Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I'm not sure I want all that power going through the front wheels in the SS. Matter of fact I'm sure I don't. Nothing like making a pig handle worse than can be imagined.
    I would stick with the Taurus like LG recommended. Gm products are worth about as much as a dirty diaper in your left hand.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    If you like the look the dodge charger could be a player. RWD or AWD. Big discounts on new ones. Nice size but visibility issues.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I've done some quick research on the Impala, and probably the only one I would consider is the SS model.

I am also considering the LS430 - looks like you can get a decent 2007 model for my price range.

I wouldn't recommend the Impala SS. GM did some lazy engineering to try and deal with the torque steer and handling problems, but none of it really worked and its a generally lousy car. It has none of the tricks of say, a Focus RS to deal with big power to the front wheels. If for whatever reason you want something GM, a Pontiac G8 would be an infinitely better choice than the Impala.

2007 is the first year of the current LS460. In my area they are available for $37K or so with 30-40K miles, which is actually a pretty good deal. It's a lot of car for the money, certainly much more so than any new Hyundai Genesis for similar cash, and it makes the Impala look like a Stanley Steamer by comparison.

The tech in the LS460 is as up to date as just about anything you can buy right now, with the exception of uber-tech cars like the S-class, or the latest Audi A8. I prefer the touch screen system it uses to the silly mouse system in the latest RX350.

If $37K isn't too much, (and there may be some deals to be had for less) the 460 is definitely a better choice than an old gen 2006 LS430.

I owned a '96 LS400, and an '01 LS430. I put over 150K miles on both, and they were about as trouble free as you could ask for. The LS is not a car that makes you want to seek out that winding road. Its job is to make your journey as comfortable and relaxing as possible, and its very good at what it does. If you're stuck in traffic, there is no better place to be.

The only reason I'm not still driving one is that I'm doing a lot less long highway trips now, and I wanted something capable of stirring the blood up a bit so I bought an Audi S6.

I think the LS is the best car Lexus makes, and I would highly recommend a test drive.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    They are selling 2010 Azeras with nav---2k miles for 24k. Drove one and it was plenty quick and semi-luxurious inside.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,770
    edited May 2010
    I would second the motion for the LS. By all means take a test drive. I actually still prefer the last model year of the LS 430 (06). It just seems to be the perfect size for me.

You should be able to find a certified 06 LS 430 with relatively low miles for around $30,000. or maybe less. Being certified gives you 3 more years of warranty or up to 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty is from Lexus and is virtually the same as the new car warranty.

Unbeatable highway cruiser and very comfortable around town. I would not call it a performance sedan, more toward the luxury side, but it is very capable.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    Remember the OP was wary of getting a used Infinti M35 because his boss drives one. I wonder what his boss will think when the OP drives up in his LS 4xx?

Now, about that raise you wanted.......

:) :)
    edited May 2010
    Remember the OP was wary of getting a used Infinti M35 because his boss drives one. I wonder what his boss will think when the OP drives up in his LS 4xx?

Now, about that raise you wanted.......

Yeah, that's what led me to suggest the Taurus as a possible alternative. I don't think showing up with a Lexus LS would be nearly as bad as say, an S-class or 7 series, or arguably even an E or 5, but it still might be an issue.

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Lincoln MKS. Like all Lincolns its a little bit nicer than the Ford (Taurus in this case), and its retail premium is in no way justified. Fortunately the market corrects Fords pricing optimism in a hurry. An '09 MKS can be had around here for $25K. The Lincoln badge carries about as much weight as a Volvo or Saab, and shouldn't offend anyone with an Infiniti.
  • ddeliseddelise Posts: 339
    Everyone - thanks so much for the responses. The discussion is really making me think about what I need and helping me refine things.

As I think about this, my requirements are:
    1. Luxury/near luxury car
    2. Some sporting feel. Even though I will be driving to/from work 90% of the time, every now and then I would like to be able to have a little bit of fun.
    3. Ability to carry 3 kids - ages 5,5 and 8
    4. Ability to fit 3 kids worth of stuff in the trunk
    5. I will probably keep the car for 6 years, so it needs to be somewhat reliable. Extended warranty is a must.
    6. Since I am keeping for so long, needs to have decent technology.

I was considering the Pontiac G8, but I think it fails on points 5 and 6.
    I think the 2006 Lexus LS fails on points 2 and somewhat 6.
    I think a 2007 Lexus LS fails on point 2 only but is probably out of my price range.
    I think a 2009 Genesis 3.6 hits on all points.
    I think a 2010 Ford Taurus hits on all points if in SHO trim.
    I think a 2008 Infiniti M35 hits on all points except points 3 and 4, especially as they get older.
    I think a 2009 Lincoln MKS hits on all points other than point 2.

So, am I really settled in on the 2009 Genesis, 2010 Taurus SHO, or 2009 MKS?

I've never had a car for more than 4 years (all from new), so this will be my first used purchase that I will keep for 6 years.

Thanks Again - and please keep the feedback coming.
    So, am I really settled in on the 2009 Genesis, 2010 Taurus SHO, or 2009 MKS?

It sounds like you're starting to get a handle on what you want, so now you should spend the time to really get a feel for each car. If it's possible, try to drive them all on the same roads.

One very important note about the Genesis: its top safety pick award from the IIHS applies only to cars built January 2009 and after. You should avoid any '09 Genesis built in '08. They didn't do so well in their frontal crash test. Both the Taurus and the MKS aced their tests, so there's nothing to worry about there.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    Before purchasing any Hyundai product, take it for a long trip over various types of road surfaces. Biggest complaints about Genesis and Azera is the ride quality. Probably not a bad idea for any car, but especially Hyundai.
    Try to drive it without a sales rep in car.
    Voice of experience.
  • m4mm4m Posts: 76
    edited May 2010
    I think a 2008 Infiniti M35 hits on all points except points 3 and 4, especially as they get older.

4. Ability to fit 3 kids worth of stuff in the trunk

You'll have plenty of room to move in Infiniti M35. Rear headroom (inches): 37.8, rear hip room (inches): 53.9, rear leg room (inches): 37.3, rear shoulder room (inches): 56.9 and interior volume (cu ft): 105.2 It also features a very respectable 14.9 cubic feet of luggage capacity in its trunk space. Its 20-gallon fuel tank will allow you to travel an easy 350 miles before needing filled again. Make no mistake about it: price point considered, the M35 will stack up nicely against just about any vehicle

5. I will probably keep the car for 6 years, so it needs to be somewhat reliable. Extended warranty is a must.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0910/gallery.consumer_reports_most_rel- - - - iable_cars/4.html

HTH
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    edited May 2010
    "5. I will probably keep the car for 6 years, so it needs to be somewhat reliable. Extended warranty is a must.
    6. Since I am keeping for so long, needs to have decent technology.

I was considering the Pontiac G8, but I think it fails on points 5 and 6."

If you could find a used 2009 G8 GT, with less than 36,000 miles
    [ like mine ]
    you could substantially extend the wty with GMPP.
    Not sure what you mean here by 'decent technology',,,?
    - Ray
    Very pleased with my G8 GT - so far...
    I have been very interested in the G8. But to points:

5. I am thinking that parts/expertise will be hard to come by in a few years with this car. So having an extended warranty might not be too helpful. This is probably overstated, but a concern I have nonetheless.

6. What I mean by decent technology is up to date electronics like the Sync system and a modern Nav (should I decide to get it). I also mean nice creature comforts like backup camera/cooled seats/backup sensors/etc. I don't think the G8 has this.

But what the G8 does have is a nice sized back seat and trunk, nice ergonomics, and by far the sportiest ride of any of the other cars I am considering (save perhaps the M35).

Help me get over my perceived negatives on points 5 and 6!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2010
    ... Help me get over my perceived negatives on points 5 and 6!

[grabs you by the shoulders and give you a good shake and a slap, 1940's style]
    Get over it!
    That was easy - just put in a bid on ebay for a G8 :) !
    Re: Genesis. Make sure you take it on long drives over various road surfaces. Lots of complaints about the ride/suspension.
    Same advice on Azera as on Genesis. You really need to test the ride/suspension. If you get a used one, make sure it was not a "buy back" and they are out there.
    Thanks - will do so. I should get the opportunity this Thursday - will come back with a report then.
    Thanks for the info - I was not aware of the same situation with the Azera.
  • m4mm4m Posts: 76
    edited June 2010
    Nissan North America Inc. has taken legal steps to create a performance segment for its Infiniti Division product line, similar to its larger luxury rivals Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

Nissan has filed for trademark protection for the names "IPL" and "Infiniti Performance Line," according to documents on file with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. According to the applications, the IPL trademark would cover the brand's use of "high-performance motor vehicle parts," including turbochargers and superchargers for engines, cat-back exhaust and muffler systems, shifter knobs, suspension parts, brakes, sports seats and off-road headlights. A spokesman at Infiniti's North American headquarters in Franklin, Tenn., declined to discuss the trademark filings or the brand's product plans. This month in Louisville, Ky., the vice president of the Infiniti Business Unit, Ben Poore, told reporters that he intends to reveal a new performance-oriented offering this summer. He did not elaborate.

we will find out on 8/11 in Pebble beach:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/infiniti-performance-line-ipl-is-coming-this-- year/