Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Looks like next year there will be
    a new M - an M56, from Infiniti.
    Interesting...

Indeed, where did you hear that? The next M is definitely coming soon, but there was talk about no V8 at all this time, with the options instead being M37 and some sort of M hybrid. A new M50 would be logical enough, but M56 implies the use of Nissan's truck engine, which makes no sense in a luxury car.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    http://www.nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=836&mid=1

08.14.2009 , Pebble Beach, Calif.
    2011 Infiniti M Makes Virtual Debut at Concours d’Elegance

Infiniti today provided an advanced look at the all-new 2011 Infiniti M performance luxury sedan at the 59th Annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. This is the third generation of Infiniti’s popular M and the first to be sold across all of Infiniti’s 32 markets around the world, including Western Europe.

Like the current Infiniti M, the next-generation design will be offered with V8 and V6 engines. The 2011 M models will be designated the Infiniti M56 and Infiniti M37 respectively, reflecting their more powerful, larger displacement engines. The M56 V8 is expected to offer more than 400 horsepower. For Western Europe, the M56 will be replaced by a V6 performance diesel.

The 2011 Infiniti M also features a completely redesigned body, with authentic sports sedan proportions and evocative new styling with a low front end and deeply sculpted fenders inspired by the Infiniti Essence concept car. The new M interior promises to be pure Infiniti, highlighted by the use of innovative materials, an advanced climate control system, superior audio and an enhanced quality feel. Despite improved performance from the new engine lineup, fuel consumption will be reduced.

In addition, the 2011 M will continue Infiniti’s technology innovation leadership with a blind spot intervention system. This industry-first system is designed to help alert the driver if another vehicle is detected in an adjacent lane during an intended lane change, and then help assist the driver in returning the vehicle toward the center of the original lane of travel.

The 2011 Infiniti M, which is scheduled to go on sale across the world starting from spring 2010, was revealed through a unique “video mapping” process – in which a “virtual M” was created on a 3D form. It is the world’s first “virtual only” (no physical vehicle) automotive application of this cutting-edge technology. The 2011 Infiniti M will make its official public debut later this year.
  • barryendbarryend Posts: 121
    The new M is a beauty. I hope they cured the bad steering, bad ride, noise and trammeling issue. My 2006 M35X was a horrible ride. Love my 2009 Audi A4 with sports package.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 169
    What about rear seat headroom? I'm 6-2 and usually have no problem with driver seat headroom. I have a teenage son who is already near 6-4, on his way to 6-6+. Just tested a CTS (with sunroof) yesterday and he was already up to the headliner in the back seat. Also tested the 2010 SRX (dealer had one just for the afternoon) and it had slightly more more headroom (about an inch). My current Audi Q7 has plenty of headroom except for third row of course. Anyway, which luxury sedans (or crossovers) should I be considering?
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Lots of luck! Since the public seems to think a sunroof is required on that type of vehicle, and they absorb 2-3" or more of headroom, you'll have problems. I'm also 6'2", but long-waisted. I didn't search much in SUV or cross-overs, but the only sedan in that class that had decent headroom was the M. Most of the SUV and cross-overs just used taller seats, and with the sunroofs, they weren't any better (at least in those I looked at - I prefer a sedan). The only car with more headroom than the M is the Genesis, and then only if you buy a stripper without the sunroof. All of the neat packages and the V-8 come with a sunroof.

I contacted the MB dealer, and they corporate, to see if they would offer the new E-class in the USA without a sunroof (they used to, and still do anywhere else in the world, but not here). With the sunroof, it's 37.9", without, it's 41.3", a huge difference! I'm still waiting for an answer - it's been about a month. Still hoping.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    Though I realize that the BMW 3 does not rise to the level of
    "Luxury" Performance Sedan [ by definition, here ]
    I was interested to see that the 2010 BMW 328, apparently both
    Coupe & Sedan now do NOT have the sunroof \ moonroof
    as standard - it is now a $1,050 option.
    PERHAPS this is the start of a trend?
    - Ray
    Seeing no reason for this NOT to be optional
    in the US of A....
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Well, BMW 328 is a very popular model and it can offer that. But, the sales volume of most (if not all) luxury performance cars are not large enough to justify offering both. As a result, they just opt for the most popular choice - with sunroof as standard.
  • Forget where I read it, but I think the 2010 E has a sunroof that goes over the top rather than into it. However, that could just be for the coupe with the "panoramic" sunrrof.
  • finally traded in my 07 Infiniti M35X and got a 2010 MB E class 4matic, and what a difference...
    This is a true luxury car with exceptional ride and comfort, everything is high quality and it looks great inside and out especially with AMG wheels.
    The M was more sporty but I never liked the ride and especially hated the engine noise. I also had issues with tramlining and had the tires replaced with only 5000 miles on them, but that is all over now and I am enjoying my new ride.
  • Go on your own blog.You are no longer one of us.See Ya!
  • Good Luck. A true luxury car with all black circles on reliability per Consumer Reports. :lemon: Hopefully your experiences will be better than what the masses are reporting. Go on their forum and read the horror stories. They even have a discussion titled "My E-Class is a lemon."
  • Chill out guys. It's just a car..and by the way...good one. I test drove lexus, Infinity and Acura and nothing comes even close to MB or BMW....but..it's a matter of taste. I'm not saying get out from here if you drive Lexus . You sound like a child....silly child...
  • Consumer reports gave the M the highest score and that was one of the main reasons that made me buy the car, and then I had all kinds of problems with it,
    I am not saying that the M is a bad car but it is not the right car for me and honestly I don't miss it.maybe I was not so lucky but my experience with Infiniti was not that good.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    Maybe "M" stands for misery and/or "M" stands for magnificant. It alwasy boils down to personal choice. I drive a Acura RL- tech, and I am most happy with it. And to me that is all that counts.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • April 2009 Consumer Reports recommends the E350 based on much improved reliability reports. E class '03-'08: 96 rated systems with 8 all black ones and 9 half black ones. While this is not good, it ain't that bad either. There are many, many more all red and half red circles as well. '08 had two half blacks only.
    Also, CR recommended the E350 along with the M35, Audi A6 and BMW 535i as good midsized luxury cars.
    BTW, April issue is the basis for all of their quarterly issues for the most part.
    In points, the E350 essentially scores second to M35 in its class and above 10 other cars. They rate two M's and two E350's.
    Should reliability be better than this. You bet.
    If you think you see lots of complaints on MB Forum, check out the Hyundai Azera and Genesis forums, as well as some others.
    BTW, CR is not all that accurate anyway due to the demographics of their subscribers, the inaccuracies of their surveying and the small sample for some models. I know, I am a member and for last two years had to ask them to send me the darn survey.
    Which brings up the question, if MB, BMW, et. al. are so bad and CR is so accurate, why do their members buy the cars?
    BTW I have looked real hard at the M and test driven three of them and evern with good offers, just don't like the car. Feel squeezed in, noisy and doesn't ride that well.
  • The E class has always been the work horse of the Benz line. Stray from that model either up or down, and quality control issues galore arise.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    I don't particularly like my M, and spent nearly $1k on soundproofing to make it less stressful on a long drive on the interstate (which helped, but it still isn't as quiet as the previous A6), but it was the only car I had enough headroom in. I looked at the MB new E-class, and it is too tight. Now, if I was bald, it wouldn't be a problem! Well, I don't like having to duck to see under the mirror or see a traffic light if you are first in line, but you get used to it after awhile. After a month of thinking about it, Mercedes US decided they wouldn't build one without a sunroof for me like they do in nearly any other country in the world. WIthout the sunroof, headroom goes from 37.9" to 41.3". I think if more people realized how much more open the car feels when you have more headroom, even if you don't really need it, they wouldn't covet the sunroof, what with the loss, and the extra weight high up and the $1K or more it costs (better spent on other, neater gagets!). Insurance costs are lower without a piece of glass in the roof, and it has to be stronger without it, too.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The E class has always been the work horse of the Benz line. Stray from that model either up or down, and quality control issues galore arise.

Not necessarily. The E class was one of the first to get MB's electronic brake system, which they later had to remove because it was so unreliable. All Mercedes models were terrible from around 2000-2006 or so, E class included. They are supposed to be better now.
  • That seems strange to me. Here in Tampa, Florida, on the road, I see G37 sedans two to one versus the current Acura TL. I hardly
    have seen the current TL on the road much around Tampa.
  • I hear you on that one, Houdini! I hate the sound of the 4 cylinders on start up because they sound so weak once you turn the ignition key.