Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "All it takes is a spine."

Looks good on paper. :)
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647

A 16 yr. old will be better off in the long run without being given one of these cars. What would they have to look forward to, or earn themselves? A Saleen S7 :confuse:
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I live in Houston Texas. 4th biggest city in these here United States. lot's-o-traffic. Give me a stick.
    Lunatic fringe reporting for duty sir
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    You're missing the whole point about the auto biz, there's always something to look foward to! Just look at the difference between the old RL and the new one. As good as these LPS cars are now, they're going to be very different (and most likely much improved) 10 years from now.
  • rayngrayng Posts: 70
    I'm guessing that 10 years from now, we'll be driving golf carts if we don't find an alternative to fossil fuel. This is the golden age of luxury and performance. We should enjoy our rides while we can.

I'd argue that LPS in the future will be self driven. But at least we'll have our fun on the race track.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265

Looks good on paper.

Feels even better in person. ;)
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    the gunpowder/explosive charge in the airbag system was designed to be good for only 6 years or so.

Hmmm...if this were so (and I have no clue whether it is), then wouldn't it be checked out and/or replaced during regularly scheduled maintenance? (Not that I remember any mention of it during any of the car's service visits.) To knowingly have a non-functional airbag in a car that's just been serviced makes about as much sense as neglecting to replace the brake pads and rotors when they've worn down to where they can't stop the car.
    Eventually the ICE is going the way of the dodo, but I'm sure that it will still be with us in 2016. Its an old dog, but it still has a few tricks (such as HCCI) left up its sleeve, and hydrogen has yet to make any real world sense.

I'm sure that self-driving cars will have a "manual override" mode (they always do in the movies) so I'm not worried.
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Posts: 53
    My first car was an '81 Olds Omega. Yes, we were one of the 3-4 people to buy one. I knew it was grossly underpowered. When you can clearly tell the difference in power when you turn the A/C on and off, its a pretty strong clue. But, it was a great high school car and I had this car through college (really impressed the babes with it :D )and into med school. It was a great car for what I needed. It got me where I needed to go, at least until the end. I then moved up to my dad's old '84 Maxima with a stick (after the "blue chariot" as it was affectionately known, died on the 5th floor of the garage of the public hospital at 2AM. My parents took pitty on me). The Maxima was a blast to drive, especially relative to the chariot. I am still partial to Nissan and now Infiniti due to that car. I guess first, or in this case second, impressions due count. I also certainly appreciated the nicer car having driven a car that was extinct after two years :) .
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Ideally it would be great to have 2 vehicles-an Accord with automatic for daily city driving and a 911 stick for exhilarating weekend jaunts.

Ideal with two cars? Maybe for you.

My ideal is one and only one car. And that car would be a BMW M5. With an M5 who needs a sports car? And in addtion the M5 is a practical family hauler. It is two cars in one. . If I had an M5 I would never ever have a roving eye for a second car, not even for a sexy red 911.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Posts: 141
    go tell a kid you're getting him a used Civic when fellow classmates are driving 330i's.

There are kids driving Ferraris out there. So, the race will never end.

Instead, I might consider finding him a new school where Civics are the norm. And the kid can upgrade to a bimmer if he work part time and pay the differece himself.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    A few cars ago, the Saab I had indicated that all of the seat belt tensioner charges should be changed at 10-years. If you are interested in maximum reliability, you'd probably replace all of the things with explosives in them at that time. It will probably work, but is it worth the chance? They do similar things with missiles - they have a shelf-life and they do a lot recertification tests of the old stock to verify it can still be used. I don't think anyone is doing this type of recheck to verify they still work. Given this, it is unlikely that the "new" one you might want to replace is all that new for some designs. If you are lucky, a new one might not be too old.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "If you are interested in maximum reliability, you'd probably replace all of the things with explosives in them at that time. It will probably work, but is it worth the chance?"

Lat time I checked there were no expiration dates on any of the bullets that I happen to have. Do they use a different type of explosive?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well, as long as you dont mind lugging around an extra 1,000lbs of midsize sedan heft (compared to a 911 CS), then go right ahead. Just dont try to race your M5 against the guys with GT3s at the local track.
    I know the M5 could use some time at Weight Watchers. But it is my idea of the best compromise a family man can live with(assuming the hefty price is not an object)
    What about a 530i and a Miata for the same money?
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    The reason they don't check or replace airbags as regular maintenance is because:
    (1) the time horizon is way beyond warranty
    (2) it would be very very expensive to replace all the airbags.

Like I said, the info I had was off the top of my head from reading something years ago. A quick search right now yielded this:

http://channels.netscape.com/autos/package.jsp?name=autos/airbag_bomb1
    What about a 530i and a Miata for the same money?

I dont know what the pricing is in the USA for the M5, but in Canada a BMW M5 is equivalent in price to:

BMW 530 + 2 Miatas = BMW M5
    2 BMW 530s slightly =< 1 BMW M5

For myself a M5 purchase is merely hypothetical because I find the Canadian prices a rip off. In Canada all small volume cars like the M5 are overpiced when compared to US prices.

The reason for such mispricing is because such low volume cars provide no economies of scale in spreading Canadian regualtory costs( Safety test, emissions/environment etc.)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I read somewhere that the M5 is not a practical "city" car.
    It tends to want to surge forward in stop and go traffic.
    Just what I've read. Have not driven one yet.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's pretty scary. Add one more danger to the list of what other drivers' negligence/ignorance can do to kill you.