Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    Re: Bump [kgary]

?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi - if you have a comment, we'd love to hear from you, but it really isn't necessary to "bump" these discussions. :)
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    My wife and I test drove a 535Xi this morning. We liked it so much we ordered one. Salesman estimated it will take 6 weeks to arrive.

The car we drove, like the one we ordered, has the standard 17" GFTs. Ride quality is definitely smoother and quieter than my '06 330Xi. I purposely drove over the same section of road that caused a hard hit in my current car this morning on the way to the dealer, and there was no problem with the 5 series. I didn't really get a chance to test the handling, but it felt responsive and similar to my current car.

We easily noticed it's a bit roomier on the inside, sits a little higher, and has easier ingress and egress.

I immediately noticed the engine is more powerful than in my current car, and it's very responsive in regular Drive mode. I didn't feel the need to shift to Sport mode like I do in my current car. While driving on the interstate at 70 mph, I punched the throttle and was impressed at how quickly and effortlessly it accelerated.

The 535Xi has everything we were looking for as a step up from our 330Xi.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • bazohimbabazohimba Posts: 14
    Well.. er uh.. Mark, my son has a plain vanilla 525 in Houston, I was very favorably impressed with handling, fit and finish, etc. Love the sound of the glass-smooth straight six.
    I would discourage the CTS you mentioned, as I'm sick of the STS-4 I picked up with 7k miles 16 months ago.

I've ordered an '08 E320 bluetech. It's torque that gets you where you want to go, and diesel is now less than regular here in Indiana. Have you driven an E 320 bluetech?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have. :) You wouldn't know it is a diesel just by it driving by unless you read the tail badging.

My wife's car to herself when she graduates college will either be a BMW 5 Series diesel or an E320 diesel. I'm personally hoping for a 530d stateside by then!

-Paul
  • drtraveldrtravel Posts: 395
    BMW 5-Series 4,431
    Mercedes E-Class 4,102
    Lexus GS 2,043
    Acura RL 652

Don't know Audi or Infiniti yet
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    May = 1,842
    Rayainsw,

Thanks for the link, I had not seen this.

One comment is the article says leather is standard and a higher quality leather is optional. Leather is standard in the 550i, but for the 535i they tested, leatherette is standard and leather (just one quality) is optional.

Bruce
  • badboymiabadboymia Posts: 6
    This car is super, the interior is great and very reliable, Nav is the best in the industry as well as class! Its a real go getter type of car the ladies love it!!
  • bazohimbabazohimba Posts: 14
    Well, Mark, I didn't even look at the BMWs after driving the E 320 CDI. My '08 E 320 bluetech should be delivered in the next ten days or so. My deal was 4% off MSRP which is acceptable, altho neither I nor the dealer is stealing anything from each other.

I am very impressed by the acceleration (at least the sensation... driving it in traffic in Houston) in the little engine that's very quiet. Hope I'm right!!

I've not decided whether to buy or lease, as my wife just bought an '07 GL 450. I don't even remember how to figure a lease so as to protect myself from sleight of hand at the dealership.

jk
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    FYI on leasing. Just shop for best purchase price and then have them convert to a lease using that negotiated price, the money factor (interest)and residual (these should be standard if each dealer is using MB Credit) and the amount of months that you decide to lease for. These numbers MUST be disclosed to you in the contract so they can't be fudged. And then make sure that you are clear on the "drive off costs" or out of pocket- money paid when you pick up the car. This is usually first payment, security deposit, taxes and title. So two dealers using the same exact numbers MUST come up with the same monthly payment and drive off costs or something is very wrong with one of them.

Also, make sure that no one is adding anything extra here that isn't required. This is an area where they can "pad" some profit. I once threatened to walk out of an Infiniti dealership where I was picking up a new car because they added a fee of 150 to pick up my plates from DMV. This was additional to DMV fees. Of course the dealer backed down and took it out of the contract when I told him that I wouldn't sign for the car with that fee. The salesman was a bit upset so I suspect that was some extra commission for him.
    My experience when leasing from MB and BMW is that it's very straight forward with no "games".
    Hope this helps.
  • renssilsrenssils Posts: 24
    From your experience, would any of you Infiniti M45 owners go for a 2008 M45x sport? All wheel drive and sport package will be offered for MY 2008.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    From your experience, would any of you Infiniti M45 owners go for a 2008 M45x sport? All wheel drive and sport package will be offered for MY 2008.

Very interesting, I'm surprised that Infiniti is making major changes to the M so quickly. The M45x will definitely be on my "must test drive" list.
  • klpeelklpeel Posts: 46
    I don't know about the sport package, but the M45x is my target car for around the end of this year. I am curious to see the external appearance changes mentioned in Infiniti's press release, though. Does anyone know if any pictures are yet available of the updated 2008?

And BTW, I wouldn't consider these "major changes." The one significant change is the availability of AWD for the V8 version. The other changes are technology updates or refreshes of various kinds. The basic car is the same.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    And BTW, I wouldn't consider these "major changes." The one significant change is the availability of AWD for the V8 version. The other changes are technology updates or refreshes of various kinds. The basic car is the same.

When I said "major changes", I meant that the car is getting its mid-cycle refresh a year early, which in addition to the AWD V8 includes both a revised exterior and interior, the G35's new HDD based NAV system, new colors and the change to white gauges like in the G.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    “the car is getting its mid-cycle refresh a year early,”

But – no 6-speed automatic. Or any revision to the gearing.
    Meaning ( I’m guessing ) that the relatively poor fuel economy and the relatively high RPM at cruise will remain – likely for 2 more years.

Odd, indeed. . . ( to me )
    - Ray
    FWIW,

I included this in a longer post in a 5 series thread. While I don't think gas mileage should be a make or break factor for cars in this price category, I do appreciate efficiency.

We took the first road trip in our 535Xi this past weekend, about 250 miles each way. Car now has about 1200 miles. Just for grins, I ran a test to check highway gas mileage. After I got up to speed on Interstate I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley, I reset the avg mph and avg mpg on the car’s computer, and tried to drive at a constant 75 mph while not being heavy-footed with the gas.

At the end of a 90 mile stretch on the first day, the display read an avg mph of 73.4, and an avg mpg of 27.6. On the second day, at the end of a 40 mile stretch, I averaged 73.8 mph and 30.1 mpg (on less hilly terrain).

Thanks
    Bruce
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Wait until the engine is fully broken in. My 530i didn't start getting its best mileage until it had over 20,000 miles on the clock. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • renssilsrenssils Posts: 24
    Any comments on the 2008 M45x Sport, especially from M45, M45 Sport, M35x and M35 Sport owners?