Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• The V8 is FWD? What in the wide wide world of sports is a goin' on there?

I thought the web site was pretty cool, ONE TIME. Kinda reminded me of a later (Brosnan) James Bond DVD navigation.

I thought the V8 was automatically AWD. I can't prove it though.
  • Might be worth a second look. The V6 is FWD with AWD as an option, but the V8 is AWD standard. It also has adjustable suspension from soft to medium-soft to tight ("Advanced"). The TL's a good ride, but probably not competition for any of the LPS's (possible exception of the RL). It will be interesting to read the comparos rather than just previews and "first drives" however.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Cost nearly as much as the competition, but you still get a Swedish Ford. Low power (Heck, the V8 version barely breaks 7 seconds 0-60), front wheel drive, soft suspension. Fit and build are good, but you can get a Acura TL for much cheeper, and that is really it's competition.

The V-8 goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in a car mag test and it has AWD. ;) I owned a 05' TL, please don't compare the 2 since they aren't in the same league. It's embarassing to compare a rubberized Acura TL (which are pretty nice) to a leather, metal, wooden, sex machine like the S80 :P

Rocky
    It is AWD, go to the Volvo site and the proof is there. ;)

Or just visit the 30 or 40 posts I've posted through-out the year on Volvo site. Most have links. ;)

Rocky
    Agree, the S80 is a Scandinavian God. Thor-ish if I may. ;)

Some say that about me. I'm a Norge car forum posting God J/K :P

Rocky :D
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The V-8 goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in a car mag test and it has AWD. I owned a 05' TL, please don't compare the 2 since they aren't in the same league. It's embarassing to compare a rubberized Acura TL (which are pretty nice) to a leather, metal, wooden, sex machine like the S80

A Volvo sex machine. Wow, I'd never thought I'd see that. Can we tone down the Volvo PR a bit though? In reality, it's not all that sexy. The exterior is the same Volvo shape thats been with us since '01, just in large size. The interior is Volvo S40, with some nicer materials. It is no match for the A6, or M on the inside.

This car reminds me a lot of the S60R, which Volvo thought could take on the M3, a $40K car that is all bark, no bite. The S80's engines (especially the 6) aren't nearly powerful enough. The adjustable effort steering is a very cool idea, I can't wait for Infiniti or BMW to offer that. On the Volvo, its would you like "light effort-numb, medium effort-numb, or heavy effort-numb"? Heavy steering does not mean "good" steering. You don't buy a Volvo for road feel. That hasn't changed.

The AWD system (I assume) is the same that's used in every other AWD Volvo. That means a Haldex-clutch with a 95\5 front\rear torque split. It's there for bad weather conditions and mitigating torque steer. The idea of a "sporty" AWD system, like ATTESA E-TS, or even Audi's latest rear biased Torsen Quattro systems, has never crossed Volvo's mind.
    A Volvo sex machine. Wow, I'd never thought I'd see that. Can we tone down the Volvo PR a bit though? In reality, it's not all that sexy. The exterior is the same Volvo shape thats been with us since '01, just in large size. The interior is Volvo S40, with some nicer materials. It is no match for the A6, or M on the inside.

Audi's newest interiors are as bad as BMW's. M-what ? Infiniti M ? Ummm, no. I declaring you legally blinde. :P

This car reminds me a lot of the S60R, which Volvo thought could take on the M3, a $40K car that is all bark, no bite. Its engines (especially the 6) aren't nearly powerful enough. The adjustable effort steering is a very cool idea, I can't wait for Infiniti or BMW to offer that. On the Volvo, its would you like "light effort-numb, medium effort-numb, or heavy effort-numb"? Heavy steering does not mean "good" steering. You don't buy a Volvo for road feel. That hasn't changed.

Well they have made major improvements in that dept.

The AWD system (I assume) is the same that's used in every other AWD Volvo. That means a Haldex-clutch with a 95\5 front\rear torque split. It's there for bad weather conditions and mitigating torque steer. The idea of a "sporty" AWD system, like ATTESA E-TS, or even Audi's latest rear biased Torsen Quattro systems, has never crossed Volvo's mind.

The Haldex, does its job. I never said it would out sport a BMW, but it's competitive enough to play. It's styling both inside and out along with "exclusive gadgets" makes it a Scandinavian God among cars. The other plus side is it can be driven in inclement weather, something the others can only do with snow shoes at the 4 corners. ;)

Rocky
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    about that, pat .... come on over to the S80 board ... we have some questions about edmunds price comparisons.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• dan339gdan339g Posts: 56
    As a former S80 owner, I'm pleased to see this model evolve to the point where it's even being discussed on this board. As always, exterior styling is quite subjective, but I've found it to be "stylish" in an understated fashion. The interior design, fit and finish are very competitive, if not superior with other LPS offerings, and I still maintain Volvo has the best factory front seats in the business. However, the performance and handling were clearly not in the same league, and even with the turbo did not inspire spirited driving or a memorable experience. I'll follow the reviews with interest, and probably take a new one for a spin myself to see if it has earned a place at the LPS table. If so, I suspect it will be right next to the A6.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I dunno if I can answer the questions, but I can't find what you're talking about. Can you give me a link?
  • drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    E-Class 4,112
    5-Series 3,190
    GS 2,706
    M 1,933
    A6 1,061
    RL 1,015

Don't know Caddy's sale figure.
    Agree with ya pal.

Rocky
    a host can't find the volvo S80 board? hmmmm... maybe that's an indication of how difficult it is to navigate here these days.(?) ;)

Anyway, we were just discussing how Edmunds points out the S80 V8 is under $50k, but then states this is the same as its competitors. this is obviously not true .... volvo S80 discussion

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    I was looking at the actual Volvo S80 board. The S80 discussion you link is actually on the Future Vehicles board, that's how I missed it. I found it this morning and linked it to the S80 board so it does show up there now. And I agree with you, it was a dumb mistake on my part. :blush: I just took you too literally, a mistake that sometimes people heavily into computers make!! :) Kirstie hosts that discussion and I have not been reading it.
    ah. that's my fault. you are correct. i should have said '07 S80.

i didn't mean you had to respond directly anyway. just thought since you posted a link to the article, you might be interested in some reponses to it.

more than anything, driving traffic over there from here to discuss the car ain't a bad thing. ;)

Agree it's been tough navigating these forums. I have to keep links in my address box to get around from insideline, to news and views, etc :cry:

Rocky
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    "Your advice or would be advice is dead on what I tell folks: "drive 'em all." Yet, more and more I've come to the conclusion that folks will almost always make up their minds in advance for whatever reason and then figure out a way to explain it to themselves."

A speculation ... purchasing a car, in general, but maybe especially so once you get into this price range, evokes enough anxiety to push for premature closure. You know I'm speaking from experience, but I also believe it might be true for a substantial number of others. Achieving a state of "I have no doubt" is anxiety-reducing. I might have been relatively unique in the extent to which a pile of auto-mag raves not only trumped quite a number of auto-mags cautions, about the Infiniti Ms, but, more critically to my subsequent mental health, trumped my own experience driving the cars, which I find to provide significantly different driving experiences.

Beyond my personal experience, I believe that magazines and CR/JDP "stats" provide plenty of grist for that premature closure mill and for the similar experience of cementing one's certainty about having purchased perfection, after the purchase -- which might be a good mental health thing for the buyer but which, beyond a certain point, appears to start to grate on some other forum participants. The "drive 'em all alternative" assumes that, in driving them all, one will tolerate the impossibility of arriving at "I have no doubt that I've found the one-and-only best car in class" and settle for "I think this is the one (or maybe, simply "one" rather than "the only one") with a combination of style and driving feel that will satisfy me most over the next few years".
  • Bet you can't say that whole thing fast three times! :surprise:
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    Come on, don't bailout on me so quickly on this brief foray into deep thought :)