Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Good Luck. A true luxury car with all black circles on reliability per Consumer Reports. :lemon: Hopefully your experiences will be better than what the masses are reporting. Go on their forum and read the horror stories. They even have a discussion titled "My E-Class is a lemon."
  • Chill out guys. It's just a car..and by the way...good one. I test drove lexus, Infinity and Acura and nothing comes even close to MB or BMW....but..it's a matter of taste. I'm not saying get out from here if you drive Lexus . You sound like a child....silly child...
  • Consumer reports gave the M the highest score and that was one of the main reasons that made me buy the car, and then I had all kinds of problems with it,
    I am not saying that the M is a bad car but it is not the right car for me and honestly I don't miss it.maybe I was not so lucky but my experience with Infiniti was not that good.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Maybe "M" stands for misery and/or "M" stands for magnificant. It alwasy boils down to personal choice. I drive a Acura RL- tech, and I am most happy with it. And to me that is all that counts.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • April 2009 Consumer Reports recommends the E350 based on much improved reliability reports. E class '03-'08: 96 rated systems with 8 all black ones and 9 half black ones. While this is not good, it ain't that bad either. There are many, many more all red and half red circles as well. '08 had two half blacks only.
    Also, CR recommended the E350 along with the M35, Audi A6 and BMW 535i as good midsized luxury cars.
    BTW, April issue is the basis for all of their quarterly issues for the most part.
    In points, the E350 essentially scores second to M35 in its class and above 10 other cars. They rate two M's and two E350's.
    Should reliability be better than this. You bet.
    If you think you see lots of complaints on MB Forum, check out the Hyundai Azera and Genesis forums, as well as some others.
    BTW, CR is not all that accurate anyway due to the demographics of their subscribers, the inaccuracies of their surveying and the small sample for some models. I know, I am a member and for last two years had to ask them to send me the darn survey.
    Which brings up the question, if MB, BMW, et. al. are so bad and CR is so accurate, why do their members buy the cars?
    BTW I have looked real hard at the M and test driven three of them and evern with good offers, just don't like the car. Feel squeezed in, noisy and doesn't ride that well.
  • The E class has always been the work horse of the Benz line. Stray from that model either up or down, and quality control issues galore arise.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    I don't particularly like my M, and spent nearly $1k on soundproofing to make it less stressful on a long drive on the interstate (which helped, but it still isn't as quiet as the previous A6), but it was the only car I had enough headroom in. I looked at the MB new E-class, and it is too tight. Now, if I was bald, it wouldn't be a problem! Well, I don't like having to duck to see under the mirror or see a traffic light if you are first in line, but you get used to it after awhile. After a month of thinking about it, Mercedes US decided they wouldn't build one without a sunroof for me like they do in nearly any other country in the world. WIthout the sunroof, headroom goes from 37.9" to 41.3". I think if more people realized how much more open the car feels when you have more headroom, even if you don't really need it, they wouldn't covet the sunroof, what with the loss, and the extra weight high up and the $1K or more it costs (better spent on other, neater gagets!). Insurance costs are lower without a piece of glass in the roof, and it has to be stronger without it, too.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The E class has always been the work horse of the Benz line. Stray from that model either up or down, and quality control issues galore arise.

Not necessarily. The E class was one of the first to get MB's electronic brake system, which they later had to remove because it was so unreliable. All Mercedes models were terrible from around 2000-2006 or so, E class included. They are supposed to be better now.
  • That seems strange to me. Here in Tampa, Florida, on the road, I see G37 sedans two to one versus the current Acura TL. I hardly
    have seen the current TL on the road much around Tampa.
  • I hear you on that one, Houdini! I hate the sound of the 4 cylinders on start up because they sound so weak once you turn the ignition key.
  • Oh, Please! I actually agree with Lexusguy on the interior of the new TL and of all the current Acura's. There's too much monotone
    stuff going on inside the TL. The previous generation TL and the
    TSX had the nice interiors! For instance, why did Acura take away the nice violet/blue trim on the speedometer/instrument panel? Now, it's just one color, light blue over black?? The previous instrument panel was much better looking.
  • mltsurgermltsurger Posts: 102
    i thought this was a blog on the Infinity cars.Oh that's right ,we are usually driving them instead of sitting in front of a key board.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There is a line at the top of this discussion that says What is this discussion about? Check that out. It's a discussion about all of those cars and really any other car that might fit the "Luxury Performance Sedan" definition which isn't listed, not just Infinitis.

Hope this helps!
  • m4mm4m Posts: 76
    I just bought M35S. I absolutely love it. Have looked at and tested ALL models in this class (Audi A6, BMW528, GS350, Jag XF, Acura RL, E350 and even Hyundai Genesis, did not bother with Lincoln or Cadillac). Each of them has their strengths and each of them has their weaknesses. M35 - Much more car for the money!
    The interior is great and the outside is soo sleek I've only had mine for a few weeks, but I'm absolutely astounded at the level of luxury, technology and comfort in this car. With perhaps one or two exceptions Infiniti has thought of everything with this car.
    I have the Sport version with the 19" wheels so it rides a little rougher than maybe the other trims, but it's still an incredible ride. Sport pkg seats are perfect, just the right firmness for a balance of support and comfort.
    The gas mileage it is not bad either (7 speed tran +303 HP) so far 20.4 MPG combined for this level of sophistication, luxury and comfort.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,870
    Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy and keep us posted as you get more acquainted with it.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Each of them has their strengths and each of them has their weaknesses. M35 - Much more car for the money!

Congrats. I like the M quite a bit, and the recently added 7-speed on some models does a great deal to correct one of the car's most significant flaws. At this point overall I still prefer the A6 3.0T, but the M's value is certainly hard to ignore. I will be taking a very close look at the new 2011 car.
  • According to latest Wall Street Journal report on their website, M-B and Audi are still goingdown in sales, while Volvo, BMW, Porsche are beginning to go back up. BMW's market share is also increasing while M-B's is going down.
    In addition to top-ranked reliability, the M35 earned near-top scores in Consumer Reports' performance tests.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0910/gallery.consumer_reports_most_rel- iable_cars/4.html
    First off that is one BEAUTIFUL car! I know looks are subjective but I love the look of this car. Very spacious inside.
    Whether it’s cruising on the highway and enjoying Premium Bose, which is way better than the Harman Kardon stereo in 2010 E350 I have tested. The clarity is ultra crisp and clear. Love the interior styling of this car, the center console looks sharp (with even new ’11 model on its way) and very user friendly interface, The new 8" Nav is awesome, love the live traffic and updated graphics on the screen. My favorite has to be heated/cooled seats, music box functions and auto tilt rear view mirrors. The car is super comfortable even with Sport pkg I have, is really not much different from luxury, very slightly stiffer if you ask me. The M35 def has power, I have yet to push it over 3000RPM but I hit 90 in a heartbeat, you can feel the 390lbtq pulling. The car gets a ton of looks, since I install trunk deck lid and roof spoilers’ combo, so I can understand ppl checking the car out. The car glides down the road strong and squeak free, engine is bit loud, but in a good way, it is music to my ears

However Problem one has been the marketing. Nissan fails miserably in this area. There is no reason for this. Whenever you talk about Japanese high line, Lexus comes up. Why not Infiniti?
  • The latest on Consumer Reports website (you have to pay to see it) indicates that M-B is improving in reliability. BMW continues to be variable. No real details, just broad statements on the site.
    I think it is interesting that CR ranks the M35 so highly when it gets the same MPG on premium fuel as the Hyundai Azera does on regular and fuel economy is CR's biggest complaint about the Azera. Bias? You bet.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Well, the M35 does not requires Premium fuel, it is recommended, but would run fine on Regular. Also, the M35 has 40 more hp (even compared with the bigger engine from Azera) and much better chassis and handling characteristics. You know it take more gas to generate power in general (when comparing with similar technology - no Hybrid). In history, CR has not been a big fan of Infiniti, so they chose M35 for a reason I believe.
  • Were you referring to the M35 when you said "you can feel the 390lbtq pulling"?

Acccording to the Inifnity web site, the torque rating for the M35 is 262 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I was wondering where he pulled that 390 lb-ft of torque from, too. I don't even think the M45 has 390 lb-ft! :confuse:
    Sorry guys for confusion... at the time of writing I was also talking to my buddy about E550, so thats where that number came from. My M uses a 3.5 liter V6 engine newly tuned to provide 303 horsepower and 268 lb-ft of torque with 7 spd trans. Which is plenty to have fun with! : )
  • Just found more info. on the website. 08 E350 has all red, with many full circles. Insufficient data for 09 models. Definitely looking better for M-B.
    Personally I think this is really good because many owners of true "luxury" cars expect a whole lot and are quick to mark them down if less than perfect. Whereas, many cars that have luxury features, but sell for much less are marked higher because the owners are so happy to have paid a lot less for them.
    Of the 33 car brands in the reliability survey, Mercedes is rated #23. Hardly a glowing recommendation. The top 8 places are all Asian brands.

Included in the top 8 are 3 luxury brands: Infinity is ranked #4, Acura #5, and Lexus #7.

• I looked at the chart and while that is true, you have to consider other factors. The newest reliability ratings for E350 are all reds, with most full circles (best ratings). Insufficient data for 09's.
    Also, while M-B may be 23rd, it also had some models that are better than some models at the very top of the list. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a by model list. That is why it is important to compare specific models when looking for data.
    It appears that some of the M-B models really drag down the brand and some of the past years contribute to this as well.
    Good news is that it is improving.
    It appears that some of the M-B models really drag down the brand and some of the past years contribute to this as well.

2010 MB E350 , here you go:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/323593-cruise-control-error-message.h- tml

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/319993-another-problem.html
    How many times are you going to fall for that. Every time a new model comes out they say, yes, we know we've had problems in the past...but no more. Then it is the same old thing all over again.

It is not just the problematic cars, it's also the stonewalling dealers and Mercedes corporate that turns me off. They need to take a page out of the Lexus playbook. With Lexus, the customer is always right. Certainly no so with Mercedes.

Since we are approaching another winter season more people will look for AWD models. I found this really cool review, with very good points and with some entertaiment along as well:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Garage-Blo....aspx#continue

Enjoy