Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    These observations are skewed heavily toward M products only and the tone would steer me away rather than welcome me if I were an Audi owner for 30 years.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    Which observations?
  • g35coupe1g35coupe1 Posts: 17
    "I bought -- after having leased cars for a number of years I decided to stop "renting"! Before you ask, I paid (shudder) MSRP, but in all fairness I was able to walk-away from existing G35 lease with no penalty."

Pasgener, I am thinking of getting the M and that would entail me getting out of my G35 coupe lease... I havent got an early term quote yet however. Did you get one? was it zero and you could walk away or did the dealer "help" you out of it for buying and new M? I have a pristine 2003 6MT with low miles so I am wondering(hoping) I can just walk away and into an M.

I must say I think the G35 coupe has held its value as well as anything I have ever owned, doesnt count my Harley's, those appreciated :) I am very impressed with Infiniti and their pipeline of products over the last few years..especially the M.

Any details you can offer up how you got out of your lease, I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks Doug.
    dougg21@yahoo.com
  • pasgenerpasgener Posts: 33
    g35coupe1 -

No, the dealer "helped" me by buying out the lease, and then selling the car themselves.

If your coupe has low mileage and is in good condition, then I'm sure that you have some theoretical "equity" in it, as the street price will be substantially greater than your lease buyout.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    JJ..."These observations are skewed heavily toward M products only and the tone would steer me away rather than welcome me if I were an Audi owner for 30 years."

Richcream...Which Observations?

JJ....Your post #1384
  • g35coupe1g35coupe1 Posts: 17
    Thanks, your info much appreciated
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    MotorWeek had the M35x on tonight. They concluded that it was a better buy than the M45. Other than that not much to the review because Motorweek hardly every says anything bad about any car. Sort of like having Mr. Rogers do the test drive. The car looked impressive though. I like the non-sport models look.

M
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Merc1, I agree, Motorweek praises virtually every car they "test." So it's worthless. Have you also noticed that their resident mechanic, on his weekly segment, is usually pushing some product or other? Stealth commercials! Compare the car guys on NPR.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah the all-knowing Pat Goss. He is quite knowledgeable though.

I think out of all the automotive TV shows, Auto, Motor und Sport was the best. I say was become something with the German Soccer league has stopped production.

This show used to show the cars that MW, MT and Car and Driver TV shows were months even years behind in testing. It was especially good for those of us who like European cars. The best drivers and stories and comparos you could even want to see on TV!

Motorweek is an old show and it shows. Lots of dead weight and probably one or two comparos a year and the most lame commentary on TV, but oh well it the first automotive TV show I'd ever seen way back in high school so I keep watching. Wierd huh?

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I think the most damning thing I've heard from MW is that stopping distances were "a tad longish". Even the review of the new GS that Lexus posted on their own website is more useful than a MW "review". My favorite Car focused TV show was the British 5th gear. Now THESE guys were not remotely afraid to tear apart a car if they didnt like it. While all of the American mags were gushing over the C6, 5th gear was the only one to bash the 19th century leaf spring suspension.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Keep in mind that Fifth Gear and Top Gear are both shows that hate all things American.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    What about G products? I think they're doing OK. ;)

The tone? Not sure what you mean.

As far as steering away or welcoming a loyal Audi owner of 30 years, I think just such an Audi owner has repeatedly expressed his dissappointment and aggravation with Audi in these forums, no?

I don't think things like the lack of a salesperson's or carshoppers' enthusiasm should dissuade anyone from getting this, or any, car they like. To that observation, I would say: give it some time...Infiniti salespeople and owners haven't had very much to be passionate about in the past. It looks like that may be changing for the better.

The M is a great car, and for the moment, it would appear that for the money it's the best car out there.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    A Detroit-bashing TV show--that would fit in nicely on this board! Seriously, guys, are any of you concerned that the American auto industry is dying a slow (maybe not so slow) death? Aside from our interest here in this or that car, what about the larger issue of the death of the U.S. industry--what is that going to do to the COUNTRY and the millions of American workers depending on it? Not a pretty picture.
  • bsc1bsc1 Posts: 32
    Hi Rich-
    I too was torn between the M35x and The Audi A6. Both are great cars and drive real nice, but I've heard about the problems that the Audi owners were having and that helped me make my decision to go for the M. I'm going to drive it again this week, but probably still wait a month or two before getting it.
    I have a 2002 Lexus GS300- love it, but the 2006 just doesn't drive as nice as the M (IMO)- same with the RL.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    "Seriously, guys, are any of you concerned that the American auto industry is dying a slow (maybe not so slow) death?"

I really am. I wish that Detroit would make better quality products, but I'm sincerely afraid that the auto industry will eventually go the way of the consumer electronics industry.

Who makes all the high-end TVs? Japanese and Koreans. Not a single American company.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Its not as bad as you make it out to be. For one thing, all of the "big three" have production outside of the US. Japan, Korea, and Europe makers continue to build new plants in the US. Who is the bad guy here? Is buying a 'bama built Mercedes bad? But a Chrysler built maybe in latin america good? Is there a difference?

The product related problems that detroit is having is entirely their own fault. When Impala and Taurus is the best they can do, people who remotely care about cars will turn elsewhere. Chrysler is starting to turn things around thanks mostly to the 5.7 and 6.1 versions of the hemi V8, and GM is clearly eyeing their success very closely, as the Vette engine seems to be showing up in a lot of cars as well. The worst off seems to be Ford. They dont have a super V8 to throw around, nor do they really have a car other than the Mustang that could actually benefit from one.
  • eee1eee1 Posts: 2
    I doo not think there is any comparison. The M is spacious (the rear seat is limo like, the trunk is huge). The GS is cramped. The M is a much more driver focused machine, where as the lexus is a finely engineered swiss watch with much less driver involvement. The M won a six luxury car comparo with ease in the March 2006 issue of motor trend magazine. The M is the gold standard in the industry for interior design at this point in time.
    Over the last twenty years I have owned V-8 BMWs, Mercedes's, Saabs, Infinitis,and one lexus 470 suv.
    I will tell you this, the Infiniti M35/45 is the only car I have been excited about in years. The new offerings from Daimler, BMW, Lexus and others leave me cold. (except perhaps the Scion Xb and the new mini)
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Hey Guys,

How about updating your profile to show where you live.

You can list city and state
    or
    just the state,

but it would be nice to know where some of the "usuals" are located.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    If the Big 2 don't want to die maybe they should engineer/build better cars! I for one, would love to buy a american made car by either General Motors or Ford. But let's face it they make very little that is attractive when you look at the competition.

FOr example, Pontiac gives us a nicely styled inside and out G6 but then they stick in a archaic V6 which for it's size provides little power and has crappy NVH levels. Where's the modern engine to go along with the modern car?

Then you have other big misses like the Pontiac Aztek. Do I need to say more?

Then they design new mid-size pickups with 5-cylinder engines in them when the competitors have big V6s. Get the picture?

How about Lincoln? Ford is just letting it die off.

The question you should be asking is to the Big 2(I don't know how you can really say Big 3, when Chrysler is owned by Mercedes). And that question is why do you consistently build cars that are overall inferior to the Japanese and Europeans?

And as another poster pointed before, where do you draw the line between who is american and who isn't? Would you like me to buy a a Chevy Equinox? Well, let's see the engine is made in China. Aren't a whole bunch of cars made by GM and Ford either manufactured in Mexico or Canada? That definately isn't American in my book. Yet on the other hand, Honda and Toyota build alot of cars in the US with 85% + north american content. Are they not american? They are made by American workers but they are plainly made better than the cars from GM & Ford.

Personally, the biggest problems with the American(big 2) is that they blame the rest of the world for their problems(cheap yen, cheap euro, etc.) and they blame high legacy costs like for pensions on all their problems. The dollar is weak right now and they should be gaining sales in the US. Are they? No. The other big problem is unions. They will kill the automakers because they spend more time fretting about pay & benefits than they do building quality products.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,047
    I watched a Sunday morning news program which had a segment on the NY Auto show. Of course editing can make a story say what the "journalist" wants it to say, but the premise was that more and more people are less and less likely to buy an American car.

They showed a new Buick La Crosse (SP?) and commented (actually the "person on the street" commented) that buying a 2005 Buick carried with it the "advantage" of acquiring a car with an engine that was basically a 20+ year old design. Conversely buying a new non-American car (and I think the example used was Japanese) generally would get you the most (or at least more) efficient and new technology and quality often for less money. The video article had sound bites from several people who were more than happy to give their opinions on why they would never seriously consider buying an American car.

The piece concluded with the notion that perhaps to "live long and prosper" that GM might be forced to shut down either Pontiac or Buick or MAYBE even both (a la Oldsmobile).

Further sticking it to the American automakers, the voice-over noted that Camrys and Hondas are made in the US and that they use current technology and have reputations for reliability equal to their Japanese built counterparts -- so it is clearly NOT just American workers that build "poor cars" -- because it is American workers who are building Toyotas and Hondas.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger.