Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Buying used. Any reason why you prefer the 08?

The M was refreshed for '08, and received improved styling (most noticeably at the rear), an updated interior with better looking wood trim, much more attractive gauges with white back-lighting replacing the old orange, blue accent lighting, and a new hard-drive based NAV system with available space for music storage.

There were no major changes from '08 until now, other than the 7-speed automatic which was only available on the RWD M35.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,870
    LG, you seem to have a vast knowledge in several different fields. Might I ask what line of work you are in ?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

LG, you seem to have a vast knowledge in several different fields. Might I ask what line of work you are in ?

My two great passions are cars and audio. I also have a pretty decent handle on digital photography, but I'm far from an expert on that subject. I work in large scale IT.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    I seriously considered the 09 and 10 M35's, but felt too confined in the cockpit, plus the navi'audio controls were a bit difficult to see and use at the angle on the dash. Also, ride and noise were things I did not like.
    Ironically, rumor has it that M-B will be making engines for the next G37 as part of their "partnership" with Renault-Nissan.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,761
    MB will be supplying 4 cylinder engines for the G series. I'm sure the V6 from Nissan will stick around as it's the basis of every V6 in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup.
    Ironically, rumor has it that M-B will be making engines for the next G37 as part of their "partnership" with Renault-Nissan.

The rumor mill also says that Infiniti is mulling a smaller crossover than the EX, which would be based on the B-class platform. I wonder if it will come with a leg amputation kit for rear seat passengers.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I know right? I mean I liked the EX35 when it initially came out, but then on close examination/test drive/sitting in it for a little while I realized how useless the damn thing in its current design! 28.5 inches of rear legroom? I mean c-mon, with the front seats part of the way up, but still comfortable for the driver and front passenger, my legs touched up against the back seats and the rear cargo area was the smallest I've ever seen in a luxury cross-over! I mean rear room and cargo room, isn't that two big reasons why you get a cross-over?

I mean the G37 sedan has more rear leg-room and I not that much smaller cargo room compared to the EX35! I hope Infiniti gets their act together on the EX35 because it has not sold well or anywhere near where they had hoped it would!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    The EX35 is one of those vehicles that I classify as "personal luxury." I've been in one, and I think it's super nice for what it is. But it definitely is not made for more than a driver, front passenger, and their weekend getaway luggage (with the rear seats folded down.)
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    edited May 2010
    I'm a few months away from needing a new car (lease will be expiring).

I am looking for a 'luxury/near luxury' car with the following attributes:
    *** Seats 3 kids across the back (twin 5 year olds and 8 year old)
    *** Kind of sporty to ride
    *** Reliable and easy to maintain
    *** Features like cooled seats, premium sound system, backup camera and sensors, etc. Navigation not necessary

Looking to buy used and spend between $30k - $35k.

I have a couple of cars in mind but am interested in the recommendations before I say anything.

Thanks!
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 931
    ddelise: You have pretty much defined a llightly used infiniti M35....a 2009 or maybe even a 2010. You'll need nav to get rear camera though...but most will have it and it won't really cost you anything if you're buying used.
    Thanks for the reply.

Definitely one of the choices - only issue is that my boss has the same car in a 2006 MY I believe. Not sure how smart it is to buy a nicer, newer version of your boss' car!
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Some might consider it flattery...shows you respect his/her decision.
    I hadn't considered that view - good point.

Any recommendations?
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,262
    You can always buy a 2010 impala ltz with less than 7k miles for 21-22k. It will do everything you want [without the "prestige name"] and you can spend 15k on your kids. Rented one for the weekend -- huge trunk and very nice ride. CPO gives you an extra year of warranty. Take a test drive before you comment. Your boss will give you props for putting sensibility before image. ;)
    Interesting - good recommendation.

I actually drive a 2008 Malibu LTZ (the new model). I was not even thinking of the Impala. I will definitely check it out.

I really like the Malibu but I think the rear seats (and definitely the trunk) is too small for when I need to transport the 3 kids.
    The back seat bottoms fold forward -- the seat backs fold down flat. Lots of options for hauling stuff as long as the kids aren't riding along. You can save even more on an 09. Actually the lt with premium pack and leather is even cheaper---high teens. Standard suspension and smaller engine.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    A left over (and they are there) Genesis with the 6 cylinder engine would do the job, I think. And, it would be new with lots of warranty & a little bit of cache -- it is not easy to tell it is from H --- shhhhhh don't tell anyone, and they might think Lexus or if they squint an MB of some sort.
    Thanks for the post - that is one of my possibilities.

A good friend has a 2009 with Tech Package and he is meeting me for lunch next week so I can check it out, take it for a test drive, etc.

Everyone - keep them coming!
    edited May 2010
    You can always buy a 2010 impala ltz with less than 7k miles for 21-22k. It will do everything you want [without the "prestige name"] and you can spend 15k on your kids. Rented one for the weekend -- huge trunk and very nice ride.

I also rented an Impala. Not what I would call sporty, or nice, or enjoyable to drive. It's still using a 4-speed, isn't it? I thought the interior packaging was pretty terrible. It's a big car, but there's no real room in the rear seats. I don't think ventilated seats or a backup camera are even options. It might be cheap to buy, but its a rental queen and it will depreciate like one.

I second the Infiniti M nomination. An '08 would be the best value, but I think for '09 the M35 (RWD only) got the 7-speed auto, which would make it more pleasant on the highway.

Another possibility, if you're willing to give up some sportiness, is a Lexus LS430. About as reliable as cars get, and it specializes in comfort, front and back.

If you think the big Lexus is showing off too much, you might want to consider a Taurus. Unlike the Impala it's a modern car, good space, huge trunk, and the Sync system is as good as what's in most luxury cars.
    Thanks for the post.

I've done some quick research on the Impala, and probably the only one I would consider is the SS model.

I am also considering the LS430 - looks like you can get a decent 2007 model for my price range.

And of course I am looking at the Taurus too. Very similar in size to the LS430. A used 2010 would be similar in price to a used 2007 LS430. So I would need to consider cost of ownership (probably higher for the Lexus), reliability (better for the Lexus), technology (probably better for the Taurus), etc.

Since you are 'lexusguy', what are your thoughts on the LS430?

This is a hard decision!
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I'm not sure I want all that power going through the front wheels in the SS. Matter of fact I'm sure I don't. Nothing like making a pig handle worse than can be imagined.
    I would stick with the Taurus like LG recommended. Gm products are worth about as much as a dirty diaper in your left hand.
    If you like the look the dodge charger could be a player. RWD or AWD. Big discounts on new ones. Nice size but visibility issues.
    I've done some quick research on the Impala, and probably the only one I would consider is the SS model.

I am also considering the LS430 - looks like you can get a decent 2007 model for my price range.

I wouldn't recommend the Impala SS. GM did some lazy engineering to try and deal with the torque steer and handling problems, but none of it really worked and its a generally lousy car. It has none of the tricks of say, a Focus RS to deal with big power to the front wheels. If for whatever reason you want something GM, a Pontiac G8 would be an infinitely better choice than the Impala.

2007 is the first year of the current LS460. In my area they are available for $37K or so with 30-40K miles, which is actually a pretty good deal. It's a lot of car for the money, certainly much more so than any new Hyundai Genesis for similar cash, and it makes the Impala look like a Stanley Steamer by comparison.

The tech in the LS460 is as up to date as just about anything you can buy right now, with the exception of uber-tech cars like the S-class, or the latest Audi A8. I prefer the touch screen system it uses to the silly mouse system in the latest RX350.

If $37K isn't too much, (and there may be some deals to be had for less) the 460 is definitely a better choice than an old gen 2006 LS430.

I owned a '96 LS400, and an '01 LS430. I put over 150K miles on both, and they were about as trouble free as you could ask for. The LS is not a car that makes you want to seek out that winding road. Its job is to make your journey as comfortable and relaxing as possible, and its very good at what it does. If you're stuck in traffic, there is no better place to be.

The only reason I'm not still driving one is that I'm doing a lot less long highway trips now, and I wanted something capable of stirring the blood up a bit so I bought an Audi S6.

I think the LS is the best car Lexus makes, and I would highly recommend a test drive.
    They are selling 2010 Azeras with nav---2k miles for 24k. Drove one and it was plenty quick and semi-luxurious inside.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,870
    edited May 2010
    I would second the motion for the LS. By all means take a test drive. I actually still prefer the last model year of the LS 430 (06). It just seems to be the perfect size for me.

You should be able to find a certified 06 LS 430 with relatively low miles for around $30,000. or maybe less. Being certified gives you 3 more years of warranty or up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty is from Lexus and is virtually the same as the new car warranty.

Unbeatable highway cruiser and very comfortable around town. I would not call it a performance sedan, more toward the luxury side, but it is very capable.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 931
    Remember the OP was wary of getting a used Infinti M35 because his boss drives one. I wonder what his boss will think when the OP drives up in his LS 4xx?

Now, about that raise you wanted.......

:) :)
    edited May 2010
    Remember the OP was wary of getting a used Infinti M35 because his boss drives one. I wonder what his boss will think when the OP drives up in his LS 4xx?

Now, about that raise you wanted.......

Yeah, that's what led me to suggest the Taurus as a possible alternative. I don't think showing up with a Lexus LS would be nearly as bad as say, an S-class or 7 series, or arguably even an E or 5, but it still might be an issue.

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Lincoln MKS. Like all Lincolns its a little bit nicer than the Ford (Taurus in this case), and its retail premium is in no way justified. Fortunately the market corrects Fords pricing optimism in a hurry. An '09 MKS can be had around here for $25K. The Lincoln badge carries about as much weight as a Volvo or Saab, and shouldn't offend anyone with an Infiniti.
    Everyone - thanks so much for the responses. The discussion is really making me think about what I need and helping me refine things.

As I think about this, my requirements are:
    1. Luxury/near luxury car
    2. Some sporting feel. Even though I will be driving to/from work 90% of the time, every now and then I would like to be able to have a little bit of fun.
    3. Ability to carry 3 kids - ages 5,5 and 8
    4. Ability to fit 3 kids worth of stuff in the trunk
    5. I will probably keep the car for 6 years, so it needs to be somewhat reliable. Extended warranty is a must.
    6. Since I am keeping for so long, needs to have decent technology.

I was considering the Pontiac G8, but I think it fails on points 5 and 6.
    I think the 2006 Lexus LS fails on points 2 and somewhat 6.
    I think a 2007 Lexus LS fails on point 2 only but is probably out of my price range.
    I think a 2009 Genesis 3.6 hits on all points.
    I think a 2010 Ford Taurus hits on all points if in SHO trim.
    I think a 2008 Infiniti M35 hits on all points except points 3 and 4, especially as they get older.
    I think a 2009 Lincoln MKS hits on all points other than point 2.

So, am I really settled in on the 2009 Genesis, 2010 Taurus SHO, or 2009 MKS?

I've never had a car for more than 4 years (all from new), so this will be my first used purchase that I will keep for 6 years.

Thanks Again - and please keep the feedback coming.
    So, am I really settled in on the 2009 Genesis, 2010 Taurus SHO, or 2009 MKS?

It sounds like you're starting to get a handle on what you want, so now you should spend the time to really get a feel for each car. If it's possible, try to drive them all on the same roads.

One very important note about the Genesis: its top safety pick award from the IIHS applies only to cars built January 2009 and after. You should avoid any '09 Genesis built in '08. They didn't do so well in their frontal crash test. Both the Taurus and the MKS aced their tests, so there's nothing to worry about there.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    Before purchasing any Hyundai product, take it for a long trip over various types of road surfaces. Biggest complaints about Genesis and Azera is the ride quality. Probably not a bad idea for any car, but especially Hyundai.
    Try to drive it without a sales rep in car.
    Voice of experience.