Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Perhaps this motor will also find a home in the A6, before the next update of that model?

I read that it was supposed to slot in the middle of the A6 range, replacing the old 2.7T. Audi has to know that their 265hp 3.1L really isn't enough these days.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Has anyone ever used BG 44K fule additive or BG MOA oil additive? If so, are they any good?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Some folks swear by BG products, however, many other folks (me included) regard these products as snake oil, products designed to separate folks from their money. FWIW, the odds on bet is that your Owner's Manual clearly recommends that no oil and fuel additives are to be used on your car at all. Why do you suppose that is?

The fact is that the individuals that designed and built your engine designed it to run hundreds of thousands of miles with just the recommended maintenance, and the use of after market additives will, if anything, be at least as much of a detriment to that engine as they will be as a benefit.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • your Owner's Manual clearly recommends that no oil and fuel additives are to be used on your car at all. Why do you suppose that is?

Funny thing, the Owner's Manual for my 550i says just that... not to use additives. Yet BMW makes an additive for the gas. I think it has more to do with getting customers to buy a car company's own additives vs. others. Personally I have had some really good results with BG products.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    Honda has announced the recall of 43,000 Acura RL sedans. The recall — which affects 2005-2008 model year cars — is due to a faulty power steering hose that can crack and leak fluid onto the catalytic converter, possibly leading to fire.

Earlier this year, Honda recalled 182,756 Civic sedans, making it one of the most recalled automakers of 2007.

Despite the recent recalls, Honda still maintains one of the lowest recall rates in the industry.

Regards,
    OW
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    As a manufacturer starts seriously pumping out cars there will always be recalls made because of the big numbers of cars produced. It's just the law of averages.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Don't know what addatives they suggest, but one that comes to mind is a gas addative to take care of moisture in the gasoline. Depending on where you live, the temperatures, and the quality of the gasoline, it is very possible to have moisture that could lead to a frozen gas line. Areas where they are adding alcohol to the gasoline already are not likely to need it, though.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Especially if the alcohol is GlenLivet 18 year old single malt Scotch...:):):)...man, I just slay me...
    I use Johnnie Walker Blue to reduce any moisture!

Regards,
    OW
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    Blue???...hey, you're too rich for my tastes...the best Johnny Walker I ever had was Gold, which, I believe, is 18 years old...
    The Blue is stunningly smooth and satisfying. It is worth the $175.

Regards,
    OW
  • Thanks to everyone for their feedback! This is a great forum.

After a lot of research and legwork, I ordered a BMW 535xi. It was the first car I test drove and nothing I tested after it put the same smile on my face. I was a bit hesitant about getting a car with the iDrive system, so I focused on it the second time I test drove the 535. I found that I really enjoyed the way the iDrive worked, but the menus are slightly confusing. That will just take a bit of time to learn, but shouldn't be the problem that reviewers make it out to be. It might have something to do with my being comfortable using computers.

The actual testing and buying experience was more pleasant than I expected - for the most part. The BMW salesperson, and everyone I dealt with at BMW Gallery in Norwell, MA were great. I got a great price on the car and was happy with the trade-in amount they offered for my Camry. The salesperson actually talked me out of a few high priced options I was considering, and in hindsight, he was correct. Plus, I have heard good things about the BMW Galleries service department.

The worst experience was at Herb Chambers Lexus - high pressure sales and they called me at home at least 5 times after I test drove the GS350. I got the feeling that they would tell you anything to make a sale.
    og, best of luck with your 535xi. It is a really great car and please let us know what you think about your driving experience.

Regards and Happy Holidays,
    OW
  • Thanks OW, and happy holidays to you and yours! I will keep the forum updated. This is the first time I have ordered a car - the waiting period (6-8 weeks) is a little bit like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid ;)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    Congrats on the car. You'll love it. My ordered car was in my grips within 6-7 weeks and was well worth waiting for.

Best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all !!
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124676

"What this means to you: It still can't run with the big dogs, but..."

Will it matter?
    "What this means to you: It still can't run with the big dogs, but..."

Will it matter?

I would say no. I think they've made it look worse and even more Accord like than before. That MDX grill does not help the front end. Unfortunately that's also probably what the next TL will look like from the front. This will help the RL better compete with the other big sixes in the class like the GS350 and the 535i, but it still is no match for the V8s. I also don't see fuel economy improving without an extra cog.
  • I wish the RL's were more competitive with BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi. It is too bad they just keep turning out models that aren't that different from the Accord.
    I wish the RL's were more competitive with BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi. It is too bad they just keep turning out models that aren't that different from the Accord.

There's only so much you can do with a shared platform. The BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, and Audi are all riding on bespoke gear. Each offers several engine and drivetrain choices as well. Acura's "one size fits all" approach worked more for them when their cars were several thousand less than the competition. Now that they are approaching parity though, customers want more choice and Acura can't deliver.