Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,768
    Your link would not work for me but I agree that Infiniti makes some great cars !!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• m4mm4m Posts: 76
    "...M45x is not a car you see often because the crowd tends to move towards BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi when shopping in this segment. However, I think this car more than holds its own in this segment."

http://www.nadaguides.com/Garage-Blog/2009-Infiniti-M45x.aspx#continue

link has been fixed
  • And your point is? Two problems on new cars and both fixed as far as I could tell.
    With the technology and other features on today's luxury cars, there is far more room for error. Lexus dealer told me that in some LS460's they were having to replace whole engines due to problems, not to mention others they "refined".
    This is one of problems with reliability surveys, many of the worst case scenarios never get reported or surveyed.
    Mercedes have always had their share of electronics problems and probably always will. That is just the way it is.

Whole engines being replaced in the LS 460? I guess anything is possible. Do you have a link or did you just make that up? :)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• When I see comments here quoting Consumer Reports as supporting reasons to or not to do something with respect to this class of cars, I am unmoved. Indeed, if Consumer Reports liked this or that car, I would ALMOST consider looking much more carefully at the one they didn't like.

It is, of course, a free country and to each his or her own, but a combination of edmunds, Car and Driver and about 3 other enthusiasts magazine reviews typically would sway me more than anything Consumer Reports writes.

Sure the manufacturer makes the car, but the dealer makes the ownership experience (at least that has worked for me for well over two dozen cars) bad, fair, good or great.

Test drive the cars you are considering in EXACTLY the same way on the same roads, with the same tunes on the sound systems with the AC set at the same temp, etc, etc, read the passionate published reports, view the you tube videos, WHATEVER, just do like George Castanza, "the opposite" of what Consumer Reports says, and you will be a happier camper.

:shades:
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    just do like George Castanza, "the opposite" of what Consumer Reports says, and you will be a happier camper.

CR's recommendations for similar cars in mainstream categories are pretty accurate. For example, the highest rated family sedans are the Altima, Accord, and Legacy, which is a reasonable assessment. The two worst rated in that class are the Sebring and Avenger, and buying one of those two because CR hates them is a very bad idea.

The trouble starts in categories like luxury sedans, where they are comparing totally different cars in different size and price classes, and they begin to lose all credibility. The Acura RL is a better car than the A6, 5 series, and A8? Really CR?

The "sporty cars" section has similar problems, like having a Scion tC in the same section as a BMW 135i.

I also find it rather offensive that paid subscribers are expected to pay again for "premium" access to things like pricing guides and full track test data. Wow, you sure can't get that anywhere else!
  • I wish there was someway to determine the ROI of the RL since it's inception. To me, it seems like money thrown down the crapper based on sales figures here in the US. I can't believe it does much better in other markets, like the A6 being solid around the world if not here, but I could be wrong.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    What to look for/be careful about? I come from a generation of owning Japanese cars - the only American car I owned, gave me no end of trouble. I am attracted to Volvo for ride comfort, ease of entry and exit, space (family of four) and a dash of driving fun. Too much to ask? Why do people buy a Volvo nowadays when all cars are equally safe? Is there a better choice for about the same chunk of change?
    Thanks all. Also, I would not mind somebody trying to knock some sense into me.
    I wish there was someway to determine the ROI of the RL since it's inception. To me, it seems like money thrown down the crapper based on sales figures here in the US. I can't believe it does much better in other markets, like the A6 being solid around the world if not here, but I could be wrong.

Good question. It's sold as the Honda Legend in Japan and Australia, but I'm not sure where else. I don't think Honda sells anything above the Accord Euro in Europe. I can't imagine that Australian and Japanese sales account for much, especially considering Japan's terrible domestic auto market these days.

If I were a long time Acura dealer I wouldn't be very pleased with HQ these days. They took away the Legend and replaced it with a barge that has never sold. They turned the ugly knob up to 11, and just after many dealers completed significant and expensive upgrades to their stores in preparation for the brand's "tier 1" upmarket push, Acura decided that because of the economy they're going to completely abandon that idea, and scrap everything they were working on. Maybe there will be a new RSX for 2013. There's something.
    I am attracted to Volvo for ride comfort, ease of entry and exit, space (family of four) and a dash of driving fun. Too much to ask? Why do people buy a Volvo nowadays when all cars are equally safe? Is there a better choice for about the same chunk of change?

The previous generation S80 was never more than a middling car. The seats are OK, but not nearly as comfortable as some Volvos past. Rear legroom and trunk space are average for a mid-size car. The 2.5T is reasonably quick in the S60, but it's weighed down by the S80 and is on the sluggish side. I suppose it depends on what you would consider a "dash" but the S80 was about as fun to drive as an Avalon or Hyundai Azera. Brutal depreciation makes them affordable, but service bills will be just as high as a BMW or Mercedes shop.

I wouldn't say that "all" cars are equally safe, but a Volvo is no safer than an Audi, Honda, Subaru, etc. I'm not sure why people buy them. Other than their safety rep which is largely irrelevant these days, Volvo doesn't specialize or excel at anything. Their powertrains are always a generation behind the real luxury players, and their electronics are stuck in the stone age.

As an alternative to the Volvo, I would suggest looking at '08 Accords. They have similar space, and are more involving to drive. The Accord is also something you could keep for a long time, whereas high mileage Volvos tend to become maintenance hogs.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    "It's sold as the Honda Legend in Japan and Australia, but I'm not sure where else. I don't think Honda sells anything above the Accord Euro in Europe."

In addition to the Accord, the Legend is sold over here too.

Regards,
    Jose
    The trouble starts in categories like luxury sedans, where they are comparing totally different cars in different size and price classes, and they begin to lose all credibility.

Forbes just named the the Jaguar XF as one of the top ten clunkers to avoid. Part of their "research" came from CR. The Mercedes GL 450 also made the list.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

Forbes just named the the Jaguar XF as one of the top ten clunkers to avoid. Part of their "research" came from CR. The Mercedes GL 450 also made the list.

I struggle to think of worse automotive "journalism" than the stuff from Forbes. Their articles are entirely meaningless. Just words on paper. About as bad as Jean Jennings.
  • We have just eaten $5000 replacing the transmission on our S-80. We have had Volvo's all our lives and this is a first. It's a 2004 and we contacted Volvo of America, but they would only give limited assistance. Something isn't right here. We have never experienced this problem through the years. You would think that since we go religiously for service that a company such as this would have been more helpful. Sadly, I am no longer impressed with these cars - the track record is out the window.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    What miles?
    [ Edit:
    And what model \ motor ? ]
    Assuming that you are out of MFR warranty period,
    4 years \ 50,000 miles,
    - just curious - what exactly did you expect from Volvo?
    - Ray
    Drove several Volvos many miles - back to a PV544 in College..
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,885
    In case you haven't already read, the T6 uses a GM transmission and is prone to failures. I would dump the car ASAP.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

"I would dump the car ASAP. "
    Well - just having put $5K into a car worth something
    like $10-$12K -
    and having replaced the trouble-prone component,
    I'm not sure that is the most prudent course...
    - Ray
    Out $5K, I think I'd keep it and hope to
    amass a few more $$s before changing cars...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,885
    well, ok, I was overstating it a bit. Yes, with a new trans, I would hold it for a while, but not TOO long.

Oh, and its only worth maybe $8k on a trade. I wouldn't have spent $5k on it in the first place. But that's me.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

"Member Since: November 18, 2009 "
    And only this one post.
    Oh, well....
    My point here was only that the mfr wty is
    [ whatever it is ]
    and I would NOT expect the mfr to pay for
    the full cost of any major repair past the terms.
    Else why set terms?
    Just my 0.2 gallons worth...
    - Ray
    Personally, would not have a Volvo
    [ or any other car ]
    past the mfr mty....
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    On the Nissan home site, they posted a press release on the new Fuga, which will be the new 2010 Infiniti M when it hits the US in March. While there have been pictures floating around, these show the (Japanese) production car and discusses some of the new stuff available in the car. The (real) silver powder used in the finish of the wood give it an elegant look. They use active noise-cancelling technology to quiet the cabin. One speaker in each door panel and one on the rear deck. It's incorporated with the Bose stereo. That's one thing I really don't like on my 2006 M, the sound level is still annoying on a long (boring) trip on the interstate after spending about $1k on adding noise mats (Dynamat) to the whole thing except for the roof. Anyway, you can read it yourself at http://press.nissan-global.com/EN/CORPORATE/report2009.html#091119