Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I have never owned an Audi but that might make a nice change. I would not rule one out in the future. It seems like sort of a compromise between BMW and Lexus.

That's a fair assessment. If you get a chance, drive an Audi at night. One of the things I like most about Audi is their fanatical attention to interior detail, and you really notice that at night when all the lights are on.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    Totally agree on the interior lighting of the Audis.

When researching the cars on the net, even Edmunds pics reflected the interior at night poorly. Too much glare, & a caption to the effect of a plane's cockpit at night.

I love how everything is lit with a nice, definitely, not too glaring red.
  • mobiusf1mobiusf1 Posts: 15
    True, it looks pretty sick at night
    I love how everything is lit with a nice, definitely, not too glaring red.

Indeed. I also like how the accent lighting, such as the button effect lights, are soft and don't clash with the main lighting. They are either amber or red, and are just bright enough to let you know at a glance that the button is on.

My wife's BMW uses ultra-bright green accent lights, which are distracting and clash with the overall orange hue. My favorite bit though is probably the little red LED strips above each door handle. I'm not positive, but I don't think anyone else has that.
  • mobiusf1mobiusf1 Posts: 15
    Actually, I love the little green lights. It's a nice contrast to the orange and its stands out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    Green/orange?

That's a nice color combo... I've seen that somewhere... Just can't place my finger on it.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• vavavavolvovavavavolvo Posts: 111
    Acura is about to release something very interesting at the NY auto show on April 8th that might fit into this discussion.

Stay tuned.
    Acura is about to release something very interesting at the NY auto show on April 8th that might fit into this discussion.

Yep, it's called the ZDX, and it seems to be a sort of cross between the X6 and 5 series GT - a tall sedan/SUV/coupe thing with a sloping roofline and a hatchback. I don't really get it.
    Those details you state about "tall" and "SUV" are probably wrong.

Stay tuned.
    Those details you state about "tall" and "SUV" are probably wrong.

They aren't wrong, and I'm not guessing. The ZDX is a jacked up hatchback/SUV/crossover or whatever you want to call it, intended to go after the X6. I guess they figured somebody had to challenge the X6, but I have no idea why. As I predicted, it's much uglier in reality than the concept renderings suggested. No need to stay tuned, here it is in all its.. er.. "glory".

The object pictured is neither tall nor an SUV.
    Here are the details:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/newyork/2009/2010acurazdxnew- s.html?mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3144472&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj2- 60233#2010acurazdxfint1

It is a 4 door crossover that is 61 inches tall.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Well, it is not an SUV - if it is a cross over. But, at 61 inch, it is tall for a sedan for sure. And just look at the picture, the ground clearance is high - again, for a sedan or a cross over, which might be a good thing as long as it has a good rollover rating.
    It is a 4 door crossover that is 61 inches tall.

Crossover, SUV, whatever. The label isn't important. My car is 56" tall, the Q5 is 65". So the ZDX is either a jacked up sedan, or a chopped SUV. Take your pick. My advice to Acura at this juncture would be to focus on their core products, and restyle them so that I don't have to suppress the urge to vomit every time I look at one. Chasing after microscopic BMW invented niches is not a smart move for a brand that is getting crushed by the competition.

It is nice though to see Acura join the 21st century with a 6-speed autobox.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... I guess they figured somebody had to challenge the X6...

:confuse:
    How quickly they forget. :sick: Infiniti was the first in that niche w/ the FX. And considering that the FX has been around for several years, it's BMW and (maybe) now Acura who are challenging the FX.
  • anagnianagni Posts: 2
    HELLO, I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A 2002 VOLVO S-80 T6 WITH 96,000 MILES.FOR $6750.00 . HOW IS THE PRICE AND WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR WHEN INSPECTING THE CAR??/ THANK YOU
  • willie2lwillie2l Posts: 12
    I can't help with the price but having owned several Volvos, which my wife has enjoyed driving, I suggest you look for a good extended warranty to pay for the not infrequent and expensive repairs. Best of luck with your purchase.
    Amen to that. These are not low maintenance vehicles. Unfortunately, they are the polar opposite.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    "If there is a chance you might be unfortunate enough to be T-boned in a side impact I would strongly re-think a list where you rate the new 5 series above the RL."

And yet the 5 series gets five stars or a "good" rating in most or all of the other categories in other tests. So yes, if you think you are likely to be t-boned by a "moving deformable barrier" (specifically on the driver's side and not the passenger side) and if you're the type of person who chooses a vehicle based on just one of several safety ratings, then and Acura RL is probably a good choice for you.

By the way, I also own a 2008 Volvo XC70, which has great safety ratings. But the brakes can barely handle the weight of the car and it is so ludicrously slow that it is actually dangerous to drive in heavy urban traffic and areas where agile driving is required (like frequent merging onto busy highways and beltways.) I'd rather drive the BMW that has the agility, braking, and performance to avoid an accident.

One of my best friends totaled a BMW after a car clipped him at 60 mph and flipped his vehicle over a highway guard rail. He walked away from that crash literally with only a cut on the forehead. So I'll take my chances with the "moving deformable barrier" in a BMW.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    "Chasing after microscopic BMW invented niches is not a smart move for a brand that is getting crushed by the competition."

Good observation and now BMW is inventing yet another micro niche with its BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/ConceptVehicles/5SeriesGT/Default- - .aspx