models.

Congrats on the new ride. While the G35 got the ball rolling, the '06 M put Infiniti on the map, taking down the 5 series in several high profile comparison tests. It's also (as I'm sure you've discovered) a great used by because the depreciation is steep and its so reliable. The next generation M37 and M50 will be extremely formidable, and should be keeping the Germans up at night.
    Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. I went thru the same decision making process recently but I decided on an 06 LS 430. The M is a great car also and it all just depends on personal preference.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

• I certainly understand choosing the LS430 because it was absolute luxury and it made me feel like my position in life had somehow been elevated.It was the epitome of a luxury ride, if only I could afford both cars, I would own both. The big V8 in the Lexsus is formidable and probably the finest luxury car in the world for the money. The M35 presents a more cocooned intimate ride with the large center console separating the front seat occupants. Congrats on your LS430 purchase as well
  • walt18walt18 Posts: 54
    I just test drove a 2009 genesis 4.6 tuesday and man that is a very nice ride from hyundai. One may think it is a cheap car but it really is not. The ride was very smooth and very quiet, the transmission shifts so quickly from first to 2nd gear but is smooth. I had my gas sipper in for service and I decided since I was going to be there for a minute why not test drive it. Lots of power I punched it with the esc switch on and WOW!!! that baby move out so fast I was expecting it to be a little slow do to it weight but nah they got it right. I turned the esc (traction control) off and punch it again and it got to 70 in 6.5 seconds,it was so quick that I got light headed.I think that it is under rated in the torque area 333lb ft.tq 375hp more like 350lbs ft.tq. Growing up driving trans am, camaro's and vettes this car has power close to them but it is not rated there you have to drive it for yourself to believe it the numbers on paper are a little off in the torque department for sure. It has at least 350lb ft.
  • I just test drove a 2009 genesis 4.6 tuesday and man that is a very nice ride from hyundai.

I agree with you. I test drove this car several weeks ago and was very impressed - especially for the price of about $42,000. My only disappointment with it is there is no all-wheel drive option.
  • walt18walt18 Posts: 54
    I would give them till the 2010 model for them to make an all-wheel drive model i'm pretty sure they are working on it now.