Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,862
    Well if you were't talking about a new RL why do you think I was referring to the current XJ? I never said that.

Ford has owned Jag for about 17 years now and do you think there has not been any cross engineering going on? Who is to say that the next XJ might not be a front driving rebadged Taurus. Stranger things have happened.

You slam Acura every chance you get so you should be able to take a shot or two. It is a lot more fun throwing grenades that catching them, huh?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Who is to say that the next XJ might not be a front driving rebadged Taurus. Stranger things have happened.

Considering the XJ can go over $90K, I don't see that happening, especially since the Taurus died not too long ago. They just decided to pull the name out of the trash bin to try and boost sales a bit for the 500, but it still has nothing to do with Jag. The Taurus, Sable, and MKS are based on last-gen Volvo architecture, using a Ford engine.

There was extensive sharing with the LS\Mondeo and X\S-type, but never the XJ, at least not in the US. The European XJ6 uses the Duratec 3.0L.

The XF is built on a largely carry-over DEW98 platform, itself the basis for the Mustang and the Mustang derived RWD products in the pipeline. As far as I know, the XJ and XK will continue to use unique platforms and engines.

I'm happy to slam Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or anyone else that deserves it. I've been a very vocal critic of the GS (and especially the 450h) pretty much since launch. The RL is IMHO, a half-assed effort from Honda. They played it very conservative and very safe in the typical Honda way, and they are certainly paying for it now.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It is a lot more fun throwing grenades that catching them

Watched the Today show this morning, did you? ;)
    Pat, ya got me!! Thought that was a good line so I borrowed it. It's a perfect fit for this forum!!

So you can buy a $90K car for $35K a year or two later? If it depreciates that fast, why would you ever want to buy one? It would be doing the Taurus a disservice to compare the two!

While not perfect, I would still take the RL over that piece of junk!

So you can buy a $90K car for $35K a year or two later? If it depreciates that fast, why would you ever want to buy one? It would be doing the Taurus a disservice to compare the two!

While not perfect, I would still take the RL over that piece of junk!

XJs have always had horrific depreciation, and the new one is no exception. Look at how much an '03 XJR goes for now. My '00 XKR and a '00 911 CS sold new for very similar money. When I sold my car, that same 911 with similar mileage would go for almost double the price. That's just how it is with Jag. That doesn't mean the cars themselves are bad. (Ok the X-type and S-type are bad).

Thats why I would never buy a brand new XJ. As a lightly used car they are screaming deals though, especially considering how good QC at Jag has gotten. Is it any different than someone who paid $49K for an RL a week after launch? What's their car worth now? Maybe $28K.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Three weeks and not a single post? No passion about our cars? In order to generate more taffic on the forum, lets add Camrys and Accords to the list of cars to be discussed. ;)

Kevin
  • garnetgarnet Posts: 7
    Kids,
    Purchased new '06 RL in July, confident reliability ratings in Consumer Reports would score higher than '05 intro model. CR's just-published reliability stats prove me right. Quite a buy at $40.9 w/o my '96 RL as trade. (Two weeks later private sale netted $7k.) Not to boost none (unusual for a citizen senior)but I must say, nevertheless, as a cool RL owner going on for second decade, AM I HOT, OR NOT!?
    Just wonderin as I wander,
    gar
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    The RL takes a beating from consumers, not so much from the press. At your price [and the price I negotiated for my BIL's 41k] It's the steal of the segment IMO.

Yeah, I really like this thread, to bad it's dying.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    $40.9!

Wow!

Is this in response to demand? I would have to assume so.

I visted the Acura dealer with my wife, who is now in the 11 months to pull the trigger on the new "whatever" mode to replace her X3 -- looking at the new MDX.

"Yes, but its Japanese. . ." was heard before we went in, after we came out only sitting in, not driving, the MDX, not a peep on the subject.

We had driven, earlier that day a new Lincoln MKX and a LandRover HSE ($38,000 and $61,000 respectively.) Also drove a new X3 $48K, the MDX with everything, $48K.

Looks like the bargain of the bunch (the MDX) if it drives worth a damn.

Meanwhile on the other side of the showroom was an RL.

Didn't know one could be had for $40.9K, but it was pretty nice, but it seemed a little smaller than my A6.

I've been "pre-lusting" to drive a new Cadillac CTS 300HP AWD version and contemplating amongst other things its relative size and apparent graduation into the nearer to the LPS class. I'm thinkin' it will be mid $40's the way I would want it.

This would mean the RL might actually end up, say it with me, a very high value.

This would possibly require a paradigm shift in thinking, but I was close to an Infiniti M35X 21 months ago, so this would not be -- for me -- that much of a stretch.

Anyway -- the Acura seemed pretty much what the early on reviews said -- "a player in the LPS field." Car and Driver, as I recall actually was more complimentary of the RL than my A6. Of course they loved the Infiniti and called the Lexus a living room on wheels.

So, one would think at THESE PRICES with good reviews, Acura would not need a fire sale.

Yet, month after month the RL, as I recall, undersells even Audi's dismally selling A6 (but AudiUSA seems quite sanguine about its sales, because they, in relative terms just keep gettin' better.)
    I can't wait to hear what you and your wife think of the new MDX.

I think dynamics wise, it's a real hit, especially when price is considered.

The let down for me was the cheap feeling steering wheel. I think it's changed because the second time I drove it, it didn't bother me.

It's completely leap frogged the RX IMO.
    Maybe its just me, but I still don't see the value in the RL, even at $40k. It's identical, (other than the tech package) to the '05s, which are now $30k, maybe less. Its still the runt of the LPS litter, which its sales reflect. An '06 M35 is around $40k, and its a better car than the RL in every way. An M45 is a few thousand more. So where's this great value? I just dont get it.

Mark, if the missus is willing to go Japanese, why not try the FX45? It's much faster than the pokey MDX (7.5 seconds from 300hp?) the trim is actually real, and it's much more of a drivers "car". Though the exterior is almost identical to the old one, the interior has been much improved.
    owns an FX. It's a great car. But all around, the new MDX is better IMO. Equals in driving dynamics, and fun, but the MDX is a much more comfortable ride, and a better interior to boot. Plus, better stereo, and Nav.

Since when can you get an M35X, with nav, XM, and upgraded stereo for 40k?
  • carfan28carfan28 Posts: 43
    Eqivalent of RL with Tech package would be M with technology and advanced tachnology packages- $52K MSRP car- buy it for $49K in NJ. RL can be bought for $44K in NJ.

FX45 may be the ugliest car I've seen on the road. It can't compare with an MDX in any way except handling. It's an SUV and not meant to handle well- it's supposed to luxuriate.
  • carfan28carfan28 Posts: 43
    He bought a 2006 RL in July, '06 for $41K. 2007 RL's arediscounted in NJ to around $44K with tech package- navigation. Base 2007RL can be bought for about $41K. The 2006 RL didn't come in a base model.
    Since when can you get an M35X, with nav, XM, and upgraded stereo for 40k?

'06 M45 Sport, all options, 10K miles, $44K. That's a great value. A new RL is not.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    With this "spirited" debate, I gotta drive the RL.

I just noticed, tho, the RL STILL has the 5 speed auto. The MDX, too, 5 speed. The HP and torque of these vehicles and the RPM's at which these numbers are attained, BEG for a 6 speed.

I must admit, part of this curiosity has to do with some friends, now on their second Acura who -- after multiple Mercedes -- are just so pleased to have a car that can pass the dealership without needing a visit to fix this, that or the other problem area.

We just pulled in to the Acura dealer after liking the Land Rover, but having some trepidation regarding its reliability and the $61K price tag (and the thirsty habits.)

By the way, my wife said the Lincoln MKX was the first car she has ever test driven that if given to her free she would not want. She said it had the worst feel behind the wheel EVER! She wanted out of there so quickly, I didn't get to drive.

Yet, the Lincoln from the passenger seat was very nice fit and finish wise, good seats, nice nav system.

The Land Rover's nav system was leaps and bounds better than both Audis and BMW's BTW.

The Land Rover had a voice command system that, too, was slightly ahead of the German's.

The new X3, typically, had that BMW sedan feel and with the new 6 speed auto and that new gutsy engine seemed very quick and not at all flustered when pushed.

The others, somewhat typically, are great (better than the Germans) when parked, the BMW (and other Germans to be fair) are great (better than the others) when being driven.

Add a technology package to the Bimmer (a la MDX, Rover, Infiniti) and I'll avert my eyes (we're not worthy.)

Hope springs eternal that the new CTS from Cadillac has merged some of the best of both worlds.

Just in case, carry lemons and cover yourself in butter, "there's a lobster loose." :surprise:
    I just noticed, tho, the RL STILL has the 5 speed auto. The MDX, too, 5 speed. The HP and torque of these vehicles and the RPM's at which these numbers are attained, BEG for a 6 speed.

I must admit, part of this curiosity has to do with some friends, now on their second Acura who -- after multiple Mercedes -- are just so pleased to have a car that can pass the dealership without needing a visit to fix this, that or the other problem area.

Same with Infiniti, at least for the moment. Thats the one issue I have with the M, it needs a 6th gear to get the revs down below 3K on the highway. The Nissan GT-R is rumored to be getting a DSG style sequential manual that should have at least 6 gears, and hopefully Infiniti will pick that up for use in its cars.

For whatever its worth, C&D's long term test RL had 8 unscheduled service visits and constant electrical problems, from a car only a few months old. Acura's first MY products lately have been kind of buggy, so that would make me a bit nervous about the MDX. Lexus and Infiniti don't seem to have the same issues. On top of that I think the MDX is hideous, and I just don't like Acura all that much. There, I said it.
    By the way, my wife said the Lincoln MKX was the first car she has ever test driven that if given to her free she would not want. She said it had the worst feel behind the wheel EVER! She wanted out of there so quickly, I didn't get to drive.

Yet, the Lincoln from the passenger seat was very nice fit and finish wise, good seats, nice nav system.

That reminds me of when one of my old Jags was at the body shop for a week, and they gave me a Chevy Monte Carlo as a loaner. To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, "I'd rather have bird flu".

What did you think of the "that '70s show" interior?
    You mention poor Acura reliability all the time, however, the latest CR reliability ratings for some selected cars are as follows:

2. Honda

4. Acura

5. Lexus

8. Infinity

Acura has always been rated near the top. I don't know where you get your info on reliability but you need to find a new reason not to like Acura. :shades: