Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,863
    Hola, jose !! Alas, the coupe is not a sedan ! Certainly it would qualify as a luxury performance coupe ! Thanks for the link. Very impressive.

I hope all is well with you !

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Yup! :blush: I forgot this is the LPS forum.

Everything is OK, Dan; thanks for asking. I hope it will be all right with you too.

Regards,
    Jose
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The title of this board "luxury performance sedans" is a bit vague, but when you look at the sedans listed, it's clear that this is the mid-lux market we're talking about. Should the Genesis be included? I would have to say no.

You need more than just size and RWD (and even a V8) to qualify. The Genesis' price tag is too low, and it doesn't have a luxury badge, so it doesn't make it. The 300C and the Taurus SHO are also powerful, big cars, but they don't belong here either.
  • Should the board be re-titled Luxury Performance Sedans with snob appeal?
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    One of the things that sets a luxury sedan apart from others is low NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). The M-series is noisey, but not bad in vibration and harshness. The Genesis excells in all three, so if others can fit in with missing pieces, I think it should be here as well.
  • I purchased an 2009 Acura RL two month ago. The car looks small from the outside, but I feel it is very roomy inside. It's true that there isn't much room on the backseat if the front seats are moved all the way to the back, but on the other hand they move much more to the back than many other car seats. The car drives great. Enough power, we don't drive 160MPH in this country. It is not sluggish at all. I have driven quite a few different cars the last year. Everything feels very solid, high quality. I will know in about 2 years how it holds up. The dealer is also very courteous and professional. They provide free loaner car of the same class if needed. (so does BMW here, but not Cadillac).
    I did a lot of research on all the car forums on this web site before making the ultimate decision. I saw a lot of post for the M35 that had problems with the steering, keeping the car in the lane. Mercedes overall seem to be good cars now, but if they are not, many dealers are not willing to get the problem fixed. This statement is not only based on the forums, but somebody from work had experienced it over and over.
    Never heard anything bad about Lexus.
    I think you should take an extended test drive of those cars you consider and then make a decision.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Posts: 111
    That's a great car that is frequently overlooked. What kind of gas mileage do you get with that?
    The M-series is noisey, but not bad in vibration and harshness. The Genesis excells in all three, so if others can fit in with missing pieces, I think it should be here as well.

A Toyota Camry V6 has very low NVH. Is that now luxury performance sedan as well?
    I purchased an 2009 Acura RL two month ago.

I'm curious as to what kind of deal you got. Last I checked Acura was selling around 300 RLs a month, which works out to a little more than 1 per dealer. I'm sure they are giving them away now.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Well, the second part to that is the quality and content of the contents of the car...how things are finished, how they look, their fit, and function. No, a Camry doesn't cut it for luxury car, although very reliable, but in my opinion, quite bland.
    Even though it doesn't sell well, the RL is one of my favorites also. If you recall, the Acura Legend started the whole upscale second channel movement. The RL always fares well at Consumer Reports.

Part of the luxury car experience is having an upscale dealership that takes care of their customers and Acura does a good job of this. Much better than BMW, Mercedes, or Audi IMO.

• jensadjensad Posts: 388
    I agree with you. I purchased a 08 RL one year ago yesterday and I paid $ 42500 plus tax, which also included the add ons i.e. the $ makers for the dealer, wax, underseal, ect. The inflated sticker price was $ 52000. This was a tech package.

After several trips to the dealer to try to repair the "chip" in the radio/combo they got me a new radio. Just like the dealer did in 1987 with my then new Acura Legend.

Service has been great and as usual, I find the dealer does take great care of me. Much better than the Lexus dealer did when I had a rx 330. I changed back to Acura due to problems with the transmission in the rx 300 and my Lexus was an early rx 330.

Got static over on Lexus site when I posted that but I did not want to take the chance of a bad transmission as I approached the 48 k/4 yrs. warranty so I got back into an excellent RL.

Good luck and stay safe.

jensad
    how things are finished, how they look, their fit, and function.

It's very hard to define a category by things like how nice the leather feels, or whether the buttons click like an Audi's, or clack like a Chevy's. It's far easier to say that luxury badge + $45-70K price tag + 190-ish inches in length = mid-lux car. Every single car listed on the board qualifies.
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    It's very hard to define a category by things like how nice the leather feels, or whether the buttons click like an Audi's, or clack like a Chevy's. It's far easier to say that luxury badge + $45-70K price tag + 190-ish inches in length = mid-lux car. Every single car listed on the board qualifies.

Lots of things worth doing aren't "easy" to do. The logical conclusion of your statement is: a car built absolutely identically to a car on this board is automatically disqualified, if it's too affordable or comes from the "wrong" carmaker.

Sorry, I'm not buying it, Lexusguy. Or more accurately, if it starts coming in AWD form, quite possibly I AM buying it. The only thing your "incumbency" argument ("every car listed [so far] qualifies") really proves is that the Genesis is indeed the game changer its boosters say it is.
    Lots of things worth doing aren't "easy" to do. The logical conclusion of your statement is: a car built absolutely identically to a car on this board is automatically disqualified, if it's too affordable or comes from the "wrong" carmaker.

If you accept that price doesn't matter, badge doesn't matter, and it doesn't matter if maybe some of the materials used are of average quality, then you must open the floodgates. The Genesis can't be given special treatment, because frankly its no different than any of the other cars in the upper-mainstream segment. You have to let in the Chrysler 300, the Ford Taurus, the Buck Lucerne, the Nissan Maxima, and the Pontiac G8.

Once you've done that, you've lost the plot of the board. In any case, I think there's a functional limit as to how many cars can be the "focus" of a board like this, if I remember correctly, so this entire argument is probably moot.
  • mandfmandf Posts: 3
    I was thinking of buying a GS300, but when I went to the dealer to test drive one, I found that it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. Is this a case where I was expecting too much because I've read so many good reviews about the vehicle, is it my imagination or are the 300 series just bumpy rides. I felt almost every bump on the road. Does this have something to do with the run flat tires, are they making the vehicle more bumpy. The car was quiet, but bumpy.

Have other folks had the same experience, or did I simply get a bad vehicle. I read so may great things about comfort and smoothness that I thought the vehicle would glide, but I felt a very shaky bumpy ride. Do I need to go test drive a couple others or is this the way it is?
    Have other folks had the same experience, or did I simply get a bad vehicle. I read so may great things about comfort and smoothness that I thought the vehicle would glide, but I felt a very shaky bumpy ride. Do I need to go test drive a couple others or is this the way it is?

The GS is one of Lexus' sportier offerings. I would suggest test driving an ES350. If a smooth ride is your top priority, you'll probably like that car a lot better.
  • mgourdinmgourdin Posts: 1
    In regards to the auctions, I've actually been to Manheim with a friend whom has his dealer's license, and picked up a great A6 some years ago. I agree though that to do so, you should (which I did not) invest a great deal of time in prep and homework. To this point, I actually have a question. Does anyone know if vehicles picked up at dealer auction, can then be CPO'd? Or are you more or less left with whatever, if any warranty is remaining?
    Did you mean GS350? Or are you looking at a used GS300?

I really have never known anyone who did not like the ride of the GS. Maybe not as sporty (rough riding) as some but definitely comfortable. I have not driven one with run flat tires, so yes, definitely find one without those abortions and please let us know how you do.

• gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Have any of you seen the new 2010 Lexus RX? I saw one in person last night at my health spa. I gotta tell you, I'm a BMW enthusiast driving a 328i, thinking about going to a CPO 5 series, but that Lexus was beautiful. Completely redesigned the cockpit. I gotta think that car has to be about $45K new, right? And NO deals. Why should they.