Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    about small,profitable with regards to Honda/Acura, However, when you compare them to their direct competition, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Audi/Volkswagen they are smaller. Porsche doesn't fit in to the conversation.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    However, when you compare them to their direct competition, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Audi/Volkswagen

They are smaller than TMC and VWAG, but not Nissan. Honda\Acura outsells Nissan\Infiniti. They are smaller than Nissan\RenaultAG, however.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    It appears Lexus is going to make the GS430 pointless next to the GS350 and GS450h as they have announced that the 07' GS V8 model is still the GS430. The GS460 must be an early 2008 release early next year?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/25/lexus-announces-2007-pricing-package-chan- - ges/

M
  • felke001felke001 Posts: 33
    Shopping the usual suspects, (530i, M35, A6, GS) current driving an A4 but need something bigger.

Despite coming from Audi (which has been trouble free), i found the Lexus GS much more appealing that seems generally true from most LPS posters on this board. Great Lexus interior, lack of dreaded i-drive/MMI type interface, ML stereo sounded amazing to me, likely to be more reliable (on average) than the A6 or 530.

Downsides with GS300--seemed a bit underpowered and I see the lack of German "connectedness" that many have commented on. Surprisingly, the latter didn't seem to bother me at all on test drive but not sure how I will feel about it long term. The new GS350 will be getting a significant HP boost (300HP) that will obviously improve the power issue, although still likely to be less sporty experience overall than the other options.

Wanted to like the M but something about it didn't appeal to me, couldn't really put my finger on it. BMW drives great but I-drive and overall ho-hum interior a turn off.

Driving the GS350 as soon as local dealer gets one in--driving the A6 again as well, out of love for Audi. Reading this forum has been a great help.
  • Around here the A6 is again the bargain of the bunch, second only to the STS in terms of lease payments as a percentage of MSRP (not too much of a stunning revelation, I would imagine.)

Yet, both the A6 and the 530 seem, at this point, to be in need of yet another HP/torque boost. Time marches on.

I would think a 7 speed transmission would not be a bad idea either, but I suspect Audi, at least will do the following in the not too distant future:

o Offer the DSG, rear biased quattro, of course and 7 speeds

o Increase the HP of the "base" (for the US) engine -- from the current 255 to perhaps 280

o Rethink the "advantages" of turbo charging especially considering BMW's 335 coupe engine -- which will almost certainly make it to the 5 series.

The Germans need to engage in the power wars in the cars that most LPS customers buy (not the V8's, i.e.)
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    It sounds like the GS350 is going to drive about the same as the 300. Now you'll be able to basically have the power of a GS430 but without being stuck with the electric steering and brakes, not a bad deal.

The GS350 will get better mpg than the M35, and will be quieter on the highway. If you really like GS but want to improve the handling, its possible that some TRD upgrades may be available that won't void your warranty.
  • One of the significant knocks on the GS300/430 was the relatively small trunk space. If you wanted something bigger, you might not get it in the backside. OTOH I bring my vacation suitcases with me for my second visit and see whether, in practice the cu. ft. measurements are real. (If I can fit my 2 medium sized suitcases along with the regular junk, it's big enough.) Usually they are, sometimes not. If you check that out, please report back!
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    I also thought the back seat of the GS was even tighter than that of the RL. If you don't need to regularly transport more than 2 passengers, the GS may do the trick. It's been about a year since I drove and sat in one, but the rear headroom seemed very tight, also. But I am 6'4" with a 36 inseam so often the back seats feel confining.
  • mbbrooksmbbrooks Posts: 16
    Gee thanks. I should point out that I do own a BMW - a R1100RSL and a '96 Porsche 993 so I know frantic from several angles. The longer I have the Benz the more pleased I am with it.
  • I've been driving an Infinity M35X for about a year now. Everything about the car is great except the way it drives. The engine is loud, the shifts are rapid and pronounced, and the gas mileage is down right horrible. With that said, it still drives better than all the cars in it's class (bmw 530i, E350, A6). Fortunately, Infiniti Leasing offers an early termination. Infinity Leasing is the best leasing company I've ever interfaced with. They are as helpful a company I've ever worked with. I wished I liked driving the M35x as much as I liked infinity leasing.

To get a drive that I can honesty say "I love", I moved up in class and tested the A6 4.2, E550, M45, and BMW 550i. In this class, the BMW 550i is the winner for me. I'd rank them 550i, E550, M45, and then A6.

I picked up my new 2007 Titanium Silver 550i last night. Within the first 10 minutes I had a grin from ear to ear. I LOVE THIS CAR! It is silky smooth with tons of power. The sound system (Logic 7) rivals the Bose system in the M35x - which I thought was the best I've ever heard. iDrive is a little funky to get used to, but I think I've got it figured out. I like the location of the controller (think of it as a mouse).

I've also read the discussions about the 550i comfort seats. I think the are terrific. It's one of the features that sold me on the car.
  • ae9ae9 Posts: 19
    felke001,

I am in the exact same boat...currently in an A4 & need a bit more room. For me, i just closed a deal on the A6 4.2 bc the BMW AWD doesnt come on the 545, same with the lexus GS400 & the E500 w 4 matic was way overpriced IMO,,,test drove the RL but just didnt do it for me & the M35x just was too much like a maxima for me....all personal preference but I wanted a AWD performance vehicle, had no problems w my A4 so I went with the A6 4.2....now if you are looking at the 3.2 the 530xi & the GS300 might come back into play.

Hope that helps
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "Everything about the car is great except the way it drives."
    :confuse:
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    "With that said, it still drives better than all the cars in it's class" :confuse: :confuse:
    So you like the Infiniti M35x except that it drives like crap, but it still drives much better than a 530i? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Can you be a little more specific about "the way it drives"? Handling? Acceleration? Braking? Road feel? Steering accuracy? Etc. What about it, after a year, made you so unhappy. Also, was there a particular reason you originally picked the X model and not the RWD version, since you seem very happy with the RWD 550i?
  • scoop4scoop4 Posts: 40
    I have been considering purchasing a Lexus SC430. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is makes sense to wait until spring rather than purchase one now assuming that the price may be substantially lower due to depreciation
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    avineberg wrote: "I've been driving an Infinity M35X for about a year now. Everything about the car is great except the way it drives. The engine is loud, the shifts are rapid and pronounced, and the gas mileage is down right horrible. With that said, it still drives better than all the cars in it's class (bmw 530i, E350, A6)."

hpowders, understandably, queried: "So you like the Infiniti M35x except that it drives like crap, but it still drives much better than a 530i?"

It appears to me, from the cars avineberg went "up in class" to test drive (the A6 4.2, E550, M45, and BMW 550i), that avineberg was looking to replace his hated V6 with a V8 and found the sought-after object of desire. So, avineberg seems not to like any of the V6s in the LPS category. The one he disliked the least was the one with the strongest acceleration. That would tally with avineberg's migration to V8s in an attempt to find even more power, produced with less effort, more smoothly, and perhaps more quietly. The 550i comes with a 360-hp 4.8-liter V8, which generates the most HP of any of the cars avineberg tried out, and, if memory serves, subjects the car to a $1,000 federal gas-guzzler tax. That's not a criticism, just an attempt to make sense of what appears contradictory.

But, that's all conjecture, just offered for fun.
    If you order the 550i with (ugh) steptronic transmission, you get a $1300 gas guzzler credit.
  • Well, it MIGHT drive better than a 530i. There is no way it drives better than a 530xi -- if you are keeping the apples to apples comparisons (AWD, i.e.) going.

The 530xi with the stick is great, the A6 with the S-Line package is also great if you are a shiftless kind of person -- the M35X is the closest to the Germans of the bunch with an honorable mention going to the STS when it is equipped with all the sporty option boxes checked.

Here is the "if I didn't do it myself, I probably wouldn't believe it" claim: I tested the STS (V6) sport-ed up version against a 530 NON sported version and the STS "felt" crisper, handled better and was more powerful to boot (the Car and Driver editor for a day deal, which to be fair was a thinly veiled Cadillac commercial.)

The M35X would be my second choice if I had to have an automatic, second to the Audi same rules.

Of course, the 530xi stick with the 18" wheel/tires would be (or would have been had it been out) my #1.

Today, we are back in the "value prop" days -- the A6 is second only to the STS in terms of bang for the buck (if AWD is on your list.)

But the postings about the RL HERE, but not locally, would seem to belie that.

They're giving away STS's here in River City, $11 down, and $11 a month and if you don't have the $11, "we'll even loan that to you!"

"Come one come all, to the STS year end give-away. Just a mental block and a bridge from down town Cincinnapolis, good credit, bad credit, no credit -- we'll git 'er done!"

The A6 is a little bit more, but still cheap, "like buyin' eggs in the country!"

My how times have changed in just a short year.

The M35X a year ago was the bargain, now not so much.

Good thing these cars are so close to each other in content and performance -- don't you think? Or don't you?

:shades:
    Well, in the LPS category, nothing handles as well as the 5 Series, of the cars I have driven. (This is my priority.
    Couldn't care less about interiors.)

The M is quite good, but feels heavy, steering is a touch artificial and its loud engine proves tiresome.

I am embarrassed to say I have not driven an A6 or E Class yet.
    Shame on me!

I have driven the GS 430 with its ridiculous (non-optional) adaptive steering and hyper-sensitive brakes.
    Shame on Lexus!

I have a 2005 545i and BMWFS is going to have a tough time prying it away from me in 23 months. I've never experienced anything like it-the intoxicating power and perfect control.

Truely, an amazing vehicle!